NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:25 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:On Issue #417 (Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte), Option 1 should have quotation marks around "affair".

Why?
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:30 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:On Issue #417 (Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte), Option 1 should have quotation marks around "affair".

Why?

Context is:
Pay her. Pay the tabloids. Pay anyone who's ever heard the word "affair"!
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:32 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Why?

Context is:
Pay her. Pay the tabloids. Pay anyone who's ever heard the word "affair"!

Eh, not sold.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Innomina
Lobbyist

Founded: May 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Found a typo...

Postby Innomina » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:19 am

"extraordinary tribunals try accused financials criminals"

Just trying to help :)

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:24 am

This should probably be posted in this thread.
Also, it would probably help, if possible, if you could tell them which issue this typo came from. (Though as this appears to be a result, it would be understandable if you didn't know.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Innomina
Lobbyist

Founded: May 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Innomina » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:32 am

It's the jury expertise issue.

I think "12 Angry, Tired, And Increasingly Confused Men."

I'm not posting anywhere else, my laziness knows no bounds :P

Thanks though :)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:28 am

Fixed.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Nurkama
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nurkama » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Idzequitch wrote:This should probably be posted in this thread.
Also, it would probably help, if possible, if you could tell them which issue this typo came from. (Though as this appears to be a result, it would be understandable if you didn't know.

Um... we are in the thread you put in.
he/him

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #379

Postby Lamebrainia » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:10 am

but nor do we need to turn planes away

Either "but" is unnecessary (alongside the following "to") or "neither" should be used. As far as I know.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:34 am

Lamebrainia wrote:
but nor do we need to turn planes away

Either "but" is unnecessary (alongside the following "to") or "neither" should be used. As far as I know.

"But" is arguably unnecessary but it's also not incorrect. However, whichever word begins the sentence should be capitalised, now I look at it.

Nurkama
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nurkama » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:Context is:

Eh, not sold.

But Kaboomlandia is right, when you write the word "word" and put a word after it referring to a specific word, you have to put it in quotation marks to specify that it is a different concept than usual speech.

I bet you I explained that very badly.
he/him

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Nurkama wrote:I bet you I explained that very badly.
Err, yes.

But I do agree.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:32 pm

Sanctaria wrote:Eh, not sold.

Which of the below sentences is the correct way to tell someone how to refer to the thing that many humans and animals rest on?

"Use the word 'bed'."
"Use the word bed."

In the first sentence, you're saying to use a certain word, which you then give. That's the correct answer. In the second sentence, you're saying to use something called a "word bed". Because "bed" isn't set apart from the rest of the sentence, there's no indication to read it like that. So instead of "word" being the object of the sentence (what is being used), "bed" is, and "word" is an adjective that is applied to it. That is not the correct answer to the question I asked.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Nurkama
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nurkama » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Phydios wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Eh, not sold.

Which of the below sentences is the correct way to tell someone how to refer to the thing that many humans and animals rest on?

"Use the word 'bed'."
"Use the word bed."

In the first sentence, you're saying to use a certain word, which you then give. That's the correct answer. In the second sentence, you're saying to use something called a "word bed". Because "bed" isn't set apart from the rest of the sentence, there's no indication to read it like that. So instead of "word" being the object of the sentence (what is being used), "bed" is, and "word" is an adjective that is applied to it. That is not the correct answer to the question I asked.

You definitely explained that better.
he/him

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Nurkama wrote:You definitely explained that better.

Thanks.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #430

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:22 pm

Has an unrecognized unicode character in option 1: . Not sure if intended.
System specs: Win 8.1 Pro, Firefox 3.6.32 (yes, I am in(s)ane).

Terrallamus
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Terrallamus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 am

The issue "Gunman kills three" is HORRENDOUSLY one-sided. option one is to get rid of guns. option two is to get rid of guns, not only for citizens but also get rid of them in the army and police force. option three is to crack down on violent videogames and movies. There needs to be a middle ground. Here is my suggestion:

"Ummm... well," says noticably timid sensible gun control activist Tim Jeffries "Maybe we could, like, make it so that criminals, and, like, crazy people can't get guns- ARGH! LET GO OF MY THROAT!"

Effect:
nation desc. : criminals and the mentally damaged are frequently seen crying on the street because they can't own firearms.

Stats: Economy - goes up/down slightly due to increased/decreased gun industry sales.
Nothing.

Mewlandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mewlandia » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:47 am

Terrallamus wrote:The issue "Gunman kills three" is HORRENDOUSLY one-sided...

1) Old issue, they won't change it;
2) Most issues are one-sided or unfair anyway. If you don't like it, dismiss it! :)

Issue #415, what I believe was option 1, gives the following result:

"Following new legislation in Mewlandia, students athletes gaze forlornly at abandoned Kittenball fields."

I reckon that should read "student athletes"?
I like working with deadly pathogens. I also get bored easily. That may or may not be warning.

Puppets: Blessed Elua (Original nation, '08-'09 - since revived to see where my actual opinions, rather than the desire to have the highest score in everything, take me)

Nurkama
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nurkama » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:19 pm

Terrallamus wrote:The issue "Gunman kills three" is HORRENDOUSLY one-sided. option one is to get rid of guns. option two is to get rid of guns, not only for citizens but also get rid of them in the army and police force. option three is to crack down on violent videogames and movies. There needs to be a middle ground. Here is my suggestion:

"Ummm... well," says noticably timid sensible gun control activist Tim Jeffries "Maybe we could, like, make it so that criminals, and, like, crazy people can't get guns- ARGH! LET GO OF MY THROAT!"

Effect:
nation desc. : criminals and the mentally damaged are frequently seen crying on the street because they can't own firearms.

Stats: Economy - goes up/down slightly due to increased/decreased gun industry sales.

It was created by Max Barry, creator of the website. It's one of the original 30 issues in the game. Those ones are only changed in emergency. I would just recommend dismissing it.
he/him

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Aibohphobia wrote:Has an unrecognized unicode character in option 1: . Not sure if intended.

Where? I'm not seeing anything...

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Aibohphobia wrote:Has an unrecognized unicode character in option 1: . Not sure if intended.

Where? I'm not seeing anything...

It's the intro to option #1. The Unicode doesn't display in the issue text, but it shows up in the editing CP (I can't correct it, but I can see it). Additionally, the closing speech marks are curved, not straight, though that's a separate issue.
Last edited by Golgothastan on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Golgothastan wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Where? I'm not seeing anything...

It's the intro to option #1. The Unicode doesn't display in the issue text, but it shows up in the editing CP (I can't correct it, but I can see it). Additionally, the closing speech marks are curved, not straight, though that's a separate issue.

Fixed the close quote. I don't see any other error.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:05 pm

I can confirm that the "unrecognized Unicode character" is definitely in the version that Zurkerx posted, which may or may not be a copy-paste error rather than an error in the serverside issue. It's not actually UTF-8 proper, but rather a single byte with hex code 0F, defined by ASCII as "Shift In", and rarely used by anyone for anything. Whoever put it there, it's clearly not supposed to be there.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I can confirm that the "unrecognized Unicode character" is definitely in the version that Zurkerx posted, which may or may not be a copy-paste error rather than an error in the serverside issue. It's not actually UTF-8 proper, but rather a single byte with hex code 0F, defined by ASCII as "Shift In", and rarely used by anyone for anything. Whoever put it there, it's clearly not supposed to be there.

I feel like I'm missing something. This is what Zurkerx's post looks like to me: http://i.imgur.com/ZqE8P3s.png

I'm guessing it's tied to that smart quote I fixed, but that's just a guess.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?