NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] Dispatch Improvement

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Schiltzberg
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

[IDEA] Dispatch Improvement

Postby Schiltzberg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:23 pm

It would be nice if similarly to how dispatches say how many reads they have, if they also said how many regions have pinned them to their WFE. Then, if you clicked on it, you could see which regions have done so. This would be helpful for the readers, but especially for the author. Then, it should also give the author the power to unpin his dispatch from a region, for example: a defender writes a dispatch telling people to help liberate this one region, but then some raider group pins it on their WFE for a joke. The author could then choose to unpin this dispatch even without the founder/delegate's consent.
Last edited by Ballotonia on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Removed poll.
Fan of: Baseball, Impractical Jokers, U2, Luxembourg, Chicago Cubs, Bob Dylan
Former President of the World Baseball Classic
Winners of World Baseball Classics 33, 35, 36, and 37
Proud Author of the World Baseball Classic History Factbook
Author of Poems, Poems II, and Poems III
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA
Fan of NationStates and Jennifer Government
SEND ME A TELEGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The people in my songs are all me."

-- Bob Dylan

Officially NationStates' #1 Dylan Fan

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm not sure if polls are how these suggestions are usually debated.

That said, the meat of the suggestion makes a great deal of sense.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Eluvatar wrote:I'm not sure if polls are how these suggestions are usually debated.

That said, the meat of the suggestion makes a great deal of sense.

True, I do suppose I have never seen a poll used in such a circumstance, but yes, thank you for your support. The idea is a good one in theory, but from a coding standpoint it may be more work than it's worth. No response yet from the mods, but I think that may be what they will say.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Schiltzberg wrote:he idea is a good one in theory, but from a coding standpoint it may be more work than it's worth.

Looks reasonable to me, but as you say...
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 am

Schiltzberg wrote:It would be nice if similarly to how dispatches say how many reads they have, if they also said how many regions have pinned them to their WFE. Then, if you clicked on it, you could see which regions have done so. This would be helpful for the readers, but especially for the author.

I agree with this part: if it were possible to code, it would be interesting to see.
Schiltzberg wrote: Then, it should also give the author the power to unpin his dispatch from a region, for example: a defender writes a dispatch telling people to help liberate this one region, but then some raider group pins it on their WFE for a joke. The author could then choose to unpin this dispatch even without the founder/delegate's consent.

I don't agree with this part. A founder's authority over a region should be absolute, even in matters like this. That's the whole point in being a founder! And while I suppose this kind of joking might be done mean-spiritedly, the exact opposite could also occur e.g. someone writes a dispatch on how to survive the zombie apocalypse, and then when someone from a different region they don't like pins it, they unpin it to spite them. It would just lead to tit-for-tat-ism.

So in favour of the first part, not in favour of the second part.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:52 am

The reason why I think it could be wise is out of concerns of, well, basically plagiarism. That said, as the dispatch's author remains quite clear, this may not be a serious problem.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:54 am

Eluvatar wrote:The reason why I think it could be wise is out of concerns of, well, basically plagiarism. That said, as the dispatch's author remains quite clear, this may not be a serious problem.

There's a Report button on dispatches to report plagiarism.

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:It would be nice if similarly to how dispatches say how many reads they have, if they also said how many regions have pinned them to their WFE. Then, if you clicked on it, you could see which regions have done so. This would be helpful for the readers, but especially for the author.

I agree with this part: if it were possible to code, it would be interesting to see.
Schiltzberg wrote: Then, it should also give the author the power to unpin his dispatch from a region, for example: a defender writes a dispatch telling people to help liberate this one region, but then some raider group pins it on their WFE for a joke. The author could then choose to unpin this dispatch even without the founder/delegate's consent.

I don't agree with this part. A founder's authority over a region should be absolute, even in matters like this. That's the whole point in being a founder! And while I suppose this kind of joking might be done mean-spiritedly, the exact opposite could also occur e.g. someone writes a dispatch on how to survive the zombie apocalypse, and then when someone from a different region they don't like pins it, they unpin it to spite them. It would just lead to tit-for-tat-ism.

So in favour of the first part, not in favour of the second part.

Thank you for your thoughts. Again, this is just an idea; it is not necessarily going to happen.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:No response yet from the mods

Mods don't have anything to do with code changes. This would take an admin to change.

Yes, I basically meant a higher ranking person in the game, but yes I should have said an admin.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA