NATION

PASSWORD

What does "Imperialist" tag mean?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Nordic States and Territories
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

What does "Imperialist" tag mean?

Postby Nordic States and Territories » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

I've heard the term tossed around in talk of R/D, but I don't get what it means. Does it refer to a certain type of regional ideology? Thanks.
sigs are hard

Space Dandy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Dandy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Nordic States and Territories wrote:I've heard the term tossed around in talk of R/D, but I don't get what it means. Does it refer to a certain type of regional ideology? Thanks.

Yes it does.

Check this out: viewtopic.php?p=12554740#p12554740

Part II: viewtopic.php?p=14715474#p14715474

I'll linkify anything else I find, but this one essay is written by Charles Cerebella a long time Imperialist. Other Imperialists can answer any questions you still have.
Last edited by Space Dandy on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordic States and Territories » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:31 pm

So in short, an imperialist is one who wants to extend their regions power beyond their region itself through inter-regional politics like alliances and merges. They'll raid and defend according to need, not ideology.
sigs are hard

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Nordic States and Territories wrote:So in short, an imperialist is one who wants to extend their regions power beyond their region itself through inter-regional politics like alliances and merges. They'll raid and defend according to need, not ideology.

Indeed; that is how I understand it.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordic States and Territories » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 pm

It's a strange tag for how vague and open for interpretation it is.
sigs are hard

Aperi
Attaché

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aperi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:46 pm

It's even more strange when you factor in the "Independents" :meh:
Aperi
Patriot of Lazarus
Comrade Protector

My other nation is Karpathos
“Our game is being turned into a filthy and evil-smelling imperialist barrack.

Space Dandy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Dandy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Aperi wrote:It's even more strange when you factor in the "Independents" :meh:

I had come to the conclusion that Imperialism was a sub-branch of Independence, which some Imperialists recognized as true, given the similarities.

Though Independence is more akin to how some of the GCRs act, which isn't entirely the same as The LKE & TNI, etc.

South Pacific Belschaft
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Belschaft » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Space Dandy wrote:
Aperi wrote:It's even more strange when you factor in the "Independents" :meh:

I had come to the conclusion that Imperialism was a sub-branch of Independence, which some Imperialists recognized as true, given the similarities.

Though Independence is more akin to how some of the GCRs act, which isn't entirely the same as The LKE & TNI, etc.

Broadly speaking Imperialism is a sub-type of Independence, with a greater emphasis on projecting power. Both Independents and Imperialists reject R/D as simplistic and pointless, and believe that foreign and military policy should be determined by regional interest. They will both raid, liberate, defend, etc depending on the unique circumstances of each region in question. Imperialists tend to be more aggressive and place greater importance on their militaries.

Historically Imperialism developed first, with Independence emerging as a major force in 2012 due to greater GCR military activity. Prior to that Europeia was the principal Independent region of note.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BELSCHAFT
GUARDIAN OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

With the cooperation of Federation Forces, all of your bases now belong to us.

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Nordic States and Territories wrote:So in short, an imperialist is one who wants to extend their regions power beyond their region itself through inter-regional politics like alliances and merges. They'll raid and defend according to need, not ideology.

No, that's being independent. And being independent and imperialist are not the same thing.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Whiskum
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskum » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Funkadelia wrote:

No, that's being independent. And being independent and imperialist are not the same thing.

On the contrary, proactively seeking to expand and project your region's power over other regions (which is the first part of the definition proffered by Nordic States and Territories), is more characteristic of a region which is specifically imperialist. Of course, you might say many regions seek to increase their power relative to other regions, but extending your region's power is a core focus and typically takes an aggressive form within imperialist regions.

Beyond that, imperialist regions reject raiding and defending for their own sake, hence why imperialist regions are also independent regions.

On the other hand, not all regions which are independent regions by that definition have the characteristics we associate with the imperialist tradition.

Independence and imperialism are not the same thing, but as others have already said, that is because imperialism is a sub-variant.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, Basileus Emeritus of Polis, etc.

Prince of Jomsborg, of Balder

Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordic States and Territories » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks for the thorough explanation Whiskum. However, what of the gray area between imperialism and independents? All regions (except for isolationists I guess) seek to grow themselves in some form. If the only difference is that imperialists place a certain emphasis on it, that would suggest there is a sort of scale. You have extremist imperialists who are aggressive about expansion, extremist independents who are apathetic. Is there a term for moderates, or do they just fall on either side? And if the latter is the case, where do you draw the line?
sigs are hard

Whiskum
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskum » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Nordic States and Territories wrote:Thanks for the thorough explanation Whiskum. However, what of the gray area between imperialism and independents? All regions (except for isolationists I guess) seek to grow themselves in some form. If the only difference is that imperialists place a certain emphasis on it, that would suggest there is a sort of scale.

In terms of the gray area, it should be clarified seeking to expand and project power over other regions is more than simply seeking regional growth. Every region may seek to further its own development and independent regions have a self-interested foreign policy, but that is not the same as orientating a region towards becoming a geopolitical power which sets strategic objectives for expanding that power and where appropriate wields this power externally.

Of course, your point stands that to an extent the differences between independence and imperialism might be regarded as differences of emphasis. However, while that may be true as a description of their activities, independence and imperialism also grew out of different historical traditions.

Moreover, those differences of emphasis define their way of doing business, affecting their internal political culture (compare the experience of being a citizen of Europeia to being a citizen of TNI) and perhaps most crucially how they relate to other regions: so at the end of the day they matter quite a lot.

Nordic States and Territories wrote:You have extremist imperialists who are aggressive about expansion, extremist independents who are apathetic. Is there a term for moderates, or do they just fall on either side? And if the latter is the case, where do you draw the line?

It may be a difference of emphasis, but I am not sure it is one of a sliding spectrum which different regions can be neatly placed on.

That said,in terms of drawing a line, ultimately at the margin (and within reason - ultimately there are aspects which either can or cannot be identified in regions which are seeking to expand and project power) self-definition is important - both because the activities of imperialist regions require a consciousness and because of the social effect this has. As to whether a region defines in this way or can do so, there are strong practical elements to this - imperialism as well as being a descriptor for a type of behaviour also lends its name to the imperialist sphere of regions with its history and alliances.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, Basileus Emeritus of Polis, etc.

Prince of Jomsborg, of Balder

Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Balder Statsminister