NATION

PASSWORD

Gameplay Advice Thread - We're here to help!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Flawless Nation Name wrote:How long is a term for WA Secretary General? When will we re-elect?

It was an April Fools' thing. The position comes with no duties or such. I doubt it will ever occur again (like most other April Fools' events)
See You Space Cowboy...

ADESiEM
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby ADESiEM » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Flawless Nation Name wrote:How long is a term for WA Secretary General? When will we re-elect?

I was going ask the same thing!

Jeffersonborg
Attaché

Founded: Dec 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeffersonborg » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Drasnia wrote:

It was an April Fools' thing. The position comes with no duties or such. I doubt it will ever occur again (like most other April Fools' events)

More likely than you think apparently.

[violet] wrote:Maaaaaaaybe.

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:58 am

Drasnia wrote:

NS Zombies started as an April Fools day minigame.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Sygian II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sygian II » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:41 pm

We Are Not the NSA wrote:
Drasnia wrote:It was an April Fools' thing. The position comes with no duties or such. I doubt it will ever occur again (like most other April Fools' events)

NS Zombies started as an April Fools day minigame.

Cards against NS is still around..

Am I the only one that still plays that? :(
Benevolent Thomas wrote:The Black Hawks continue to be the largest and most successful invader organization in NationStates

Maj. Sygian

Council Advisor of The Black Hawks

Serbocerdia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Regions

Postby Serbocerdia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Hello. I have just started a new region and hsve 5 members but like, how do I make a PROPER region. It's because I look at other nations and they have like forums and stuff and how to make all these things confuses me. Help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks, Serbocerdia
Heya! Serbocerdia here. I see you're reading muh signature. Don't really like raiders all that much, it's just bad practice I suppose but each to their own.

I'm a tier 6 nation according to this index 'ere.

Sedburgh
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Quick questions

Postby Sedburgh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello-
I'm still somewhat new to this, and certainly new to the World Assembly. How do I endorse a nation and how do I vote on proposals?

Sedburgh
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Custom Flag?

Postby Sedburgh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm not skilled at photoshop or things of that nature. Any advice on where to go to make a custom flag for my nation?

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Sedburgh wrote:Hello-
I'm still somewhat new to this, and certainly new to the World Assembly. How do I endorse a nation and how do I vote on proposals?

If there's something up for vote in the WA - which currently there isn't - there'll be a notification button on the WA tab, and you can go and vote on something.

If you're wanting to endorse someone, two things need to be true:
1. You need to both be in the WA.
2. You both need to be in the same region.

If both of those are true, go to their nation page, scroll to the bottom, and there should be a button saying "Endorse X".
Sedburgh wrote:I'm not skilled at photoshop or things of that nature. Any advice on where to go to make a custom flag for my nation?

You can make a request here, and it should be done within a few days if you're patient.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

The Second New Kent
Civilian

Founded: Jun 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Second New Kent » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:03 am

I would just like to now, how do I declare war?

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:31 am

The Second New Kent wrote:I would just like to now, how do I declare war?

Nationstates doesn't have any sort of integrated war feature. If you're referring to Nation Roleplay then all of that is simulated over text. I'd recommend heading over to the International Incidents and Nationstates forum sections for that and maybe picking up a mentor there as they'd be far more in tune with Roleplay. There's also the NS Military Gameplay which you can read about in one of the other pinned threads in this forum, but it's far from what you'd be imagining in a "war declaring" sort of game.

Your in-game nation can't actually effect any other in-game nation, and that's done very much on purpose and will not be changing. However both the RP Forums and R/D have very diverse and vibrant communities that you could certainly have a good time being part of nonetheless.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:51 pm

If I switch WA membership from one nation which has endorsements to another, but switch back before the region of the first nation updates, will I keep the endorsements on that first one?
Sorry for the spelling mistake in my name.
ICly, I am the Vilats Union | IIWiki

Join Atlas!
You can call me Alev.
Neutral Good
QUOTES
Kouralia wrote:You're in a man of war. Screw 'main efforts' and 'objectives'; sail around and look like a badass mother-fucker and sing sea shanties.

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:If I switch WA membership from one nation which has endorsements to another, but switch back before the region of the first nation updates, will I keep the endorsements on that first one?

No.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Rabbitina
Civilian

Founded: Jun 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

WA Delegate

Postby Rabbitina » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:53 am

If there is only 1 WA member (me) in my region and can't get endorsements, who is the WA delegate? Do we have to take a poll or is it me by default?
Last edited by Rabbitina on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:02 am

Rabbitina wrote:If there is only 1 WA member (me) in my region and can't get endorsements, who is the WA delegate? Do we have to take a poll or is it me by default?

Nobody is. There is no WA Delegate under the scenario you describe.
Knight of TITO

Maybud
Civilian

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Super-duper noober

Postby Maybud » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:42 pm

All right guys. I'm brand, brand new. Somebody on Imgur posted an ad for this saying that they had a lot of fun, and after they described it, I nodded and said "Yeah that sounds like fun to me too."

I've gotten so far as to making my nation and picking resolutions for the first 4 issues, and seeing a bajillion invites for regions.

So my questions are:
1) I like to roleplay. How do I get started?
2) What are the benefits of joining another region?
3) Are there any cons to joining a region?
4) Is swapping a region easy or hard if I don't like the one I've selected? How careful does this decision have to be?
5) How would you say, as an experienced player, you've gotten the most fun out of this game? How do I do that?

Zzyzzy
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Zzyzzy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:31 pm

So i wasting time, challenging random nations on the activity feed and suddenly, rather than getting a level up notification, it said i qualified for a speciality.

What exactly does this mean, how do i select or view or anything my specialities?

Why are all the names taken already
Civilian

Ex-Nation

Help ME!!!

Postby Why are all the names taken already » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm a completley new player at this game. When I first read what this game was about I was so excited to get into it but I have no idea where to start! any tips would be helpful.

Thank you

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:22 am

Maybud wrote:So my questions are:
2) What are the benefits of joining another region?
3) Are there any cons to joining a region?
4) Is swapping a region easy or hard if I don't like the one I've selected? How careful does this decision have to be?
5) How would you say, as an experienced player, you've gotten the most fun out of this game? How do I do that?

1. Skim through the threads that are stickied at the tops of each section in the ‘National Affairs’ division of these forums, to see which sections suit your tastes, then look through those sections for threads that aren’t labelled as not open for additional players; also, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118474; also, some experienced players have been designated as 'Mentors' so look for that label under nations' names by their forum posts.

2. Different regions have different styles and may focus on different aspects of the overall game, and moving to a smaller region instead of just staying in the very large one where your nation was originally placed usually gives you a better chance to make your voice heard in regional affairs (unless you’ve moved into a dictatorship where the nations in control don’t tolerate any dissent) if that’s something you’d like.

3. The main ‘con’ is if you move into a region where it turns out you don’t really feel comfortable… but then it’s easy enough to move on again, anyhows. The only other problem is that smaller nations that don’t have active Founders can be vulnerable to “raids” by groups who think that it’s fun to go around seizing the WA Delegate position in as many regions as possible and then using that official’s authority to mess things up there for the native community.
:(

4. Swapping regions is as easy as making your first move, unless you’re trying to get into one that has a password set, and new nations moving about a bit before they find somewhere to settle down in the longer term is quite common. The only problem might be that if you move from a known “raiding” base then other people in the region to which you move might suspect you of being a raider agent and respond to you on that basis.

5. I’ve had fun making things up about this nation (see the nation’s factbooks, and my sig for some other links…), creating other nations with different styles (which is perfectly legal as long as a player doesn’t try to place more than one of their nations in the WA simultaneously, although using multiple nations in a single RP storyline might be frowned-on by the other players involved there …), working collaboratively with the other players who have nations in some of the same regions to design those regions’ RP backgrounds, sending entrants to events in the ‘NS Sports’ section of RP, drafting and passing General Assembly resolutions, and – most recently – drafting potential ‘issues’. How to do some of those things should be fairly obvious, I hope, and there are stickied threads in the relevant forum sections to provide guidance as well.

Zzyzzy wrote:So i wasting time, challenging random nations on the activity feed and suddenly, rather than getting a level up notification, it said i qualified for a speciality.

What exactly does this mean, how do i select or view or anything my specialities?

Choosing a trait as your speciality increases the chance of that trait being one of those used for comparison during a challenge, so designating a trait in which you have a high value (and for which you're therefore likely to win the comparison) effectively increases your chance of winning challenges.

Why are all the names taken already wrote:I'm a completley new player at this game. When I first read what this game was about I was so excited to get into it but I have no idea where to start! any tips would be helpful.

Thank you

Maybeso my advice to Maybud, further up this post, might be useful to you as well?
One hint, anyhows: You're currently in The Black Hawks, and that region has traditionally been strongly associated with the "raiding" side of things, so if you don't want to bea a "raider" then moving out to somewhere else before people start assuming that you are one because of that location might be a good idea...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 am

Maybud wrote:All right guys. I'm brand, brand new. Somebody on Imgur posted an ad for this saying that they had a lot of fun, and after they described it, I nodded and said "Yeah that sounds like fun to me too."

I've gotten so far as to making my nation and picking resolutions for the first 4 issues, and seeing a bajillion invites for regions.

So my questions are:

The two main options are to roleplay on the main NS board where you're reading this, or in a roleplaying region.

For this board the best place to start is probably http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19892365

Regional RPs have 2 main types: played on the Regional Message Board (RMB), or on their own off-site forum. The former are usually regions set up specifically to play out a specific story. The latter may have more than one RP ongoing.

To find RP regions, have a look at http://www.nationstates.net/page=tag_se ... ole_player

If you have a particular type of RP in mind, you might want to look at some of these tags...

Cyberpunk
Future Tech
- FT: FTL
- FT: FTLi
- FT: STL
Fantasy Tech
Human-Only
Magical
Outer Space
Past Tech
Post Apocalyptic
Post-Modern Tech
Steampunk

If you are not planning to get involved in the raider/defender aspect of the game (at least for now), I would suggest avoiding regions tagged
raider
defender
imperialist
mercenary
founderless

Some other tags which are not always RP oriented, but may be of interest:
Map
Parody
Sports
Surreal

You may also want to consider the size of the region. Large regions will often more overall activity and a range of other interests and activites. The better ones will have a support structure for newcomers. The downside is that you may well get lost in the crowd, and find it difficult to get to know who is who.
A small region may have more active individual players, but lower total activity. Some can be welcoming, others a bit cliquey. They may also demand a certain degree of commitment up-front.

Maybud wrote:2) What are the benefits of joining another region?

A chance to make friends, find activities you enjoy, learn more about the game, etc. Pretty much the same benefits as joining a "crowd" in real life.

Maybud wrote:3) Are there any cons to joining a region?

I can't think of any, other than the possibility of finding you don't like that region and moving on.

Maybud wrote:4) Is swapping a region easy or hard if I don't like the one I've selected? How careful does this decision have to be?

Very easy. People switch regions all the time. Its an accepted part of the game - nobody is going to object.
Particular regions may not like just anybody joining. Those which are serious about it will have a password.

Maybud wrote:5) How would you say, as an experienced player, you've gotten the most fun out of this game? How do I do that?

Mostly the friends I've made in Canada.

Shop around. Find a region with a compatible crowd and get involved.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Novia Scotion
Civilian

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Novia Scotion » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:20 am

Hi, um, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, er, stupid set of questions, but is there a way to reduce the way my nation reacts to my decisions on issues? Do reactions get less dramatic over time? Or are the reactions purposely this over the top?

ex:

Issue: Trial by Jury or by Duel?
Decision: Trial by Jury.
“People endure long arduous trials for the most trivial offences"
Political freedoms fell from Below Average to Some.

Again, sorry if this is just a stupid post and I'm wasting peoples' time by asking. Thank you for your time, by the way.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:33 am

Novia Scotion wrote:Hi, um, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, er, stupid set of questions, but is there a way to reduce the way my nation reacts to my decisions on issues? Do reactions get less dramatic over time? Or are the reactions purposely this over the top?

ex:

Issue: Trial by Jury or by Duel?
Decision: Trial by Jury.
“People endure long arduous trials for the most trivial offences"
Political freedoms fell from Below Average to Some.

Again, sorry if this is just a stupid post and I'm wasting peoples' time by asking. Thank you for your time, by the way.

The longer your nation has been around, the less a single issue with influence it (except one that is either yes or no, like banning cars) - so the reactions get semi less dramatic over time as your population increases and your nation begins to drift one way. But they're meant to be over the top, this was initially a satirical promotion for a book and the issue editors try and keep the NS brand of humour alive through the issues. It doesn't work for everyone, but it isn't getting changed and generally that small segment move on anyway. The only stupid question is the unasked one (just be sure to stick it in the right place so the mods don't swoop down).
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Lenotvija
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Question

Postby Lenotvija » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:02 am

If I posted this in the wrong place, cause i didint know where to post this.

I wanted to ask how can I increase my gained population per day. I heard people get 5-7 Million per day.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:18 am

The rate of increase increases as a new nation ages, and reaches 5-7 million per day (which is the maximum) after just a few weeks.
This means that you gain approximately 2 billion people per year.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Lenotvija
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenotvija » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:19 am

thanks!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay