NATION

PASSWORD

Issue lack of consistency

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
VoetbalPompey
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Issue lack of consistency

Postby VoetbalPompey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm sure this must have been talked about before, I searched the forum but couldn't find another thread.

My issue (reminding me why I quit this game the first few times) is that the issues don't make sense.

For example I passed a law to ban cars.

I then get three issues about car related problems, this makes no sense.

What's the point in addressing issues and crafting your nation if it doesn't take them into consideration.

The Agnostic Collective
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Agnostic Collective » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Naturally, when you ban something, you're bound to get an issue to reverse it. Anything beyond that is the usual NS logic.

VoetbalPompey
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby VoetbalPompey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:10 pm

For sure that makes sense.

I just had one that was great, about referendums being too much work, when I had earlier passed an issue allowing them.

The car and pollution ones are driving me to quitting again.

1) Ban cars
2) Angry motorists have road rage about traffic jams.

WTF there are no motorists, I banned cars.

Havenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 pm

I dont have that problem. The only problem I have with NS is that the notification systems work literally half the time, or that I will respond to someone who quoted me on the rmb, then minutes later I get the notification saying that (s)he quoted me. With a active region and a fast rmb, it gets really annoying.

VoetbalPompey
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby VoetbalPompey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Breastmilk is being bootlegged and smuggled by a guy named "nipples" because apparently it's prohibited.

Meanwhile need reporters are breastfeeding during broadcasts to distract viewers because it's also super legal everywhere.

One more chance NationStates, one more. Then never again.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Havenburgh wrote:I dont have that problem. The only problem I have with NS is that the notification systems work literally half the time, or that I will respond to someone who quoted me on the rmb, then minutes later I get the notification saying that (s)he quoted me. With a active region and a fast rmb, it gets really annoying.

Not the topic of the thread.
VoetbalPompey wrote:Breastmilk is being bootlegged and smuggled by a guy named "nipples" because apparently it's prohibited.

Meanwhile need reporters are breastfeeding during broadcasts to distract viewers because it's also super legal everywhere.

One more chance NationStates, one more. Then never again.

You banned breastfeeding then reversed the ban. Not seeing the issue.

Also, cars are not banned in your nation.

Moved to Got Issues :arrow:
Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Well for one thing, the issues were never meant to be taken all that seriously. The actual simulation part of the game is largely a parody of political affairs more-so than a hardcore recreation, so of course when applied to real world logic they're not always going to make sense. NS issues are meant to be silly and low stakes.

As for what others said, yes, when you get a similar issue again, this is basically your chance to reverse it if you so wish. In real life, countries are not eternally constant, laws are being passed, repealed, and rewritten every day, so it actually does make sense to get a similar issue topic more than once. If you don't want to change your nation's policy on it this time around, you're completely free to just decide as you did before or dismiss the issue until one you are interested pops up. It's really very simple.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Havenburgh wrote:I dont have that problem. The only problem I have with NS is that the notification systems work literally half the time, or that I will respond to someone who quoted me on the rmb, then minutes later I get the notification saying that (s)he quoted me. With a active region and a fast rmb, it gets really annoying.
You can configure which things you get notifications for at http://www.nationstates.net/page=subscriptions. So you can turn off notifications for things that happen too often to be noteworthy.

It might be useful if the "RMB Mention" and "RMB Quote" options could be configured to only report mentions on RMBs besides that of your own region.

VoetbalPompey wrote:Breastmilk is being bootlegged and smuggled by a guy named "nipples" because apparently it's prohibited.
Don't you think it's likely to be a woman?

VoetbalPompey wrote:Meanwhile need reporters are breastfeeding during broadcasts to distract viewers because it's also super legal everywhere.
Make inconsistent choices and you get inconsistent results. The second issue had an option which is entirely consistent with your policy in the first issue, you just didn't pick it. That implies that you changed your mind, or instituted a more nuanced law that allows for certain exceptions to the rule. Use your imagination.

Also, you know, we have a "Help us fix old issues" thread. If you really think an issue has a wrong validity, you can post it rather than just complaining about how we're all idiots for not noticing ourselves.

Giovenith wrote:NS issues are meant to be silly and low stakes.
Except for #221, naturally.

VoetbalPompey
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby VoetbalPompey » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:50 pm

When did I get two breastfeeding issues and I recall banning cars.

Where are you getting your info?

Can I see all old issues I've voted on, can I see other peoples issues??

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:31 pm

VoetbalPompey wrote:When did I get two breastfeeding issues
You got #446 and chose option 4, and 36 hours later, you got #197 and chose option 1.

Being an effective leader does kind of require paying attention to what you're doing.

VoetbalPompey wrote:and I recall banning cars.
With which issue?

VoetbalPompey wrote:Can I see all old issues I've voted on,
No. You can see the results of your recent issues on your nation page (this link may also help), and you may be able to find the numbers/names of your recent issues on your notices page, which you can use to look them up in the spoiler thread.

However, the game doesn't permanently track exactly all issues that you have ever received (though it tracks their aggregated result). If you want that, you'll need to do it yourself.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Furthermore, Game Moderators (and Issue Editors, I think) can actually view the logs the game makes regarding your issue choices. So Luna can see what issues you've received, what choices you made, and what effects those choices have had. That's where he's (I'm pretty sure Luna has said they're male) getting his info. Regular users can also see the effect lines of your recent issues by looking at your National Happenings, which can be matched up to an issue option with the right knowledge.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Phydios wrote:Furthermore, Game Moderators (and Issue Editors, I think) can actually view the logs the game makes regarding your issue choices. So Luna can see what issues you've received, what choices you made, and what effects those choices have had. That's where he's (I'm pretty sure Luna has said they're male) getting his info. Regular users can also see the effect lines of your recent issues by looking at your National Happenings, which can be matched up to an issue option with the right knowledge.

I actually can't see what specific choices people have made, just a list of issue numbers received in order. I just infer the hell out of that list. :p

I believe Game Mods and Admins have a more thorough log.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Phydios wrote:Furthermore, Game Moderators (and Issue Editors, I think) can actually view the logs the game makes regarding your issue choices. So Luna can see what issues you've received, what choices you made, and what effects those choices have had. That's where he's (I'm pretty sure Luna has said they're male) getting his info. Regular users can also see the effect lines of your recent issues by looking at your National Happenings, which can be matched up to an issue option with the right knowledge.

I actually can't see what specific choices people have made, just a list of issue numbers received in order. I just infer the hell out of that list. :p

I believe Game Mods and Admins have a more thorough log.

Ah, ok. Thanks.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
VoetbalPompey wrote:Can I see all old issues I've voted on,
No. You can see the results of your recent issues on your nation page (this link may also help), and you may be able to find the numbers/names of your recent issues on your notices page, which you can use to look them up in the spoiler thread.

However, the game doesn't permanently track exactly all issues that you have ever received (though it tracks their aggregated result). If you want that, you'll need to do it yourself.

He started the game in September. My notices show me every issue I've gotten for the last 48 days.

He likely is right.
Last edited by Kesshite on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Luna Amore wrote:I believe Game Mods and Admins have a more thorough log.

Not really. We can see the same National Happenings that's available to everyone else, and the same list of issues that visible to IEs. We can also see current pending issue numbers, which I don't believe IEs can see.

The game doesn't log detail about past issue choices beyond National Happenings. It just makes the changes to the stats, logs that you've received the issue number, and moves on.

Kesshite wrote:My notices show me every issue I've gotten for the last 48 days.

The game only stores the last 6 days for you.

You're using NS++, correct? NS++ maintains longer logs than the game does. We only go back the last 10-15 changes or the last 5-10 days. The only way we can see changes older than a week or two is if the nation is entirely static and just logging in without getting any issues, trophies, or moves.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:23 pm

What is NS++?

Click here. <- That extends 48 days for me.
Last edited by Kesshite on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:08 am

Kesshite wrote:What is NS++?

Click here. <- That extends 48 days for me.

We know what you're talking about. If you don't know about NS++, click here. It saves past National Happenings, and apparently notices too.
Last edited by Phydios on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:53 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I believe Game Mods and Admins have a more thorough log.

Not really. We can see the same National Happenings that's available to everyone else, and the same list of issues that visible to IEs. We can also see current pending issue numbers, which I don't believe IEs can see.

We can.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Undivulged Principles
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Undivulged Principles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 am

The issue I seem to have with a lot of posters on this forum is their own lack of consistency. Many of them don't know what they are talking about when they complain about issues but feel compelled to issue a complaint to change what they feel is a problem.

Lets take the OP. He complains about having banned cars and then receiving an issue about cars. Even though he didn't ban cars. Even if he did it would only be natural for others in the nation to bring up cars as an issue. Then take it from the perspective the OP isn't the only person playing the game. For some banning cars in their nation is one thing but it doesn't mean their car industry should disappear. There is a thing called an export industry. You can actually have a nation that bans cars but still has a relatively vibrant export auto industry. You can also use banning cars to unlock issues that allow your nation to now focus on greener fuels for cars, something that is difficult unless you first ban cars.

The game isnt meant for one persons pleasure but to make it pleasant for all. This means you will have to deal with some comparatively stupid issues for your nation but if that disuades you from persisting kn the game, have fun with life because I guarantee it will be far more frustrating than this fame will ever be.
- I could RP my big toe to be more powerful than your nation. That doesn't mean it applies in NS
~ Source? I'm not your mommy. Do your own homework. Not providing third party support for opinions. Don't believe look it up yourself, or not. Idc
~ democracy allows the least qualified to judge the most..

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?