NATION

PASSWORD

Names for a country?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Archimidian
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Names for a country?

Postby Archimidian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am

Does anyone have any ideas for a name of a country I would like to create? If you do, please share them. I would like names that would really sound like a believable country. Thank you!
Last edited by Archimidian on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:56 am

What sort of country would that be, in terms of historical/cultural background and location?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:58 am

Archimidian wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for a name of a country I would like to create? If you do, please share them. I would like names that would really sound like a believable country. Thank you!

Erm... You're not happy with your current one?
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:12 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Archimidian wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for a name of a country I would like to create? If you do, please share them. I would like names that would really sound like a believable country. Thank you!

Erm... You're not happy with your current one?

There's no reason why they can't have more than one nation, perhaps for different purposes or to try out different ideas, if they want: That's perfectly 'legal', as long as they don't try to have more than one nation simultaneously holding WA membership.
During my eleven years of playing NS I have accumulated over 180 nations that are still in play, as well as about 20 that I've allowed to die & don't plan to restore.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Erm... You're not happy with your current one?

There's no reason why they can't have more than one nation, perhaps for different purposes or to try out different ideas, if they want: That's perfectly 'legal', as long as they don't try to have more than one nation simultaneously holding WA membership.
During my eleven years of playing NS I have accumulated over 180 nations that are still in play, as well as about 20 that I've allowed to die & don't plan to restore.

I get your point, but that wasn't really what I meant. I do keep puppets myself. :p
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Archimidian
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Archimidian » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:23 am

Bears Armed wrote:What sort of country would that be, in terms of historical/cultural background and location?

Nordic-styled country.

Stormaen's name is quite nice.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:13 am

I can't give you a specifically nordic name, but I can give you a country name generator you can keep clicking till you find one you like:
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/countr ... 5uM-7grKhc
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Stormaen
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 15, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Stormaen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Archimidian wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:What sort of country would that be, in terms of historical/cultural background and location?

Nordic-styled country.

Stormaen's name is quite nice.

Thank you. :blush:

You know, NationStates now has a random name generator when you create a nation. One name it threw out for me (I didn't create any nations, just tried out the name generator) that was really nice was "Sirlan". Sounds like it could be a picturesque little Asian island or a sprawling desert sultanate.
Falklands Forever! “Malvinas” Never!
Free West Papua

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:20 am

There's a specifically Nordic generator at http://fantasynamegenerators.com/viking_town_names.php

Sample:
Baroardalr
Borgarsandr
Mjovadalr
Gilsa
Narfeyri
Bitrufjoror
Gilja
Helgafjall
Forsoeludalr
Gautland
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay