NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates World Fair IV (2015) - Closed for 2015

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Lamoni wrote:Greater Dienstad has officially submitted our bid to host the 2015 NS World's Fair.

Turncoat. :p
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 am

Krytenia wrote:
Lamoni wrote:Greater Dienstad has officially submitted our bid to host the 2015 NS World's Fair.

Turncoat. :p

I recall Falcania calling me much worse than that when I left AO to join GD. :rofl: Seriously though, it's not as if AO can't submit their own hosting bid. In fact, i'd welcome it, if the organizers are still accepting bids at this point. Hell, AO having a regional booth would also be very welcome.

To the Fair committee, i'd like to ask the question of, "how many host bids did you collect?"
Last edited by Lamoni on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:00 pm

NationStates World Fair Host Bids

The NationStates World Fair Committee is pleased to announce that we have received four bids to host this years World Fair. We will now open the bids up for voting, with the winner being afforded the opportunity to host this years World Fair. We would like to thank all of the regions who took the time to apply for hosting. The bids are detailed below in the order that the regions applied in.

ImageGreater Dienstad
Greater Dienstad

1. Why does your region want to host the World Fair?

Greater Dienstad is a region without official definition. Instead, it is defined by the players. We promote diversity, cooperation, and cosmopolitanism — rather than having a homogenous regional culture, we accept a heterogeneity of cultures. The largest binding factors are our love for RPing and our willingness to cooperate together for the sake of the story. Thanks to this philosophy we've been around for 10 years, remaining active for most of that time. We would like to host the World Fair in an effort to promote these values, which are fundamental to both the RP side and the GP side of NS. And we'd like to celebrate the diversity of NS and how we all can interact with each other, without receding into regional cliques.

2. What activities/ideas would you like to bring to the WF?

Some activity ideas:

— "Translate the word to your nation's language."
— "The One Paragraph RP" (We are an RP region and, as such, would like to promote RPing; this would consist of one paragraph posts, to make the threads easy to participate in and fast-moving. We could come up with topics for different one paragraph RPs)
— "Interesting Historical Facts" (Nations share historical facts about themselves, from any period of their history.)
— "Share Your Kitchen" (a food thread)
— "Name one 'non-realistic' thing about your regional neighbor that you appreciate." (I think this is best explained by way of an example. I am highly critical of Lyras' economic model, because in the real world it's nonsense. But I appreciate how his deviation from realism allows him to create a more unique portrait of his people and of his country. The thread would focus on this appreciation. The idea is to promote working with one each other, towards compromise.)
— A regional embassy section. Regions can exchange in-character embassies, pushing these regions to meet each other. Maybe it inspires a more permanent relationship between some.

I think I'd also ask someone (I've have to do some investigation to see who'd fit the bill the best) to defend GP invaders. If I were to do that, I'd also ask someone to critique GP invaders (maybe?), and then someone more in the middle (maybe United Gordonopia for this one, if he's up for it).

3. What should this years theme for the World Fair be? How would you implement that theme?

Diversity and cooperation.

Through the activities. As far as the forum skin goes, I still have to think of this. But, I am in marketing and I spend my whole day thinking about interpreting concepts through imagery and copy. And my fiance is a graphic designer, and while I can't say she'd be up for doing any major work, she can at least guide me. It will be Zetaboard hosted, correct?

4. Any other information we should consider with respect to your region's bid?

Most of us are older. I'm 28, we have a guy who must be in his late 40s by now, and most of us are in the second-half of our 20s. And we have a lot of young guys too, like Esalonia. We are also diverse in our OOC backgrounds. I am Spanish–American, we have several Britons, two Aussies, a Pole, a guy living in Germany, and several others who identify with a diverse set of countries and cultures. Most of us also have careers. If you choose us, you choose a group of mature hosts who will do a good job, because they understand the responsibilities that come with preparing the NS World Fair.

ImageThe North Pacific
The North Pacific

The North Pacific would like to host the World Fair because of what we could bring to it. We have a large community with plenty of enthusiasm for NationStates and their own regional family, and we believe that we could bring that feeling to the World Fair on a larger scale if we host it than just through a regional booth. TNP also has experience with regional events through its long history, participating in cultural events with our allies as well as the previous World Fairs. This experience and a well-honed and active Culture and Entertainment Ministry with experience keeping its own region on its toes could help the World Fair be bigger and better than ever.

In addition to the things common at every World Fair such as spam games and open discussion, we would like to introduce more RP to the Fair. That's something that has been lacking at past Fairs and TNP with its vibrant role-play community would be well-poised to contribute to a more active RP section at the Fair.

3. What should this years theme for the World Fair be? How would you implement that theme?

The North Pacific would follow a theme of Change and Diversity - NationStates is a game that over the past few months has implemented a lot of changes. These changes affect everyone, no matter what their sphere or alignment is. The World Fair has always been a place where everyone can join together for a bit of fun no matter which side of the game they are on, and if TNP hosts the Fair we will celebrate both the changes that have come to the game and the diversity of the Fair's attendees through cultural discussions and talk about what changes we would like to see come to NationStates, both in the game itself and the culture that has been built up around the game.

The North Pacific may be the largest region in the game, but it prides itself on its close-knit and friendly community. We would like the rest of the NationStates world to get a feeling of that for a short time at the World Fair.

ImageThe East Pacific
The East Pacific

We believe that the World Fair is an important event for NationStates. It is an event where regions get to show off the awesome things they’re doing, nations become educated on theories and problems concerning NationStates, and most importantly it is a place for people to come together. There are very few events here in NationStates that have raiders and defenders, democracies and dictatorships, coupers and coupees all coming together in peace. At the NationStates world fair, all sides come together to learn and to interact – they set aside their differences and just have fun.

I would like to bring a more hip feel to the fair. I would also like to make it easier for newer nations to get involved. In the hip department, I would most definitely like to try and get the AMA with the Mod crew like proposed in the NS World Fair thread. I think it is a fantastic idea and would be great to implement. To make it more accessible, I would try to get some of the smaller regions involved where newer nations are more likely to be, create a nice “viewing guide” for the fair to help the nations figure out what the heck is going on and finally make sure things are calm enough so they feel comfortable posting.

I think the theme should be “unity”. There was much debate going on regarding this fair and I think if we can successfully pull this fair off, it would be a feat for NS. Unity would describe our resolve to put away our Gameplay differences and do what is right. In order to achieve this theme, I think we could show opposites such as Ying and Yang; black and white. Show how these seemingly different objects can indeed unite and be one.

We have a fantastic forum crew that ensures everything is always working on our forum. We have very little issues with it and it’ll be more than up to the challenge of trying to accommodate a good number of users. Also, we want it to be a fun event for all and would strive to ensure it would be spectacular :).

ImageKingdom of Great Britain
Kingdom of Great Britain

Our region (Kingdom of Great Britain) is made up of brilliant and creative individuals that have grand ideas and dreams; we'd like to collect our already artistic minds and turn their attention to the World Fair, where they can be fully utilized and showcased like they deserve (and want), and to share the creativity that we get to enjoy as a region with everyone else as well.

We would like to create a giant game of Mafia/Werewolf, in which each region chooses one person to represent them. The winning region(s) would be awarded with telegram stamps, the jackpot being divided amongst the victors. We would also be interested in organising a Secret Santa in which people create artworks for each other.

3. What should this year’s theme for the World Fair be? How would you implement that theme?

“The Sun Never Sets on NationStates” – Celebrating the cultural diversity of NationStates.
To bring this idea into practise, we would have different threads in which people introduce us to their nation. Things such as recipes of typical dishes, songs by musicians from their nation, interesting customs and activities, how to say “Hello” or “I love you” in their language… The idea would be to let everybody get a taste of these many different places people on NS come from.

http://i.imgur.com/TB3Ufwc.png
Leaving you with this lovely image.

>>>>>>>>
Last edited by McMasterdonia on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kazmr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazmr » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:00 am

Woooo Greater Dienstad! :D :D

Really excited to see how far this bid goes!

EDIT: Also, when will voting close?
Last edited by Kazmr on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Chairman of the Peoples Republic of Lazarus
Officer of the Lazarene Liberation Army
Also known as United Gordonopia

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:10 am

Fyi, for the invading/defending debate in the GD bid, I'm still doing a lot of research as to who'd be best to partake -- so who gives those lectures is still up in the air and, if we win the bid, people involved in that aspect of the game are more than welcome to give me advice (or you can nominate yourself).
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Beatrice
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 26, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Beatrice » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:51 am

Somewhat late, however, The Independent Order would be interested in a booth.
Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of The Independent Order

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:24 pm

Beatrice wrote:Somewhat late, however, The Independent Order would be interested in a booth.

We look forward to seeing you there!

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:40 pm

Just for clarification purposes, voting will be open for 5 days.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:32 am

In the thingy on the voting site it says there are five options when there are only four.

Ambrella
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Ambrella » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Consular wrote:In the thingy on the voting site it says there are five options when there are only four.

Probably just an error. Thanks for noting it here.
Sopo, former big wig of Europeia and denizen of Bloopsjooj.

Eternal Hebron
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eternal Hebron » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Westphalia is interested in a booth. :)
I'm the Delegate.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Keep voting, folks!
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:20 pm

Eternal Hebron wrote:Westphalia is interested in a booth. :)
I'm the Delegate.

I've added you to the list. Welcome aboard.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

PrussianEmpire
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrussianEmpire » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:22 pm

This is going to be fun!
—« The PrussianEmpire From The East Pacific »—

The contents of the above post represent the views of Exshaw, the Imperial Legion, the United Defenders League, the Founderless Regions Alliance, the New Inquisition, the Black Hawks, the North Pacific, the Alliance Defense Network, the Atlantic Central Command, Francos Spain, Dwight Eisenhower, and the 1998 New York Yankees.

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Thank you everyone who voted or who put forward their regions to host The NationStates World Fair. We had 142 votes on the survey. The winner to host the world fair in 2015 is Greater Dienstad. Congratulations Greater Dienstad, and I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

McMasterdonia wrote:Thank you everyone who voted or who put forward their regions to host The NationStates World Fair. We had 142 votes on the survey. The winner to host the world fair in 2015 is Greater Dienstad. Congratulations Greater Dienstad, and I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Congratulations to Greater Dienstad! I ranked them first, as I thought they had the most developed agenda.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks to everyone who voted for GD. We are very excited!

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Who came in second?

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Can we see a breakdown of who got how many votes? I think that that would be very interesting.
Last edited by Lamoni on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

PrussianEmpire
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrussianEmpire » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Congratulations Greater Dienstad! Can't wait to have the privilage to visit y'all's wonder region :)
—« The PrussianEmpire From The East Pacific »—

The contents of the above post represent the views of Exshaw, the Imperial Legion, the United Defenders League, the Founderless Regions Alliance, the New Inquisition, the Black Hawks, the North Pacific, the Alliance Defense Network, the Atlantic Central Command, Francos Spain, Dwight Eisenhower, and the 1998 New York Yankees.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:32 pm

I hope they pick a better skin for the world's fair than they did for their own forums....
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:I hope they pick a better skin for the world's fair than they did for their own forums....

No, we won't go with the default. :P

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 pm

The Macabees wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:I hope they pick a better skin for the world's fair than they did for their own forums....

No, we won't go with the default. :P

We've just gained the ability to log in to the forums, after all. :lol:
Last edited by Lamoni on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Anthem

Kazmr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazmr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:47 am

Wooo!!! This is gonna be great, thanks everyone for your support!

And as for the forum, yeah, it won't just be the default :P Thats mostly just because we dont reaply use our forum for much other than storing treaties and a few things we want to keep from the public eye :P
Former Chairman of the Peoples Republic of Lazarus
Officer of the Lazarene Liberation Army
Also known as United Gordonopia

Small Huts
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Small Huts » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:28 am

Current:
World Assembly Delegate of The United Federation of Planets
Governor of The United Federation of Planets
Cure Squad Security of Equilism
Former:
World Assembly Delegate of Equilism
Chief Minister of Equilism (and minister in all departments)
ερωτâv πάντα

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay