NATION

PASSWORD

Nation name release!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:39 pm

If I donate money to the site can I have a name released earlier? :p

Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:42 pm

No.

Not possible.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:45 pm

*slips you a fiver* Gotcha.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

New Leppikania
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Leppikania » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:37 pm

What if there was no population threshold for reservation, but nations with larger populations would take longer to become available? That would mean that nations with populations of just over 500 million people would still be released.
Aloomenaty, a puppet nation I no longer care about, CTE'd with population 556 million. I was kinda annoyed when I found out it would never be released.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Fantastic. All aboard the WA money waste machine.
Blech, Money Tree Acres, Those Dang Commies, All the Blue Shells, Scout Airlines, Aloomenaty, New Leppikanian Envoy, and Every Nation Ever. Plus one that nobody will ever guess. Hints: preceded New Leppikania, does NOT currently exist, only active for a couple days, name started with OX.
Random GA rules quiz that I set up
I can campaign for a reasonable proposal at the low, low price of a polite telegram!

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:48 pm

New Leppikania wrote:What if there was no population threshold for reservation, but nations with larger populations would take longer to become available? That would mean that nations with populations of just over 500 million people would still be released.
Aloomenaty, a puppet nation I no longer care about, CTE'd with population 556 million. I was kinda annoyed when I found out it would never be released.

Like, 5 extra years for every 500M people?
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Colonial Rhodesia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Colonial Rhodesia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:51 pm

I would like the release of the name Rhodesia please.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."-Cecil John Rhodes
Fighting Communism North of the Zambesi since 1965

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Colonial Rhodesia wrote:I would like the release of the name Rhodesia please.

I don't think that's ever happening.
Active nation Rhodesia
Founded: Sun Oct 9 2011
Last activity: Wed Dec 9 2015
Population: 9.104 billion
Ancient nation Rhodesia
Last activity: Sun Jan 5 2003
Population: 45 million
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

New Leppikania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Leppikania » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Leppikania wrote:
New Leppikania wrote:What if there was no population threshold for reservation, but nations with larger populations would take longer to become available? That would mean that nations with populations of just over 500 million people would still be released.

Like, 5 extra years for every 500M people?

Yeah, something like that.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Fantastic. All aboard the WA money waste machine.
Blech, Money Tree Acres, Those Dang Commies, All the Blue Shells, Scout Airlines, Aloomenaty, New Leppikanian Envoy, and Every Nation Ever. Plus one that nobody will ever guess. Hints: preceded New Leppikania, does NOT currently exist, only active for a couple days, name started with OX.
Random GA rules quiz that I set up
I can campaign for a reasonable proposal at the low, low price of a polite telegram!

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Leppikania wrote:

Active nation Rhodesia
Ancient nation Rhodesia

Yeah at least I want the release of a nation that's been dead for 3 years, you're talking about a nation still owned and operated

Rhodesia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:29 am

Leppikania wrote:

Active nation Rhodesia
Ancient nation Rhodesia

Nope. I grabbed that one. :p

Edit: I do think, perhaps, the population ought to effect the time until release. For example, a name used for 3 months isn't likely to be coming back. There is, however, a remote chance that a name used for a year might come back.

Apart from that, I'd support raising the release limit to 500 million. That's the level at which you can begin to really personalise your nation game side, e.g. add your own description instead of standard "Republic/Kingdom of", etc.
Last edited by Rhodesia on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to start an argument on NationStates:
1. Express an opinion.
2. Wait.
If you're not in Political Compass' green square, NSG won't like you.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:54 am

Rhodesia wrote:
Leppikania wrote:I don't think that's ever happening.

Nope. I grabbed that one. :p

Edit: I do think, perhaps, the population ought to effect the time until release. For example, a name used for 3 months isn't likely to be coming back. There is, however, a remote chance that a name used for a year might come back.

Apart from that, I'd support raising the release limit to 500 million. That's the level at which you can begin to really personalise your nation game side, e.g. add your own description instead of standard "Republic/Kingdom of", etc.

The limit is already at 500 million.

Rhodesia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:07 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Rhodesia wrote:Nope. I grabbed that one. :p

The limit is already at 500 million.

Doh! Ignore me. Thought it was 250m. Turns out the reason I can't get the particular one I was looking at was its ceasing to exist to recently. :blush: Ignore!

On another note... I think the 4/5 year wait is a wee bit long. Whilst some come back after that time, 99% won't. Perhaps 2/3 years would be better.
Last edited by Rhodesia on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to start an argument on NationStates:
1. Express an opinion.
2. Wait.
If you're not in Political Compass' green square, NSG won't like you.

Nazi Supremacy
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazi Supremacy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:00 am

so just to clarify a nation with over 500million that has been dead for over 5 years will never be an ancient one and keep the name forever?(i see one thats been inactive for 10 with 2 mill)

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:14 am

Nazi Supremacy wrote:so just to clarify a nation with over 500million that has been dead for over 5 years will never be an ancient one and keep the name forever?(i see one thats been inactive for 10 with 2 mill)

It'll be a lot easier if you either link the nation you are meaning (or TG it to me if you are worried about someone seeing it and taking it).

But a nation inactive for 10 years, and with 2 million population sounds odd, given nations start with 5 million or so.
If a nation managed to get to 500 million, the name is reserved.

If a nation purchased something, the name is reserved.

If a nation has had a resolution made about them, or has had something significant happen, the name is reserved.

If the nation was owned by a DoS player, or was DEATed the name is reserved.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Nazi Supremacy
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazi Supremacy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Flanderlion wrote:
Nazi Supremacy wrote:so just to clarify a nation with over 500million that has been dead for over 5 years will never be an ancient one and keep the name forever?(i see one thats been inactive for 10 with 2 mill)

It'll be a lot easier if you either link the nation you are meaning (or TG it to me if you are worried about someone seeing it and taking it).

But a nation inactive for 10 years, and with 2 million population sounds odd, given nations start with 5 million or so.

If a nation has had a resolution made about them, or has had something significant happen, the name is reserved.

woops meant 2 billion

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:02 am

Nazi Supremacy wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:It'll be a lot easier if you either link the nation you are meaning (or TG it to me if you are worried about someone seeing it and taking it).

woops meant 2 billion

I replied via TG, but it won't be available unless the rules change, the pop is too high.
Information
Wishlist

North America and the Pacific Islands
Envoy

Founded: Oct 13, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby North America and the Pacific Islands » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm confused by this thread.
Hyperpower AMERICA here to spread freedom and justice for all in exchange for loyalty and black gold
Totally Wizard

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:56 pm

North America and the Pacific Islands wrote:I'm confused by this thread.

Could you explain what's confusing? I'm no mod, but I think just saying that you're confused is entirely unhelpful, unconstructive, and maybe even close to spam. If you tell us what needs to be clarified, though, someone here will be happy to help, though it may take some time.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Envoy

Postby North America and the Pacific Islands » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:45 am

Phydios wrote:
North America and the Pacific Islands wrote:I'm confused by this thread.

Could you explain what's confusing? I'm no mod, but I think just saying that you're confused is entirely unhelpful, unconstructive, and maybe even close to spam. If you tell us what needs to be clarified, though, someone here will be happy to help, though it may take some time.

Ah, I'm sorry for seeming like spam and being unhelpful.

Well I'm confused by is this like a request forum? It seems like people are doing that so yeah.
Hyperpower AMERICA here to spread freedom and justice for all in exchange for loyalty and black gold
Totally Wizard

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:50 am

North America and the Pacific Islands wrote:
Phydios wrote:Could you explain what's confusing? I'm no mod, but I think just saying that you're confused is entirely unhelpful, unconstructive, and maybe even close to spam. If you tell us what needs to be clarified, though, someone here will be happy to help, though it may take some time.

Well I'm confused by is this like a request forum? It seems like people are doing that so yeah.

This is the technical forum.

It's when you have technical questions with regards how to things work. Requests for new features are included in that.

This particular thread is about the nation name release that happened in the past. It's when someone claims a name, and then leaves the game soon afterward. Those names get released again after a few years.

Envoy

Postby North America and the Pacific Islands » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:52 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
North America and the Pacific Islands wrote:

This is the technical forum.

It's when you have technical questions with regards how to things work. Requests for new features are included in that.

This particular thread is about the nation name release that happened in the past. It's when someone claims a name, and then leaves the game soon afterward. Those names get released again after a few years.

I see, thank you for clearing that up.
Totally Wizard

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm

I'm 99% sure I already know the answer to this question is no, but I figure I'll ask anyways.

I'm interested in using the nation name 'Ceneria' for a new nation. According to the Boneyard...
The Boneyard wrote:
  • Former nation Ceneria
    Founded: Sun Sep 16 2007
    Last activity: Sat Dec 8 2007
    Population: 611 million

I am aware that the threshold for nation recreation is 500 million, but I was wondering if, under that rule, this nation name will ever again become available for use.

Again, I'm pretty sure the answer is a definite 'no,' but clarification would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time!

*leaves obligatory plate of preferred sweet treats*
Last edited by The Nation of Ceneria on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:53 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:I'm 99% sure I already know the answer to this question is no, but I figure I'll ask anyways.

I'm interested in using the nation name 'Ceneria' for a new nation. According to the Boneyard...
The Boneyard wrote:
  • Former nation Ceneria
    Founded: Sun Sep 16 2007
    Last activity: Sat Dec 8 2007
    Population: 611 million

I am aware that the threshold for nation recreation is 500 million, but I was wondering if, under that rule, this nation name will ever again become available for use.

Again, I'm pretty sure the answer is a definite 'no,' but clarification would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time!

That nation will only be available again if the threshold is ever raised above 611 million.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:I'm 99% sure I already know the answer to this question is no, but I figure I'll ask anyways.

That nation will only be available again if the threshold is ever raised above 611 million.

Looking at how shot the life of the nation was, maybe the population isn't an adequate standard...

If the growth of nations is uniform to all nations, and the lock on nations being 5 years no matter how small, I would say the limit should be about 2 Billion. That's about a year of activity. If they aren't back after 5 years the chances are they're not coming back, but a year of activity I supposed merits something .
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:34 pm

2 billion sounds a little too large. If it was increasing, it should increase one time to 1,000,000,000 (a billion), and then remain at that forever. A nice round number.

3 months of activity is not really that long (500 mil approx), but 6 months is a good limit (1 bil). But that said, no matter what it is increased to, people are going to request it to be higher.
Information
Wishlist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical