NATION

PASSWORD

World Census Category Glitch

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Grendels
Attaché

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

World Census Category Glitch

Postby The Grendels » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:05 pm

I mentioned it a few years ago (probably on a different NS forum) that the Beef-Based Agriculture category in the world census is missing. It hasn't been shown since 2004 and that seems very statistically unlikely to be a random thing. Mods told me a few years ago that they'd never heard of it (if they were from after that time or weren't tracking census results then, they wouldn't have heard of it).

Then I saw it in a nation description (where it refers to your top three industries) of newer nation: Lone Islands

Their nation description reads: A large private sector is led by the Book Publishing industry, followed by Information Technology and Beef-Based Agriculture.

Is there an explanation of why we haven't seen Beef-Based Agriculture featured as a category in the world census, while it is still being shown as an industry in new nations? It's also not being shown in the Nation Analysis. Personally, as this was one of the categories I led the world in and would likely do so again, I'd like to see it again. :)
“In off the moor, down through the mist bands,
God-cursed Grendel came, greedily loping.
The bane of the race of men roamed forth, hunting for a prey."

Beowulf

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Your nation has the #1 in the world badge for the "Largest Agricultural Sector". That's the same thing, and was likely renamed in 2004 (probably along with Uranium Mining to Mining Sector, Automobile Manufacturing to Manufacturing Sector and a couple of others).

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:30 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Your nation has the #1 in the world badge for the "Largest Agricultural Sector". That's the same thing, and was likely renamed in 2004 (probably along with Uranium Mining to Mining Sector, Automobile Manufacturing to Manufacturing Sector and a couple of others).

Industry: Auto Manufacturing and Sector: Manufacturing both exist.

The Grendels
Attaché

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Grendels » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Automobile Manufacturing is still a separate category from Manufacturing. Manufacturing was last shown April 14th and Auto Manufacturing shown last on March 20th.

If Beef-Based Agriculture has been removed, why are new nations being shown to have this non-existent category? Is this a glitch?
“In off the moor, down through the mist bands,
God-cursed Grendel came, greedily loping.
The bane of the race of men roamed forth, hunting for a prey."

Beowulf

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Your nation has the #1 in the world badge for the "Largest Agricultural Sector". That's the same thing, and was likely renamed in 2004 (probably along with Uranium Mining to Mining Sector, Automobile Manufacturing to Manufacturing Sector and a couple of others).

Industry: Auto Manufacturing and Sector: Manufacturing both exist.

Serves me right for not checking the code first.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:40 pm

The Grendels wrote:If Beef-Based Agriculture has been removed, why are new nations being shown to have this non-existent category? Is this a glitch?

I wouldn't say it's a glitch, just a few of the industries are referred to by different names in various parts of the game. I'd expect it's a result of the issues pool growing, which meant that it was convenient to think of them as broader industries, since there's only so many issues you can write about beef-based agriculture. Same logic with Door-to-door Insurance Sales -> Insurance Industry, Uranium Mining -> Mining, Book Publishing -> Publishing. Since the industries are referenced by their original names in some of the older issues, it's not really inconsistent to retain references to those names in various places.

Return to Technical