NATION

PASSWORD

A Way to See Telegram Conversations?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

A Way to See Telegram Conversations?

Postby Feazanthia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:57 am

So I looked around a bit and really couldn't find anything on this, so if I've missed something I apologize and please don't hit me.

Is there a way to display telegrams in a "conversation" format? As in you see the first telegram, scroll down a bit and see your response to it, then scroll down and see the response to your response, so on an so forth ad nauseum? I ask because I am setting up an RP with another player through telegram, and re-reading the conversation in reverse via "in response to..." so you can get everything right before writing your OP can get a bit irritating.

If there is no way to currently do this, any chance I can put in a suggestion to the tech team for when they get a free moment (which, by my calculation, may hopefully occur shortly before the heat death of the universe)?
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 am

There is a way, but it's not super-intuitive.

If you have a TG that is a reply to something you sent them, you can click on the "In reply to" message and see what you sent them. At the bottom of that (separate, new, only one-TG listed) page, you can click "Conversation" (to view the whole conversation - starting from the TG that "started it all," so it may include multiple nations that have responded back to you) or "Raw" (to see the coding, I believe).

My suggestion would be to add a "Conversation" button just to the side of "In reply to" below these messages on the main TG page, to make it simpler to view the whole conversation - and to not need to click as many times .... or to remember what to click, for that matter.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:02 am

There is a conversation method available. When you have selected a single TG, it's at the bottom right of it. It says something like:

Code: Select all
Conversation • Raw
The Blaatschapen should resign

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:03 am

Can't believe I missed that. But yeah, I agree with Mousebumples, it could be a bit more obvious for apparently blind people like me.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:There is a conversation method available. When you have selected a single TG, it's at the bottom right of it. It says something like:

Conversation • Raw

Does that work for telegrams that you have deleted due to the lack of space in the inbox?

(Yeah, 20 isn't enough, yet I don't have the electronic means to donate :/ )
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:There is a conversation method available. When you have selected a single TG, it's at the bottom right of it. It says something like:

Conversation • Raw

Does that work for telegrams that you have deleted due to the lack of space in the inbox?

(Yeah, 20 isn't enough, yet I don't have the electronic means to donate :/ )

Not sure, I know that TGs I deleted aaaaages ago are still listed in my "Sent" box if they were saved in someone else's Inbox, so I'd expect it's possible. However, if you deleted a bunch of TGs (and so did the recipient), I suppose there could be some "dead spots" ... So, I guess this post isn't super-helpeful - sorry. :blush:
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Mousebumples wrote: if you deleted a bunch of TGs (and so did the recipient)

It's not possible for anyone to delete Sent telegrams. That's because [violet] designed the system to keep all the TGs in a database for later reference (for instance: by mods for rulebreaking evidence). Nothing goes away unless a Game Moderator "purges" the TG in question, in which case it is copied to the permanent mod activity logs. That's pretty rare, as we usually only do that for rogue recruitment TGs or other technical problem TGs.

Elke and Elba wrote:Does that work for telegrams that you have deleted due to the lack of space in the inbox?

I don't know what the system allows you to view, but all the TGs are still there. *I* could view the whole thing, but I have no puppet expereince with conversation chains.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Feazanthia wrote:Can't believe I missed that.

Oh, I can. I hadn't seen it either, because it's not where I'd expect it to be, ie, where Mousie suggests. Thus, a small matter of coding... ;)
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical