NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:
ISSUE 445, OPTION 2

2."That's bloody ridiculous!" puffs red-faced protester, Josh Longfellow, blowing spittle all over their supercilious counterpart. "They're trying to paint all of this as something that any reasonable person would do - but it just isn't! I don't know every inch of the tax code, and it's not like I can get all these smug big-shots to hang around the flat and tell me how to 'structure my assets', or some other rubbish. They knew what they did was against the spirit of the law, if nothing else - take them for all they've got. It's only fair."

The use of the word "their" in the first sentence is a typo. I realize that the writer put in that word instead of "his" or "hers," because he did not want the pronoun to conflict with the random name, but that does not make "their" a singular word. I would suggest changing the word "their" to a singular pronoun, like "his" or "hers," even though there is the risk of the random name coming up with a name from the opposite gender. At least it would be grammatically correct.

Changed it to a male randomname and his.

That's not "a typo." The singular their is recommended by the Chicago Manuel of Style and has been for over a decade. Some readers might not like it, but it's still grammatically correct.

Issue writers shouldn't have to worry that you're going to change all their people to men unless they specify it's a woman.
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:30 pm

Kesshite wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Changed it to a male randomname and his.

That's not "a typo." The singular their is recommended by the Chicago Manuel of Style and has been for over a decade. Some readers might not like it, but it's still grammatically correct.

Issue writers shouldn't have to worry that you're going to change all their people to men unless they specify it's a woman.

I flip a coin to determine sex. I doubt anyone is too worked up over it.

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Aibohphobia wrote:There should be a comma

There could be a comma in both those spaces, but I believe the rules of grammar allow it either way. I think the current expression is clearer, and the commas are not needed.

[Original long angry post backspaced and forgotten]
So this is what English will be like in a hundred years of grammatical degradation.

Aculea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:40 am

Option 2 of #049: Diving For @@CURRENCY@@s (what to do with a gold find) claims that the gold find in question is on government property

2. @@RANDOMNAME@@, a civil rights activist, vehemently disagrees. "The deposit was found by private citizens and it should be their choice of what to do with the gold. If the government goes around stealing what is rightfully ours, then I shudder to think I live in such a corrupt country. These people discovered the gold, it's now their time to get rich! Nevermind the fact they were diving in a lake on government property!"

All three responses imply your decision affects private property
Following new legislation in Nation, citizens are regularly found digging for treasure in their gardens
The government seizes all major gold finds
The mining industry has taken a hit from tighter environmental regulations

If you removed the comment about government property, the issue would contain one less counterfactual claim by a character whose interests are harmed if the deception is believed. It makes the issue more believable as fiction.

Traemont
Secretary

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Traemont » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Might be better to change the responses. It's not much of a dilemma if the issue is whether people can keep what's found on their own property.

Edit: really the only one that might need to be changed is the first, changing "in their gardens" to "on public beaches" or something like that.
Last edited by Traemont on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:47 am

Traemont wrote:It's not much of a dilemma if the issue is whether people can keep what's found on their own property

I disagree. A large number of players roleplay oppressive dictatorships or well intentioned command economies. I think it hurts the game to burden allegedly mainstream decisions with gotcha factors designed to guilt trip players for wanting a real world solution, when at the same time other playing styles are given free stats simply because other people don't see value in their choices.

If this issue needs fixing beyond removing the betrayal of reader expectations, dress up the first choice to make it more appealing to the dictators and economic planners I mentioned. Put in a throwaway about a finder's fee, with more or less worth as necessary, and change the rhetoric from enriching the government to mistrusting how the citizen would spend the money.
Last edited by Aculea on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

DEATH PENALTY ON DEATH ROW

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Jessica Neumann, the Chief Deputy Assistant Police Commissioner states, swirling a pair of handcuffs on one finger. "We don't go around executing innocent people for the fun of it; accidents happen! So those hippy people should quit their boo-hooin'. Look, if we give our boys in blue some more cash maybe there'll be less room for mistakes. Everyone goes away happy."

No comma in between "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the @@RANDOMNAME@@
Last edited by Italios on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Italios wrote:DEATH PENALTY ON DEATH ROW

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Jessica Neumann, the Chief Deputy Assistant Police Commissioner states, swirling a pair of handcuffs on one finger. "We don't go around executing innocent people for the fun of it; accidents happen! So those hippy people should quit their boo-hooin'. Look, if we give our boys in blue some more cash maybe there'll be less room for mistakes. Everyone goes away happy."

Fixed. Please include the issue number next time.

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Italios wrote:DEATH PENALTY ON DEATH ROW

Fixed. Please include the issue number next time.

Sorry about that. I'll be sure to do it if I find another mistake.
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Wunderwald
Civilian

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderwald » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:48 am

032 One Wife Is Never Enough, Say Polygamists does not check for 274:4 Brotherly Love - A Bit Too Close to Home?, which bans marriage. In between I received 440 Jumping The Sharknado and 201 Jolly Roger Sighted Off The Port Bow, so I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally lift the ban.

Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:23 am

I just received Issue #70 ("Purge The Infidels!"), and the first line of option 1 says, "We already have an official religion." However, Paffnia has no national religion. I think the issue validity is off. Also, "the" in the issue title should be lowercase.
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

Mewlandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue 348

Postby Mewlandia » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:56 am

Issue 348: I Want A Lawyer

Option 2 reads:

"If you can't afford a lawyer, it's your own fault", lectures blue-collar worker Gregory Jamieson on the evening news. "It's not my problem if they don't have the money or if they didn't go to law school. If you can't afford a lawyer, then don't break the law. Everything has consequences! Imagine the tax burden it would put on us hard-working individuals. Actually, instead of spending money on this ridiculous notion, I'd much prefer The Kitty to give us a tax break."

Given the context of the issue, I'm pretty sure that should read "white-collar worker" - manual labourers lecturing about law school and lots of money seems counter-intuitive.
I like working with deadly pathogens. I also get bored easily. That may or may not be warning.

Puppets: Blessed Elua (Original nation, '08-'09 - since revived to see where my actual opinions, rather than the desire to have the highest score in everything, take me)

Kringalia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kringalia » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:53 am

Issue 9: ""I agree that something needs to be done about Eagle over-population," says random passer-by Billy-Bob Pushkin, "but eating them? That's kind of gross. Let's just shoot the ones we have to and shovel their bodies into ditches like normal.""

Shouldn't there be something else at the end? "Normal people" for instance?
Chief Justice of the South Pacific
Delegate of the South Pacific (Apr - Dec 2014)

Interviewed Max Barry | Tuesday Couper | Commended by WASC #422

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:57 am

Kringalia wrote:Issue 9: ""I agree that something needs to be done about Eagle over-population," says random passer-by Billy-Bob Pushkin, "but eating them? That's kind of gross. Let's just shoot the ones we have to and shovel their bodies into ditches like normal.""

Shouldn't there be something else at the end? "Normal people" for instance?

No. "Like normal" is a standard and well-understood way of saying "as we normally do".
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Alpavik
Civilian

Founded: Jan 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Cloning Research Promises New Breakthrough

Postby Alpavik » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:48 am

I recently got the "Cloning Research Promises New Breakthrough" issue. In it, I found cloning being referred to as "barbaric." Barbaric implies that an act is uncivilized and primitive, while cloning is a rather high-tech thing, so barbaric isn't really the right word there. Perhaps "heretical" or something like that?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:42 am

Mewlandia wrote:Issue 348: I Want A Lawyer

Option 2 reads:

"If you can't afford a lawyer, it's your own fault", lectures blue-collar worker Gregory Jamieson on the evening news. "It's not my problem if they don't have the money or if they didn't go to law school. If you can't afford a lawyer, then don't break the law. Everything has consequences! Imagine the tax burden it would put on us hard-working individuals. Actually, instead of spending money on this ridiculous notion, I'd much prefer The Kitty to give us a tax break."

Given the context of the issue, I'm pretty sure that should read "white-collar worker" - manual labourers lecturing about law school and lots of money seems counter-intuitive.

He's lecturing about the increase in taxes that would hit him hardest as a blue-collar, and therefore less-well-paid, member of society.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Mewlandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mewlandia » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:09 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Mewlandia wrote:Issue 348: I Want A Lawyer

Option 2 reads:

He's lecturing about the increase in taxes that would hit him hardest as a blue-collar, and therefore less-well-paid, member of society.

Ah, fair enough. I assumed "hard-working individuals" and "give us a tax break" was a reference to the clichéd notion people have that white-collar workers always claim they work very hard and moan about taxes. It seemed like a more appropriate assumption to make, given the context of what was said, than to believe the worker actually had a "genuine" concern. But hey, perhaps I'm too cynical :roll:
I like working with deadly pathogens. I also get bored easily. That may or may not be warning.

Puppets: Blessed Elua (Original nation, '08-'09 - since revived to see where my actual opinions, rather than the desire to have the highest score in everything, take me)

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:04 am

I'm sorry, I know this is petty, but #300:1 Trafficked Tots Trouble, the decision to sterilize everyone gives: "vets have been drafted in to help "fix" those who fail the parental license exam." Every time I read this I think "veterans," because this is Nation States and they come up a lot. Can we change it to be veterinarians explicitly?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Aculea wrote:I'm sorry, I know this is petty, but #300:1 Trafficked Tots Trouble, the decision to sterilize everyone gives: "vets have been drafted in to help "fix" those who fail the parental license exam." Every time I read this I think "veterans," because this is Nation States and they come up a lot. Can we change it to be veterinarians explicitly?

I'm not a fan of that anyway, so I will look at rewriting it.

Bump this again in two weeks to either (a) remind me or (b) confirm that I've done it.

Thanks.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Issue #163: Referenda: Are they Right For @@NAME@@? has two choices that give you notability for "daily referendums." Referenda and referendums are both acceptable plurals, but it'd be better to prefer one or the other.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:53 am

Aculea wrote:Issue #163: Referenda: Are they Right For @@NAME@@? has two choices that give you notability for "daily referendums." Referenda and referendums are both acceptable plurals, but it'd be better to prefer one or the other.

Hi - I checked that issues and the plural referendums isn't anywhere in that issue. Could you be more specific?

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:01 am

Sanctaria wrote:Hi - I checked that issues and the plural referendums isn't anywhere in that issue. Could you be more specific?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure on the right term. I'm referring to the list of "notable" items that show up on the front page. My nation is notable for its daily referendums, digital currency, and ubiquitous missile silos. At the same time, following new legislation in Aculea, referenda can be called for any law at the request of at least one third of the voting population. Until yesterday that legislation was on my front page three paragraphs down from the notable flag. Now it's just in my happenings.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:43 am

Aculea wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Hi - I checked that issues and the plural referendums isn't anywhere in that issue. Could you be more specific?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure on the right term. I'm referring to the list of "notable" items that show up on the front page. My nation is notable for its daily referendums, digital currency, and ubiquitous missile silos. At the same time, following new legislation in Aculea, referenda can be called for any law at the request of at least one third of the voting population. Until yesterday that legislation was on my front page three paragraphs down from the notable flag. Now it's just in my happenings.

Ah the notable fors have nothing to do with us editors.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Aculea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aculea » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Aculea wrote:

Ah the notable fors have nothing to do with us editors.

Could it be passed along? I understand there would be no promises after that.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:32 am

Aculea wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Ah the notable fors have nothing to do with us editors.

Could it be passed along? I understand there would be no promises after that.

Both are correct, and neither will always appear the same time on your page. Just accept it as part of NS' quirks.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?