NATION

PASSWORD

Limit the number of puppets allowed per user?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Limit the number of puppets allowed per user?

Postby Afforess » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm sick of the rise of puppet regions where one or two people create hundreds of puppet nations just to elevate themselves into the top 20 nations by population list, with no real reason or other purpose. It is an eyesore, increases the noise in the happenings in feeders, and is a drain on the computing resources for the game. There is no good reason any user needs more than 10 or 20 puppets. Having hundreds or even thousands is absurd and should not be tolerated.

I'm surprised raiders haven't decided to intentionally create a region with 50000 puppet nations just to attempt to crash the game during an update. I'm sure something of the sort will be attempted eventually. Maybe I will just to prove my point. (This is sarcasm/extreme hyperbole, not meant to be taken literally...)

Edit:
Oh look here, apparently puppet flooding is already against the rules:

NERVUN wrote:Puppet Flooding: Any player or group of players creating large numbers of puppets for the purpose of spamming and/or annoying a region, be they invaders, defenders, or natives, may find all such puppets ... and their main nations ... deleted without warning as Regional Happenings spammers.

Can we get the puppet-only spam regions deleted now?
Last edited by Afforess on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Minister of the Interior, Capitalist Paradise

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Spartzerium
Envoy

Founded: May 24, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Spartzerium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Afforess wrote:I'm surprised raiders haven't decided to intentionally create a region with 50000 puppet nations just to attempt to crash the game during an update. I'm sure something of the sort will be attempted eventually. Maybe I will just to prove my point.

Attempting to crash the game doesn't sound like a very wise idea to me. Seems like the kind of thing that could get you in trouble... and that may be why it hasn't been attempted by raiders.
NS Married to Tramiar <3
Father of Rawr, Mall, Jakker, Severisen, and Talisi
I once was a defender...
Former Chief Lieutenant - UDL
Former AC, VC (2 terms), CoDF (2 terms), RRO, General of the Alliance, and more - FRA
Former King, VC, and IA Minister - CoN
Former Vice Commander, Chief of Defense - CoJ

I once was a Forum 7'er...
Founder of The United Church of Reppy
Also started various other random forum games

And I once... had other random info I didn't know where to put...
Originally joined NationStates May 25, 2008.
Formerly known as Spartzerina/New Spartzerina.
Retired Major / Field Marshal - The Black Hawks
TBH Forum - TBH News Thread

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Spartzerium wrote:
Afforess wrote:I'm surprised raiders haven't decided to intentionally create a region with 50000 puppet nations just to attempt to crash the game during an update. I'm sure something of the sort will be attempted eventually. Maybe I will just to prove my point.

Attempting to crash the game doesn't sound like a very wise idea to me. Seems like the kind of thing that could get you in trouble... and that may be why it hasn't been attempted by raiders.

You have plausible deniability, or least, someone else would. There are no rules on the number of nations a player may create, nor any rules on how big a region may be. So creating a 100000 nation region is perfectly fine. Could even advertise it as a record-setting event or some such nonsense. That's how plausible deniability works.
Last edited by Afforess on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Afforess wrote:You have plausible deniability, or least, someone else would.

No, you don't. You may think using puppets makes you anonymous, but it doesn't. The site admin knows your IP even if you use another name.
Last edited by Nullarni on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

No. I like having 20+ puppets.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Sorry, but what you've got here are raiders AND defenders telling you that you're wrong. That means you're wrong.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

I happen to like my puppets, so no.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Johto and Kanto
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Johto and Kanto » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 pm

I have about 8-10, soon to be more.
I try to distribute them evenly across regions, with only about 3 or 4 in my home region.
Its not a problem, as long as there aren't multiple puppets in the WA.
I STILL need a new signature.

*insert link to witty post here*

Albioney
Envoy

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Albioney » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm

I actually make puppets simply for the fun of the game. I have an extremely environmentalist one, I have a communist one, I have a super religious one, and many of different kinds of governments. I know some people use them to make regions bigger, or for raiding, but I don't really think that puppets are that big of a problem.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
- Henry David Thoreau

The Electoral College
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Electoral College » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Puppets serve purposes outside the arena of raider/defender as well.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Assuming you're implying that something should be done to stop people from having too many puppets, the only way you could do that is to regulate how many nations an IP address can have. My issue with that is public computers. If you put a limit on the amount of nations an IP address can have, how will many people use NS from a public computer.
(This is also why I am against IP address bans, but that's a different issue)
My other issue is with private computers, if there is more than one person who uses the private computer (say for example a household or family), each user may want 20 puppets each
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Nullarni wrote:
Afforess wrote:You have plausible deniability, or least, someone else would.

No, you don't. You may think using puppets makes you anonymous, but it doesn't. The site admin knows your IP even if you use another name.

So you agree with me, someone else would have plausible deniability. I obviously don't, as I stated, and you quoted.

Libertarian California wrote:No. I like having 20+ puppets.

Obviously "like" does not fall under the "good reason" catagory.

Neo Arcad wrote:Sorry, but what you've got here are raiders AND defenders telling you that you're wrong. That means you're wrong.

I think someone needs to brush up on logic. Your conclusion is absurd.

Albioney wrote:I actually make puppets simply for the fun of the game. I have an extremely environmentalist one, I have a communist one, I have a super religious one, and many of different kinds of governments. I know some people use them to make regions bigger, or for raiding, but I don't really think that puppets are that big of a problem.

Sure, I have puppets too. I am not universally against having 1, or even a dozen. It's when one person has 100's or 1000's that I think it begins to become absurd.

Australian Republic wrote:Assuming you're implying that something should be done to stop people from having too many puppets, the only way you could do that is to regulate how many nations an IP address can have. My issue with that is public computers. If you put a limit on the amount of nations an IP address can have, how will many people use NS from a public computer.
(This is also why I am against IP address bans, but that's a different issue)
My other issue is with private computers, if there is more than one person who uses the private computer (say for example a household or family), each user may want 20 puppets each

The FAQ states that NationStates uses 4 different methods to detect users, not just IP addresses alone. If it was just IP addresses, WA multing would be easy.
Last edited by Afforess on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:17 pm

When I was the Foreign Affairs Minister for my region, I had to have about 30 puppets (although most of them have CTE'D by now). It was necessary to do the job.

Also, think how this would hurt groups like Antifa, who have refounded hundreds of regions.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 pm

If you don't like the way the game is played, then don't play the game. Don't try to ruin it for others.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:19 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:If you don't like the way the game is played, then don't play the game. Don't try to ruin it for others.

I have to wonder if you actually read anything I wrote. Would you be happy if I brought 1000 puppet nations into your region?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 pm

No, because puppets are useful for other purposes like RPing. The only way THAT could happen is if we said "oh, this nation goes to this," and that technology is likely NEVER going to be implemented.

Thus, I suggest turning this piece of tripe into a Meal Rejected by Ethiopians.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Sondstead
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sondstead » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:Sorry, but what you've got here are raiders AND defenders telling you that you're wrong. That means you're wrong.

Implying NS revolves around raiding and defending.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
Fartsniffage wrote:Poor analogy. A better one would be a high school american football team approaching a couple of kids quietly reading/writing during lunch hour, telling them to play with them and then stamping on their books/notepads if they refuse.

All with the teacher watching on from the sidelines nodding in approval.

Visit Sondstead at : IIWiki (related articles) : Embassy Program
Commerce : KMF Automobile : Nörditser Windstrand International Airport

Follow SRR Sondstead World – Your Window on Sondstead

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Oh look here, apparently puppet flooding is already against the rules:

NERVUN wrote:Puppet Flooding: Any player or group of players creating large numbers of puppets for the purpose of spamming and/or annoying a region, be they invaders, defenders, or natives, may find all such puppets ... and their main nations ... deleted without warning as Regional Happenings spammers.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Afforess wrote:Oh look here, apparently puppet flooding is already against the rules:

:palm:
Every time you imply puppet-only regions are spam, Lanos gets glomped with a Meal Rejected by Ethiopians. Please don't glomp him with MREs.
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:27 pm

I'd be in favor of puppet restrictions. I'd like to see people logging in to a master account, where they can instantly switch between their 20-50 puppets without the bother of a password. However, since that ain't gonna happen without a major rewrite of the game code, it's not really practical. Also, it would presumably be easy enough to create multiple master accounts, so it's kinda moot as to whether this would reduce puppet flooding and mass puppeteers.

The North Polish Union wrote:Also, think how this would hurt groups like Antifa, who have refounded hundreds of regions.

To me, that's an argument FOR restricting puppets. One player shouldn't control hundreds of locked regions.

Australian Republic wrote:the only way you could do that is to regulate how many nations an IP address can have. (This is also why I am against IP address bans, but that's a different issue)

No, it's not the only way. Clever code can do a lot more than you think it can, and mods are capable of distinguishing between public and private IP addresses. It's certainly not a deal breaker.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Afforess wrote:Oh look here, apparently puppet flooding is already against the rules:

:palm:
Every time you imply puppet-only regions are spam, Lanos gets glomped with a Meal Rejected by Ethiopians. Please don't glomp him with MREs.

They are spam. They distract new users and players from finding legitimate regions that they can join. They clutter the list of regions, adding no value to the game. That sounds like spam to me.

Frisbeeteria wrote:I'd be in favor of puppet restrictions. I'd like to see people logging in to a master account, where they can instantly switch between their 20-50 puppets without the bother of a password. However, since that ain't gonna happen without a major rewrite of the game code, it's not really practical. Also, it would presumably be easy enough to create multiple master accounts, so it's kinda moot as to whether this would reduce puppet flooding and mass puppeteers.

The North Polish Union wrote:Also, think how this would hurt groups like Antifa, who have refounded hundreds of regions.

To me, that's an argument FOR restricting puppets. One player shouldn't control hundreds of locked regions.

Australian Republic wrote:the only way you could do that is to regulate how many nations an IP address can have. (This is also why I am against IP address bans, but that's a different issue)

No, it's not the only way. Clever code can do a lot more than you think it can, and mods are capable of distinguishing between public and private IP addresses. It's certainly not a deal breaker.

Wow. I find myself in complete agreement with a game moderator. Mark your calendars folks.
Last edited by Afforess on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Afforess wrote:
Luziyca wrote: :palm:

They are spam. They distract new users and players from finding legitimate regions that they can join. They clutter the list of regions, adding no value to the game. That sounds like spam to me.

The mods definition of spam is likely different than yours. Hell, there is a damn tag for these little buggers: Puppet Storage.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Afforess wrote:They are spam. They distract new users and players from finding legitimate regions that they can join. They clutter the list of regions, adding no value to the game. That sounds like spam to me.

The mods definition of spam is likely different than yours. Hell, there is a damn tag for these little buggers: Puppet Storage.

Great, that makes it even easier for the mods to wipe them all out. :p

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I'd be in favor of puppet restrictions. I'd like to see people logging in to a master account, where they can instantly switch between their 20-50 puppets without the bother of a password. However, since that ain't gonna happen without a major rewrite of the game code, it's not really practical. Also, it would presumably be easy enough to create multiple master accounts, so it's kinda moot as to whether this would reduce puppet flooding and mass puppeteers.

Really (about private and public IP addresses) Okay. I am also in favour of the master account and have been asking for that since my first nation (Kalasparata), it makes sence why we can't do that now. My other issue with a puppet limit is allowing puppets to die and restoration
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 pm

It would be a hell of a lot easier if NS was datebase-based instead of its current configuration but since we're not...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical