NATION

PASSWORD

New theme: Rift

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Mobile bug: My nation page has the badges all overlapping weirdly on mobile. :blush:

Yikes.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:51 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Mobile bug: My nation page has the badges all overlapping weirdly on mobile. :blush:

Workaround: Resign as moderator, WA Delegate, and have your Commendation repealed. ;)

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:02 pm

[violet] wrote:

Workaround: Resign as moderator, WA Delegate, and have your Commendation repealed. ;)

Eh, or just brag about being the only nation I've found on my phone with a somewhat borked nation page on mobile. :P

Maybe I should work to be condemned, so I can mess things up even further ..... *plots*
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Wirbanskia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Wirbanskia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
[violet] wrote:Workaround: Resign as moderator, WA Delegate, and have your Commendation repealed. ;)

Eh, or just brag about being the only nation I've found on my phone with a somewhat borked nation page on mobile. :P

Maybe I should work to be condemned, so I can mess things up even further ..... *plots*

We need a like button for this.
Reploid Productions wrote: Warnings are not like Pokemon, you really should not be striving to catch them all.

Puppet of Lockdownn

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:31 am

[violet] wrote:
Jute wrote:Posting on Opera Mini seems to be fixed now, too. Mostly, at least, so thanks! :)

Oh really!? I didn't change anything. It's still broken for me on Opera Mini 10.0, which version do you have?

Like I said, Opera Mini 7.1 for Symbian.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:53 am

Hi, I'm not exactly sure where to ask this question, but what is the actual size in pixels of the banners you get for responding to issues, etc.? I'm trying to make a couple custom banners, and to make the transitions %100 seamless, just like they are between the ones provided by the game. To do this, I think the banners all need to be the same size, but it's all guesswork. For one thing, the maximum size (400x1200) does not actually fit with the "ideal proportions" (1:4).

Thanks in advance!
rəswɛsən

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Recuecn wrote:Hi, I'm not exactly sure where to ask this question, but what is the actual size in pixels of the banners you get for responding to issues, etc.? I'm trying to make a couple custom banners, and to make the transitions %100 seamless, just like they are between the ones provided by the game. To do this, I think the banners all need to be the same size, but it's all guesswork. For one thing, the maximum size (400x1200) does not actually fit with the "ideal proportions" (1:4).

Thanks in advance!

Your banners don't need to be the same size when you upload them, no. If you're working on a set, though, it's worth making them the same aspect ratio, since otherwise you might find that some are unexpectedly zoomed or cropped more than others.

There's no perfect answer to "what is the ideal size," because it depends on the dimensions of the screen of the viewer. People viewing your nation on a device with a narrow screen may see the banner with some of the left and right cropped, while people with very wide screens may see the top and bottom cropped. There is no guaranteed part of the image that will always display to everyone. But closer to the middle is safer, and it's far less common for the sides to be cropped than the top/bottom.

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venetoland » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Venetoland wrote:Suggestion for a banner: East Asian influenced architecture. I'm role playing as a Pacific Rim nation, would be cool to have architecture that matches.

Any thoughts on this Violet?

Consumer Regulated Donuts
Spokesperson

Founded: May 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consumer Regulated Donuts » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:20 am

I'm on an iPad (Safari), and every time I close the app Safari and reload NS defaults to the rift theme until I click on "The World", and then it goes back to my selected theme. Any idea why?
Last edited by Consumer Regulated Donuts on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer to be called "Donuts" over anything else, thank you!

Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18

Add +1000 Posts, established September 2012

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 am

Venetoland wrote:
Venetoland wrote:Suggestion for a banner: East Asian influenced architecture. I'm role playing as a Pacific Rim nation, would be cool to have architecture that matches.

Any thoughts on this Violet?

Find one and upload it yourself? Alternatively, go to this thread to suggest a new banner.

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venetoland » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:11 am

I'm not techie enough to upload my own. Thanks for the suggestion thread.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:55 am

What exactly causes you to unlock the banners for faith warriors and entertainment industry? The latter isn't listed on the compare page, and I never chose the option for faith warriors in any issue.
Also, asking again, is there a chance of getting alt-text for banners, so I'm not left wondering what a particular banner is standing for when I'm looking at other nations?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Jute wrote:Also, asking again, is there a chance of getting alt-text for banners, so I'm not left wondering what a particular banner is standing for when I'm looking at other nations?

Yes there is!

Scarfes
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scarfes » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 am

I gotta hand it to you guys, I love Dark Rift, and I will probably never change my theme out of Dark Rift.

Thanks for creating it! A round of applause and a cookie to you sirs! :clap:

Landenburg
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Landenburg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 pm

I've noticed that if I hit refresh on Internet Explorer, it shows some kind of asian text.

Weird glitch?

(it only shows it for a split second)
Last edited by Landenburg on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alas yonder woman, damn you tempt me with thy saucy bosom
thus methinks I shall bestow my codpiece in thee & make naughty love to my lady all night
Please haste hither & quench this torment fairest maiden
get some

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:45 pm

Landenburg wrote:I've noticed that if I hit refresh on Internet Explorer, it shows some kind of asian text.

Weird glitch?

Internet explorer :P

Is Rift meant to work with all browsers? IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc.?

Fortitudinem
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2013

Postby Fortitudinem » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Occasionally, RMB new RMB notices won't show up in my notices but then ones after that few minutes will be fine and actually show up.
Also, occasionally when I swap where I'm posting from (Device) all the notices since I last used that device will show as new.
"They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies." ~William Penn
"Three for Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them,
One ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
"

You are you, and that's what makes you great. Never forget this and you won't lose hope.
I've been dating Mystle since February 3, 2015. <3
Fortitudinem has Magic!

Yossarian Herr
Attaché

Founded: Aug 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yossarian Herr » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:00 am

Landenburg wrote:I've noticed that if I hit refresh on Internet Explorer, it shows some kind of asian text.

Weird glitch?

I've had a similar issue on my Chromebook, but only when the wifi reception was really bad
Ik ben geen Nederlander (of Vlaming). Probably obvious since my Dutch sucks.
Mourning the Washington Capitals' Stanley Cup dreams

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:04 am

What exactly results in unlocking the "Medieval" banner? I'm not sure how I rejected modern ways. Is opposing cloning embryos already enough for that?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:16 am

I've got a small idea/suggestion that could be added to the Rift theme.

Maybe it would be helpful to add a feature that allows nations to add certain happenings of OTHER nations to their notifications bar. It would probably be easier to integrate this with something NS already uses: Dossiers. Allowing nations to be notified about certain nations in their Dossier do might be an interesting feature, and helpful for people that have puppets and have a tendency to forget they exist, like myself. Being directly notified in Nationstates through a notification about my puppet nation's demise would be a useful little feature.

Of course, that's not the only use it would have, but you get the picture.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Alleniana wrote:

Weird glitch?

Internet explorer :P

Is Rift meant to work with all browsers? IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc.?

Yes, it is. The glitch described above is when your browser starts displaying the page before it's finished downloading the webfont that provides icons, and uses default glyphs instead. I'm not sure if there's a great solution for this.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 am

Hi, I am working on a NSindex article about the new theme: I just noticed that this humble page could be updated, since this has been the basis for much of my work on NationStates history.

Thanks in advance.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:53 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Hi, I am working on a NSindex article about the new theme: I just noticed that this humble page could be updated, since this has been the basis for much of my work on NationStates history.

Thanks in advance.

While it is a bit more work for you, in the meanwhile{until an admin answers}, you can perhaps use http://www.nationstates.net/page=news for at least some of the changes?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Divergia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divergia » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:28 pm

I've gotten to a population of 5 Billion, and I have yet to get the banner for it (Urban Sprawl), do I have to wait a day? or is something wrong?

EDIT: Using Google Chrome, I have disabled NS++
Last edited by Divergia on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

XENOS AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Please do not think that this nation represents any of our views, its quite the opposite actually

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Divergia wrote:I've gotten to a population of 5 Billion, and I have yet to get the banner for it (Urban Sprawl), do I have to wait a day? or is something wrong?

EDIT: Using Google Chrome, I have disabled NS++

Wait for the major update. You're -exactly- at 5 billion. The unlock criteria might be >5 billion.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical