NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] Change default setting when founding a region

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ravania Ultra
Attaché

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

[IDEA] Change default setting when founding a region

Postby Ravania Ultra » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:25 am

In light of the current tag-spree by Raiders, it might be a good thing to set default-setting when founding a region to switching off regional controls for the WA-delegate.

New players that found a region of their own might be discouraged and leave the game if they find their region tagged a few days after they created it. Most of them don't understand what's happening and get disappointed quite easily.
Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:27 am

How often do raiders tag new regions with founders?

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Perhaps Admin could take a look and see how often the regional controls are turned off after a region is founded. I would imagine 90% of the time it is turned off by the founder soon after founding. It would make more sense if it was default to have regional controls off. It also gives new players a chance to learn about controls if they wish to grant power to a Delegate.
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

Ravania Ultra
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ravania Ultra » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Luna Amore wrote:How often do raiders tag new regions with founders?

From last minor:

Alagaesia 12 days old
Simolia 2 days old
The Band of Gays 7 days old (3rd tag)
The Tekoma Islands 30 days old

Like you can see, not difficult to find examples.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Those are also very dead. 3 don't even have RMB posts. Founder doesn't care enough to initiate activity and protect the region, why should the game protect them by default?

Land filled with People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Those are also very dead. 3 don't even have RMB posts. Founder doesn't care enough to initiate activity and protect the region, why should the game protect them by default?

Because not every founder does not care.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:50 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Those are also very dead. 3 don't even have RMB posts. Founder doesn't care enough to initiate activity and protect the region, why should the game protect them by default?

Why should the game protect them by default? Call me crazy but the game should protect all players by default. Then when and if the controls are changed it is at the players choice and not the game leaving them vulnerable.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

A Dark Shadow
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 14, 2006
Right-wing Utopia

Postby A Dark Shadow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:46 am

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Why should the game protect them by default? Call me crazy but the game should protect all players by default. Then when and if the controls are changed it is at the players choice and not the game leaving them vulnerable.

And you expect the game to do their job for them? If they weren't sheep, the wouldn't be be shorn.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Land filled with People wrote:Because not every founder does not care.

If they care, then they can correct the problem. Game doesn't need to hold their hand.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Why should the game protect them by default? Call me crazy but the game should protect all players by default. Then when and if the controls are changed it is at the players choice and not the game leaving them vulnerable.

I fail to see the benefit. If it is a raid on a region with an active founder, the point is moot. It's a fairly innocuous way to introduce them to raiding.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 pm

I disagree. The game should always be on the side of the player by default and not set them up to be the victims of a raid in order to learn. The very least expectation is to by default provide a safe environment.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Land filled with People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:44 am

There shouldn't be a "problem" that needs rectifying in the first place. My understanding was founders were introduced - in part - to provide an opt-out from raiding. Given founders themselves are no longer deterrents to raiders, the least the game could do is to keep up with the times and provide a (slightly more effective) deterrent - non-executive delegates on founding.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:13 am

Luna Amore wrote:How often do raiders tag new regions with founders?

You would be extremely surprised at what the TBR stoop to (and it appears to be just TBR)

--

I know that there has been a push by His Holiness to encourage game-play, but the act of raiding when it does happen (frequently...) against a newbie who has worked hard on their region, suddenly finds themselves not online for a few hours and then find that their WFE has been destroyed, all tags wiped or changed to something else. A whole stream of stupidity on their regional message boards... Let me pose a different question. If you had a car delivered to your property, you would expect it to be locked by default. Why? Because even if it can't be stolen, people can still get in, destroy the interior and then scram (-_- it happened to me after sending it off for some customizing, it was entirely an accident on their behalf but). You would do as I do and have the car returned for restoration at the earliest opportunity.

If someone wants to take part in raiding and defending, there are plenty of ways for them to voluntarily go about it. There's no reason to drag them kicking and screaming into something that's most likely to make them close nationstates altogether and go elsewhere. It's a common theme on MMORPG's, you don't have a PvP area at the starting location unless you've got a very positive and helpful (usually very small) community.
Last edited by Enfaru on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Tatarica
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tatarica » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:20 am

Improving Wordiness wrote: It would make more sense if it was default to have regional controls off..

The game should always be on the side of the player by default and not set them up to be the victims of a raid in order to learn.

I agree with having the default regional controls off.

In a far-set alternate NationStates game, a new nation founding a new region might not be aware of the R/D specter of the game, and should not be introduced to it via this way, logging in 3 days to see that he's now in the Rejected Realms and his region is now some password-protected bastion of a joke.

Rifty
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:28 am

They should be keeping an eye on the delegate controls when setting up. I myself run a raiding region that is part of raider unity - we very rarely tag regions with founders. We only do it to prove a point...

For tag runs it's always founderless
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:39 am

Rifty wrote:They should be keeping an eye on the delegate controls when setting up. I myself run a raiding region that is part of raider unity - we very rarely tag regions with founders. We only do it to prove a point...

Doin' raidin' the right way. :).

I agree, they 'should' be keeping on eye on the delegate controls, but they are very easy to miss and for new players very easy to misunderstand what they do. I would have advocated making the WA Regional Controls setting a little more obvious with a more overt description (instead of it being hidden) and including a link to information about raiding and defending, but I don't think that it's an adequate solution to the problem.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Rifty
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:01 am

Enfaru wrote:
Rifty wrote:They should be keeping an eye on the delegate controls when setting up. I myself run a raiding region that is part of raider unity - we very rarely tag regions with founders. We only do it to prove a point...

Doin' raidin' the right way. :).

I agree, they 'should' be keeping on eye on the delegate controls, but they are very easy to miss and for new players very easy to misunderstand what they do. I would have advocated making the WA Regional Controls setting a little more obvious with a more overt description (instead of it being hidden) and including a link to information about raiding and defending, but I don't think that it's an adequate solution to the problem.

Well - what I would like seen is for there to be a link to the region building guide. However to a section explaining the controls. Now mine isn't ever getting stickies because I break too many rules - but if someone pulled their finger out and wanted to make a guide...citizens would give them all the info and such.

Path at way people can educate themselves while setting up the region ^,^

Off topic but I've been thinking of having all raiding/defender regions being forced to have a non-executive delegate.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:56 am

Land filled with People wrote:There shouldn't be a "problem" that needs rectifying in the first place. My understanding was founders were introduced - in part - to provide an opt-out from raiding. Given founders themselves are no longer deterrents to raiders, the least the game could do is to keep up with the times and provide a (slightly more effective) deterrent - non-executive delegates on founding.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:I disagree. The game should always be on the side of the player by default and not set them up to be the victims of a raid in order to learn. The very least expectation is to by default provide a safe environment.

The page explicitly tells you what the option does:
The region's World Assembly Delegate can access Regional Control. (?)

Delegates normally have access to Regional Control, allowing them to eject and ban nations from their region, suppress posts on the Regional Message Board, modify the World Factbook Entry, and institute a password. These actions cost a certain amount of Influence (which is accumulated by remaining resident in a region over time), meaning that new Delegates are relatively powerless compared to Founders.

Commonly, a Founder and Delegate will share access to Regional Control. If you wish, however, you can strip the Delegate position of this power, leaving Regional Control in your hands alone. The region will depend completely upon your attention and benevolence.

The main reason you might do this is to preserve your region just the way you want it. The main reason you might not is to allow residents a voice in regional matters, which stimulates activity.

This setting can be changed later. You, the Founder, can revoke the Delegate's access to Regional Control, but the Delegate can never revoke yours.

Delegates automatically gain access to Regional Control if the Founder ceases to exist, departs the region, or has surrendered power via the checkbox above.

All a new founder needs to do is read the options set before him. Do we really need to babysit them?

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:55 pm

It is a default setting, not a baby sitting service. It changes little other than giving a positive learning experience over a negative one.
Now just ornamental.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Sichuan Pepper wrote:It is a default setting, not a baby sitting service. It changes little other than giving a positive learning experience over a negative one.

If a player can't read instruction explicitly stated by the site to turn off delegate controls, than why should we protect them? If they can't effectively run a region, does that region deserve to be saved?
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Ravania Ultra
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ravania Ultra » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:21 pm

The main reason you might do this is to preserve your region just the way you want it. The main reason you might not is to allow residents a voice in regional matters, which stimulates activity.

Bold mine, this is misguiding, and even untrue for starting regions in the current context.
Maybe a little line like "because raiders might mess with your region." could be added after the first sentence...

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Ravania Ultra wrote:

Bold mine, this is misguiding, and even untrue for starting regions in the current context.
Maybe a little line like "because raiders might mess with your region." could be added after the first sentence...

Why is it untrue?

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 pm

I agree with Luna Amore. Nearly all things in this game do not explain this this game outside the FAQs and Guides in the various forums/rules/etc. None of them are handheld, a new player has to figure it out as they go. I like this concept in general as it provides a way for you to explore the game and find your own niche.

As such I feel this applies to the topic at hand, and I would agree with my own statement here even if I was still a defender.

Now from my current raider perspective, all this is is an attempt to remove viable targets for raiding. I very much disagree with that on principle.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Land filled with People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:44 am

Luna Amore wrote:*snip*
All a new founder needs to do is read the options set before him. Do we really need to babysit them?

Try reading that as a newbie with no knowledge and/or interest in N/R/D. There's no mention at all of taggers (or raiders in general) potentially coming along and using executive WAD powers to deface the region.

Zaolat wrote:None of them are handheld, a new player has to figure it out as they go. I like this concept in general as it provides a way for you to explore the game and find your own niche.

Except in this case the niche finds you, whether you like it or not.

Tatarica
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tatarica » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:44 am

DWAsnia wrote:If a player can't read instruction explicitly stated by the site to turn off delegate controls, than why should we protect them? If they can't effectively run a region, does that region deserve to be saved?

Why can't the instruction explicitly state to turn on delegate controls if they want to give more voice to other regional members etc. rather than the other way around, how it is now?

I see most of the "No" posts here as a little misguided with the conception that all new nations know about R/D and have the vast experience we have when knowing what to click and where to reach that information.

I consider that yes, new nations should be given the benefit of a doubt for at least the first moments from their inception that they really do not know what they are doing, including when creating a new region. There's a few examples of nations going to the forum complaining about the region they just founded getting invaded (there's a few examples of it in this thread as well) and there's the general consensus given by the other forum members : de-activate your Delegate controls.

What exactly does this mean? It means that those new nations DIDN'T KNOW about this feature, even if there might have been a "?" button next to the checkmark regarding the setting.

How we are going about it? By saying that those new nations are too n00b for the game, and haven't read the entire FAQ (or just exactly that section of the FAQ) prior to setting that checkmark a certain way, in order to be secure from a certain aspect of the game they have no prior knowledge of.

Really, the option should be un-checked by default and have the FAQ explain why it might be better to have it checked. Or at least, explain better the outcome from the R/D point of view. Because as it is now, the new nation can't possibly comprehend what we, the general population of NS, already know and find it to be a natural part of the game.

Coraxion
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Coraxion » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:05 am

Personally I do not support proposed idea change defaults for new regions, but I agree that there might be serious confusions what to do and what to expect with different settings and that more clear instructions: "Non-Executive Delegate", "Ban and Eject", etc - What these actually means in practice and for everyone, but particularly newcomers.

Sometimes I've seen in practice that on the regional message board of a recently tagged (raided without intentions start anything longer term occupations or operations) region suddenly happens tremendous outburst of despair how to counter the invader Menace even founder has already barred delegate access, probably accidentally or not knowing what that actually does. Several times has happened situation where founder detag raider tag and eject still sitting, but already resigned non-WA member raider WAD out of region, without realizing that such raider puppet has still access to a regional controls of region if Delegate Access remains set to 'Executive'. In such cases if noticed, in practice this means raider WAD makes new tag to same region already detagged. In extreme cases regional Founder has been banned several times out from his/hers own region by raider executive non-WA member puppet. It is clear Player behind founder doesn't know what to do when all his other actions clearly show he try 'defend' his/hers own region.

More clear and easily accessible information about meaning and practical influences of different options in regional controls founders have in their arsenal would be good and if possible attached somehow to immediate vicinity of such regional controls and/or to 'Executive' and 'Non-executive' etc. related features of regional management.

It is all gameplayers benefit if people know their options. We all would save hundreds of pages these same discussion only if people would read FAQs and Rules and be familiar with their possibilities. Why indeed that information could not be integrated somehow directly or near to regional controls buttons and options. Or... then there could be default setting when creating new region for initiating tutorial phase for teaching very basics of the Game.

(Everyone must have a Nation, but Anyone doesn't have to have a region.)
Last edited by Coraxion on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical