NATION

PASSWORD

Most secure founderless regions

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:44 pm

The argument is not that raiding is good for a region, but it is not always all bad. Regardless, I'm sure all founderless regions will experience it at some point, so we can find out what they think then. ;)
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Jakker wrote:The argument is not that raiding is good for a region, but it is not always all bad. Regardless, I'm sure all founderless regions will experience it at some point, so we can find out what they think then. ;)

My founderless region has not yet experienced it, so I really don't know.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 pm

The Stalker wrote:I would argue that raids can be quite the catalyst for change. However, it takes twisted logic to think your "helping" them.

Not very twisted.

We've raided regions that weren't secure.
After the raid they became secure.
Being secure has helped the regions.
We're the reason they're secure.
We helped them.

That's logic as straight as a line, Stalk. :)
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Corvus Corax
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Corax » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Important part of that straight logic is also the fact that a founderless region Is secure at least next 12 hours.
Messenger of The Witch-Queen of Cimmeria

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:05 am

My point was Ridersyl, that most regions post-raid aren't more secure or "benefited" afterwards, raiding will always be a destructive force that leads to the erosion of a region. The majority of founderless regions are on there way out being down a founder as is. Only large founderless regions with committed communities even stand a chance, and that is often at a high price.
Last edited by The Stalker on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

Corvus Corax
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Corax » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:31 am

Stalker. Let's look at to the example. My Little Pony. I know history of this late updating region as I founded it. I was very drunken during one of my "off-duty"/"retirement" periods, unable to contribute raiding activities because my puppets were CTE'd. However, I noticed so familiar movements out from TBR jump point to a various other regions. I noticed Dear Syl was one member of that team out there. I made new puppets, applying them to WA and taking part 'incognito' as I could. One of those created puppets was Hug4Syl. My Little Pony was so called instant jump point for me then. It was raider's gentle salute to other raider. I sent password via TG to that puppet to Syl after the update. I was that drunken I cannot anymore recall the password and it apparently disappeared to the system messages in a TG BOX of a Syl's random raiding puppet.

That's the Creation story of that founderless region.

What happened then. As a late updating region it became constant target for TBR tag teams as a certain internal joke. There after various groups has continuously "liberated" that region again and again. The region is full of place holders and sleepers. Maybe. Just maybe. Someday, once upon time in NS, My Little Pony fans of the Multiverse manage organize sufficiently determined and numerous force of WA-nations and make it the home of the Living community of My Little Pony. And I have no objections if that ever happens and I think Syl won't complain about it either.

Meanwhile it is secured as it exist. Particularly so after this statement.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:07 am

The Stalker wrote:My point was Ridersyl, that most regions post-raid aren't more secure or "benefited" afterwards, raiding will always be a destructive force that leads to the erosion of a region. The majority of founderless regions are on there way out being down a founder as is. Only large founderless regions with committed communities even stand a chance, and that is often at a high price.

When I saw you calling my logic "twisted", I stopped caring about what point you were trying to make and just decided to respond to that part of your comment.

Raiding is evil, blah blah, we get it, King of Hell. :lol:
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 am

The Stalker wrote:I would argue that raids can be quite the catalyst for change. However, it takes twisted logic to think your "helping" them. Most invaded regions are more damage by the experience, particularly in the area of regional population.

Anarchy was certainly not helped by months long occupation. Having a population between 140 and 120 prior to the raid, now still only at 70.

I think the instantiates where the region did pull together are just more memorable, but they are not nearly as often or as positive as your suggesting.

Here's the thing Nibu. At best from a non-raider perspective raids are seen as petty vandalism/graffiti, which is nowadays the most common type. This is not the same thing as burning the whole fucking house down. Even the ones that take the house hostage for a while isn't necessarily a Macedon massacre.

It's not all that bad.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:44 am

The Stalker wrote:I would argue that raids can be quite the catalyst for change. However, it takes twisted logic to think your "helping" them. Most invaded regions are more damage by the experience, particularly in the area of regional population.

Anarchy was certainly not helped by months long occupation. Having a population between 140 and 120 prior to the raid, now still only at 70.

I think the instantiates where the region did pull together are just more memorable, but they are not nearly as often or as positive as your suggesting.

Well, back in 2006 I didn't really know how the game worked and I just answered issues in the region Poland (not that there's anything wrong with that). It took a raid performed by the Blades of Conquest to sort of wake us all up to gameplay. Had it not been for that, I'd have probably retired long ago, Poland might be a part of the Macedon Empire, and a bunch of us over there may have lost interest. So yeah, in my case, and in the case of Poland, raiding helped.

I often wonder how many people were "pulled" into gameplay due to the R&D game. That is, they were minding their own business, they were raided, they then joined the R or D side. I believe it was a lot back then, I don't know how many it is today.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Corvus Corax
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Corax » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 am

@Todd. That "pull to R/D" by raids is exactly why TBR have continuous stream of new recruits. Unfortunately only 1 new comer out of 100 stays, but many of those whom leave continue still in R/D, in way or another.

The Stalker
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:58 pm

I'm not saying there aren't instances where a raid helps the community more in the end, just that it's not the case for most, and that it's often at a price.

Hippy Haven is defiantly better off now, larger, raid free, and more active than Hippiedom was, but it was at the cost of our original name. Hell's occupation lead to us finally uniting, now more secure and active then we've been in years, but that was at the price of a decent chunk of our population and a lot of conflict.
The Mad King of Hell
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Solorni wrote:
Jakker wrote:The argument is not that raiding is good for a region, but it is not always all bad. Regardless, I'm sure all founderless regions will experience it at some point, so we can find out what they think then. ;)

My founderless region has not yet experienced it, so I really don't know.

That can be arranged :twisted:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:07 pm

If I move in, and you let me play the endo cap up to about 90-100 instead of 15, we'll have a right old party going on in a few days, Hawk-Style :P
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Weapons and War
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Weapons and War » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:58 am

No founder less regions are safe

Bodger
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Bodger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Communist Eraser wrote:Ceraser presents: Largest founderless regions sorted by endorsements.

Our starting point for this is http://www.nationstates.net/page=tag_se ... ounderless , but it only shows the largest founderless region by size which includes regions with lots of puppets. I had to manually check for endorsements to get the real picture of the most successful and secure founderless regions.

GCRs

The North Pacific: 544
The West Pacific: 265
The Pacific: 264
The East Pacific: 226
The South Pacific: 222
The Rejected Realms: 144
Balder: 115
Lazarus: 134
Osiris: 82

UCRs

Social Liberal Union: 45
Canada: 44
NationStates: 38
European Union: 28
ITALIA: 25
Atheist Empire: 19
Anarchy: 18
Equestria: 18
Portugal: 15
Hell: 15

(The Mountains to the East 30 but excluded as under defence/raid)

My motivation for doing this is show how difficult it is to build a founderless UCR and to recognise those who have been successful in doing so. Secondly when the typical response to founderless regions that were raided was to secure yourselves better, I want to so show these regions are already at the top of the game, have done all they can and it's near impossible to do any better. (Referring to Anarchy and Hell which had been raided in recent times, not sure about the others). This is especially when the natives' part often forgotten in gameplay....when they form the primary preventive defence in the first place by building a region is high endos.

Lastly, I am selfish and looking for some belated recognition when I built EE to 6th on the list through most of 2012-13 and only got a "who's that". :p

I am curious to see how this has changed in almost 5 years. Brackets show the old number.

GCRs

The North Pacific: 895 (544)
The South Pacific: 639 (222)
The East Pacific: 569 (226)
The West Pacific: 492 (265)
The Pacific: 337 (264)
Balder: 322 (115)
Lazarus: 274 (134)
Osiris: 265 (82)
The Rejected Realms: 178 (144)

UCRs - 10 or more endorsements

The Communist Bloc 195
Nationstates 48 (38)
Yggdrasil 34 (Though GRO may revive himself)
Canada 32 (44)
Social Liberal Union: 28 (45)
Eurasia 28 (Founder recently CTE though)
Portugal 25 (15)
South Pacific 20
Warzone Sandbox* 19
Warzone Asia*** 16
Warzone Europe 15
Anarchy 13 (18)
Japan 13
Hell 13
Christmas 12
ITALIA 11 (25)
St Abbaddon 10
Furry Antifascist Alliance 10
North Ustaynga** 10

*Technically a GCR but more relevant to compare to founderless UCRs
** This is unique because it's voluntarily chose to be founderless by starting the region with a Non-Executive Founder
*** Many of these are NPO reinforcements

I stopped at page 7 as total nation count was less than 20.

My thoughts:

TNP is still the biggest but it I think it has reached a limit to growth, at least to the overall state of the game. TWP, TSP and TEP all had a surge. TP's policies meant its growth was much slower. Balder despite being "irrelevant" to GP may well overtake it soon which would be the first time in a non-post-coup situation. It'll be an interesting day when a Sinker overtakes a Feeder. Osiris has lots of growth but 2015 was also its lowest point. TRR has hardly changed at all in 5 years - it might an inherent limitation of a region based on rejects.

For Founderless UCRs, the situation has hardly changed in 5 years. Most of those were always founder-less even 5 years ago and are already comfortable at their size. It's simply more logical to have a founder afterall - the main exception is The Communist Bloc which far outstrips other founderless regions.

Warzones are making a good showing on themselves compared to most founderless regions. They deserve more respect.
Last edited by Bodger on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Stalker
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Nice 5 year update!

Though, you know, "most endorsements" is bit different than "most secure". Also I feel calling feeders / sinker regions, founderless regions is inaccurate. They are massive regions that spawn nations. They're more secure than any UCR, founderless or not lol. The site is their founder, and it's still here.

If we're talking founderless regions security, should base it off of region's community size and last time raided. I'd put Nationstates at number one, and Hell at number two.

I'd be curious to see what the hardest to raid founderless regions list would be.
The Mad King of Hell

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:18 am

The Stalker wrote:Nice 5 year update!

Though, you know, "most endorsements" is bit different than "most secure". Also I feel calling feeders / sinker regions, founderless regions is inaccurate. They are massive regions that spawn nations. They're more secure than any UCR, founderless or not lol. The site is their founder, and it's still here.

If we're talking founderless regions security, should base it off of region's community size and last time raided. I'd put Nationstates at number one, and Hell at number two.

I'd be curious to see what the hardest to raid founderless regions list would be.

Hell number two? You are the only one who knows the password. It is impossible to raid.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:36 am

Wayneactia wrote:

Hell number two? You are the only one who knows the password. It is impossible to raid.

Not impossible, The SC, though almost impossible, may Liberate Hell.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:51 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Hell number two? You are the only one who knows the password. It is impossible to raid.

Not impossible, The SC, though almost impossible, may Liberate Hell.

Like I said, impossible.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 am

Eurasia is Antifa reinforcements
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

The Stalker
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:48 am

Wayneactia wrote:

Well depends on how what you'd wanna factor in for such a ranking. I put Hell as number two to NationStates, because it has never been raided, Mike has held the seat for over 15 years. If you had to guess which do you think would be raided, Hell or NationStates?
The Mad King of Hell

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:57 am

TP's policies meant its growth was much slower.

I'd give this, in part, a "technicalllllly" rating. They've not pursued endorsement growth as strongly as some regions have; they also had an unusual delegate and leadership transition, and a long-running endorsement campaign against them.

Overall, too, some combination of the trend charts of each delegate's endorsements over time, stitched together, would tell a much better story for all of these regions than two single data points.

The Stalker wrote:If we're talking founderless regions security, should base it off of region's community size and last time raided. I'd put Nationstates at number one, and Hell at number two.

I'm not sure I agree with that, depending on the lens we're looking through.

NationStates is "secure" because of it's social-political ties. Mainstream raiders don't want to touch it, and they have ties with large regions. But, if a large party that did not care about those things wanted to take it, there have been more than a few times in recent history when the endo gap between Mike and the baseline avg around the region was uncomfortably small.

Hell, on the other hand, as you well know, is an actively managed fortress of security. It's protected by countermeasures, not by promises. Perhaps you could argue it's less "secure" in that raiders actually want to raid it, but it's also certainly more "secured."
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:05 pm

The Stalker wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Hell number two? You are the only one who knows the password. It is impossible to raid.

Well depends on how what you'd wanna factor in for such a ranking. I put Hell as number two to NationStates, because it has never been raided, Mike has held the seat for over 15 years. If you had to guess which do you think would be raided, Hell or NationStates?

Both have about as much chance of being raided as the sun has going supernova, but I will defer to your judgement on the matter.

wait

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay