NATION

PASSWORD

Why won't my computer display GIF files animated?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Why won't my computer display GIF files animated?

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:34 pm

I found a GIF I want to make my flag (for humor reasons): http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Mr+gorbach ... 128695.gif

So, I saved it so that I could resize it; however, now when I open it up on paint and my Windows photo viewer, it does not display the animation. I clicked on edit to see if it had removed it from GIF into jpg, but it said "you may not edit a GIF file. What is the problem?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:17 pm

There are online resources to easily resize gifs. That said, you're never going to get that gif down to a small enough size to be a flag and have it look good. It's 3.36MB. You'd have to get it under 50kB. It ain't gonna happen.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Luna Amore wrote:There are online resources to easily resize gifs. That said, you're never going to get that gif down to a small enough size to be a flag and have it look good. It's 3.36MB. You'd have to get it under 50kB. It ain't gonna happen.

Thank you.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Return to Technical