NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT} Cognitive enhancers and nootropics need funding

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jentopia-1
Secretary

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT} Cognitive enhancers and nootropics need funding

Postby Jentopia-1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:21 am

Scientists and chemists of @@NAME@@ need funding into cognitive enhancers to make them available to the public. This new smart pill technology promises to permanently enhance cognition, increase motivation, and boost productivity.
[validity]:all
[option]
"Yes! Make them available," says transhumanist @@RANDOMNAME@@, "We believe these drugs are safe and should be allowed the freedom to enhance and upgrade ourselves however we want. You can also fund nootropics research. Sure, some people can only afford a few nootropics, but tough luck.
[effect]
The smart drugs are available legally in pharmacies and smart shops.
[option]
"Wait a minute", says futurist equal rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Does this mean the rich would have yet another advantage over the poor? I propose that the government create a nootropics card with money that can be spent on nootropics that people can apply to in addition to the nootropics that can be bought with regular @@CURRENCY@@ so that everyone willing to take them can benefit from them, rich or not! That way everyone can become smarter and more motivated. Of course, there's the matter of tax - but what's a few @@CURRENCY@@ compared to an intelligent, creative, and more productive society?
[effect]
People of all economic levels can get cognitive enhancers and nootropics.
[option]
"Hold on a minute," says concerned health advisor @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Some cognitive enhancers are dangerous. They might become addictive if overused. People sometimes do crazy things and don't always make good decisions. I say schedule cognitive enhancers so that only people with learning disabilities with a prescription can get them. After all, It's better to be safe than sorry.
[effect]
Pharmacy raids for cognitive enhancers are common and a health advisor disappears suspiciously.
[option]
"Woah woah woah!" Says futurist hippie Ph. D chemist @@RANDOMNAME@@ "There shouldn't be any restrictions on exploring cognition, consciousness, or e psychedelic experience. Prohibition doesn't solve anything. Psychedelics and nootropics are both sides of the same coin. They both teach you things. Some psychedelics have nootropic effects at lower doses, though with mixed results. Legalize and subsidise all drugs. People should be free to try whatever they want. You just gotta relax."
[effect]
Both raves and colleges are packed while psychedelic and cartoon shirt sales and doctor hoo ratings are through the roof.
[option]
"I can't believe you're even considering this!" says body purist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "If we ingest cognitive enhancing drugs, it would be like taking a bunch of lab chemicals and drinking them. We shouldn't interfere with the body like this. Ban these nootropics and cognitive enhancers."
[effect]
People break out in riots and protests for months on end.
Last edited by Jentopia-1 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:02 am, edited 12 times in total.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:03 am

This is an interesting topic, but you need to read the How To Write An Issue guide: such a poorly formatted submission is totally unviable.

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:42 pm

It is an interesting topic. I'd encourage you to continue working on it.

Let's think of ways people could approach this issue...

1) Transhumanists would like access to the drug. They believe that the drugs are safe and that they should be able to enhance themselves as they desire.

1a) Instead of a transhumanist wanting it for themselves, it could be a shareholder, and campaign supporter, from a major pharmaceutical company.

2) Someone who worries about the affect on society. Does this mean that people with more money will have yet another edge over the disadvantaged? If nootropics are available, the government should make them available for everyone.

3) Someone who believes this drug should be a controlled substance. Powerful, brain-altering pharmaceuticals obviously shouldn't be OTC, but only available through a prescription for people suffering from mental disabilities. It's a medicine, not a recreational or competitive drug.

4) A body purist who believes that claims of the drug's safety are suspect and they should be banned. They read on a website that unless these drugs are taken regularly, the user goes into withdrawal and becomes stupider. Also, if nootropics are available, then every - from college students to office workers to doctors - will feel pressured to take them, just to stay competitive.

5) A government official who believes the drugs are just the beginning. They should only be made available to the military and service agents while diverting funds to "unlocking the true potential of the mind."
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Jentopia-1
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Jentopia-1 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:07 am

Kesshite wrote:It is an interesting topic. I'd encourage you to continue working on it.

Let's think of ways people could approach this issue...

1) Transhumanists would like access to the drug. They believe that the drugs are safe and that they should be able to enhance themselves as they desire.

1a) Instead of a transhumanist wanting it for themselves, it could be a shareholder, and campaign supporter, from a major pharmaceutical company.

2) Someone who worries about the affect on society. Does this mean that people with more money will have yet another edge over the disadvantaged? If nootropics are available, the government should make them available for everyone.

3) Someone who believes this drug should be a controlled substance. Powerful, brain-altering pharmaceuticals obviously shouldn't be OTC, but only available through a prescription for people suffering from mental disabilities. It's a medicine, not a recreational or competitive drug.

4) A body purist who believes that claims of the drug's safety are suspect and they should be banned. They read on a website that unless these drugs are taken regularly, the user goes into withdrawal and becomes stupider. Also, if nootropics are available, then every - from college students to office workers to doctors - will feel pressured to take them, just to stay competitive.

5) A government official who believes the drugs are just the beginning. They should only be made available to the military and service agents while diverting funds to "unlocking the true potential of the mind."

Do I edit the issue on top or make a new post for it?

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun May 10, 2015 3:21 am

Just edit the first post.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun May 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Other suggestions:
Put the [option] and [effect] indicators next to the start of the blurb.
You don't seem to need stats.
Your [effect] blurb should only ever be one sentence, and usually be kind of funny.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Sun May 10, 2015 7:30 pm

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but this issue has what, like, 8 options and I don't remember the last time an issue that large got considered. I think that it might be a little long, but I could totally be wrong.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon May 11, 2015 6:16 am

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but this issue has what, like, 8 options and I don't remember the last time an issue that large got considered. I think that it might be a little long, but I could totally be wrong.

It might have been the "favourite colour" easter egg.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:It might have been the "favourite colour" easter egg.
That is currently the only issue in the game with more than 6 options.

Here's the breakdown of the issues currently in the game (#000 through #425):

0 options: 1
1 option: 1
2 options: 59
3 options: 215
4 options: 113
5 options: 27
6 options: 9
12 options: 1

Not counting easter eggs and the not-available-to-the-public Pony Peril issue, this becomes:
1 option: 1
2 options: 58
3 options: 213
4 options: 111
5 options: 25
6 options: 8

I am assuming that #411 has four options instead of the currently-known three, here.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Mon May 11, 2015 1:41 pm

3-4 would probably be the limit for this sort of issue. Legalise them, ban them, legalise but regulate, token crazy option. That should be plenty of choice.

Jentopia-1
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Jentopia-1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:05 am

Golgothastan wrote:3-4 would probably be the limit for this sort of issue. Legalise them, ban them, legalise but regulate, token crazy option. That should be plenty of choice.

I once got an issue with 5 options. I think 5 might be the limit, but I'm not sure. :?:

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 am

Trotterdam wrote:Here's the breakdown of the issues currently in the game (#000 through #425):

*<snip>*.

"0 options"?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:54 am

Bears Armed wrote:"0 options"?
This one.

Now sit quiet and wait while the moderators lock this thread because this is obviously necromancy, contributing nothing useful on a subject that was already resolved over two months ago. Even if it is the original poster doing it.

Jentopia-1
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Jentopia-1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Golgothastan wrote:3-4 would probably be the limit for this sort of issue. Legalise them, ban them, legalise but regulate, token crazy option. That should be plenty of choice.

Will my issue get submitted, or not really? :(
It's my first issue I created, and I just really wanted to create an issue about cognitive enhancers and nootropics. I don't even know if my issue got accepted or not. I'm left in the dark.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Jentopia-1 wrote:

Will my issue get submitted, or not really? :(
It's my first issue I created, and I just really wanted to create an issue about cognitive enhancers and nootropics. I don't even know if my issue got accepted or not. I'm left in the dark.

Well, first things first: did you submit it correctly? The way you do that is click on the ''Want to contribute an issue to NationStates?" link underneath the dismiss button, the rest is pretty self explanatory. If you haven't, do that to be in for a chance of it being accepted into the game. Which I'd highly recommend as I like this issue (liked it a lot back when this was a new topic too, just comment on it).

If you have done so, then simply wait. I submitted my first (accepted) issue in mid-January this and it was accepted in April. Which is below average waiting time. The editors will never tell you if the thing has been dismissed, and the acceptance telegram comes with no warning as a very pleasant surprise while sitting in a pub waiting for your friends to order the beers.

You simply have to be patient.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?