NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates++ | Browser Extension for NationStates

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:17 am

Port blood wrote:it's still there? i don't see it...
Got a screenshot?

It's actually an overlay. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49805/douria.png

I didn't see it on my first visit either for some reason. Essentially the idea is to draw the user's attention with the red (1) and then once they land on the GA page, to show them that. I like it. ;)

Albeit it's probably suuuuuuper unethical. Like... I'm the kind of guy that can brush this off and laugh about it. If he uses this on someone else who both cares, and is maybe a little less well established... he could just ruin them because he doesn't like them. So while this specific incident is hilarious, the precedent it sets is dangerous as hell.

If he was just pushing his own agenda that's one thing. I can applaud a novel idea. But he actually attacks my character... which is much further over the line. And incorrectly,(I'm assuming he's just misinformed and not deliberately dishonest) which is just sloppy.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

El Fiji Grande
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby El Fiji Grande » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:38 am

The Dourian Embassy wrote:
Got a screenshot?

I didn't see it on my first visit either for some reason. Essentially the idea is to draw the user's attention with the red (1) and then once they land on the GA page, to show them that. I like it. ;)

Albeit it's probably suuuuuuper unethical. Like... I'm the kind of guy that can brush this off and laugh about it. If he uses this on someone else who both cares, and is maybe a little less well established... he could just ruin them because he doesn't like them. So while this specific incident is hilarious, the precedent it sets is dangerous as hell.

If he was just pushing his own agenda that's one thing. I can applaud a novel idea. But he actually attacks my character... which is much further over the line. And incorrectly,(I'm assuming he's just misinformed and not deliberately dishonest) which is just sloppy.

I 100% agree with that.
Join to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:03 am

Jeckland wrote:Just a note - Shadow Afforess has a three day forumban so can't reply to your posts.

was he behind that troll puppet?

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 am

This red (1) needs to be removed it's annoying. It can't even tell who has voted and who hasn't...

I for one have voted against. National Sovereignty is a must.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:23 am

Thafoo wrote:
Jeckland wrote:Just a note - Shadow Afforess has a three day forumban so can't reply to your posts.

was he behind that troll puppet?

No, it was flaming.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:24 am

Oaledonia wrote:
Thafoo wrote:was he behind that troll puppet?

No, it was flaming.

Intriguing. Where?

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:02 am

Thafoo wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:No, it was flaming.

Intriguing. Where?

viewtopic.php?p=19663450#p19663450
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Aden Protectorate
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aden Protectorate » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:52 am

I have a Red (1) at the side of the World Assembly Tab. What is this?

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:09 am

Aden Protectorate wrote:I have a Red (1) at the side of the World Assembly Tab. What is this?

Read. The. Posts. Above.
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:35 pm

The Dourian Embassy wrote:
Got a screenshot?

You. You are going to tell us what's unethical.
Last edited by Margno on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Margno wrote:You. You are going to tell us what's unethical.

Really I'm more angry that it was done poorly. I mean if we're being completely honest.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Ethical is subjective, always has been, always will be. Therefore, everyone has the right to their own opinion no matter how hypocritical it might seem. The point is whether you agree with the expressed sentiment or not.

I for one completely agree with the expressed opinions in its entirety and concur that it is unethical to target an individual in this manner. Thankfully, the individual has taken it as the joke I believe it was intended to be.
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
4th President and,

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:
  • Https-Only feature for NS (redirects all http links to https equivalent)

Mentioned this before, but be aware that https is still in testing, and until it's officially released it may go away, either permanently or temporarily while I fiddle with things. You may want to make sure this wouldn't leave NS++ users completely unable to access the site.

Acoustic Siberia
Civilian

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Acoustic Siberia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm

The Rejected Times would like to write an article about this. Does anyone have a screenshot of the red (1) or the message that they would be willing to let us use? Would anyone (preferably someone who was ok with it, and someone who objected to it) be willing to give a short interview statement? Contact me if so, thanks.

El Fiji Grande
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby El Fiji Grande » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Acoustic Siberia wrote:The Rejected Times would like to write an article about this. Does anyone have a screenshot of the red (1) or the message that they would be willing to let us use? Would anyone (preferably someone who was ok with it, and someone who objected to it) be willing to give a short interview statement? Contact me if so, thanks.

Yeah sure. I TGed you.

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Whereas posters make this extension seem unpopular and evil, the statistics say otherwise. Over 90% are satisfied or better and only 5% this it isn't seem secure. Obviously, NS++ is more popular than people let on. I certainly trust Afforess. I even gave him the password to this nation while I've been WAD of Capitalist Paradise.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 pm

DWAsnia wrote:Whereas posters make this extension seem unpopular and evil, the statistics say otherwise. Over 90% are satisfied or better and only 5% this it isn't seem secure. Obviously, NS++ is more popular than people let on. I certainly trust Afforess. I even gave him the password to this nation while I've been WAD of Capitalist Paradise.

There's the likely possibility that those who were were dissatisfied users already quit and therefore did not see the survey.

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Have to completely agree with Thafoo. The statistics cited are incredibly skewed to draw that kind of conclusion. It's a useful piece of equipment to help make NationStates better and more interactive.

As for the security. A lot of people who voted, won't know what "secure" truly means, at least, not the definition that Afforess and I use. The fact that it's open source, makes things better, but that's not a guarantee of security.

It's also not good for you to be sharing passwords. That's just asking to be hacked.
Game Master
4th President and,

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Enfaru wrote:Have to completely agree with Thafoo. The statistics cited are incredibly skewed to draw that kind of conclusion. It's a useful piece of equipment to help make NationStates better and more interactive.

As for the security. A lot of people who voted, won't know what "secure" truly means, at least, not the definition that Afforess and I use. The fact that it's open source, makes things better, but that's not a guarantee of security.

It's also not good for you to be sharing passwords. That's just asking to be hacked.

He's the only person I've ever shared a password with. And I changed the password beforehand. I only did it because I wasn't always on and I was Delegate, so I gave the password to a person I trusted just in case my exec. powers needed to be used.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 pm

You should never ever ever ever give your password to anyone, particularly online as you don't know who that person is. Unless of course, you've met the person and seen and verified a legitimate proof of identity. (Basically the only way I will sign PGP keys which is the same thing).
Game Master
4th President and,

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 pm

DWAsnia wrote:Whereas posters make this extension seem unpopular and evil, the statistics say otherwise. Over 90% are satisfied or better and only 5% this it isn't seem secure. Obviously, NS++ is more popular than people let on. I certainly trust Afforess. I even gave him the password to this nation while I've been WAD of Capitalist Paradise.

That question is worded wrong, it should say: "Should this extension be used to promote personal agendas?"
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

Under construction

El Fiji Grande
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby El Fiji Grande » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Oaledonia wrote:

That question is worded wrong, it should say: "Should this extension be used to promote personal agendas?"

Yes.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Oaledonia wrote:That question is worded wrong, it should say...

Should this extension be used to promote personal agendas?

No. I think this is a spectacular overreaction to a small thing by Afforess, and it's not cool.

Can this extension be used to promote personal agendas?

Of course, Afforess can do whatever the fuck (s)he wants to. It's clearly legal.

What on earth am I going on about?

Caveat emptor. If you're going to download NS+, you're going to have to deal with shit like this because of its lack of oversight.

So if Afforess decides to be a prick and campaign for something or tries to manipulate NS+ users, don't be surprised. Personally, this is why I don't and never will use NS+.

Sorry to interject, I just have an opinion.
Last edited by Vicious Debaters on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Vicious Debaters wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:That question is worded wrong, it should say...

Should this extension be used to promote personal agendas?

No. I think this is a spectacular overreaction to a small thing by Afforess, and it's not cool.

Can this extension be used to promote personal agendas?

Of course, Afforess can do whatever the fuck (s)he wants to. It's clearly legal.

What on earth am I going on about?

Caveat emptor. If you're going to download NS+, you're going to have to deal with shit like this because of its lack of oversight.

So if Afforess decides to be a prick and campaign for something or tries to manipulate NS+ users, don't be surprised. Personally, this is why I don't and never will use NS+.

Sorry to interject.

Never said it was illegal, I said it was unethical - which it is. If (s)he wants to do it, go ahead, but it defiles the trust of the users and seems insanely immature.

Under construction

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Oaledonia wrote:Never said it was illegal, I said it was unethical - which it is. If (s)he wants to do it, go ahead, but it defiles the trust of the users and seems insanely immature.

Agreed.

It's a big pile of crazy, the whole thing. Afforess though that such a short-sighted plan would work? People taking the World Assembly seriously? What the fuck man, what the fuck. Promotion like that won't make people happy, the World Assembly is far too much of a jumblefuck to be taken seriously, and personal vendettas are best ignored 'round these parts.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical