NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mostrov » Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 am

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Wed May 13, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks.

Acronius
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Acronius » Wed May 13, 2015 4:16 pm

They Took Our Gubment! (#427)

Lionsgate media has been abuzz with gossip that Harold Weissenegger, a former bodybuilder and action movie star turned politician who immigrated from Smalltopia at a young age, is set to run for Parliament in the upcoming election. With Weissenegger already ahead in early polls, the legality of an immigrant running for office has been brought into question.

The Debate

"You can't allow this," protests Sue-Ann Washington, currently a distant second in the polls. "I've put fifty years of my life into this country, all to see a Smalltopian barbarian muscle in on what should rightfully be my job? If we don't take action now," she continues grimly, "who'll stop him when he's after your job?"

Accept

"Why stop there?" queries May Neumann, chairperson of the Acronian Nationalist Workers Party. "Immigrants are a danger to our society and cannot be trusted! Letting them in this country is one thing, letting them RUN it is an entirely different story. That's why we should ban immigrants like this 'Eradicator' from being police officers, judges, lawyers, or indeed any job that creates, interprets, or enforces the law!"

Accept

"I live here, work here, pay taxes here... well I live here," monologues Mr Weissenegger after smashing your door down for dramatic effect. "So there's no problemo with me running for office." As he tramples out of the splintered doorway, his last words are carried to you: "Or I'll be back."

Accept

THE UNION OF ACRONIAN KINGDOMS
President Jules Patry · Vice-President César Villeneuve · Minister of Internal Affairs Angus Moss
Minister of Foreign Affairs Jean-Pierre Marceau · Head of Parliament Michel Lancolf · Chief Justice George Proudfoot

AbCo · ADS · Atlas · IATA · IFC · IIWiki

Champions: Emperor's Cup II
Fourth: Cup of Harmony 65, Di Bradini Cup 36/U21 World Cup 57
Semifinals: NationStates Chess Classic I
Quarterfinals: Emperor's Cup I
Playoffs: World Cup 73

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 14, 2015 10:19 am

Acronius wrote:They Took Our Gubment! (#427)

Lionsgate media has been abuzz with gossip that Harold Weissenegger, a former bodybuilder and action movie star turned politician who immigrated from Smalltopia at a young age, is set to run for Parliament in the upcoming election. With Weissenegger already ahead in early polls, the legality of an immigrant running for office has been brought into question.

The Debate

"You can't allow this," protests Sue-Ann Washington, currently a distant second in the polls. "I've put fifty years of my life into this country, all to see a Smalltopian barbarian muscle in on what should rightfully be my job? If we don't take action now," she continues grimly, "who'll stop him when he's after your job?"

Accept

"Why stop there?" queries May Neumann, chairperson of the Acronian Nationalist Workers Party. "Immigrants are a danger to our society and cannot be trusted! Letting them in this country is one thing, letting them RUN it is an entirely different story. That's why we should ban immigrants like this 'Eradicator' from being police officers, judges, lawyers, or indeed any job that creates, interprets, or enforces the law!"

Accept

"I live here, work here, pay taxes here... well I live here," monologues Mr Weissenegger after smashing your door down for dramatic effect. "So there's no problemo with me running for office." As he tramples out of the splintered doorway, his last words are carried to you: "Or I'll be back."

Accept

Author and editor?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu May 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Acronius wrote:They Took Our Gubment! (#427)

The Debate

Accept

Accept

Accept

Author and editor?

That would be Issue by: Trippoli
Editor: Sedgistan

Just got that issue :D
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Thu May 14, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Heads up: I have reason to believe that #427 might have another option. It might be limited to nations with generous pensions for the elderly.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri May 15, 2015 2:41 am

Trotterdam wrote:Heads up: I have reason to believe that #427 might have another option. It might be limited to nations with generous pensions for the elderly.

That's not from Issue #427. All will be revealed...

Mediobogdum II
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 01, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

New Issue #428 Crop Circles Clutter @@CAPITAL@@

Postby Mediobogdum II » Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 pm

The Issue

After several years of beaming Earth's location into outer space, it seems somebody has finally responded... by leaving cryptic messages in the form of crop circles in the fields around @@CAPITAL@@. You tried to summon the nation's leading minds to concoct a response, but only three eccentrics showed up.

The Debate

1. "Aliens! They're aliens I tell you!" raves @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Alternative History Channel's most notorious correspondent. "Finally we can establish a dialogue with the great extraterrestrials who helped mankind leap from the stone age to the ancient monuments of old. This is clearly a depiction of their alien moon. We should study it to learn more about them."

2. "That's no moon!" bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, the nation's foremost authority on Battlestar Galactica fanfiction. "It's obviously some alien form of surveillance, preparation for an invasion. I say we rally the combined military forces of @@REGION@@ and just shoot into the sky until we hit something! We're bound to kill at least one alien invader before we all die a hero's death!"

3. "Um, has anyone noticed that looks an awful lot like @@REGION@@ FC's logo?" counters Dr. @@RANDOMNAME@@ while spreading aerial photos of the phenomenon across your desk. "There's a logical explanation to all this that doesn't involve aliens. The circles were probably caused by intoxicated farm boys. Actually, investing in a small program to teach farmers how to operate machinery more responsibly couldn't hurt."

Dismiss This Issue

Issue by: The Objectivist Enclave of Human Olympus
Editor: Lenyo

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Mediobogdum II wrote:You tried to summon the nation's leading minds to concoct a response, but only three eccentrics showed up.
Love this line :D

Mediobogdum II wrote:2. "That's no moon!" bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, the nation's foremost authority on Battlestar Galactica fanfiction. "It's obviously some alien form of surveillance, preparation for an invasion. I say we rally the combined military forces of @@REGION@@ and just shoot into the sky until we hit something! We're bound to kill at least one alien invader before we all die a hero's death!"
And that got me cracking up widely.

Mediobogdum II wrote:Issue by: The Objectivist Enclave of Human Olympus
My props to, umm, whoever that is. Great issue!

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Wed May 20, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks, added.

Lutvikkia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lutvikkia » Wed May 20, 2015 12:18 am

This is a cool tool that will come in handy!!

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Sun May 24, 2015 3:23 am

#431: Gone A Stray

A group of distraught high school girls has brought the problem of stray dogs and cats around Rejistania to your attention.

"There are too many strays just wandering around!" screams a concerned high school student as she feeds leftover scraps to a noticeably spooked mutt. "We need to gather all these poor animals and get them into a nice shelter where a loving family can adopt them and take care of them - whether they want them or not."

"No! No more animals, please!" begs animal shelter director Emily Gutenberg as she struggles to latch a cage full of cats. "Look, I love these fluffballs as much as the next guy, but we just can't handle any more. We're up to our ears in animals! The problem isn't with the strays, it's with irresponsible pet owners not spaying and neutering their pets. It's high time we required everyone to fix their pets. Do that and this problem will disappear."

"These animals deserve to be free!" screeches Freddy Tan, a member of People for the Ethical Treatment of Everything. "They found a home in the back alleyways and dumps. Who are you to take them away from their homes, tame them and make them your slaves? They don't exist for your entertainment. We must free all of the animals!"

"Let's not get hasty here," interrupts Major Burns while polishing his oakleaves and war medals. "Now these animals could be of use to the police here and overseas with our brave soldiers. There are plenty of jobs that simply aren't suited to our patriotic boys in uniform. Yes, plenty of dangerous jobs. It's not like these strays are going to be missed. And at least we'd be giving them hot meals and a dignified purpose!"

"One bullet each should do the trick," bluntly states a mustachioed local-government employee while loading a revolver. "Problem solved."

Issue by: Junessa
Editor: Luna Amore

I don't know yet what is a randomname and what isn't...
Last edited by Rejistania on Sun May 24, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun May 24, 2015 3:43 am

Thanks, added. #2 is RANDOMFEMALENAME and #3 is RANDOMNAME; 4 is not random.

That's Issue #431, so we're still in search of #429. #430 I believe may not surface for a while.

The OP is now up against the character limit so I'm going to have to reorganize it again soon.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun May 24, 2015 5:18 am

# 429

No Representation without Taxation?

The Issue
The recent publication of a book "Who Pays For Government?", written by internationally famous economist Millicent Freeman, has triggered a public debate about voting rights.

The Debate
1. "Look, it's simple," explains Finance Minister Margaret Li. "Most things the government does cost money. That money has to be raised through taxes, so anybody who doesn't pay any tax shouldn't have any say in choosing the government either. We should make paying at least a specified minimum amount in tax necessary for inclusion in the electoral lists. It'll reward those who actually contribute to society, and give those who don't a bit of incentive to pull themselves up by their bootstraps."

2. "That's not going far enough!" insists teenager Don Song, wearing a homemade Guy Fawkes mask while borrowing the controversial objectivist tract Maxlas Shrugged from the Council Groves Public Library. "Since state employees - like this parasite helping me check out my books! - are drawing their salary from the government, they're not contributing anything to the economy either, and they should be excluded from voting too!"

3. "No, no, a thousand times no!" notorious labour rights activist 'Red' Jack Anderson protests. "Voting is the most basic right we have, and election day is the one time when every Bear, rich or poor, is an equal. The right to vote has to be protected for all Bears, and election day made a public holiday so that working class people can afford to vote without risking losing their jobs. The dip in productivity is more than justified by ensuring everyone has a chance to perform their civic duty."

4. "That's very stirring rhetoric, but I wonder if everyone really feels that way," muses libertarian scholar Naki Summers, a research fellow at the Nyancato Institute. "So why not give everyone the choice? Make it legal for people to sell their votes, and leave it to them to decide what's more important to them: keeping their vote, or feeding their family."

Issue by: The Free Bears of Bears Armed
Editor: Golgothastan

^_^

Golgothastan basically wrote the second to fourth options provided here, although following the same general pattern as my submitted version as far as the speakers' general attitudes were concerned. "Millicent Freeman" is a fixed name, the others are random.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon May 25, 2015 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun May 24, 2015 5:36 am

Thanks, added. Yes, there were some changes, but it was a very strong submission.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun May 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Golgothastan wrote:The OP is now up against the character limit so I'm going to have to reorganize it again soon.

I cleverly added a new blank second post for you.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun May 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks.

Big Brain City
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 09, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Big Brain City » Sun May 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Anyone reported this? It's at the end of the url for Dillemma 432.
NationStates issues wrote:Children in the Lead?
LEGISLATION PENDING

The Issue

A recent broadsheet special on the children of other leaders in The United Federative of the UCE PUPPETS has brought attention to the lack of children in your own residence. Mindful of your dipping approval, some of your advisors have begun to wonder if some popularity could be won back by having a kid or two.

The Debate

''This is a golden PR opportunity,'' exclaims Rebecca Longbottom, representing Moral Minority. ''Imagine: you'd be the wise family figure. Think how much the people will love your new baby. You'll be the epitome of family values leading everyone into domestic bliss. And think of the merchandising! I mean, think of the children."

Accept

Maxford University demographer and suspected eugenicist Hope Han disagrees. "The fact is our nation is overflowing with young ne'er do wells. They commit more crimes, are more prone to rudeness, and worst of all are least likely to care about your good works, President of the Republic Alana Berydan. We have to send the message that we are going to do something about the troublesome demographics, and a good place to start is by you staying childless. And if we really want to crack down on population growth, we need to double down on border security too."

Accept

''Or how about adoption?'' schemes Zack Schultz, your PR expert.'' I could see you with a nice adopted Lilliputian boy and an adopted Maxtopian girl. It would look great in front of the cameras. You could be the most multicultural and tolerant leader in The United Federative of the UCE PUPPETS! And if everyone follows your lead, the orphanages won't be nearly as dreary!"

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

I already did the issue, though...
THE STATE OF BIG BRAIN CITY
EXITUS ACTA PROBAT

The Big Brain wrote:Freedom? People are fools and unworthy of much freedom. Even I am a fool. Many people have recognized that and want me to suffer for it.
Unfortunately for them, I can glass their planets.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun May 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Big Brain City wrote:Anyone reported this? It's at the end of the url for Dillemma 432.

I already did the issue, though...

No one has reported it yet. It's brand new, been in game less than 12 hours.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 pm

#432 Children in the Lead?
This would have been more amusing if it was an issue about children holding office, following on them being allowed to vote in #182.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Mon May 25, 2015 2:52 am

Trotterdam wrote:
#432 Children in the Lead?
This would have been more amusing if it was an issue about children holding office, following on them being allowed to vote in #182.

That would have been much better.

But, I don't decide which issues get approved, I just update the list. Thanks, added.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 am

Golgothastan wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:This would have been more amusing if it was an issue about children holding office, following on them being allowed to vote in #182.

That would have been much better.

But, I don't decide which issues get approved, I just update the list. Thanks, added.

Oh I have an idea now... :twisted:
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Chostea
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

Postby Chostea » Mon May 25, 2015 7:16 am

Phrontisteries wrote:Am I the first to get this?

[An International Incident] Brasilistan Go Boom

The Story So Far
You decided to deal with the crisis in Brasilistan by launching a wave of nuclear strikes.

The Issue
When you give the order to launch the nukes, your general briefly leaves the room. The moments tick by. When he returns, he simply nods once. "Birds in the air." There are almost two dozen people around this table, including some of the most brilliant minds and fearsome personalities in @@NAME@@, but none of them speak. "Three minutes until impact." You expected more activity. But there's nothing to do. There aren't even any gigantic computer screens, tracing the path of the missiles. It's beneath you, you suppose. Your job is not to track the flight of missiles. Your job is simply to decide. And that's what you've done. You've decided to annihilate another country. You look around the table at your advisors and soldiers. Some nod back at you reassuringly. Some won't meet your eyes. Not everyone will agree with you, of course. But it's not their decision. It's yours. The general leaves the room several more times. Finally, he returns. "It's done," your general says. "It's done."

The Debate

The Government Position
The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

(either option 1 or dismiss)

What does the text say in the "following new legislation in country..." say after you pick the only option?
Population: ~110 million
NS stats ≠ My stats. Reading factbooks saves lives!

DEFLEV: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] – Peacetime

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 25, 2015 7:36 am

Bears Armed wrote:# 429

No Representation without Taxation?
The Issue
The recent publication of a book "Who Pays For Government?", written by internationally famous economist Millicent Freeman, has triggered a public debate about voting rights.

The Debate
1. "Look, it's simple," explains Finance Minister Margaret Li. "Most things the government does cost money. That money has to be raised through taxes, so anybody who doesn't pay any tax shouldn't have any say in choosing the government either. We should make paying at least a specified minimum amount in tax necessary for inclusion in the electoral lists. It'll reward those who actually contribute to society, and give those who don't a bit of incentive to pull themselves up by their bootstraps."

2. "That's not going far enough!" insists teenager Don Song, wearing a homemade Guy Fawkes mask while borrowing the controversial objectivist tract Maxlas Shrugged from the Council Groves Public Library. "Since state employees - like this parasite helping me check out my books! - are drawing their salary from the government, they're not contributing anything to the economy either, and they should be excluded from voting too!"

3. "No, no, a thousand times no!" notorious labour rights activist 'Red' Jack Anderson protests. "Voting is the most basic right we have, and election day is the one time when every Bear, rich or poor, is an equal. The right to vote has to be protected for all Bears, and election day made a public holiday so that working class people can afford to vote without risking losing their jobs. The dip in productivity is more than justified by ensuring everyone has a chance to perform their civic duty."

4. "That's very stirring rhetoric, but I wonder if everyone really feels that way," muses libertarian scholar Naki Summers, a research fellow at the Nyancato Institute. "So why not give everyone the choice? Make it legal for people to sell their votes, and leave it to them to decide what's more important to them: keeping their vote, or feeding their family."

Issue by: The Free Bears of Bears Armed
Editor: Golgothastan

^_^

Golgothastan basically wrote the second fourth options provided here, although following the same general pattern as my submitted version as far as the speakers' general attitudes were concerned. "Millicent Freeman" is a fixed name, the others are random.

Option #1 effect: "tax assessment offices double as polling stations".
Option #3 effect: "factories grind to a halt every time there is an election".

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?