NATION

PASSWORD

Gameplay forums and descriptions

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Gameplay forums and descriptions

Postby Nephmir » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:49 am

Not sure if this has been requested before, but perhaps the description for the GP forum should more accurately reflect it's purpose?

I'd also recommend splitting the GP forum into two or three sections- the actual GP forum for it's current use and another for searching for a region. This way, more people now know that they can search for a new region on the forums, and it remains separated from the actual GP threads.

Not to clutter the forums, but I was thinking of a third forum for RP regions to create threads about their regions in there, where they are more likely to get an actual interested audience. This separates R/D politics from RP region politics. Perhaps if these two are separated into their own GP forums, then there wouldn't be a need for a separate "need a region forum".

Thoughts?
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Space Dandy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Dandy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 am

First sentence sounds good, the rest not so much.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 pm

There's been some discussion amongst the mod team around this too.

I don't think the "National Affairs" title for the section is a good one. It might be accurate for Got Issues, but Gameplay is about regional affairs. I haven't seen any good alternatives yet (I'd love to yoink the "NationStates" title, so it was for the forums actually about NS the game, but that's not going to happen), but feel free to make suggestions.

The description for the Gameplay forum isn't a big issue - sure the llamas/squirrels bit sometimes gets stupid discussions, but it's humourous. Nation management & regional politics is a good summary.

Regional recruitment threads aren't a big enough thing to justify a forum of their own. There isn't a large audience for them, and it would mainly be a forum of clutter, with people posting, but few reading. That said, while the current rule ("one recruiting thread, it goes in Gameplay") is good from a moderation perspective - easy to enforce, it's not actually good at getting recruitment threads to the right audience. I don't see why roleplay regions shouldn't be able to advertise in their own forums, where they'll actually be read by those that might be interested in them.

Another suggestion that's been made is allowing regions to run their affairs on the NS forums, with a new sub-forum for that. Effectively "Factbooks and National Information" except about regions instead - so they could post their laws there, run elections, debate laws and policies, probably with some level of thread ownership.

Return to Technical