NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Axiom
Minister

Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Tornavia wrote:I got issue #157: sergeants are too nasty, say new recruits when I dont even have a military.

Sure you do, as long as you spend money on defense.
Considering my previous experience, that's how the "military" aspect of NationStates works. You don't need military factbooks or anything to officially have a military, again, that's what the defense spending is for.
Your military is very very tiny, but it's there. Kinda like, I dunno, Australia?

correct me if I'm wrong, mods
Everyone has a plan until the New Axiom Imperial Army comes. Then everyone is just like, omigawd. Run.

My favorite user quotes:
Zakuvia wrote:If you aren't imagining a chain gang of adorable old retirees building a wall with Fixodent and using their Hoverounds as tow trucks then you're not the NS I remember.

Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:
You mean Black Friday as in the Apex Preadator of Capatalism?

Victory is measured in gi Joe dolls and easy bake ovens. It was not old age that killed castro, it was nintendo.

Pringles or Lays Stax? I prefer the Lays.

Naasseners
Secretary

Founded: Jun 12, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Naasseners » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:40 pm

New Axiom wrote:
Tornavia wrote:I got issue #157: sergeants are too nasty, say new recruits when I dont even have a military.

That seems accurate. This nation has had 0% defense spending for a long while, and hasn't got those issues. Whereas one of my puppets went from 0% to 0.1%, and is getting those again. (Not sure how. That nation supposed to be pacifistic, I'd never choose anything that's pro-war or pro-military for it.)
Last edited by Naasseners on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:07 am

New Axiom wrote:

Considering my previous experience, that's how the "military" aspect of NationStates works. You don't need military factbooks or anything to officially have a military, again, that's what the defense spending is for.
Your military is very very tiny, but it's there. Kinda like, I dunno, Australia?

(Check the "puppets" in my sig; I'm the same player)
So, since when did I have a military in that nation? I remember stamping it out entirely.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

New Axiom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:01 am

Leppikania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:

(Check the "puppets" in my sig; I'm the same player)
So, since when did I have a military in that nation? I remember stamping it out entirely.

If you look at how much money your government spends on different stuff (that government building icon), Tornavia spends 0.9 percent of its money on its Defense, meaning it spends that money on a military. Leppikania does NOT spend ANY money on defense, therefore has no military whatsoever.

again, correct me if I'm wrong
Everyone has a plan until the New Axiom Imperial Army comes. Then everyone is just like, omigawd. Run.

My favorite user quotes:
Zakuvia wrote:If you aren't imagining a chain gang of adorable old retirees building a wall with Fixodent and using their Hoverounds as tow trucks then you're not the NS I remember.

Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:

Victory is measured in gi Joe dolls and easy bake ovens. It was not old age that killed castro, it was nintendo.

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 am

New Axiom wrote:
Leppikania wrote:(Check the "puppets" in my sig; I'm the same player)

If you look at how much money your government spends on different stuff (that government building icon), Tornavia spends 0.9 percent of its money on its Defense, meaning it spends that money on a military. Leppikania does NOT spend ANY money on defense, therefore has no military whatsoever.

I can see that, but how did I get it?
Last edited by Leppikania on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
Funny Quotes
Request an Embassy

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:11 am

Leppikania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:

Yes, but how did I get it?

I have no idea which nation you are talking about at this point. Tornavia does spend some money on military. Leppikania does not.

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:19 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Leppikania wrote:Yes, but how did I get it?

I have no idea which nation you are talking about at this point. Tornavia does spend some money on military. Leppikania does not.

Tornavia. The one that got the military issue. How did it get a military?
Funny Quotes
Request an Embassy

New Axiom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 am

Leppikania wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I have no idea which nation you are talking about at this point. Tornavia does spend some money on military. Leppikania does not.

Tornavia. The one that got the military issue. How did it get a military?

It must have been one of those "unforeseen effects" Max Barry mentions in the general help page. It might go away, just keep choosing all of the extremly non militaristic options to your issues.

My favorite user quotes:

Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:19 am

There are some issue options that increase government spending to all departments across the board, which therefore includes military, even if you didn't have any before. That might be it.

However, military spending (and other government departments) can go "negative", in which case you need to spend quite some time boosting it back to positive before it starts counting, and I would really expect this to have been the case in such a determinedly-pacifist nation. So I'm not sure.

Vortyd
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Vortyd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:35 am

Typo in issue #449, option 3.
"There's always room for compromise," chimes in Bill Hendrikson, one of your top aides famous for diffusing tension in your office.

Should be "defusing".

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 am

Vortyd wrote:Typo in issue #449, option 3.
"There's always room for compromise," chimes in Bill Hendrikson, one of your top aides famous for diffusing tension in your office.

Should be "defusing".

"Diffusing" is a word. It means "spreading out", like the opposite of "concentrating".
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Vortyd
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Vortyd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Phydios wrote:"Diffusing" is a word. It means "spreading out", like the opposite of "concentrating".

So the top aide is spreading tension "in the office"? Not a very good compromiser, I say.
"Famous for diffusing tension" would've made sense. When it's inside my office (an enclosed space, no less - definitely not a case of "dispersing" tension), less so.
Last edited by Vortyd on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Vortyd wrote:
Phydios wrote:"Diffusing" is a word. It means "spreading out", like the opposite of "concentrating".

So the top aide is spreading tension "in the office"? Not a very good compromiser, I say.
"Famous for diffusing tension" would've made sense. When it's inside my office (an enclosed space, no less - definitely not a case of "dispersing" tension), less so.

I'm not arguing the point. I'm just telling you that "diffusing" is a word. Maybe not the word the Issue Editors think is best to use, but still a word.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

New Axiom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:09 pm

You should all add more chain events like Brazilistan, I've already had that chain twice.

My favorite user quotes:

Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:11 pm

New Axiom wrote:You should all add more chain events like Brazilistan,
You should help us write them.

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 pm

New Axiom wrote:You should all add more chain events like Brazilistan, I've already had that chain twice.

Currently in development.
Funny Quotes
Request an Embassy

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #450

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:47 pm

Not sure if I've reported this one before.
a Aibohphobian native vacationing

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:53 am

Aibohphobia wrote:Not sure if I've reported this one before.
a Aibohphobian native vacationing

Fixed.

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:56 pm

From my puppets:

Option 345.2:
scoffs Rancho Relaxo City's controversial mayor
Should be @@CAPITAL@@ here.

Option 484.2:
Nothing says ...and Boo is in the call! like the display
The @@SLOGAN@@ here should be in quotes.
Funny Quotes
Request an Embassy

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Issue #307

Postby Aibohphobia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:38 pm

We need to outlaw this underhanded 'reporting'

This should be "underhand", not "underhanded", I believe.
upd: both words seem to be used in the sense "something secret, hidden, etc.", but "underhanded" could also mean "not full; small in size; explained below".
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Aibohphobia wrote:
We need to outlaw this underhanded 'reporting'

This should be "underhand", not "underhanded", I believe.

Underhanded is correct.

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aibohphobia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:41 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Aibohphobia wrote:This should be "underhand", not "underhanded", I believe.

Underhanded is correct.

Correct but ambiguous.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:44 pm

Aibohphobia wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Underhanded is correct.

Correct but ambiguous.

How?

'Underhanded reporting' is pretty straightforward.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:11 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Aibohphobia wrote:Correct but ambiguous.

How?

'Underhanded reporting' is pretty straightforward.

Agreed with Luna. Underhanded reporting is not ambiguous.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Issue #485, Option 1
The words "year round" should be hyphenated.

Issue #485, Option 2
"Better games that those" should say "better games than those."

Issue #486, Option 1
The words "five year" should also be hyphenated.

Issue #488, Description
The words "12 year old" should also be hyphenated.

Issue #488, Description
The 5 should be spelled out as five.

Issue #488, Option 1
The words "natural born" are usually hyphenated in the twenty-first century although they were unhyphenated in the past.

Issue #488, Option 2
The words "the CEO of Big Toys Inc." should be set off by commas.

Luna Amore wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Issue #481

Option 3: I think "economy student" should be changed to "economics student" or "political economy student."

Option 5: This sentence doesn't make any sense to me: "I'm responsible for hundreds of peoples life's [people's lives?] every day, from Down Town [downtown?] @@CAPITAL@@ up across a 110th street [up to 110th Street?]."

Fixed.

For the issues spoilers thread, how exactly were these options changed?
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?