NATION

PASSWORD

How to Build a Region

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:20 pm

I'm just wondering how I can make my recruiting more effective. At the moment, I'm inviting new players in the hope that I can snag a few but I feel that the size of my region is letting us down.

Is there anything I can do to make Sovereign Charter look more interesting? Are there any topics I could look to for advice?

Thanks!
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Port blood
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Port blood » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:37 am

Offer your residents a free kill for every new recruit,that seems to work for TBR
No,I don't speak for TBR,TBH,your mom,moderation or any other person/organization,just saying before anyone thinks that
Sedgistan wrote:Discussion of UDL shirts belongs in the UDL thread.

Kelvaros Prime wrote:*Introduces head to wall repeatedly*
People are learning,join the revolution!

http://pastebin.com/JG8S5Txd

Faschist Deutsch Reich
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Faschist Deutsch Reich » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Port blood wrote:Offer your residents a free kill for every new recruit,that seems to work for TBR

I was going to say something, but I better not... TBR are watching, ready to strike as soon as I post :)

EDIT:

~Anyway on a more serious note~
-When I build regions I like to firstly plan ahead and try to figure out what my goals are and with my resources what I can possibly achieve. Do I want to make it a casual region with a small government or do I prefer a serious region that participates in R/D? When I first set these out I want to start small then work my way up as the region develops... not just go in there with big plans and not much thought. As part of this enitial step as well I decide that my region will have a password and a non-exec delegate.

-After I have done a bit of research and planning I decide what I am going to put on the WFE and factbooks containing info about the region. I think that preparing like this is one of the most important things as I like everything set out neat and tidy and having everything where I no it is. I am decent with BB code so I like to make them look a bit fancy here and there, but still contain the important stuff. Same goes with the WFE as well, I always make sure the links all work and things are tidy.

-Next I would take off the password for the region (I usually password protect them for the time being as I am not prepared for people to join me). Once this stuff is set up I would get a couple of friends that I can trust to help with the region. They would have small jobs for the time being. I would then think of a catchy recruitment TG that will entice people to join my region, as I don't have TG stamps I would aim to recruit manually with the help of my friends. The goal would not be huge as recruiting is not the most successful always.

-If from recruiting I got some new members to join the region then I would start increasing the recruitment effort as obviously something g has went right to gain new members. Once more join then I would start getting into the business end of things where I would try to get things developing into a more professional and serious atmosphere. If I was a region with a government I would start holding elections for positions or if it was R/D then I would start training the people to further enhance their skills or teach them new things.

-After this step most things should be set up and you can begin to function more actively and to a higher potential. If I had a government region I would try to get the community more active with forums or things to do with the WA, if it was a R/D region I would start getting people to participate in raids. From there anything could happen as long as you are willing to continue your goal and putting time an effort into things.

This is just my opinion on things, don't take my word though... my most successful region lasted 2 weeks before natives, defenders and spies started causing trouble and wanted my head :P
Last edited by Faschist Deutsch Reich on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RYM Account
Calimama wrote:You are the tech master now, all hail 'O Wise Technical God.

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks for those tips!

I think I've pretty much covered them. All except for research and thought I was awarded D- for both of those subjects. :blush: . I will revise the recruitment telegram.

Additionally I've pinned dispatches to the World Factbook Entry based on TEKs advice and they seem to be proving popular. (Thanks TEK). I'm hoping to expand on those as time passes.

I think I need to concentrate a little on the World Factbook Entry and make it more visually appealing too.

Again, thanks.
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
4th President and,

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:43 am

question. i just made my own region and want to create an RP forum for it. how do i create them?
also, how do you become a game moderator?
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Faschist Deutsch Reich wrote:
Port blood wrote:Offer your residents a free kill for every new recruit,that seems to work for TBR

I was going to say something, but I better not... TBR are watching, ready to strike as soon as I post :)

EDIT:

~Anyway on a more serious note~
-When I build regions I like to firstly plan ahead and try to figure out what my goals are and with my resources what I can possibly achieve. Do I want to make it a casual region with a small government or do I prefer a serious region that participates in R/D? When I first set these out I want to start small then work my way up as the region develops... not just go in there with big plans and not much thought. As part of this enitial step as well I decide that my region will have a password and a non-exec delegate.

-After I have done a bit of research and planning I decide what I am going to put on the WFE and factbooks containing info about the region. I think that preparing like this is one of the most important things as I like everything set out neat and tidy and having everything where I no it is. I am decent with BB code so I like to make them look a bit fancy here and there, but still contain the important stuff. Same goes with the WFE as well, I always make sure the links all work and things are tidy.

-Next I would take off the password for the region (I usually password protect them for the time being as I am not prepared for people to join me). Once this stuff is set up I would get a couple of friends that I can trust to help with the region. They would have small jobs for the time being. I would then think of a catchy recruitment TG that will entice people to join my region, as I don't have TG stamps I would aim to recruit manually with the help of my friends. The goal would not be huge as recruiting is not the most successful always.

-If from recruiting I got some new members to join the region then I would start increasing the recruitment effort as obviously something g has went right to gain new members. Once more join then I would start getting into the business end of things where I would try to get things developing into a more professional and serious atmosphere. If I was a region with a government I would start holding elections for positions or if it was R/D then I would start training the people to further enhance their skills or teach them new things.

-After this step most things should be set up and you can begin to function more actively and to a higher potential. If I had a government region I would try to get the community more active with forums or things to do with the WA, if it was a R/D region I would start getting people to participate in raids. From there anything could happen as long as you are willing to continue your goal and putting time an effort into things.

This is just my opinion on things, don't take my word though... my most successful region lasted 2 weeks before natives, defenders and spies started causing trouble and wanted my head :P

question. i just made my own region and want to create an RP forum for it. how do i create them?
also, how do you become a game moderator?
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.

Faschist Deutsch Reich
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Faschist Deutsch Reich » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Ok, if you wanted to create an RP forum all you have to do is make one on Zetaboards or something like that or even on N.S forums. Put a password on it and allow it only to members of your region only. You could advertise the RP if you wanted to via a link on your region's WFE, this will link them straight to the RP and people will actually know of it.

I don't know how to become a moderator, I am not the best person to be asking for that. I suppose that you would have to have a pretty clean slate for your record and have a decent amount of experience of the rules and the general site. I think that people can nominate you to become a mod, but most of the time people wouldn't get it.
RYM Account

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:14 am

How to become a mod is detailed here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=85133
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:58 am

Faschist Deutsch Reich wrote:Ok, if you wanted to create an RP forum all you have to do is make one on Zetaboards or something like that or even on N.S forums. Put a password on it and allow it only to members of your region only. You could advertise the RP if you wanted to via a link on your region's WFE, this will link them straight to the RP and people will actually know of it.

I don't know how to become a moderator, I am not the best person to be asking for that. I suppose that you would have to have a pretty clean slate for your record and have a decent amount of experience of the rules and the general site. I think that people can nominate you to become a mod, but most of the time people wouldn't get it.

alright then. the thing about the forum is i want it on Nationstates first, i just created the region and do not need an offsite forum right now. but i cannot find where i create a forum on nationstates
Signed, Creepoc Infinite

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:48 am

So I'm not the only one that thinks there was a forum a lot time ago. The simple case of the matter is, that it's no longer here and you can no longer create forum game side.

NS++ is looking to create a more integrated and internal affair even though they're a third party extension rather than NationStates itself.

But basically, there's no way to create a "forum" game side.
Game Master
4th President and,

Faschist Deutsch Reich
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Faschist Deutsch Reich » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Faschist Deutsch Reich wrote:Ok, if you wanted to create an RP forum all you have to do is make one on Zetaboards or something like that or even on N.S forums. Put a password on it and allow it only to members of your region only. You could advertise the RP if you wanted to via a link on your region's WFE, this will link them straight to the RP and people will actually know of it.

alright then. the thing about the forum is i want it on Nationstates first, i just created the region and do not need an offsite forum right now. but i cannot find where i create a forum on nationstates

Just to tell you, I am not the best person to be asked about this stuff... maybe some role play mentors might be able to help you out with things. Not sure though.
RYM Account

Anthony Willman
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anthony Willman » Mon May 05, 2014 7:28 am

Hey, what could I do to get nations to join Quatramata? And could I have some help making it look more interesting?
I love kittens!
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
99.6% of this world's occupants would cry if Justin Bieber died, if you're one of the .4% who would just laugh and throw a party, copy and paste this in your signature.
.01% of the nations in Nationstates would cry if TBR died. If you are one of the 99.9% who would throw a party, put this in your signature.
I support The Eternal Knights-the only raiders who fight raiders.

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 am

Anthony Willman wrote:Hey, what could I do to get nations to join Quatramata? And could I have some help making it look more interesting?
Well I can help you with the first part buy stamps which can be found here http://www.nationstates.net/page=store or get the NS++ extension for slower API recruitment.
Roll tide. Your local ''Floridman'' who should have left long ago xD

United Eastedge
Envoy

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United Eastedge » Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Is anyone interested in forming a new miscellaneous, realistic and roleplaying region? Or just help me?
P.S. By miscellaneous, I am refering that the region will be dedicated to all the NS sub-forums such as GE&T, NS Sports, F&NI, etc.
Last edited by United Eastedge on Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alparia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alparia » Mon May 26, 2014 12:54 pm

United Eastedge wrote:Is anyone interested in forming a new miscellaneous, realistic and roleplaying region? Or just help me?
P.S. By miscellaneous, I am refering that the region will be dedicated to all the NS sub-forums such as GE&T, NS Sports, F&NI, etc.

I'm all for it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
QUICK FACTS ON ALPARIA
Alparia is 461,237 sq. miles.
Population as of May, 2014 is 48,745,900 people.
GDPpc is $51,351.00
Largest City is Linley with a population of 6,616,838.
Capital City is Lerwick.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon May 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Start a new thread on the topic.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Fri May 30, 2014 8:48 am

Code: Select all
Greetings,

As a new nation, you are currently confronted with one of the most difficult (and most important) choices to make in the game: what region to put your nation in. In order to help someone make said decision, new nations are often flooded with a load of recruitment telegrams (Sorry for adding to that flood, by the way) until their inbox can't hold any more telegrams. So, before I get to the actual recruitment for this recruitment campaign, I'll tell you how to block those telegrams. Go into your settings, find the Telegram Preferences button, and move recruitment telegrams to "Block All." Trust me: you'll thank me later.

Anyways, onto the actual recruitment. I am the co-founder of the region [region]The Burning Sea[/region]: a region that was only recently opened to the public, and hasn't gotten a lot ready yet, but has great potential, and I have many plans for it. The main selling point of the region as it stands now is that [B]you can have a hand in shaping this young region into one of the greatest regions in Nationstates.[/B] I have many ideas for this region, but I will need help to realise them. These ideas include, but are not limited to, a democratically elected regional government, a military force to defend against raiders (Groups of nations which move to regions and take them over through the WA delegate position, then do damage to the victim), and roleplay involving our nations (or not).

We have a forum for the purposes of discussing regional affairs (and other things), which can be found at http://w11.zetaboards.com/The_Burning_Sea/index/. We also have an IRC channel at #BurningSea on Mibbit, which is also linked on the forums.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you'll consider joining us.

Yours,

[nation=short]Applebania[/nation]

For those who want the version that isn't code:
Greetings,

As a new nation, you are currently confronted with one of the most difficult (and most important) choices to make in the game: what region to put your nation in. In order to help someone make said decision, new nations are often flooded with a load of recruitment telegrams (Sorry for adding to that flood, by the way) until their inbox can't hold any more telegrams. So, before I get to the actual recruitment for this recruitment campaign, I'll tell you how to block those telegrams. Go into your settings, find the Telegram Preferences button, and move recruitment telegrams to "Block All." Trust me: you'll thank me later.

Anyways, onto the actual recruitment. I am the co-founder of the region The Burning Sea: a region that was only recently opened to the public, and hasn't gotten a lot ready yet, but has great potential, and I have many plans for it. The main selling point of the region as it stands now is that you can have a hand in shaping this young region into one of the greatest regions in Nationstates. I have many ideas for this region, but I will need help to realise them. These ideas include, but are not limited to, a democratically elected regional government, a military force to defend against raiders (Groups of nations which move to regions and take them over through the WA delegate position, then do damage to the victim), and roleplay involving our nations (or not).

We have a forum for the purposes of discussing regional affairs (and other things), which can be found at http://w11.zetaboards.com/The_Burning_Sea/index/. We also have an IRC channel at #BurningSea on Mibbit, which is also linked on the forums.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you'll consider joining us.

Yours,

Applebania

Is this a good recruitment telegram?
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri May 30, 2014 9:41 am

It's rather generic - "sorry about all the telegrams, join our region which will much the same as everyone else in the future, hopefully". It's lacking anything about what really makes your region distinct (particularly on culture), and as such it's just another telegram in the flood.

Applebania
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Fri May 30, 2014 11:47 am

To be quite frank, I'm not entirely sure how to make it distinct and stand out: I could use some assistance in that area.
AKA Karlsefni

Applebania
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sat May 31, 2014 9:35 am

Sorry for the double post, but would being exceedingly silly and challenging the "SRS BSNS" attitude of Gameplay make the region stand out?
Last edited by Applebania on Sat May 31, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Karlsefni

United Eastedge
Envoy

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United Eastedge » Sat May 31, 2014 10:25 am

Could someone tell me cool latin names for my region? I'd appreciate it.

Applebania
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sat May 31, 2014 10:42 am

Bombulum.
AKA Karlsefni

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Sat May 31, 2014 8:25 pm

United Eastedge wrote:Could someone tell me cool latin names for my region? I'd appreciate it.

Terra Lacrimae
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Riftend
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Currently making a dispatch myself which provides information on regional government, activities and other things for a region
About Me
True Neutral
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Freedom is not a right - but a privilege provided through citizenship
------------------------------Raider------------------------------
| CoF Foreign Relations | Riftend's Factbook | CoF Overview |

Listania
Lobbyist