NATION

PASSWORD

Controversial coup causes commotion

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Controversial coup causes commotion

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 am

The Issue
A coup in a neighbouring country has seen a mercenary force led by retired @@NAME@@ian general @@RANDOMNAME@@ take charge of the peaceful backwater, purging the opposition, and suppressing freedoms. Despite the new leader making a dubious promise to hold elections, the government in exile is demanding that @@NAME@@ takes action.

The Debate
1. "THIS IS A DISGRACE", bellows Brigadier General @@RANDOMNAME@@, scattering plastic soldiers over the floor. "This traitor must be overthrown! Gather together our forces and sweep the tyrant from power. While we're at it, @@NAME@@ could do with some more tanks - you never know when the next coup might be."

2. @@RANDOMNAME@@, a junior official, puts down "Diplomacy for Dummies" and pipes up. "The best method of solving problems is talking. Send the new regime a strongly worded letter of protest and encourage them to negotiate. On a similar note, perhaps you could take your spouse out for a meal tonight. You've been spending far too much time sorting out this nation's issues lately."

3. Noted realist and tabloid columnist @@RANDOMNAME@@ disagrees. "We should give this new regime a chance. After all, they now control a sizeable economy, and they need weapons - we could offer to recognise the new government if they agreed to buy arms from us. Also, I couldn't help but notice some protesters outside your office. We wouldn't want a coup happening here - everyone would feel safer it they were moved on."

4. "I don't see what the problem is", a voice strangely like your own whispers in your ear. Your twin, standing far too close for comfort, continues, "this has given me a great idea - why not just declare yourself supreme leader of @@NAME@@? After all, the people do love you so very much".

I didn't even notice this when I got the issue (or maybe I did but I didn't understand it because the sentence is so poorly constructed).

Why exactly are there two choices in one issue option? And what does suppressing protests have to do with international arms sales, anyway? If you needed to attach suppressed protests to an option, wouldn't #4 make far more sense?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Bumping this, since apparently no one has a good answer for this: why does option #3 contain that peculiar and unrelated suggestion to beat up protesters (when it has nothing to do with bribing foreign nations with arms sales), and is there any prospect to change it?

I love the first part of #3, and would love to pick it, except for that bizarre turn toward authoritarianism at the end there. :unsure:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:59 pm

This was modelled after events in the South Pacific. That bit at the end likely is referring to banjecting dissenters.

Unlikely to be removed/edited.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Really? Is it common to start banjecting people when there's a coup in another region? ;)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 pm

In NS GCR's? Wouldn't put it past them.

You got your answer.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Sanctaria wrote:You got your answer.

This is not Moderation. Further discussion is allowed, isn't it?

And with all due respect, I didn't get a complete answer. Suppressing protests has nothing whatsoever to do with cozying up to a new regime with arms sales. Why isn't the protests thing included in another option - like #4, in which it would be much more pertinent?

Zelan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zelan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Sanctaria wrote:This was modelled after events in the South Pacific. That bit at the end likely is referring to banjecting dissenters.

Unlikely to be removed/edited.

BTW what happened in the South Pacific? I've seen people discussing it and mention it, but all I know is that there was a coup. But anyway, what happened exactly?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Given the date this was written, it was probably referencing the Devonitians coup of TSP in 2011. I think it lasted 12 hours. The author of this issue was the person behind it.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:20 pm

I suppose it wasn't attached to the last option because option 4 goes much further than a little political censorship.

While it is an unusual add on, it does still make sense. A government willing to approve of another country's military coup if they buy weapons from them probably isn't the most honest government. It isn't much of a stretch to think that type of government would want to tighten down on its own people to keep things under control.

I also notice that each option leads into the next nicer that way. It goes:
1: Military campaign against new regime.
2: Diplomacy with new regime.
3: Diplomacy through arms and a little more control at home.
4: Total control at home.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 pm

That at least makes sense. Totally ruins the issue for me, and I'll probably be dismissing it from now on, but I can accept that.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:32 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:You got your answer.

This is not Moderation. Further discussion is allowed, isn't it?

You asked if it was going to be changed, and I said no, that wasn't on the cards. That answer hasn't changed, regardless of the further discussion.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?