NATION

PASSWORD

[Idea] Only the last person in a region can refound it

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

[Idea] Only the last person in a region can refound it

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:45 am

This is an idea that came about from Nephmir, a raider, in the opting out thread in Moderation.

The suggestion is just what the title says. The only person who can refound a region is the person who was last in it before the region CTE'd. This would last for 1-2 updates, and afterwards the region could be refounded by anybody.

So, founderless regions can password their region, ensure that their chosen new founder is the last nation in the region, and then let it CTE. Then their chosen new founder can refound the region without fear of sniping from raiders.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:50 am

I'd support this.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:53 am

Bears Armed wrote:I'd support this.

Same, support, but admins haven't been very receptive to ANYTHING in fact.

That is the biggest stumbling block of all.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:15 am

This would work. 100% support.
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:I'd support this.

Same, support, but admins haven't been very receptive to ANYTHING in fact.

That is the biggest stumbling block of all.

Admins have weekends too. And were busy with cleaning up after a DoS attack, 4th of July, etc. Give them some time to respond.

This proposal will also ensure that when a raider empties a region, they have a 100% success rate of refounding it.
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:30 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:This proposal will also ensure that when a raider empties a region, they have a 100% success rate of refounding it.

If anything, that only makes it more favorable as an option, since [violet] has indicated she doesn't want to do anything to give a 100% opt-out to anybody. Founder succession even had that threat.

But really, if raiders succeed in emptying out a region and passwording it, then they've already won. In my experience, defenders haven't made it a huge priority to prevent refounds, unless they made the region a symbolic fight, because of how much manpower it takes.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for the credit ;)

And I'd only go for one update; like I said, someone has to empty the region, and if that someone doesn't refound it immediately afterwards, then they obviously have no intention of refounding it at all.

Also, this will help get rid of that cheating refound-interception that so many raiders and defenders claim as victories.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Reath
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Reath » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:33 am

I think this is a very good idea.

Support.
Pronounced in the same manner as "Death" (Coincidence?)

Reath, Land of the Free, Home of the Something-or-other

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 am

Nephmir wrote:Thanks for the credit ;)

I tried to find your post, but gave up. I'll link to it in the OP if you can find it. :)

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 am

I understand, that thread is a disaster :p

Edit: here it is: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303133&p=20790108#p20790108

And this: viewtopic.php?p=20790149#p20790149
Last edited by Nephmir on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Reath
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Reath » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:37 am

It's unfortunate that the mods seem to be very opposed to this sort of thing.
Pronounced in the same manner as "Death" (Coincidence?)

Reath, Land of the Free, Home of the Something-or-other

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:40 am

Reath wrote:It's unfortunate that the mods seem to be very opposed to this sort of thing.

Don't see my criticism as outright opposition.

I just want to ensure that the issue is being looked at from various sides, and that a suggestion is being thoroughly evaluated and considered. Critiquing and asking questions is a way to do this.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:10 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:This proposal will also ensure that when a raider empties a region, they have a 100% success rate of refounding it.

It's a worthwhile concession to raiders, making it more valuable for them to stick around rather than tag pointlessly, while also making it important for natives to control an orderly exit of the region. It seems to add strategy and benefit both sides equally. I'm in favor.
Last edited by Shadow Afforess on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:38 pm

It's worth noting that this idea would mean that anytime a region CTE its name would become unusable unless the last resident in there decided to restart the region.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mekhet
Envoy

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mekhet » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:It's worth noting that this idea would mean that anytime a region CTE its name would become unusable unless the last resident in there decided to restart the region.

Unless some sort of mechanic reset that after a set period of time. Boneyard technically does it.

Equinox
"Join the Church of Hat-thiesm. ALL THINGS THAT COVER YOUR HEAD IS A HAT! HATS!!!" - Pope Hatchard I

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Mekhet wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:It's worth noting that this idea would mean that anytime a region CTE its name would become unusable unless the last resident in there decided to restart the region.

Unless some sort of mechanic reset that after a set period of time. Boneyard technically does it.

Which the idea by Neph and Glen-Rhodes have evidently stated.

I'm starting to believe that mods actually don't read this carefully - proven first by Scolo's "it's just politics" flag DEATing and warning, a few more other incidents around, and now even Mall at this.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 pm

It's name would be unusable for 1 or 2 updates.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

It's name would be unusable for 1 or 2 updates.

Oops missed that in the op. Seems like a reasonable way to deal with that particular issue if this was decided to be a good idea.
Elke and Elba wrote:
Mekhet wrote:Unless some sort of mechanic reset that after a set period of time. Boneyard technically does it.

I'm starting to believe that mods actually don't read this carefully - proven first by Scolo's "it's just politics" flag DEATing and warning, a few more other incidents around, and now even Mall at this.
Ya know it is possible that I simply skimmed through here and missed the line in GR's post. I didn't say "no this is impossible never".
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Well if a nation CTEs, then the region follows suit, it should be open up to anyone, to avoid that specifically. A good point.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Nephmir wrote:Well if a nation CTEs, then the region follows suit, it should be open up to anyone, to avoid that specifically. A good point.

Yeah I like the "if an update passes" solution. Still not sure what I think about the actual idea as a whole so I'm interested to see what others say.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:It's name would be unusable for 1 or 2 updates.

Oops missed that in the op. Seems like a reasonable way to deal with that particular issue if this was decided to be a good idea.
Elke and Elba wrote:

Ya know it is possible that I simply skimmed through here and missed the line in GR's post. I didn't say "no this is impossible never".

Never did say you said it was impossible, but your lack of comprehension as displayed by your response is worrying if anything is actually getting read properly.

Fris gave me a "no this is impossible never" reply in the other thread, without reading properly too as evidence from the response, so technically you are more nuanced in argument.

Ironic that you are here given that you were the one who started this entire thing. I have a sneaking suspicion you are actually not a hardcore-ultimate-raider anymore (yet still are one).

The Democratic Nation of Unovia
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Nation of Unovia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:07 pm

This would be allowing for an interesting situation....if it gathers enough support, I hope they do this. It would stop raiding with no responsibility for the Region.
Minister of Operations of New World Union! TG me for Regional Information!
As a Map Maker, I help many Regions Current Region assisting: NextGen Roleplay.
If you want my assistance with Real World Maps, please TG me.
Loyal to New World Union

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Oops missed that in the op. Seems like a reasonable way to deal with that particular issue if this was decided to be a good idea. Ya know it is possible that I simply skimmed through here and missed the line in GR's post. I didn't say "no this is impossible never".

Never did say you said it was impossible, but your lack of comprehension as displayed by your response is worrying if anything is actually getting read properly.

Fris gave me a "no this is impossible never" reply in the other thread, without reading properly too as evidence from the response, so technically you are more nuanced in argument.

Ironic that you are here given that you were the one who started this entire thing. I have a sneaking suspicion you are actually not a hardcore-ultimate-raider anymore (yet still are one).
My dog was trying to eat my pizza while I was reading the OP. You'll forgive me if I occasionally miss things. Fris was pointing out that the idea has flaws which make it useless, especially in the context of other changes coming down from higher up which will have an unknown impact on the game. EDIT: for clarification, the "idea" referenced here is not the one found in this thread, but rather a different idea which Elke alluded to in the post I'm responding to.

So the situation is that raiders who get the last man in will no longer have to fight defenders for the refound, whereas native communities which lock and empty will not be at risk of having there's snatched. It's a trade off between security for the "winning" side and dynamic gameplay.
The Democratic Nation of Unovia wrote:This would be allowing for an interesting situation....if it gathers enough support, I hope they do this. It would stop raiding with no responsibility for the Region.
How would it do that?
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:

My dog was trying to eat my pizza while I was reading the OP. You'll forgive me if I occasionally miss things. Fris was pointing out that the idea has flaws which make it useless, especially in the context of other changes coming down from higher up which will have an unknown impact on the game.

So the situation is that raiders who get the last man in will no longer have to fight defenders for the refound, whereas native communities which lock and empty will not be at risk of having there's snatched. It's a trade off between security for the "winning" side and dynamic gameplay.
The Democratic Nation of Unovia wrote:This would be allowing for an interesting situation....if it gathers enough support, I hope they do this. It would stop raiding with no responsibility for the Region.
How would it do that?

Fair enough. I can't hold you to the same standard as what I try to hold myself.

As for Fris,
Frisbeeteria wrote:I'll also point out that everything about an Invitation scheme already exists, except for the special button. A hidden password can be created. The Founder/Delegate can share that password to designated recruiters. Those recruiters can telegram trusted potential members. I'm not seeing a need for an additional button.

This is probably what is crux, since the rest is just filler for this to come. It is evidence enough that Fris didn't understand why the button is superior than the password, something mentioned a bazillion times.

Back to topic, I'm actually getting a bit worried with internal rivalries and sleeper cells, for this becomes a bit like the founder-designate problem all over again.

*mutters but oh well advice that sounds bitter falls on deaf ears despite being probably good*

The Assassin ShadowX
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Assassin ShadowX » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:26 pm

The only reason this Nephmir of yours suggested this idea is that so he might have an easier time refounding The United Study Group (which is occupied by his region and allies if you didn't get the memo) then claim it as a colony of their own region (never believe it if they tried to sell you tricks about them returning the region to the natives; they will never give it back willingly. Not in a million years)

This is a horrible idea.

The only time that it's applicable is when you have a founder who can swiftly kick out everyone within 1 update, but if you have a founder, there's rarely a need to refound.

If you're a native delegate of a founderless region however, then there's a good chance you don't have enough influence to kick everyone out in one day. And when you start kicking out your people gradually throughout the week or however long it takes you, raiders can easily tell that you are trying to refound. So they can move in (in larger numbers than you have) stay for few days, kick out all the natives, and refound the region for their own.

Now I am a casual raider myself, but I am an honest one. I don't go around selling lies about how my interests is the natives rights when infact it's purely mine.
Last edited by The Assassin ShadowX on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical