NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 am

In Issue #314, the 4th option (i.e. marriage ban) is implemented — and Civil Rights increase by +5. Is this correct?

P.S. Nation affected is Saturday Knight Live (for which there's another effects-code check outstanding).

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:09 am

Drachmaland wrote:In Issue #314, the 4th option (i.e. marriage ban) is implemented — and Civil Rights increase by +5. Is this correct?

There are a few instances where choosing this option will increase Civil Rights. Looking at that nation, that seems about right.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:12 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Drachmaland wrote:In Issue #314, the 4th option (i.e. marriage ban) is implemented — and Civil Rights increase by +5. Is this correct?

There are a few instances where choosing this option will increase Civil Rights. Looking at that nation, that seems about right.

Notwithstanding that I cannot seem to be able to visualize such instances myself :blush: I'll take your word for it, Sanctaria. :) Thanks for looking into this!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:45 am

Perhaps if divorce or adultery were previously illegal?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:55 am

Perhaps if state-organised marriages were previously mandatory?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:23 am

Trotterdam wrote:Perhaps if divorce or adultery were previously illegal?

Bears Armed wrote:Perhaps if state-organised marriages were previously mandatory?

Thanks for the brainstorming, guys! This nation had indeed made adultery illegal via option 175.1. And state-organized marriages were in fact mandatory, via option 165.3.
Also, I found that in some of its stat-snapshots it had "zero percent divorce rate" in the <NOTABLE> field afterwards (because of implementation of 165.3, so actually divorce wasn't expressly outlawed).

Anyhow, this case also includes a specific value (namely a +5 increase in Civil Rights), which can only imply that the people who want not to get married in a pre-arranged way or to commit adultery are way much more significant in numbers compared to the people wishing to just get married, no?
State-arranged marriage forbids you to marry your loved one, but so does the marriage ban, as well. So how can your Civil Rights increase so much as a result of this?
Am I missing something? Could it be e.g. the fact the new legislation does not expressly outlaw living with any person you may love?

Aculea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Drachmaland wrote:Anyhow, this case also includes a specific value (namely a +5 increase in Civil Rights), which can only imply that the people who want not to get married in a pre-arranged way or to commit adultery are way much more significant in numbers compared to the people wishing to just get married, no?

The census description doesn't define it as measuring anything, it just puts it in correlation with certain warm fuzzies. I've always imagined it as something you might be able to generate from a close reading of the nation's legal code, and therefore independent of things like demographics. So, no. A +5 in Civil Rights can imply things other than one population being more significant in numbers than another.

I'm not even fond of the idea. Civil rights are not things that become less important simply because there are fewer people who need theirs protected. The opposite, really. It is a nation that protects its tiniest minorities as ably as its greatest majority that deserves the higher civil rights score.
Last edited by Aculea on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #459

Postby Aibohphobia » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:37 am

May I suggest reclassifying this issue as an Easter Egg? Seems a bit strange getting it more than once. It's also more of a fun plot with almost unexpected results, similar to the one
where you choose your favourite colour.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:38 am

Aibohphobia wrote:May I suggest reclassifying this issue as an Easter Egg? Seems a bit strange getting it more than once. It's also more of a fun plot with almost unexpected results, similar to the one
where you choose your favourite colour.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we're not going to do that.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #478

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:06 am

I insist that we establish a Aibohphobian Arts Council

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:25 am

Fixed.

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:18 am

I have issue #082 AI Researchers Rally For Android Rights in my box right now. If I choose option 3 to ban AI, is it going to be affected by my previously choosing in #472: Rise Of The Machines to let AIs run my economy? You don't actually have to answer that, just throwing it out there in case it wasn't considered.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:29 am

Aculea wrote:I have issue #082 AI Researchers Rally For Android Rights in my box right now. If I choose option 3 to ban AI, is it going to be affected by my previously choosing in #472: Rise Of The Machines to let AIs run my economy? You don't actually have to answer that, just throwing it out there in case it wasn't considered.

It will now. >_>

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 am

Luna Amore wrote:It will now. >_>

PS I love your flag of the moment.

Celseon
Envoy

Founded: Aug 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celseon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Issue 467: "Saving Your Own Foreskin"

Option 1

"This is sick and wrong!" vents trilby-clad protester George W. Han, flinging a copy of a news article strategically between you and your meal. "How can people think that mutilating diaper parts is okay? Religions and cults be damned. As you can read in this editorial, the paper's resident doctor proves beyond doubt that non-necessary circumcision has a host of negative effects. It doesn't matter that they're a doctor of journalism and not urology; it's basically the same thing. Bar emergency medical reasons, you must make circumcision illegal in all circumstances."

"Bar" indicated in red text should be "Barring", shouldn't it?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Celseon wrote:Issue 467: "Saving Your Own Foreskin"

Option 1

"This is sick and wrong!" vents trilby-clad protester George W. Han, flinging a copy of a news article strategically between you and your meal. "How can people think that mutilating diaper parts is okay? Religions and cults be damned. As you can read in this editorial, the paper's resident doctor proves beyond doubt that non-necessary circumcision has a host of negative effects. It doesn't matter that they're a doctor of journalism and not urology; it's basically the same thing. Bar emergency medical reasons, you must make circumcision illegal in all circumstances."

"Bar" indicated in red text should be "Barring", shouldn't it?

Bar also works.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 am

Couldn't find a thread for reporting this, but this is the best one I could find. Unless this should be reported in Technical in the future?

I received Issue #218, despite not having homosexuality or homosexual marriage legal in my nation. Is this a bug, or did I somehow unintentionally make homosexual marriage legal?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 am

Couples can live together even if they're not formally recognized as married.

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:12 pm

#037: Traffic Cops Needed on Information Superhighway? is about governmental monitoring of citizens. The first petitioner mentions finding anti-governmental idiots, the third petitioner mentions tyranny. Censoring the internet gives the country has unplugged its internet connection to prevent subversive content, emphasis on preventing subversive content, and the third option, freeing the internet, gives anti-government web sites are springing up, that is, an allowed dissent with the government. All of these scream political freedom to me, and the first two options do decrease political freedom, but after three attempts, the third option, which gives voice to dissent, affects only civil rights. Is this intentional?

Two: #217 Healthcare Services Underfunded, Claim Patients

Option 3: We'd have national surveys to make sure no one cheats which would be expensive - but fair.

Punctuation between cheats and which would be expensive - but fair.
Last edited by Aculea on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:15 pm

The issue "quickie Marriages Under Scrutiny" has a typo; "license" is spelled wrong. The issue spells it as "licence".
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:26 pm

United States of Natan wrote:The issue "quickie Marriages Under Scrutiny" has a typo; "license" is spelled wrong. The issue spells it as "licence".

It's a British/American difference.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:35 pm

As two players have pointed out in the spoilers thread, Issue #480, Option 2 should say "whom" instead of "who."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:As two players have pointed out in the spoilers thread, Issue #480, Option 2 should say "whom" instead of "who."

Fixed.

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Issue Number 478: "The show must go on"

Option number two has handle as 'Handel'
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Sucrati wrote:Issue Number 478: "The show must go on"

Option number two has handle as 'Handel'
That's intentional.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?