NATION

PASSWORD

Chain Issue: An International Incident

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed May 06, 2015 10:39 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Divergia wrote:Still waiting.....

Wait what was the final effect for the nuking?(I know you get two extra issues that'll guilt trip you, but what happens after that?)
I'm working on a draft that basically guilt-trips you for nuking them.

The final, Max-written issue is there to guilt trip. I won't be adding an issue as you suggest because it gives the effect of prolonging the chain even further.

No thanks.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed May 06, 2015 10:57 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote: I'm working on a draft that basically guilt-trips you for nuking them.

The final, Max-written issue is there to guilt trip. I won't be adding an issue as you suggest because it gives the effect of prolonging the chain even further.

No thanks.

Luna pointed that out to me, and I scrapped the draft.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Dekandinna
Civilian

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dekandinna » Mon May 18, 2015 8:57 pm

I need help with this one too. I just got it, and I want to save my people from Brasilistani slavery, but at the same time, my nation wants to stay isolationist. We don't like the spotlight, and don't want to get involved in the world stage. Should I declare war on them? What happens if I chhose peace?

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue May 19, 2015 11:21 am

Dekandinna wrote:I need help with this one too. I just got it, and I want to save my people from Brasilistani slavery, but at the same time, my nation wants to stay isolationist. We don't like the spotlight, and don't want to get involved in the world stage. Should I declare war on them? What happens if I chhose peace?

The complete chain and effects are listed in the OP. If you want to leave Brasilistan alone, I recommend:
#387 [An International Incident] Diamonds Are An Expat's Best Friend!
2. the nightly news reports prosaically on the government blindly throwing money at despotic kidnappers [leads to #389]

#389 [An International Incident] Sanctions, Sanctions Everywhere!
2. the nation's coasts have been left unprotected while the entire navy sits in Brasilistani waters [leads to #392]

#392 [An International Incident] A Pirate Problem
2. nations around the region are recognising Gingerbeard as the new leader of Brasilistan [leads to #395]

#395 [An International Incident] Growing Pains
1. the nation has abandoned Brasilistan to its fate [end chain]

Or just dismissing the issue. That's the most isolationist you can get.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Dictatorship of Earth
Civilian

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dictatorship of Earth » Mon May 25, 2015 11:18 am

Uh, I'm about to hit the button that authorizes the nuking of Brasilistan.
5 second later edit: Button pressed
Last edited by Dictatorship of Earth on Mon May 25, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 25, 2015 12:32 pm

It's a lot more dramatic once update time rolls around. Pressing the button doesn't do anything until then ;)

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue May 26, 2015 1:55 am

Hah. Just finished this one. Good fun actually, and pretty well-written. Made a factbook about it - just by reading it can you guess the path I took?

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=car ... /id=427690
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 26, 2015 2:15 am

Caracasus wrote:Hah. Just finished this one. Good fun actually, and pretty well-written. Made a factbook about it - just by reading it can you guess the path I took?

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=cara ... /id=427690
Looks like this one:
#387 2. the nightly news reports prosaically on the government blindly throwing money at despotic kidnappers
#389 3. a new Brasilistani government has become a daily report on the main evening news
#390 1. the nation's armed forces are recruiting thousands to help colonise Brasilistan
#405 1. the nation has gained millions of new citizens overnight

The last one is the one I'm least sure of, but your last section does it make it sound like you're being nice to the conquered people. The other three I'm like 99.9999999% sure are correct.

And yes, I did play fair. I haven't even looked at your nation page yet. I'll do that after hitting submit.

EDIT: Confirming that my guess was 100% correct. Also, belatedly thought to spoiler-tag the path in case anyone else wants to play.

EDIT TWO: Realized I should close the spoiler block a little lower.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Hah. Just finished this one. Good fun actually, and pretty well-written. Made a factbook about it - just by reading it can you guess the path I took?

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=cara ... /id=427690
Looks like this one:
#387 2. the nightly news reports prosaically on the government blindly throwing money at despotic kidnappers
#389 3. a new Brasilistani government has become a daily report on the main evening news
#390 1. the nation's armed forces are recruiting thousands to help colonise Brasilistan

The last one is the one I'm least sure of, but your last section does it make it sound like you're being nice to the conquered people. The other three I'm like 99.9999999% sure are correct.

And yes, I did play fair. I haven't even looked at your nation page yet. I'll do that after hitting submit.

EDIT: Confirming that my guess was 100% correct. Also, belatedly thought to spoiler-tag the path in case anyone else wants to play.

Spot on! And good call with the spoiler tag. Yeah, as I said, it was great fun to go through. I know it took ages to make so here's hoping they're working on another chain. It'd be interesting to see a non-military chain as well. Perhaps something about natural disasters or so on?
Last edited by Caracasus on Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Tue May 26, 2015 5:04 am

Caracasus wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Looks like this one:

Spot on! And good call with the spoiler tag. Yeah, as I said, it was great fun to go through. I know it took ages to make so here's hoping they're working on another chain. It'd be interesting to see a non-military chain as well. Perhaps something about natural disasters or so on?

I volunteered to write another chain, and started writing one (in private) along with a couple other guys. We probably ought to get back to it but... actually I have no proper excuse.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue May 26, 2015 5:27 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

I volunteered to write another chain, and started writing one (in private) along with a couple other guys. We probably ought to get back to it but... actually I have no proper excuse.

Well if you want a hand with anything like that - I don't mind helping out at all.

Greater Indomalaya
Civilian

Founded: May 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Indomalaya » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:I'm waiting for somebody to take the nuclear option, personally. :P

I rode it out and took the nuclear option. I just got this:

"When you give the order to launch the nukes, your general briefly leaves the room. The moments tick by. When he returns, he simply nods once. "Birds in the air." There are almost two dozen people around this table, including some of the most brilliant minds and fearsome personalities in Greater Indomalaya, but none of them speak. "Three minutes until impact." You expected more activity. But there's nothing to do. There aren't even any gigantic computer screens, tracing the path of the missiles. It's beneath you, you suppose. Your job is not to track the flight of missiles. Your job is simply to decide. And that's what you've done. You've decided to annihilate another country. You look around the table at your advisors and soldiers. Some nod back at you reassuringly. Some won't meet your eyes. Not everyone will agree with you, of course. But it's not their decision. It's yours. The general leaves the room several more times. Finally, he returns. "It's done," your general says. "It's done."

It only gives me an option to dismiss the issue. Honestly, I feel pretty good about it.

Jeoate
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeoate » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:I'm waiting for somebody to take the nuclear option, personally. :P

I did that and didn't finish it cause I dismissed it

Islamic Republic e Jariri
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:35 pm

The Story So Far

Your government's response to overtures of aggression from the Brasilistanis has been to march the Islamic Republic e Jaririan army in and take out the tyrannical and violent government.

The Issue

The "intervention" into Brasilistan has largely been a success, but now the nation has devolved into anarchy with no functioning government. International allies and observers are concerned and have asked that Islamic Republic e Jariri clean up the mess it made.

The Debate

"This is our chance to expand our power and influence", your Minister for Defence suggests quietly. "Brasilistan might have had a tyrannical government, but the people may be useful, and it does have plenty of resources. We need to send in the remainder of our armed forces, quell any dissent, and set ourselves up a nice colony. We'd have more taxes coming in, a larger pool of people for our army to recruit from, and we'll have a nice power base in a far off part of the region. It'll be costly, but definitely worth it."

Accept

Foreign Minister Smoochinger sighs before joining in the conversation. "If we colonise Brasilistan then we'll be doing exactly what its last government did that got us into this mess – sweeping attacks on another peoples' sovereignty. I agree that we should send in more troops to clean up things, but then we should help them set up a new, stable, and less aggressive government. Admittedly, this will consume large resources in the short term, but think of the public support we'd attain by establishing a new democracy full of freedoms abroad. And the long term benefits of ensuring it's a government that's friendly and sympathetic to our aims are pretty enticing too."

Accept

I'd like to know which chain issue will arise from either option - and also does either Option 1 or 2 here decrease my economy?

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:36 pm

As I just told you, there's a full list of what issues arise from which options at the top of the first post in this thread. It's the big spoiler box that's labeled "The Issue Path as provided by someone far more dedicated than me". I can't answer your second question, but I have answered your first one twice now.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Islamic Republic e Jariri
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:43 pm

Phydios wrote:As I just told you, there's a full list of what issues arise from which options at the top of the first post in this thread. It's the big spoiler box that's labeled "The Issue Path as provided by someone far more dedicated than me". I can't answer your second question, but I have answered your first one twice now.

Then twice you took the time guide me, if its thank you you want, then thank you, I've grasped the chain system now, I was initially confused and posted my questions here but I have the answers to my questions now after a re-examination, you don't need to keep following me anymore. its over.

AllInTheRedia
Civilian

Founded: Jun 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

So I nuked them

Postby AllInTheRedia » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:11 am

Guess what? You simply get away from nuking them.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am

A. We already knew that. The entire issue chain has been mapped for ages.
B. What did you expect? The game can't retaliate in any way that would keep you from getting to continue playing your nation.

Traemont
Secretary

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Traemont » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:38 pm

I have a question/complaint/comment about the results of the annexation option in #405, where I conquer Brasilistan or whatever they're called. As background, I run a moderately libertarian government and have spent some effort rooting out government involvement in a variety of issues. My government was down to less than 7% of the economy, almost all of which was an even split between police and military.

During the chain, government went up to a little over 10% due to increases in military spending. That was perfectly reasonable and appropriate.

However, after annexation - or maybe it was the result of the previous issue of colonization - suddenly my government size doubled to 20% due to nonmilitary spending, mostly social spending that I had wiped out and also some international aid that I'd never previously had.

Why? This seems a little unreasonable to me. The path I took in the chain consciously and specifically avoided any international aid. And it seems unreasonable that treating all former Brasilitanis as full citizens would suddenly give them things like health care subsidies that preexisting citizens didn't get. And that's not to mention that the 2 million new citizens - 3% of my population - could add 100% to my government spending.

Now, don't get me wrong. The chain was fun and if I have to spend lots of time rooting out the renewed government spending, it was still worth doing the chain, even if it didn't really increase my population beyond what it would have been.

But does anyone have any explanation for the seemingly illogical results for my government spending?

Traemont
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Traemont » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Also, for anyone in the future looking for the economic results, each of the military buildup for invasion and the annexation seems to have been associated with a 1% increase in economy, which was nice. Freedoms don't seem to have changed.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Traemont wrote:I have a question/complaint/comment about the results of the annexation option in #405, where I conquer Brasilistan or whatever they're called. As background, I run a moderately libertarian government and have spent some effort rooting out government involvement in a variety of issues. My government was down to less than 7% of the economy, almost all of which was an even split between police and military.

During the chain, government went up to a little over 10% due to increases in military spending. That was perfectly reasonable and appropriate.

However, after annexation - or maybe it was the result of the previous issue of colonization - suddenly my government size doubled to 20% due to nonmilitary spending, mostly social spending that I had wiped out and also some international aid that I'd never previously had.

Why? This seems a little unreasonable to me. The path I took in the chain consciously and specifically avoided any international aid. And it seems unreasonable that treating all former Brasilitanis as full citizens would suddenly give them things like health care subsidies that preexisting citizens didn't get. And that's not to mention that the 2 million new citizens - 3% of my population - could add 100% to my government spending.

Now, don't get me wrong. The chain was fun and if I have to spend lots of time rooting out the renewed government spending, it was still worth doing the chain, even if it didn't really increase my population beyond what it would have been.

But does anyone have any explanation for the seemingly illogical results for my government spending?

My suspicion is that it's to help with the annexation. Think about it: Brasilistan has bombed to smithereens, thousands of people killed, and then annexed by you. Providing the Brasilistanis free healthcare and aid such as food (which for a while could be classed as international aid?) would make the long-term conquest of the country much easier.

That's my suspicion.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Enkida
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Enkida » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:08 pm

Got mine a couple days ago. So far I have weakened their air force and army, am planning an invasion, and a brutal takeover and colonization of their land. That'll be the price they pay for their crimes against Enkida among other nations.
A scandinavian-themed nation, with American problems. My actual views on politics.

Pro: National Socialist, Laissez Faire, Free Speech, Right to Bear Arms, Paganism (although any religion is accepted in Enkida)
Anti: Communist, Jihad, Zionist, SJW, Malevolent Dictators
Territories: Germany, South Finland, West Poland, West Turkey, and The Netherlands.

Now if only I could do this for reals.

Traemont
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Traemont » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:54 am

Just a brief comparison of colonization options 1 and 2, based on experiences with two nations. Option 1 provides them with citizenship, and apparently involves a lot of social welfare, even if you didn't have any before. Option 2 does not. For nations that don't have a lot of social welfare, option 2 is the one to pick if what you actually want is for the economy and government to reflect having existing Brasilitanis treated like your own citizens, rather than better.
Last edited by Traemont on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ktilqr
Secretary

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ktilqr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:24 am

Kesshite wrote:For those of you wondering about the non-hostile actions.

1) I decided to try to bribe them into letting our citizens free. (NH: nightly news reports prosaically on the government blindly throwing money at despotic kidnappers.) That worked. Then I was given the option to invade or impose sanctions.
2) I imposed sanction, and I was told many Brasilistan are starving or without essential goods. (NH: toilet paper is considered a non-essential item in the embargo against Brasilistan.)
3) I decided to loosen restrictions and send care packages. The despotic leadership intercepted them and kept the goods for themselves. (NH: the government is spending more on exports to Brasilistan than it's receiving from tariffs on the imports.)
4) I decided to send a peacekeeping force to supervise the distribution of goods. I also had the option of letting the savages all starve to death.(NH: soldiers are now trained how [sic] to make sandwiches properly.)

That seems to be the end of my chain. I always picked the most peaceful or compassionate option.

I almost followed but at step 4) I went for education. I sent them fishing rods and unintelligible instruction manuals. Well I guess that solved their toilet paper shortage!

Odazdan
Civilian

Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Odazdan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:10 pm

I just finished this chain.

Go to war > bomb them > bomb factories > send in commandoes to kill their leaders > full scale invasion > make the country a part of Odazdan.

Im satisfied with my ending but its done nothing to my stats and that sucks :/

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?