NATION

PASSWORD

Gameplay Advice Thread - We're here to help!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Western States of America
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United Western States of America » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:30 am

Okay, this is rather embarrassing because I've done it successfully before without (much) trouble, but I cannot find the recruitment tab anywhere on the nation page; the one that NS++ gives you. Isn't it accessable by the founder at all times? Or did that feature get removed?

Also, is it possible that I'm looking in the wrong place? I scoured all throughout the regional controls and the home page, so this is getting pretty frustrating.

Here's a screenshot so y'all can see what I mean.
Last edited by United Western States of America on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Coming soon
ن In Solidarity with Middle Eastern Christians ن
Proud member and founder of The Other Reality
Interested in a RP-based region? Check us out here!
NS stats are guidlines and should not be taken as fact!

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:51 pm

For NS++ help, ask in the NS++ thread in Technical.

United Western States of America
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United Western States of America » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Sedgistan wrote:For NS++ help, ask in the NS++ thread in Technical.

Will do, thanks.
National Information
Coming soon
ن In Solidarity with Middle Eastern Christians ن
Proud member and founder of The Other Reality
Interested in a RP-based region? Check us out here!
NS stats are guidlines and should not be taken as fact!

Qt Trap Elfs
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Qt Trap Elfs » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:59 am

Are all religion issues by default hinted to be about christians vs all others by default? I created theocracy in which there's my custom religion(haven't explained it yet in factbook) and it's highly spiritual nation, but today I was confronted with religious issue about homosexual teacher. On the one hand my country is religious, but at the same time it's religion that actually encourages homosexuality so I don't know anymore. If all religious issues are by default made to be nationstates christian equivalent then maybe I should just drop spirituality and keep it only on RP level.

Fin Dovah Junaar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fin Dovah Junaar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 am

Qt Trap Elfs wrote:Are all religion issues by default hinted to be about christians vs all others by default? I created theocracy in which there's my custom religion(haven't explained it yet in factbook) and it's highly spiritual nation, but today I was confronted with religious issue about homosexual teacher. On the one hand my country is religious, but at the same time it's religion that actually encourages homosexuality so I don't know anymore. If all religious issues are by default made to be nationstates christian equivalent then maybe I should just drop spirituality and keep it only on RP level.

You'll get that, in my option very little though was put into issues about religion, all christian based.

But its understandable
Please Refer to my Nation as Anor Ostrum
Factbook: IntroductionKingdomsMapThe Three PillarsPontiff Godwyne the WiseTriviaOOC Notes
The Eternal Kingdom of the Flame
"And so, it is that ash seekth embers, and renew the old accord, for all that has been, shall be once more."

Techs: Medieval (Slightly Mixed) - Dark Fantasy Nation - Ashes

Qt Trap Elfs
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Qt Trap Elfs » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:25 am

Fin Dovah Junaar wrote:You'll get that, in my option very little though was put into issues about religion, all christian based.

But its understandable

Shame, guess I'll just RP spiritual aspect.

Thanks for answer.

Cyan City
Civilian

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Regarding becoming a Regional Delegate

Postby Cyan City » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Okay, I'm pretty sure this has been answered before, but how does someone become a regional delegate, in particular without a current administrator? I have an endorsement already, but I am unsure of how to do it, and our founder has ceased to exist.

Thanks.

Deanson
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Deanson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:25 pm

I need help on this issue:

#379: Stakes On A Plane

The Issue
With global travel soaring, the country's primary airport, @@CAPITAL@@ International, has reached full capacity. Interested parties are queuing up to share their thoughts on what should be done.

The Debate
1. "We won't be 'International' for long without a capacity increase," laments Transport Minister @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ while wringing her hands. "If we want to remain a global hub, we need another runway and we need it now. We'll have to bulldoze a few houses to clear room, but just think of the @@CURRENCY@@ we'll make from all those passengers."

2. "Our quality of life is what matters," bellows nearby resident @@RANDOMNAME@@ over the noise of a landing jet. "Why do we even want to be a hub, with all that noise and pollution? What we need is even stricter limits on planes flying over residential areas. And if that means a few planes have to land elsewhere, then much the better."

3. "There's no need to destroy people's lives just for a new runway", parries @@RANDOMNAME@@, Under-Secretary of State for Creative Solutions, "but nor do we need to turn planes away. Why not build an entirely new airport, in the Orilenyo Flow estuary? The planes can fly over the sea, and a bullet train can take passengers to the city centre. Everyone wins - well except for the local wildlife, but what's a @@ANIMAL@@ to you or me?"

I really want to make a decision, but I'm too unsure on what to pick, mainly the gravity of each choice. The main thing I want to do is increase my civil rights whilst keeping my economy/political freedoms the same, and also keeping/lowering my tax rate. It seems like option 1 will increase the economy, possibly decrease taxes, but also decrease civil freedom. It seems like option 2 will do the opposite of that. And I would pick option 3, but in playing NationStates for a while I've come to realize the "compromise" options usually result in pretty major effects in regards to the debuff whilst not including much of, if at all, of the positives of the previous two (e.g., while 1 would increase my economy and 2 would increase civil rights, 3 would accomplish both but all it would likely do is decrease my environmental rating). Obviously I'm still just guessing, which is why I've come here to see if anyone can clarify this.

Not sure if it belongs here, but its a thread dedicated to gameplay help, so hopefully I'm fine.

EDIT: I've just taken notice of the Got Issues? forum that would be much better suited to this, sorry for the interruption! :blush:
Last edited by Deanson on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance."

My canon Factbooks, including a map of the Planet of Terra.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Cyan City wrote:Okay, I'm pretty sure this has been answered before, but how does someone become a regional delegate, in particular without a current administrator? I have an endorsement already, but I am unsure of how to do it, and our founder has ceased to exist.

Thanks.

The person with the most endorsements will become regional delegate next update. Updates are placed at 12AM and 12PM EST.

If a Founder is not present, the WA Delegate has unlimited control of the Administration page and gets all the power of a Founder, but at the cost of Influence.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Max Barrys Nation
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Max Barrys Nation » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:21 pm

How do I invade? Hm

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Max Barrys Nation wrote:How do I invade? Hm

You move into a founderless region and seize the delegacy by having more endorsements than anyone else in said region. At that point, you will have control over the region's administration and you can abuse it as you wish. Remember that in order to get and receive endorsements, you must be in the WA and you can only control one WA nation at a time (this means that you will need at least one other person to invade with you).
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Max Barrys Nation
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Max Barrys Nation » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Benevolent Tom, can you speak English please?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Max Barrys Nation wrote:Benevolent Tom, can you speak English please?

http://www.nationstates.net/page=faq

Doesn't seem like you read this, we are all fluent in Gameplay here, and can't really find better ways to explain these kinds of things. You should get a general understanding of what BT said by reading or skimming through the Gameplay section.

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Max Barrys Nation wrote:Benevolent Tom, can you speak English please?

Sorry about that. I'm currently drafting a new Guide to Military Gameplay which I hope will better help nations such as yourself understand how invasions work. Try reading this for now and see if that helps: viewtopic.php?p=21269284#p21269284 . That is from the original guide written by Nephmir.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

The Empire of Masyaf
Attaché

Founded: Mar 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Masyaf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:00 pm

What is flaming?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:12 pm

The Empire of Masyaf wrote:What is flaming?

Question better suited for Moderation, this isn't the General or Moderation help thread. This is specifically the GP help thread.
Anyway, as per request, I link you to the definition's location, The One Stop Rules Shop, where you should've checked first. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=260044

The Empire of Masyaf
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Masyaf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Valrifell wrote:
The Empire of Masyaf wrote:What is flaming?

Question better suited for Moderation, this isn't the General or Moderation help thread. This is specifically the GP help thread.
Anyway, as per request, I link you to the definition's location, The One Stop Rules Shop, where you should've checked first. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=260044

Sorry I didn't know there was a difference. Thanks!

The Empire of Masyaf
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Masyaf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 pm

If a nation has a lot of influence in a region then goes inactive, would they have that influence if they were refounded?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:14 pm

The Empire of Masyaf wrote:If a nation has a lot of influence in a region then goes inactive, would they have that influence if they were refounded?

Yes. Although influence decays for dead nations.

The Empire of Masyaf
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Masyaf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:01 pm

thanks

Khazrihistal
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Khazrihistal » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:37 pm

I am new here. I started a nation, then a region, then another "puppet" nation. I address the couple of issues daily I recieve but it seems like I am not really getting anywhere. I am looking into trying some more active recruiting but it seems like I am not really doing anything. It seems like I should be changing laws and policies whenever I want and as many as I want. And if my economy is dead I should be able to do more to fix it as quickly as possible. I am going to assume that I am going to get a response on how I should read up on the thread for newbies but I did this somewhat, like for region building etc....
I figure this game may be kinda slow paced and you just DO NOT get to micro-manage in the way I want to.
So what do I do? Just have patience?
Thanks

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:45 am

Khazrihistal wrote:I am new here. I started a nation, then a region, then another "puppet" nation. I address the couple of issues daily I recieve but it seems like I am not really getting anywhere. I am looking into trying some more active recruiting but it seems like I am not really doing anything. It seems like I should be changing laws and policies whenever I want and as many as I want. And if my economy is dead I should be able to do more to fix it as quickly as possible. I am going to assume that I am going to get a response on how I should read up on the thread for newbies but I did this somewhat, like for region building etc....
I figure this game may be kinda slow paced and you just DO NOT get to micro-manage in the way I want to.
So what do I do? Just have patience?
Thanks

NationStates isn't about micro-management, it never really was. As the FAQ puts it:

FAQ wrote:Many people have suggested a more sophisticated version of NationStates, with trade and military conflicts, but this is unlikely, as it would fundamentally change who we are. At its core, NationStates is a political game, not a wargame.

FAQ wrote:...because it's a simple game, and because they would bias things in favor of militaristic and capitalist nations. One of the nice things about NationStates is that you can craft a nation into your idea of Utopia without having to worry about such pragmatic concerns as national defence.

However, you can micro-manage your nation, in a way. Just without the handy use of game mechanics. For this, you should try Roleplaying in one of the designated Nation In-Character subforums, which should be the top five or four you see when going to the Forums. Changing policies is a different thing, a real government wouldn't get the opportunity to just randomly change policies of nobody was complaining about them (yet), or at least, that's one way of justifying it. But, again, since the Forums and the Game aren't connected, you're free to basically shape your nation anyway you want via the Roleplaying forums and factbooks.

Recruitment is a bit hard these days (apparently) because now you can spend money to get stamps, which effectively allow for practically limitless telegrams to be sent out at once. The best I can help you with in that regard is think of your region as a glorified message board, or more accurately, a small community within a larger one. This means you're going to have to attract like-minded people or the curious. Make your recruitment telegrams interesting and captivating, have a cool looking World Factbook Entry, and have a pretty cool theme/gimmick. Though, mostly, the key to a successful region these days is telegrams and recruitment that way. Just get your region's name out there in any way possible, within the confines of the rules, of course.)

Need anymore advice on regionbuilding, there's a nifty thread Here.

Khazrihistal
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Khazrihistal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that's how it was. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.
Could I trouble some one for a link or something to the best area that describes the Dispatches, Factbooks, etc? I haven't found much good info about them.
Sorry if these are dumb questions but we all started out this way right?
Thanks

I think I might have found some good info now but please do give me any and all advice on the subject.
Thanks
Last edited by Khazrihistal on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Khazrihistal wrote:Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that's how it was. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.
Could I trouble some one for a link or something to the best area that describes the Dispatches, Factbooks, etc? I haven't found much good info about them.
Sorry if these are dumb questions but we all started out this way right?
Thanks

I think I might have found some good info now but please do give me any and all advice on the subject.
Thanks

There's a guide here, written by Lord Barry himself, so one can assume it's at least half trustworthy. Here's one for making swankier factbooks. I can't really give you more on design since it is easier for me to link to two easily detestable and easy-to-follow guides. When you decide to write a dispatch, a little notice at the top should let you know what each of the categories are for, and the sub-categories should be pretty self-explanatory.

Militaires San Frontiere
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Militaires San Frontiere » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:05 pm

little question: what happens when all stats of my nation (civ rights, economy, political freedoms) went down to 0? :eyebrow:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay