NATION

PASSWORD

Trend: Tax

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Trend: Tax

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 am

Searching around I could only find one, very small, topic on this subject, but if there's been a more substantial discussion, I do apologise.

Is there any way that "Average Tax Rate"* could be added to the trend lines? There appears to have been a change made in the way tax rates were calculated, and they're now more fluid. It would be interesting to follow, especially as the way that Issues interact with taxes has not always been very clear.**

I'm not proposing adding ten different things to the trend, just one. Thanks for any thoughts.

* "The average income tax rate is 36%, but much higher for the wealthy." I do understand that many nations have a progressive rate, and hence 36% doesn't truly reflect the tax rate. But this is as true for the nation description as it would be for a trend line.

** If the objection is that Issues are deliberately opaque in this way, of course I understand.

ErasmoGnome
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby ErasmoGnome » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Actually, I wouldn't mind this. Good idea.
Former President of the Versutian Federation
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.
Unless otherwise specified, any posts I make are not representative of the VF

Rapidblaze
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rapidblaze » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:12 pm

nice idea

Viinborg
Envoy

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Viinborg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:[...] If the objection is that Issues are deliberately opaque in this way, of course I understand.

I like it too. Although, I think you already mentioned the main objection - which, as you say, is fair enough.
Nevertheless, I wonder what the verdict will be.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Steven Colbert

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 am

I love this idea.

I also wonder if it would be possible to display two tax trendlines, one for the average tax rate as suggested above as well as a second trend line for the maximum tax rate.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:15 am

I do not think the game currently keeps track of any maximum tax rate statistic.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:45 am

Yeah, I'm not concerned about the actual tax rate or anything like that - just the basic lower bound showed on the nation page.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Now that Refactor has changed the way tax stats are displayed, I'm going to bump this suggestion again.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:42 am

I like the idea, but I wish there were more options to cut taxes in issues. Usually it's only possible to cut important sectors instead of having a widespread cut, or something to increase government efficiency (reduce administration costs)
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Paxterram
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Trends and Analyses

Postby Paxterram » Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 am

Here's an idea: What if you could manage what shows up on the trend? Have a list of all analysis stats (probably grouped by category) and be able to choose which are visible each time you visit the trend. Have the default be the classic Civil Rights, Political Freedoms, Economic Strength. Maybe even go a step further and allow players to edit their default trends. This would, of course, come with the addition of Average Income Tax Rate to analysis and thus trends (there also ought to be an Economic Freedoms analysis/trend).

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical