NATION

PASSWORD

Nation name release!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:56 am

Lockdownn wrote:
Gide wrote:What does it mean when a nation's name is retired?

It means when a nation's name is used in say an issue and then the mods permanently "retire" the name.

Or an extremely notable figure in the games history, e.g. Francos Spain. or something else (like Max Barry).
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:27 am

Flanderlion wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:It means when a nation's name is used in say an issue and then the mods permanently "retire" the name.

Or an extremely notable figure in the games history, e.g. Francos Spain. or something else (like Max Barry).

We haven't retired Francos Spain or any other notable figure as far as I am aware.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:42 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:Or an extremely notable figure in the games history, e.g. Francos Spain. or something else (like Max Barry).

We haven't retired Francos Spain or any other notable figure as far as I am aware.

I can't link you, because the page just goes to the Boneyard rather than generating a new page for each nation. But type Max Barry or Francos Spain into it and you'll see 'Retired: This name has been retired.' rather than the normal soiled, or former moderator (which is [V]'s nation, which also autocorrects to Violet when you do [Violet], or my original mistype of [Violet}), or CTEd which it would be normally.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:41 am

Flanderlion wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

I can't link you, because the page just goes to the Boneyard rather than generating a new page for each nation. But type Max Barry or Francos Spain into it and you'll see 'Retired: This name has been retired.' rather than the normal soiled, or former moderator (which is [V]'s nation, which also autocorrects to Violet when you do [Violet], or my original mistype of [Violet}), or CTEd which it would be normally.

Sure you can give a link.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=boneya ... os%20Spain
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Kormanthor
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kormanthor » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:00 pm

Kormanthor is NOT ever released by me. It is a name I made up, and it stays with me.
Founder of the Nelchizedeke Cluster; Intergalactic Trade Hub ( ITH ) Member; Inextant Member of ESUS; Member of the USF

Intergalactic Trade Hub ( ITH

Fact Page:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3316&p=92197#p92197

Kormanthor
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kormanthor » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Virgin Incursion is my creation too, I will NOT release it either.
Founder of the Nelchizedeke Cluster; Intergalactic Trade Hub ( ITH ) Member; Inextant Member of ESUS; Member of the USF

Intergalactic Trade Hub ( ITH

Fact Page:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3316&p=92197#p92197

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Kormanthor wrote:Kormanthor is NOT ever released by me. It is a name I made up, and it stays with me.

Kormanthor wrote:Virgin Incursion is my creation too, I will NOT release it either.

No worries. Looks like those nations are of significant size. :)
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon May 02, 2016 12:04 am

So will the name criteria ever be expanded? Like the ones deleted for infractions. After a significant amount of time wouldn't it make sense to toss them back into the choices? After all the names are becoming harder to make sensible ones with.

EDIT: Especially considering how common purges are becoming.
Last edited by The Alexanderians on Mon May 02, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon May 02, 2016 12:14 am

The Alexanderians wrote:So will the name criteria ever be expanded? Like the ones deleted for infractions. After a significant amount of time wouldn't it make sense to toss them back into the choices? After all the names are becoming harder to make sensible ones with.

I'm still hoping they'll drop the good nation wait time from 5 years to something more reasonable like 2.

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon May 02, 2016 12:18 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
The Alexanderians wrote:So will the name criteria ever be expanded? Like the ones deleted for infractions. After a significant amount of time wouldn't it make sense to toss them back into the choices? After all the names are becoming harder to make sensible ones with.

I'm still hoping they'll drop the good nation wait time from 5 years to something more reasonable like 2.

And the population limits too. All of the criteria seem too narrow.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Corinthina
Spokesperson

Founded: May 01, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Corinthina » Fri May 13, 2016 11:55 am

Hi!

Any chance of an upcoming change to item 3 (population size) fairly soon? Considering this policy was set up in 2011 and item 3 was expanded in 2013 from 250 million to 500 million, I don't think that asking for an increase to 750 million or so in 2016 is too out of place. I asked about this possibility back in 2014 and was told that this would entirely be a possibility at some point. I was just wondering if that some point would come any time soon?

Thanks

EDIT: I've been eyeing up the name 'Cascadia' for a number of years now, and would love the opportunity to be able to establish it as my nation. :)

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Corinthina wrote:EDIT: I've been eyeing up the name 'Cascadia' for a number of years now, and would love the opportunity to be able to establish it as my nation. :)

I think Cascadia-Columbia might be a little put out if you did.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Fri May 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Corinthina wrote:Hi!

Any chance of an upcoming change to item 3 (population size) fairly soon? Considering this policy was set up in 2011 and item 3 was expanded in 2013 from 250 million to 500 million, I don't think that asking for an increase to 750 million or so in 2016 is too out of place. I asked about this possibility back in 2014 and was told that this would entirely be a possibility at some point. I was just wondering if that some point would come any time soon?

Thanks

EDIT: I've been eyeing up the name 'Cascadia' for a number of years now, and would love the opportunity to be able to establish it as my nation. :)

For the record, I concur. The current limit means that nations who are active for something like a month then have their names permanently reserved, a time span that seems a little short to me. Of course, there is absolutely no bias regarding the name 'Ceneria' here. :p

Corinthina
Spokesperson

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Corinthina » Fri May 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:
Corinthina wrote:EDIT: I've been eyeing up the name 'Cascadia' for a number of years now, and would love the opportunity to be able to establish it as my nation. :)

I think Cascadia-Columbia might be a little put out if you did.

Haha! I have seen quite a few people on this site who want to create a nation somewhat like Cascadia. I guess, once the name gets released (if it gets released), then it will have to be a good old fashioned race to acquire it first! I've been waiting for sooo long though! I'd be super bummed if I didn't get it.

Midal
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Midal » Fri May 13, 2016 9:06 pm

I would like to know if i can just have my name released if i wanted it to be after i stop playing the game it would make things easier for me because i would really whant my name released and i daught i would come back to playoing if i ever left also i daught that on one random day 20 yrs from know i will remember this game and be like well gully maybe i should play this again :twisted:
Last edited by Midal on Fri May 13, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri May 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Midal wrote:I would like to know if i can just have my name released if i wanted it to be after i stop playing the game it would make things easier for me because i would really whant my name released and i daught i would come back to playoing if i ever left also i daught that on one random day 20 yrs from know i will remember this game and be like well gully maybe i should play this again :twisted:

At 1.8 billion population, I think it's safe to say your name's never going to be rereleased. Even if you leave the game for 50 years, as long as you remember your password you can refound and pick up where you left off.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Barrowedge
Civilian

Founded: May 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Barrowedge » Sat May 14, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks

Let's just remove population entirely.

Take a look at Romania in the Boneyard. Someone who has been offline for THIRTEEN YEARS isn't coming back, no matter what their population is. It's quite literally only an inconvenience, for people who might actually use that name.

We're permanently locking too many great names, some of which with historical connections: take a look at Byzantium in the Boneyard.

It needs to be much more lax, that's for sure.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sat May 14, 2016 11:41 am

Barrowedge wrote:

Thanks

Let's just remove population entirely.

Take a look at Romania in the Boneyard. Someone who has been offline for THIRTEEN YEARS isn't coming back, no matter what their population is. It's quite literally only an inconvenience, for people who might actually use that name.

We're permanently locking too many great names, some of which with historical connections: take a look at Byzantium in the Boneyard.

People do come back after years. It's rare, but it happens. If I remember correctly, there was an episode where someone said basically the same thing you did, and then a help thread showed up in Technical a couple days later. The request? How to get into a nation that had CTE'd 8 years ago. So sometimes it does happen, and I think the staff would much prefer to keep names locked up for too long than too short. No one needs a specific name, but it can be quite discouraging to come back after years and find that your nation is gone, even if you were expecting it to be. It's just not how the staff wants to handle this.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Nova Roma et agros captos
Envoy

Founded: Oct 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Roma et agros captos » Sat May 14, 2016 11:56 am

Flanderlion wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

I find it strange that
Maximus Barrimus
is available as a name
The Roman States of the Empire of Nova Roma et agros captos
Nova Roma et agros captos
Join my region today!
Officer places for first 5 (sensible)applicants!
Close community! Large amount of land available
The Empire of Nova Roma et agros captos

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 14, 2016 11:56 am

Phydios wrote:
Barrowedge wrote:Let's just remove population entirely.

People do come back after years. It's rare, but it happens. If I remember correctly, there was an episode where someone said basically the same thing you did, and then a help thread showed up in Technical a couple days later. The request? How to get into a nation that had CTE'd 8 years ago. So sometimes it does happen, and I think the staff would much prefer to keep names locked up for too long than too short. No one needs a specific name, but it can be quite discouraging to come back after years and find that your nation is gone, even if you were expecting it to be. It's just not how the staff wants to handle this.

Also:

• Wrapper was founded in Antiquity, has 6.256 billion people.
  • Sleep was also founded in Antiquity, but has only 3.553 billion people - less than me, who was first founded in 2013.

Like Phydios said, it's rare, but it does happen.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:02 pm

I'm curious, can the nation ''diablo'' be made available for founding?
Roll tide. Your local ''Floridman'' who should have left long ago xD

Corinthina
Spokesperson

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Corinthina » Mon May 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Starkiller101 wrote:I'm curious, can the nation ''diablo'' be made available for founding?

If they raise the population limits on former nations over the current one of 500 million, then you could found a nation called Diablo, since the last nation to be called Diablo was last active in 2003 and had an estimated population size of 514 million.

It seems as though a good number of us are asking politely for them to raise this population limit. You are welcome to join us!

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon May 16, 2016 2:01 pm

I too would like to say how nice it would be to raise the population limit.

Former nation Riva
Last activity: Sun Mar 2 2003
Population: 502 million

:(
Last edited by Drasnia on Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon May 16, 2016 7:24 pm

The Alexanderians wrote:So will the name criteria ever be expanded? Like the ones deleted for infractions. After a significant amount of time wouldn't it make sense to toss them back into the choices?

The criterion most likely to be adjusted is the population limit, which may rise from 500M. We might move to a system where it's 100M or so for each inactive year. So after 5 years it's 500M and after 10 years it's 1B.

With soiled names, the majority were zapped for the name itself. There are many tens of thousands of them, and if they were released, mods would have to start all over, banning the same names again. Mods could manually mark some soiled names as available for reuse in extraordinary cases, though.

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Mon May 16, 2016 7:35 pm

[violet] wrote:
The Alexanderians wrote:So will the name criteria ever be expanded? Like the ones deleted for infractions. After a significant amount of time wouldn't it make sense to toss them back into the choices?

The criterion most likely to be adjusted is the population limit, which may rise from 500M. We might move to a system where it's 100M or so for each inactive year. So after 5 years it's 500M and after 10 years it's 1B.

With soiled names, the majority were zapped for the name itself. There are many tens of thousands of them, and if they were released, mods would have to start all over, banning the same names again. Mods could manually mark some soiled names as available for reuse in extraordinary cases, though.

You'd think people would have run out of ways to try and sneak "penis" into account names by now.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical