NATION

PASSWORD

Permanent Suppression

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Permanent Suppression

Postby Enfaru » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:06 am

Code: Select all
I actually think that Regional Founders / WA need to be given the power to permanently hide. At the moment NS++ circumvents this process, I'm not sure how but Regional Founders / WA Admin act as moderators for their RMB's to keep the peace. This is not just a case of suppression where another member can oppress another member (a feature I actually like) this is a case of rule breaking.

Regional Founders, WA Administrators and their appointed regional governments act as moderators for their RMBs to enforce the rules of both NationStates and the rules set forth by the region. Some posts for instance can threaten the community and break rules at the same time. The Suppression feature allows us to not pester the moderators each and every time there is an infraction. In otherwords we can deal with the problems ourselves.

NS++ thinks it's all a game and that if people want to spam the hell out of an RMB they should be able to. This means we have only two options left. One, ban them. Which considering the severity of the crime is meaningless or two report them to the moderators. Who are all volunteers and extremely busy, often not getting round to a report for up to 24 hours. Some people have been left waiting longer than that. In which time the damage is done and cannot be undone. In otherwords it's too late.

Therefore I'm asking for implementation of a feature to allow Regional Founders or WA with exec permissions to be able to permanently suppress or 'remove' RMB posts that cannot be unhidden/restored by anyone but a NationStates moderator or an Exec, according to the rules laid out both by the region, by NationStates and by Exec discretion.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:19 am

Suppression is available to allow regional admins to clean up their RMBs, but it's reversible to prevent autocratic regional admins from suppressing information for political or personal reasons. In addition, it is common for raiders to suppress all RMB posts, forcing natives to click on each post to read what's been posted. With a permanent suppression feature, raiders could legally DESTROY RMB conversations. Perhaps mods could undo it, but with raiders routinely suppressing 40+ regions in an evening's raiding, that's not a task I'm interested in undertaking.

Enfaru wrote:The Suppression feature allows us to not pester the moderators each and every time there is an infraction.

If it's an actual game infraction, you should absolutely be "pestering" us. That's what we're here for. We've even seen to it that you can click on the post's timestamp to get to an easy Report function. We'll be able to make a judgment on whether it breaks rules, without the drama of regional politics affecting our decision.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:52 am

and this is why I don't like and therefore don't participate in the raider defender game. -_-; It stops regional staff from actually managing regional affairs.

Edit...

Just a darn moment...

Frisbeeteria wrote:Suppression is available to allow regional admins to clean up their RMBs, but it's reversible to prevent autocratic regional admins from suppressing information for political or personal reasons. In addition, it is common for raiders to suppress all RMB posts, forcing natives to click on each post to read what's been posted. With a permanent suppression feature, raiders could legally DESTROY RMB conversations. Perhaps mods could undo it, but with raiders routinely suppressing 40+ regions in an evening's raiding, that's not a task I'm interested in undertaking.

That's exactly what the suppress feature is for! If the players don't like it, they can always go elsewhere. If you decided for instance (and yes, Frisbeeteria, prime example of autocratic dictator :P) to suppress every one of my forum posts. I would after a while, go elsewhere/create a clone of nationstates where it is less autocratic. In much the same way as players can start up their own regions or go to other regions.

Edit 2

Further more. If a raiders suppress conversations that's just a penalty of getting raided. Why should regions who have lost their regional founder be able to unsuppress posts. They should have thought about that.
Last edited by Enfaru on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 pm

To be fair, the FAQ does say:
FAQ wrote:My region's WA Delegate is an evil dictator who abuses her power! Make her stop!
Delegates are elected: if you don't like yours, it's up to you to get her unelected! Delegates are free to use or abuse their power as they see fit.

...which implies that Delegates are free to abuse their power.

Besides, to prevent abuse from R/D and tag raiding couldn't it just have a small influence cost? Almost all tag raid delegates don't have any significant amount of influence upon being elected anyway, and Raiders would not spend extra influence permanently suppressing posts when they need it to refound the region during lengthy occupations.
Last edited by Nephmir on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Enfaru wrote:Frisbeeteria, prime example of autocratic dictator

Why thank you! It's nice to be appreciated. I am, after all, an extremely transparent autocratic dictator, as virtually all of my arguments are viewable by all forum readers.

Nephmir wrote:couldn't it just have a small influence cost?

At first thought, not a horrible idea. On thinking about it though, I realize that feeder and sinker delegates tend to have enormous influence pools, and are enormously difficult to oppose politically. This is also true for many of the 100+ member regions, who often have long-established delegates with enormous influence balances. Giving them essentially complete control of the content of the RMB makes them all but impossible to dislodge.

Also, Founders don't get charged influence for any other change. I realize we treat Founders like vest-pocket kings, but I think that regional populations deserve at least ONE public outlet for dissent.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Enfaru wrote:Frisbeeteria, prime example of autocratic dictator

Why thank you! It's nice to be appreciated. I am, after all, an extremely transparent autocratic dictator, as virtually all of my arguments are viewable by all forum readers.

Nephmir wrote:couldn't it just have a small influence cost?

At first thought, not a horrible idea. On thinking about it though, I realize that feeder and sinker delegates tend to have enormous influence pools, and are enormously difficult to oppose politically. This is also true for many of the 100+ member regions, who often have long-established delegates with enormous influence balances. Giving them essentially complete control of the content of the RMB makes them all but impossible to dislodge.

Also, Founders don't get charged influence for any other change. I realize we treat Founders like vest-pocket kings, but I think that regional populations deserve at least ONE public outlet for dissent.

I see. Though suppression of opposing viewpoints is often a tactic exercised by governments or organizations to maintain order and to use as a medium for propaganda... as you are no doubt well aware.

All regions in NationStates are technically forced to have freedom of speech. I can't go and create an actual authoritarian dictatorship region, for example, since opposing political ideologies can enter a region and inspire rebellion on the RMB. Maybe a delegate shouldn't have the powers to permanently suppress, since he or she can be replaced, but a founder is for life- so shouldn't he or she have the ability to crush opposition? At the very least, nations that don't agree or like the lack of freedom of speech will leave for a region that allows conflicting ideologies.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:20 am

Enfaru wrote:Why should regions who have lost their regional founder be able to unsuppress posts. They should have thought about that.

Oh, really?!?
If the founder was controled by just one player, as is so often the case, then how exactly was the rest of the regional membership supposed to keep that nation in existence? Their only potential solution (under the current rules, without a succession mechanism) would be to replace it by re-founding the region... which would obliterate all of the existing RMB posts anyhows.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Cora II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cora II » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:37 am

@Bears Armed.

Everyone can always make back up from RMB and add it to the New Region's RMB after Founding/successful refounding.

If Founder player decides leave from the Game, he/she can give access of the founder puppet to a Successor. (Yes. I know very well that is not encouraged by Mods)

Living Community of a region can very well move if it is unable organize enough safe region for it's needs.

What comes to The topic. I do not see any extra value in permanent RMB suppressions made by others then players themselves to their own comments and by the Moderation for moderation needs. (Other issue is then should RMB deletions allowed for DEAT'd nations too)

Even in rather strict TBR Tagging Protocol RMB suppressions are on the lowest level of importance, usually it would take 30 seconds - 1 minute to unsuppress typical RMB of a TBR Tag.
• The Black Riders Witch-Z-Queen of Cimmeria 'Cora' • Raider Extremist • War Diary
• 618+ active updates, 11195+ raided regions, 3567+ times raider delegate, 158+ updates in command, 2870+ triggered raids, 35+ occupations, 307+ banjected WA-nations •

"Cut them down!"

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical