NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates++ | Browser Extension for NationStates

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sseroffa
Attaché

Founded: Jan 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sseroffa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am

Nice number crunching. You are of course, correct. NationStates++ does put an extra 10 second delay on recruitment.

Why? Mostly because it is impossible to exactly report the moment a browser successfully sends a recruitment telegram, due to delays in request timing. Further, its unclear how the NS API records these requests, does it count the API limit the moment a connection is made, or when the connection is terminated, or some time in between? There are enough unknowns that a safety margin to avoid the 15 minute too-soon timeout from recruiting too fast is better. The extra margin beyond 10 seconds you saw is likely to due to slow requests or additional latency on your end.

The next release has the recruitment system rewritten a bit and hopefully the latency on your end will be reduced as it will use websockets rather than ajax requests.
Last edited by Sseroffa on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avaerilon
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 03, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Avaerilon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:32 pm

[violet] wrote:Hello all! A quick update. A few details have yet to be worked out, but we are in the process of acquiring NationStates++ and its servers from Afforess.

Hooray! I liked all the features of NS++, but concerns about the security made me can it. I'm sure an officially-sanctioned version will be just the ticket, though- excellent news, and thank you :)
===I'M A UNIVERSITY TEACHER===
No, my IC tax rate is NOT 100%
On Behalf of His Most Royal Majesty, King Aubrey the Dragonheart
Essel y fend Ēg Regnerarch Mawregddog, Regnyr Awbru yr Amdragalon

Vanhania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vanhania » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:28 pm

I am the WA Delegate of The Coalition of Governments, I am suddenly being told "You do not have permission to view active recruitment campaigns" on the recruitment page. Do you happen to know why?
My political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -8.50

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.26
WA delegate and High Chairman of The Coalition of Governments
Long live Vanhania! Long live Lerodas! Long live the Coalition!

I enjoy helping people so if you are a new player or just want some help or advice in anything (including role plays) I would be more than willing to help. Just send a telegram my way.

My nation is a advanced post modern tech/primitive future tech nation. It is a nonhuman humanoid race which is highly religious and aggressive towards outsiders which have "wronged the race" we are stellar nomads of sorts which span a vast swath of space and are united in one large empire called the Vahric Empire.

Moon Eclipse
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Eclipse » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:51 pm

I didn't realize that NS++ was an emulator. Very interesting. I suppose that makes sense, given I am trying to figure out how to stop my own ajax calls from breaking the rate limit if multiple people are accessing my tool...

But would [violet] really emulate her own game now that she is in possession of the extension? That doesn't make sense to me...

So, is the regular API rate just going to go up or are you going to keep it the way it is while emulating the whole thing for rate-free API calls? Calls to the emulator are nearly rate-free, right?

Or am I missing something? o_O

Also, how is it Afforess can afford to emulate the whole thing to provide this service while the main site has a rate limit? Are costs going to go up taking on the project, or down because he has a better hosting solution?

Just wondering... :)

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:56 pm

^because even though a lot of people use NS++, its still nothing compared to the traffic the main site gets.

As for [violet], you are correct, I believe (don't quote me on this) the plan is to continue supporting it but gradually adapt its features into the main game, obviously ending support once a majority of features are properly implemented. It's not exactly something you can do overnight.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Moon Eclipse
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Eclipse » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Okey dokey, I guess that makes sense.

Thanks, Hobbes.

Sseroffa
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sseroffa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Moon Eclipse wrote:I didn't realize that NS++ was an emulator. Very interesting. I suppose that makes sense, given I am trying to figure out how to stop my own ajax calls from breaking the rate limit if multiple people are accessing my tool...

Yep. Eventually in order to provide support for unlimited users, I had to go and emulate the entire game state of NationStates. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use the daily dumps as the "starting state" of your emulation layer, and then track the happenings feed for changes and apply those changes to the "state" of the game. That is the basics of what I do.

Moon Eclipse wrote:But would [violet] really emulate her own game now that she is in possession of the extension? That doesn't make sense to me...

Probably yes, because removing the emulation layer is a lot of work, and the game state is in a rather nasty flat file format, rather than the database I used.

Moon Eclipse wrote:So, is the regular API rate just going to go up or are you going to keep it the way it is while emulating the whole thing for rate-free API calls? Calls to the emulator are nearly rate-free, right?

I doubt any changes to the rate limit will be made.
Moon Eclipse wrote:Also, how is it Afforess can afford to emulate the whole thing to provide this service while the main site has a rate limit? Are costs going to go up taking on the project, or down because he has a better hosting solution?

Good design decisions? I also don't have emulate the *entire* site. I don't store flags, just the flag urls, for example. That saves massively on space.

Also remember it is easier to design something the second time. All the hard work had been done on NationStates, emulating an existing design is much easier than making a new design.

Moon Eclipse wrote:Just wondering... :)

All good questions.

Hobbesistan wrote:^because even though a lot of people use NS++, its still nothing compared to the traffic the main site gets.

As for [violet], you are correct, I believe (don't quote me on this) the plan is to continue supporting it but gradually adapt its features into the main game, obviously ending support once a majority of features are properly implemented. It's not exactly something you can do overnight.

Not quite. The extension will remain as a test platform for ideas. I doubt all the ideas or features from the extension will become officially supported either.
Last edited by Sseroffa on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Recon Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Recon Empire » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:47 am

Hello everyone! I am having some problems with my Recruitment API Telegrams, I hope everyone can help!!

My recruitment has stopped for about one week or so, and the recruitment telegrams are no longer sending, nor is there the bar that I'd usually see.

When I go to the Recruitment link on the regional homepage, it says that I do not have permission to view it. I am the founder of my region, and I am also the only nation who is the "Recruitment Officer". However, I am prohibited from doing anything and the progress just isn't going. Everything else on the page is also prohibited.

This is really important because our region relies on this to grow, so I hope that we can solve this quickly! Thank you so much for your help!

Sseroffa
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sseroffa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am

The Recon Empire wrote:Hello everyone! I am having some problems with my Recruitment API Telegrams, I hope everyone can help!!

My recruitment has stopped for about one week or so, and the recruitment telegrams are no longer sending, nor is there the bar that I'd usually see.

When I go to the Recruitment link on the regional homepage, it says that I do not have permission to view it. I am the founder of my region, and I am also the only nation who is the "Recruitment Officer". However, I am prohibited from doing anything and the progress just isn't going. Everything else on the page is also prohibited.

I will look into it.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Hey, am I the only one noticing that sometimes it won't let you log in?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Sseroffa
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sseroffa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Roski wrote:Hey, am I the only one noticing that sometimes it won't let you log in?

Can you be more specific? Log you into what? Log you into where?

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Sseroffa wrote:
Roski wrote:Hey, am I the only one noticing that sometimes it won't let you log in?

Log into my puppets. I'll click on one of the nations, and it will load for 50 seconds, then not log in at all, and log you out of the current account. I usually have to click it several times for it to work.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Sseroffa
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sseroffa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Roski wrote:
Sseroffa wrote:

Log into my puppets. I'll click on one of the nations, and it will load for 50 seconds, then not log in at all, and log you out of the current account. I usually have to click it several times for it to work.

Can you tell me what browser and version you are on?

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Sseroffa wrote:
Roski wrote:

Can you tell me what browser and version you are on?

Google Chrome 32x
NationStates++ v2.4.3
Last edited by Roski on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protector of Mother Russia
Civilian

Founded: Apr 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Protector of Mother Russia » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 am

How do I add a header to my newspaper?
Head of State in Mother Russia

Sseroffa
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sseroffa » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Protector of Mother Russia wrote:How do I add a header to my newspaper?

The image thing that a few regions have used? BBcodes.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Maryginia wrote:How is this going t affect already implemented features in the plugin, While I don't think this would happen, I don't knw, is the ads hiding, going to be removed, what about regional papers, and essentially everyhting else that been put in the project, I dn't think violet would do anything malicious, and by malicious I mean against the project and affecting the users, I don't think she's do anything malicious aganst the users either though, but on the project Are we still going to have puppet switchers, are we still going to have all the features from befre, and the ability to turn them on and off, is NSwiki, going to be owned by NS, if so are we going t have to use it, or will NSwiki get shut down in hopes of us using the in game factbooks more, or are both going to be allowed to exist, Are decisions that are good for the site but possible bad for users ging to be implemnted like the ones I mentioned above.

There's no plan to shut down anything or remove any features, except probably for the ad-blocking. (Since there are other extensions for ad-blocking, and it duplicates an NS Store feature.) Removing stuff would defeat the purpose of acquiring it in the first place.

Right now my goal is to transfer everything over and keep it working. This is a job, as will be simple maintenance, since it's a big deal to take on someone else's software project. Beyond that, though, I would ideally like to keep NS++, NS Wiki, and NS Archive going and growing as independent projects. The details of how this happens I'm not sure of yet. But feel free to throw in ideas and speculation! I can't give hard answers to questions about what the future holds, but we can figure it out together. ;)

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:55 pm

[violet] wrote:
Maryginia wrote:How is this going t affect already implemented features in the plugin, While I don't think this would happen, I don't knw, is the ads hiding, going to be removed, what about regional papers, and essentially everyhting else that been put in the project, I dn't think violet would do anything malicious, and by malicious I mean against the project and affecting the users, I don't think she's do anything malicious aganst the users either though, but on the project Are we still going to have puppet switchers, are we still going to have all the features from befre, and the ability to turn them on and off, is NSwiki, going to be owned by NS, if so are we going t have to use it, or will NSwiki get shut down in hopes of us using the in game factbooks more, or are both going to be allowed to exist, Are decisions that are good for the site but possible bad for users ging to be implemnted like the ones I mentioned above.

There's no plan to shut down anything or remove any features, except probably for the ad-blocking. (Since there are other extensions for ad-blocking, and it duplicates an NS Store feature.) Removing stuff would defeat the purpose of acquiring it in the first place.

Right now my goal is to transfer everything over and keep it working. This is a job, as will be simple maintenance, since it's a big deal to take on someone else's software project. Beyond that, though, I would ideally like to keep NS++, NS Wiki, and NS Archive going and growing as independent projects. The details of how this happens I'm not sure of yet. But feel free to throw in ideas and speculation! I can't give hard answers to questions about what the future holds, but we can figure it out together. ;)

I have just one request: that you add the regional assembly that Afforess planned, and that you consider the additional ideas that I came up with for it, located on the place where Afforess has people propose features for NS++.
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm

United States of Natan wrote:I have just one request: that you add the regional assembly that Afforess planned, and that you consider the additional ideas that I came up with for it, located on the place where Afforess has people propose features for NS++.

I will have a look over the code when I get it, but I don't expect to be rolling out major new NS++ features, at least not in the short-term.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:15 pm

[violet] wrote:There's no plan to shut down anything or remove any features, except probably for the ad-blocking. (Since there are other extensions for ad-blocking, and it duplicates an NS Store feature.) Removing stuff would defeat the purpose of acquiring it in the first place.

I just want to say that this is awesome and you've made my day.

With respect to the archive (if I understand the archive being the wiki archive), I'd imagine it'd become needless if we can get the newer database back. It'd be really cool if we could retrieve it and hook it back up to peoples' nations, regions, the likes. It's all speculation at this point, but hey, nice to think out loud. Will the wiki be hosted on this site or will it be an entirely independent entity?
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 pm

NSArchive is a collection of nation and region daily dumps. Not exactly one of the flashier things Afforess has made :P

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:(if I understand the archive being the wiki archive),

Sorry, no. It's a collection of Daily Dumps from the API.

Todd McCloud wrote:Will the wiki be hosted on this site or will it be an entirely independent entity?

We don't know yet where it will be physically hosted or how it will be tied to game pages, but it WILL be owned by NationStates. So in some respects, it will not be independent at all. It'll probably be organized like other wikis, meaning that volunteer Editors and Bureaucrats will added based on consensus. We're nowhere near that stage yet, though.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:(if I understand the archive being the wiki archive),

Sorry, no. It's a collection of Daily Dumps from the API.

My mistake, forgot about that one

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:Will the wiki be hosted on this site or will it be an entirely independent entity?

We don't know yet where it will be physically hosted or how it will be tied to game pages, but it WILL be owned by NationStates. So in some respects, it will not be independent at all. It'll probably be organized like other wikis, meaning that volunteer Editors and Bureaucrats will added based on consensus. We're nowhere near that stage yet, though.

Sounds great!
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm

[violet] wrote:I will have a look over the code when I get it, but I don't expect to be rolling out major new NS++ features, at least not in the short-term.

Please please pretty please at least add the ability to sort/organize our puppet lists. From what I got, it wasn't a *major* piece of work, and would make one of the handiest features a lot more user-friendly. Just being able to put them in something like folders or tabs, maybe even move them (basically like your average bookmarks setup) would be awesome for those of us with many puppets for many purposes.

Begging you on my hands and knees here :P

Thanks for reading :blush: *leaves magic never-ending cookies*
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:29 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
[violet] wrote:I will have a look over the code when I get it, but I don't expect to be rolling out major new NS++ features, at least not in the short-term.

Please please pretty please at least add the ability to sort/organize our puppet lists. From what I got, it wasn't a *major* piece of work, and would make one of the handiest features a lot more user-friendly. Just being able to put them in something like folders or tabs, maybe even move them (basically like your average bookmarks setup) would be awesome for those of us with many puppets for many purposes.

I overcame this by exporting my puppets in sets. Since we don't have folders or anything to organize them, different types of puppets were grouped and exported together. I could clear my puppets and just upload my switchers, for example.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical