NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:53 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Sucrati wrote:Issue Number 478: "The show must go on"

Option number two has handle as 'Handel'
That's intentional.

Oh, I didn't realize it was a play on words, my mistake :(
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Aculea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:08 pm

#479 Leader, Put On The Yellow Light

Option 2: The only thing this petitioner is asking for is for you to use some common sense. On Nation States.
"I think all this nonsense is nothing more than these taxi drivers being afraid of a little competition," comments Fubar driver Efthamia Summers, while checking their phone for nearby rides. "People are sick of taxis; they have to wave their hands up and down like lunatics in order to get one, or spend three hours on call waiting, and we all know taxi drivers always look for ways to cheat you. With Fubar, a friendly driver is always available fairly quickly and all you need is a phone app. I implore you to use some common sense. Fubar is safe, convenient, and the way of the future!"

Even in the context of his glowing recommendation for Fubar I have no idea what he's recommending here because the setup doesn't create any proposal to be for or against:
While heading to your office in @@CAPITAL@@, you suddenly find yourself caught in a massive rally staged by angry taxi drivers protesting Fubar, a popular ridesharing service. As the demonstration blocks off all nearby streets, you are forced to hear the drivers' respective demands.

Putting the two together, I have to conclude that this is the first and only petitioner in Nation States to demand unconditional common sense. I'm compelled to take it. o.0
Last edited by Aculea on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:00 pm

I really have no idea what you're complaining needs to be fixed.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Aculea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:23 pm

Sanctaria wrote:I really have no idea what you're complaining needs to be fixed.

That's because I didn't make a request, which is exactly what I'm complaining about, so it's filled with irony.

Right now the second option does not make a concrete proposal that a government can act upon, unless you count "use common sense". Something as simple as "Let Fubar stay!" at the end of the petitioner's spiel would transform it from a cavalcade of cheerleading to an actual petition. Unless, of course, what you really need at the end is "Subsidize Fubar!" Or maybe "Ban taxis!" He doesn't say. He just wants common sense, which is a mythical substance in Nation States.

Because the opening part does not make a proposal that one can be for or against, I can't even use the second option's enthusiasm for Fubar to infer what the petitioner wants. Yes, obviously they support Fubar, and that's nice, but given that every other option in the game is written as a Faustian labyrinth of misdirection, I hope you can see why asking the player to sign a blank check just because they like Fubar might be a bit more intimidating than the author wanted.
Last edited by Aculea on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rancho Relaxo
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rancho Relaxo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:07 pm

I don't know why it's doing it now, but this issue is displaying incorrectly, with option 1 being part of the description:
The Issue

Thousands of business men and women have taken to the streets in protest of their working conditions and pay. "It's not fair that we can't have a union," says Calvin Zhu, VP of Sales at SlothCorp. "Just because we make six figures doesn't mean we don't deserve overtime too! It's high time that the lower classes come to appreciate our hard efforts."

The Debate

Stefanie Barnes, secretary of commerce, recommends you ignore these commies. "Free enterprise means not having to succumb to unions, and the world has enough unions already."

Accept

Bruce Licorish, secretary of labor, advises you to adjust laws to allow white-collar unions. "It only makes sense that all of the workers in our nation have an equal opportunity to benefit from the advantages of collective bargaining."

Accept

"Get these people out of the street!" advises Georgina Frederickson, local police chief. "They're blocking traffic, and making it impossible for the common man to drive to the megamall!"

Accept

Finally, Right Reverend Jennifer Han proclaims, "The downtrodden are suffering at the hands of the MAN, and these wealthy upper shelf vice presidents are asking to make the rich richer and the poor poorer! The only reason the common worker needs a union is to be able to fight against the oppression of these slave drivers! It's ludicrous that these greedy scrooges are asking for even MORE money! Send them packing and raise taxes on the wealthy to bring more equality to our nation!"

Accept

The Government Position

The government has yet to formalize a position on this issue.

Dismiss This Issue

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:11 pm

That's how that one's been written for a while. It is atypical in format, I'll grant you that.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Option 2 is the one that's agreeing with the speaker in the description.

It's atypical, but there's no reason why the description can't include an argument for someone's position, especially if that advocate is what sparked the debate in the first place and the other positions are reactionaries.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Issue #432, Option 1: Before "Moral Minority," I think the word "the" should be added.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:21 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Issue #432, Option 1: Before "Moral Minority," I think the word "the" should be added.

Moral Minority is the name of the group, and not all groups have 'the' prefixing them. I'm happy to leave it as is.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:30 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Issue #432, Option 1: Before "Moral Minority," I think the word "the" should be added.

Moral Minority is the name of the group, and not all groups have 'the' prefixing them. I'm happy to leave it as is.

It's obviously a reference to the Moral Majority, so I thought it'd be a good idea to add a "the."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

New Leppikania
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Leppikania » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:26 am

#458: is it supposed to say "Handel"? And why is it caps? Forgive me if I'm missing a joke...
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Fantastic. All aboard the WA money waste machine.
Blech, Money Tree Acres, Those Dang Commies, All the Blue Shells, Scout Airlines, Aloomenaty, New Leppikanian Envoy, and Every Nation Ever. Plus one that nobody will ever guess. Hints: preceded New Leppikania, does NOT currently exist, only active for a couple days, name started with OX.
Random GA rules quiz that I set up
I can campaign for a reasonable proposal at the low, low price of a polite telegram!

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am

New Leppikania wrote:#458: is it supposed to say "Handel"? And why is it caps? Forgive me if I'm missing a joke...

The answer was quoted on this page.

Sucrati wrote:

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

New Leppikania
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Leppikania » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
New Leppikania wrote:#458: is it supposed to say "Handel"? And why is it caps? Forgive me if I'm missing a joke...

The answer was quoted on this page.

Sucrati wrote:

Okay. Thanks.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Fantastic. All aboard the WA money waste machine.
Blech, Money Tree Acres, Those Dang Commies, All the Blue Shells, Scout Airlines, Aloomenaty, New Leppikanian Envoy, and Every Nation Ever. Plus one that nobody will ever guess. Hints: preceded New Leppikania, does NOT currently exist, only active for a couple days, name started with OX.
Random GA rules quiz that I set up
I can campaign for a reasonable proposal at the low, low price of a polite telegram!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:25 am

In my opinion, the name of Issue #92 should be changed from "@@NAME@@ Officials Needled About Mandatory Vaccinations" to "@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Officials Needled About Mandatory Vaccinations."

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #363

Postby Aibohphobia » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:47 am

My leader's name causes problems:
All hail the glorious the Dark Inquisitor

All hail our glorious the Dark Inquisitor

Or am I myself to blame for this? The article seems to have always been fitting in nicely with every other issue I recall.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:26 am

Aibohphobia wrote:My leader's name causes problems:
All hail the glorious the Dark Inquisitor

All hail our glorious the Dark Inquisitor

Or am I myself to blame for this? The article seems to have always been fitting in nicely with every other issue I recall.

It's nothing we can fix.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Issue #481

Option 3: I think "economy student" should be changed to "economics student" or "political economy student."

Option 5: This sentence doesn't make any sense to me: "I'm responsible for hundreds of peoples life's [people's lives?] every day, from Down Town [downtown?] @@CAPITAL@@ up across a 110th street [up to 110th Street?]."

Issue #483

In option 2, I would change the mascot name from "Ronald" to "Donald" for two reasons. First, Ronald is the name of the real-world company mascot. Second, some Donalds, perhaps, should be deep-fried.

:p

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Issue #481

Option 3: I think "economy student" should be changed to "economics student" or "political economy student."

Option 5: This sentence doesn't make any sense to me: "I'm responsible for hundreds of peoples life's [people's lives?] every day, from Down Town [downtown?] @@CAPITAL@@ up across a 110th street [up to 110th Street?]."

Fixed.

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Isssue #484

Postby Lamebrainia » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 pm

argues your military aide-de-camp, General @@SOMENAME@@ while flexing her muscles

Commas should either surround the general ("aide-de-camp, General @@SOMENAME@@, while") or not be there at all, as far as I know.

Emojis
Civilian

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Emojis » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Civil rights leader Jamil [I can't use emojis on the forum] came out publicly for moderate pro-cannibalism legislation, commenting, "While it may strike some as a crude, even evil practice, our ancestors have practiced cannibalism for years. If we create a government organization to strictly regulate and grade all human meat prior to its arrival on the market, we can ensure that respect for diversity is maintained while health concerns are also allayed. And instead of killing average people, why not make being turned into snack foods a post-mortem option? Like donating your body to science!"

Not sure if the @@SLOGAN@@ macro is applicable here.

Tornavia
Civilian

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tornavia » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:20 pm

I got issue #157: sergeants are too nasty, say new recruits when I dont even have a military.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Emojis wrote:
Civil rights leader Jamil [I can't use emojis on the forum] came out publicly for moderate pro-cannibalism legislation, commenting, "While it may strike some as a crude, even evil practice, our ancestors have practiced cannibalism for years. If we create a government organization to strictly regulate and grade all human meat prior to its arrival on the market, we can ensure that respect for diversity is maintained while health concerns are also allayed. And instead of killing average people, why not make being turned into snack foods a post-mortem option? Like donating your body to science!"

Not sure if the @@SLOGAN@@ macro is applicable here.

There is no slogan macro there. @@RANDOMNAME@@ pulls from your customizable fields, so if your fields are all filled with emojis, they'll sometimes sneak into names.
Tornavia wrote:I got issue #157: sergeants are too nasty, say new recruits when I dont even have a military.

You don't have much of one, but you do have one.

North Americorp
Secretary

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby North Americorp » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:02 am

Issue #477:
The latest episode of celebrity chef Ramsey Oliver's massively popular television show "Lunch Box Revolution" has exposed the unhealthy junk food served in elementary and high schools, putting your government under pressure to act on childhood obesity.

Option one forces schools to serve healthy food, option two institutes mandatory health food plan for all citizens, and the third forces everyone to exercise.

There's no option for any nation that values civil freedoms, nor is there an option to line up and execute the health food fanatics (which is what this nation would choose). All options are anti-obesity.

That's the most one-sided issue I've seen so far, but a lot of recent issues have had similar problem. Too many. The game isn't much fun to play if you have to dismiss most issues because of lack of actual choices.
Last edited by North Americorp on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:57 am

Do you have any other examples of recent issues that you felt were one-sided? That kind of feedback can be useful to us.

Dunraven
Secretary

Founded: Jun 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dunraven » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Digital Revolution Requires Re-evaluation, issue #303:
Advances in the state of the art of television recording devices have brought the topic of sex and violence on late night television back to the table. Interested parties want to share their concerns.

Perhaps that issue should be restricted to nations of sufficient Scientific Advancement? If I remember right, this nation has already chosen to eschew all technology. So it's kind of odd that we'd still have televisions.
Last edited by Dunraven on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?