NATION

PASSWORD

Gameplay Mentors

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jeffersonborg
Attaché

Founded: Dec 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeffersonborg » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:34 pm

I don't mind the idea.

Then again, I want people to finally get over their unhealthy attraction to the idea of "regions" and just swear fealty to the gameplay forum...

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:I thought of something else too, or perhaps just a better way to express my earlier ideas.

In RP'ing, or any writing, there's a fairly generally accepted standard of what is "correct" and "good quality." In gameplay, there's just so much variance. Good writing is good writing, but what's good GP'ing? Ask a few people, and you're liable to get a few different answers. Tagging? Occupations? Detagging? Liberations? Mixtures? Having a structured government? Having a purely military focus?

In addition, we've kind of been leaving out non- R&D facets of Gameplay. "Talk about nation management, regional politics, and why llamas are a cooler national animal than squirrels." We get recruitment threads, "new region X!" threads, news threads, etc. Those actually might be more open to a mentor program.... Somebody willing to help you effectively display your region. You can argue the necessity, but I think there's a lot more potential there than in an R/D mentor.

Good GP is for me:

- Getting the stats I want on my nation.
- Developing and maintaining a secure,vibrant and fun regional community
The Blaatschapen should resign

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:Good GP is for me:

That's the kind of thing that mentors for region-building type facets of gameplay culd help with. It'd be more possible, if not incredibly likely, whereas what's basically R/D mentors are probably never going to happen :P
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Riftend
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 pm

I must ask - if this does get implemented how do we think the gameplay mentors would be chosen?
About Me
True Neutral
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Freedom is not a right - but a privilege provided through citizenship
------------------------------Raider------------------------------
| CoF Foreign Relations | Riftend's Factbook | CoF Overview |

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:24 pm

It would be nice to see GP focused more on region/community building and less on R/D, and if we saw some kind of mentor program take shape, any mentoring could be done in that department. A lot of people don't realize just how difficult it is to build a lasting community in NS, and that a lot of new regions start by picking a side in R/D right away probably slows them down a ton.

We probably don't need mentors, but maybe it would be a good idea to add a sequel of sorts to the "How to build a region" post that explores techniques that others have used with success. Plenty of people come up with great ideas, but so many of them fail due to the same pitfalls.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 pm

I agree with Shizensky. It is so hard to build a region and keep it going. When I built mine last year I managed to recruit 50 nations, but they were all new players and it is surprisingly difficult to keep them interested in a region. Once you've educated them on the basics of the game they abandon you and join communities that are already large and stable. A few tips to prevent that would be quite nice for those of us that would like to start our own region.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm

The reality is that a mentor would need to be trustworthy. Given the random threads in Gameplay boasting of how refounds are stolen or regions taken over by sharing access to the founder due to misplaced trust I would have to say a GP mentor is a terrible idea.
Bottom line is invaders cannot be trusted. You all know that already, it is the nature of the beast.

You would also need a division....INVADER gameplay mentor DEFENDER gameplay mentor NEUTRAL gameplay mentor.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Riftend
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:35 am

Shizensky wrote:It would be nice to see GP focused more on region/community building and less on R/D, and if we saw some kind of mentor program take shape, any mentoring could be done in that department. A lot of people don't realize just how difficult it is to build a lasting community in NS, and that a lot of new regions start by picking a side in R/D right away probably slows them down a ton.

We probably don't need mentors, but maybe it would be a good idea to add a sequel of sorts to the "How to build a region" post that explores techniques that others have used with success. Plenty of people come up with great ideas, but so many of them fail due to the same pitfalls.

I can see what you mean by the R/D comment. I think though it is very hard for any region not to get involved in the R/D scene. I know here at me region we immediately jumped to the Raider side but I wouldn't call us a raiding group by a long shot. I think mentors are a must for atleast region building.

Also I am currently working on a region building and running guide which I hope will be helpful to the NS community.

The Church of Satan wrote:I agree with Shizensky. It is so hard to build a region and keep it going. When I built mine last year I managed to recruit 50 nations, but they were all new players and it is surprisingly difficult to keep them interested in a region. Once you've educated them on the basics of the game they abandon you and join communities that are already large and stable. A few tips to prevent that would be quite nice for those of us that would like to start our own region.

Recruitment techniques are developed over time I've noticed. When I first started recruiting around the beginning of the year I noticed how had it was to get some recruits. Than over time I did it more and realised what was efficient and what wasn't.

Now I own a region of nearly 300, very active RMB, large government and much more - we aren't even three months old yet. :)

Sichuan Pepper wrote:The reality is that a mentor would need to be trustworthy. Given the random threads in Gameplay boasting of how refounds are stolen or regions taken over by sharing access to the founder due to misplaced trust I would have to say a GP mentor is a terrible idea.
Bottom line is invaders cannot be trusted. You all know that already, it is the nature of the beast.

You would also need a division....INVADER gameplay mentor DEFENDER gameplay mentor NEUTRAL gameplay mentor.

I don't get what is wrong with the refounds and all the rest - if people were more cautious it wouldn't occur. Not sure if people recall but I committed the GDU incident - 2 months in a region until we got access to the shared admin account. I know for sure I wouldn't like it myself but these things happen. I think this is why gameplay mentors would be useful.

I for one would be pushing people away from shared admin accounts and teaching them on how to effectively refound. However I doubt people deep into raiding would help people out in avoiding these events. I guess you would need people who know what they are doing but aren't a majorly involved in raiding.

Diversifying it does sounds good. I think rathe than a neutral mentor we should have a region building mentor. Focus would be teaching people how to recruit effectively, set up a region, developing a community, running regional events, regional government and much much more.
About Me
True Neutral
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:42 am

When the original II Mentor program was set up, the idea of mentors for each forum/community was considered, including Gameplay. They were decided against then, and I haven't seen anything that would change that decision.

There's a number of factors to consider:
  • Gameplay differs notably from roleplay in that the latter is collaborative (you can simply ignore another player/group and they can't affect you), whereas gameplay is competitive. That's not to say that gameplayers don't co-operate, but a fundamental part of it is competition between groups. We'd either have to have Mentors that were entirely neutral (good luck finding those) or the program would be dogged by constant accusations that Mentor X is recruiting for their region, or Mentor Y is pushing the imperialist/invader/defender/independent/feederite/francoist/bi-gameplayer/codgerite cause. Moderators don't involve themselves in the game as mods, but we still get "fendamod" and "raidermod" accusations thrown around; Mentors would have to be involved in the game as Mentors to be able to do their job, so we'd have that, just turned up to 11. That would also require an inordinate amount of modly time spent monitoring the program.
  • Mentoring already exists. Roleplay (or at least II/P2TM roleplay) is primarily forum-based. Gameplayers are region (or org) based. Any region worth their salt already mentors newcomers. Many even have dedicated programs of their own to get this done.
  • I think we'd struggle to get a team of good Mentors. There are gameplayers around who would be excellent at mentoring (Ananke is an example that springs to mind), but most of them are doing it already - and probably have the common sense to not subject themselves to the inevitable abuse that official Mentors would get. There are plenty who would be happy to have the shiny badge, fancy colour and perceived sense of authority, but they're not necessarily the people that would be good at the job. We've seen the attempted mission-creep from existing Roleplay Mentors, and I have no desire to see Gameplay Mentors set themselves up as "representatives of the community", leveraging their position for influence, or attempting to mini-mod.
  • There's nothing stopping any of you going and mentoring newcomers. If someone posts in the Gameplay forum and doesn't seem to know what's going on, post some advice in their thread, or send a friendly telegram offering help. Those that have been volunteering to be Mentors - do you do this already, and if so, why not?

(I've left nation-building (i.e. stats, issues and so on) out of this, as that works differently to region-based gameplay.)

Shizensky wrote:We probably don't need mentors, but maybe it would be a good idea to add a sequel of sorts to the "How to build a region" post that explores techniques that others have used with success. Plenty of people come up with great ideas, but so many of them fail due to the same pitfalls.

The existing stickies are getting dated. If someone wants to have a bash at re-doing any of them, I'm more than willing to consider changing the stickies around. If you're going to do that, I'd suggest dropping Naivetry a telegram first to see if she's okay with her stuff being re-used (or is willing to have authorship of the posts transferred to another player).

Riftend
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:48 am

Sedgistan wrote:The existing stickies are getting dated. If someone wants to have a bash at re-doing any of them, I'm more than willing to consider changing the stickies around. If you're going to do that, I'd suggest dropping Naivetry a telegram first to see if she's okay with her stuff being re-used (or is willing to have authorship of the posts transferred to another player).

Would you mind if I had a shot at re-writing the "How to build a region" sticky? ^-^

I personally feel that a mentor around the running of regions should be available above raiding and defending at the very least. Raiding and defending can be as simple as reading a guide and than going on a few raids/defends with a group. However running a region is constantly changing and needing assistance.
About Me
True Neutral
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:34 am

You don't need permission to have a go at re-writing a sticky (or writing a new one); we just won't guarantee that your thread will actually be stickied - it depends on the quality, comprehensiveness, and if we're confident the poster will keep it updated.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:07 am

Frattastan II wrote:DYP is in his own list of people you should ignore.

I'm top of my own list :D

The most sensible GP posters who should be Mentors are the ones who barely post but are still known. The rest of us are just windbags fighting over a very small soapbox.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Riftend
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 am

Sedgistan wrote:You don't need permission to have a go at re-writing a sticky (or writing a new one); we just won't guarantee that your thread will actually be stickied - it depends on the quality, comprehensiveness, and if we're confident the poster will keep it updated.

Good - I'll start on it in an hour or so :)
About Me
True Neutral
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:50 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:Good GP is for me:

In my experience, the first is easy. The second is very difficult, especially the "maintaining" part.

Shizensky wrote:It would be nice to see GP focused more on region/community building and less on R/D, and if we saw some kind of mentor program take shape, any mentoring could be done in that department. A lot of people don't realize just how difficult it is to build a lasting community in NS, and that a lot of new regions start by picking a side in R/D right away probably slows them down a ton.

The concept is easy to impart, and I could write a "how to" in one paragraph. The problem with that is there is no one-sized fit all approach to region-building. What to do depends on what kind of region one wants to build. Sure, all of it starts from "recruiting". But how one writes the recruiting telegram, how fast one recruits, who one recruits (e.g. feeders or sinkers? Target recruit or catch-em-all?), how often one recruits, what nation the telegram is sent from, all of that affect the outcome. And that's just for recruiting.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:27 am

Okay- I will attempt to transfer my raiding guide onto the forums, while removing the TEK bias and updating the information to reflect a more accurate GP experience. That may take awhile :p
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Riftend
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:55 am

I suppose we all lost interest in the matter? :[
About Me
True Neutral
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 am

Riftend wrote:I suppose we all lost interest in the matter? :[

Nah, I think its a great idea. As Fristbeeteria said, nothing is stopping us from becoming mentors or naming ourselves mentors. So I think that we have Nephmir be a Raiding Mentor, lets see, well, the Defender Mentor position is open, Newspaper Mentors could be Unibot, and Recruitment Mentors can be me and Riftend, because be both have loads of experiance recruiting, me over 2 years, rift. I dont know, but a lot
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

The Sapientia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2013
Corporate Police State

Postby The Sapientia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 am

Canton Empire wrote:
Riftend wrote:I suppose we all lost interest in the matter? :[

Nah, I think its a great idea. As Fristbeeteria said, nothing is stopping us from becoming mentors or naming ourselves mentors. So I think that we have Nephmir be a Raiding Mentor, lets see, well, the Defender Mentor position is open, Newspaper Mentors could be Unibot, and Recruitment Mentors can be me and Riftend, because be both have loads of experiance recruiting, me over 2 years, rift. I dont know, but a lot

1. Nephmir is much too inexperienced to become a mentor. I'm not saying this in a condensending way, because I too, am also inexperienced.
2. We've got way more suitable fenda candidates than raiders.
3. Unibot? Really?
4. You didn't even manage to get 10 members in your region. And Rift uses shit-loads of money to recruit.
BoM Veteran Assassin | Former MoMA of the South Pacific | Former Chief Justice of the West Pacific | TNP Security Officer
Obvious Threat to Regional Security

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 am

Having official Gameplay mentors on the forums here would be mostly pointless, as any raiding or defending organization worth their salt has their own in-house mentors that teach newbies how to get involved.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 am

Speaking simply off the cuff, I agree with my colleague, United Gordontopia; the main difficulty I see with such an idea is the lack of a universal goal to work towards, and any sort of unified standard that Mentors could help others work towards. Sure, everyone wants an active region, but that's really not a forumside activity; that's mainly to do with OSFs and regional management/the RMB, which having forumside masks for seems a bit pointless in the pursuit of. More experienced GPers certainly have wisdom to share with newcomers, but that wisdom is generally of a dual nature, and as such means any Gameplay Mentors would necessarily have issues with instructing new members in the art of R/D; as a P2TM Mentor I can talk about specific examples with newcomers or individuals who come to me for help, and even create instances and work through problems with their RPing in a give-and-take manner. R/D is far more of a "learn by doing" environment, and, as others have said, that would render Gameplay Mentors down to merely being talking guides.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Gameplay is a bit more than "learn by doing".

New players need guides, and while it is true that every "region worth their salt already mentors newcomers", as Sedge put it, it is extremely hard for newcomer to get into the swing of things when starting their own region. Just like Role Play, it is fairly easy to just jump into an active Gameplay region and get involved but near impossible to make your own if you have no idea what you're doing.

Newcomers to Gameplay need mentoring, especially if they want to start off on their own from the get-go. Sure, they can always join some Defender organization or Raider region first, spend months learning the ropes, the insides and outs, develop an attachment to the region and never leave it and...oh wait, that's the situation we have now. This is why new GP groups/regions are so rare, especially Defenders, who require more individual training (spotting, puppet tracking, update times) but slightly less team building than Crashers.

Current, if you want to make a new defender org and aren't already an experienced defender then forget about it, there is too much to it for you to learn on your own. However, if we had mentors that were not attached to specific groups or regions, like Role Play has, we might actually see new players starting their own groups and have a much more interesting and active Gameplay dynamic. After all, isn't that why the Role Play mentor program was started? Why should it be declared that it works for Role Play but not for Gameplay?
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Riftend
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:33 pm

The Sapientia wrote:4. You didn't even manage to get 10 members in your region. And Rift uses shit-loads of money to recruit.

That made me laugh so hard. I actually haven't used that much - In stamps just for CoF it'd be like $30 so far. Plus another $15 in two days. Well lets say $45 than in three months.

I would like to think I am a pretty god recruiter :)

However no - I don't think I would be a good mentor
About Me
True Neutral
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Burning Heads
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Burning Heads » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:Current, if you want to make a new defender org and aren't already an experienced defender then forget about it, there is too much to it for you to learn on your own. However, if we had mentors that were not attached to specific groups or regions, like Role Play has, we might actually see new players starting their own groups and have a much more interesting and active Gameplay dynamic. After all, isn't that why the Role Play mentor program was started? Why should it be declared that it works for Role Play but not for Gameplay?

It doesn't help that the first thing that happens when somebody declares themselves a defender region is that they are beset by raider spies and trolls.

Venico
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Defenders did the same thing to Raider Orgs when they were still alive. ;)
Priest of Raider Unity

Raider Unity, Maintain a Founder, Sign a Treaty

Malice Never Dies...

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Milograd infiltrated the original TEK.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay