NATION

PASSWORD

An Issue with Death

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
No Options
Civilian

Founded: Feb 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

An Issue with Death

Postby No Options » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:50 pm

How many different ways to die are there in NationStates?

So far, I have seen:
Old Age
Heart Disease
Cancer
Lost in Wilderness
Acts of God
Bungee Jumping
"National animal" Attacks
Accident
Suicide While in Police Custody
Disappearance
Involuntary Euthanasia
Exposure
Scurvy
Murder
War
Ritual Sacrifice
Exposure
Malnourishment
Work
Capital Punishment
Sunburn

What else is there? How do you get rid of certain kinds of death (like sunburn)? And when did they add "involuntary euthanasia"?

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Sunburn should be caused by lax nudity laws.
Last edited by Frattastan II on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

New Ryafell
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Acts of God

Postby New Ryafell » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:20 pm

id like to know how to get rid of "Acts of God"

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:05 am

Frattastan II wrote:Sunburn should be caused by lax nudity laws.

Not by "lax" nudity laws, it's only compulsory nudity that causes it...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Greater Dutch Republic
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:07 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Frattastan II wrote:Sunburn should be caused by lax nudity laws.

Not by "lax" nudity laws, it's only compulsory nudity that causes it...

Shit, I made nudity compulsory. I'm gonna go check my deaths pie chart.
Australian Antarctica wrote:Sorry, I was Russian to be funny. Fine, I'll Finnish with them soon enough. Unless you are Hungary for more?

Conwy-shire wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote: ... but I'm about to be executed by my teachers in school...

Rule 1. If they try to execute you, execute them back

Gyrenaica wrote:Just maybe I might not see any nukes I may or may not buy off the black market and may or may not know that I may or may not have the possible launch codes that may or may not exist for the nukes that may or may not exist.

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Does anyone know the term 'invasion of red tape'?

Excessive Communist adhesive.

Montecroce
Attaché

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Montecroce » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:27 am

New Ryafell wrote:id like to know how to get rid of "Acts of God"

This. The better my environment gets, the more it goes up, it seems. But I want a great environment :(

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:32 am

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but how do you get "War" as a way of death?
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

The Agnostic Collective
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Agnostic Collective » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:42 am

I imagine cutting down on religion will help get rid of "Acts of God" as deaths by such means are probably "Accidental Deaths" interpretted by the religious citizenry as "Acts of God"

On the matter of deaths atributed to war, options that result in attacking Bigtopia, Lilliputia, Black Acre and such will result in deaths from war.

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Yeah. Highly militant nations will have "War" as a cause of death.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:01 pm

"Acts of God" is used to describe deaths that do not fall into another category, and seem to be random and unexplainable, or fall outside of human control. As NS is a pretty godless game in more ways than one, I'd imagine that you have to be technologically advanced to get rid of it- or simply have the other causes of death large enough to make the Acts of God small enough in comparison to disappear from your chart.

The Agnostic Collective
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Agnostic Collective » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Perhaps having a highly intelligent population will lower deaths from "Acts of God"

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:51 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:Yeah. Highly militant nations will have "War" as a cause of death.

The Agnostic Collective wrote:I imagine cutting down on religion will help get rid of "Acts of God" as deaths by such means are probably "Accidental Deaths" interpretted by the religious citizenry as "Acts of God"

On the matter of deaths atributed to war, options that result in attacking Bigtopia, Lilliputia, Black Acre and such will result in deaths from war.

Thank you!
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:16 am

King Nephmir II wrote:"Acts of God" is used to describe deaths that do not fall into another category, and seem to be random and unexplainable, or fall outside of human control. As NS is a pretty godless game in more ways than one, I'd imagine that you have to be technologically advanced to get rid of it- or simply have the other causes of death large enough to make the Acts of God small enough in comparison to disappear from your chart.

In RL it's also an Insurance Industry term, so maybe keeping your nation's Insurance Industry as small as possible helps?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

New Ryafell
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Ryafell » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 pm

King Nephmir II wrote:"Acts of God" is used to describe deaths that do not fall into another category, and seem to be random and unexplainable, or fall outside of human control. As NS is a pretty godless game in more ways than one, I'd imagine that you have to be technologically advanced to get rid of it- or simply have the other causes of death large enough to make the Acts of God small enough in comparison to disappear from your chart.

i have a 12 on the stupidity test with high scientific advancement of 85 and i have checked theirs very low traits of unexpected deaths (-23)

Democratic Republic of Kaliria
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of Kaliria » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:57 pm

We execute people here all the time, why do we not have any deaths by capital punishment?
Last edited by Democratic Republic of Kaliria on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glory to Miss Michalina Kaliria, the Glorious Leader of the Eternal Revolution of the Democratic Republic of Kaliria.

Dirty Red Commie ❤ ☭

New Ryafell
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Ryafell » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Bump for Acts of God

The Agnostic Collective
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Agnostic Collective » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:57 am

This nation, which has a Scientific Advancement rating of 472 (top 1% worldwide) has no deaths by "Acts of God" whereas my religious nation Il Veltro has a primitiveness rating of 258 (top 1% worldwide) has 6.3% of deaths attributed to "Acts of God" which use to be around 30%, but deaths by Disappearance has grown substantially which has reduced the other deaths in it.

If someone else could confirm similar statistics, that would probably confirm Neph's theory.

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:41 am

"Acts of God" could be a reference to natural disasters, whose frequency/severity might be reduced by more environmentally friendly and pro-science policies. I can't do it right now, but someone else should check for a correlation between eco-friendliness and "Acts of God" deaths.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

The Agnostic Collective
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Agnostic Collective » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Icamera wrote:"Acts of God" could be a reference to natural disasters, whose frequency/severity might be reduced by more environmentally friendly and pro-science policies. I can't do it right now, but someone else should check for a correlation between eco-friendliness and "Acts of God" deaths.

That also applies to my previous post. This nation has an eco-friendliness rating of -171, while my other nation Il Veltro has an eco-friendliness rating of 522.

Weather ratings:

This nation -752.
Il Veltro 464

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:30 pm

I would think increasing the Safety stat of your nation, through social policies and possibly by having a strong military budget might help. I know War is a separate statistic, but in contractual law, war is classified as an act of god because the possibility of preventing it is impractical. Perhaps the 2 stats are linked in this way?
Last edited by The Church of Satan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

New Ryafell
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Ryafell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:34 pm

it seems primitiveness has some connection to acts of God but i have -87

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay