NATION

PASSWORD

UPDATE: Open Letter to Goob about NSwiki.net

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

95X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NSwiki.net

Postby 95X » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:22 pm

95X signs.
Todd McCloud wrote:If no means of obtaining this data exist, we instead ask for an explanation as to why the data is now unaccessible. It is our hope this is not the case, but if it is, we will accept it and move on.
If the data is no longer available for any reason (including, but not limited to: hardware/software failure, destroyed/blanked by spammers, copyright issues, legal issues, financial issues, disputes of any nature), I can simply accept "The data is no longer available."

Josh Sebastian
Secretary

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Josh Sebastian » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26 am

signs
Theoden Sebastian
Prime Minister of The Land of Kings and Emperors
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Balder
Deshret Councilor and Former Chief Elder of Osiris

Pey
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:27 am

Sign me up.
Winner of the 2014 NSG World Fair TriWrathlon
Embassy Program
This is just filler so I can have another line in my sig.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Well, I have an update, everyone.

It appears the data is indeed lost. Two backups were made: a 2008 copy, which is currently being hosted, and a 2013 copy. The 2013 copy is truncated right up to the article text, meaning that the users, edit history, even deleted pages are all in the database. The actual article text itself, however, is not. To put things in perspective, the 2008 copy goes up to revision #336004. The 2013 copy would have included all revisions, up to #704183. This means most revisions are lost. As far as I and a few others feel, it appears that the wiki is lost.

Please do not get angry at the people involved - that's not productive. Unless a miracle happens, we're stuck with what we have. We have a new wiki now, and it will probably be hosted by NS itself, which is cool. There are also a handful of pages that still exist on the archive.org website, which may provide useful to you.

I'm sorry to have to bring you this news, but in the end it's best we found out the truth rather than be stuck in limbo.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 pm

I've provided some links that might be helpful if you're trying to convert what's left of the wiki over to the new one:

* Current Nswiki site
* 2008 nswiki backup
* Archive.org page captures
* NSwiki image database. It's still intact, so you can lift all your images from it.
* Convert html to wiki format. Might be helpful if you saved your pages as a webpage.
Last edited by Todd McCloud on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:49 am

Doesn't this fit better in one of the RP fora or NSG?

Too bad a lot was lost,but new beginnings and better quality is nice - plus better stability now NS hosts the data themself
Formerly known as Port Blood
Elke and Elba wrote:Well Mall, you want Haven? I'd want your Joint Systems Alliance badge, then.
Discoveria wrote:Port blood is a raider through and through. Honest.
Tim-Opolis wrote:The Salt Mines will be fueled for months by the tears of silly fascists.
Sedgistan wrote:Attempted threadjack on sandwiches and satanism removed.
[4:27 PM] Antigone: Port Blood = Gameplay Jesus
Former foreign Minister of gay
Current community leader in charge of foreign affairs of gay
ex corporal in The Black Hawks

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 am

Thank you Todd, for this open letter and its role in helping get the facts straight. It's unfortunate the wiki is lost, but at least now we know that it's lost instead of being stuck in a state of unknowing.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Is there not a way to transfer the info from Wayback onto another site? If the 2008 archive could be transferred to create the NSwiki archive, then surely the archive.org data could also be transferred to a more permanent locale?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Is there not a way to transfer the info from Wayback onto another site? If the 2008 archive could be transferred to create the NSwiki archive, then surely the archive.org data could also be transferred to a more permanent locale?

I think the thing is the 2008 stuff is based on a backup mediawiki database that's complete, hence why they were able to do the archive.nswiki.org site. The 2013 mediawiki file does not contain article text, and all that's really left of it is on the wayback machine.

The only thing I've found useful is saving the wayback articles in html, copying the source to a place that converts html to wiki (like this) and sort of ironing out the rest to make the article look presentable. But it's kind of a long and tedious process. If there's any easier way to go about it, I'm all ears and would love to take everything we can from the wayback site, because they're slowly going away or being replaced by newer page captures.

Also this would be easier if we had an active dude who was on the old wiki as a sysop to help sysop this one with us. Wink wink.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:15 pm

I'll sign even though the chances of this actually accomplishing anything is pretty slim.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:I'll sign even though the chances of this actually accomplishing anything is pretty slim.

Read a few posts up. We're reasonably confident that we've reached the end of the line. There's a slim, slim chance. But it'd have to be a miracle or something of that ilk for the missing article texts to appear again. So, we've been forced to move on.

Wetwork XIII
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 12, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wetwork XIII » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:43 am

Nice work chasing this Todd, cheers for the resolution.
Thanks for Playing!

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:40 am

I wanne bet next year someone turns up with the whole thing he found on a dusty external drive
Formerly known as Port Blood
Elke and Elba wrote:Well Mall, you want Haven? I'd want your Joint Systems Alliance badge, then.
Discoveria wrote:Port blood is a raider through and through. Honest.
Tim-Opolis wrote:The Salt Mines will be fueled for months by the tears of silly fascists.
Sedgistan wrote:Attempted threadjack on sandwiches and satanism removed.
[4:27 PM] Antigone: Port Blood = Gameplay Jesus
Former foreign Minister of gay
Current community leader in charge of foreign affairs of gay
ex corporal in The Black Hawks

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Blood Wine wrote:I wanne bet next year someone turns up with the whole thing he found on a dusty external drive

Well, as far as I know the only guy to do backups was Goob, and he did two in it's 8-year run (I think it was 8 years), and one of the two were corrupted, so, it does not appear to look good right now.

Southfar
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Southfar » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Pardon me the necromancy, but I believe I have a relevant addition to make of which I know not whereelse I would stick it.
The mention of necromancy sets the key-note for this post, I believe: I have unearthed a load of NSWIKI articles, without their respective edit histories, in text format. If the re-made wiki is still active and whoever operates it is interested, I shall provide them.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Southfar wrote:Pardon me the necromancy, but I believe I have a relevant addition to make of which I know not whereelse I would stick it.
The mention of necromancy sets the key-note for this post, I believe: I have unearthed a load of NSWIKI articles, without their respective edit histories, in text format. If the re-made wiki is still active and whoever operates it is interested, I shall provide them.

When are these articles from?
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

Southfar
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Southfar » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:39 pm

I've not looked at all of them, but the ones I did look at seemed all to be from 2006 through 2008.
Now, one might say that their usefulness is negated by the existence of an entire backup of the 2008 status that we already have access to - however, the current nswiki.org does not include the vast majority of the articles that were on the old NSWiki even in 2008 and which should have been included in that backup. If the cause for that is that the backup was incomplete, then my files may serve to attenuate the magnitude of that problem, even if only marginally.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Southfar wrote:I've not looked at all of them, but the ones I did look at seemed all to be from 2006 through 2008.
Now, one might say that their usefulness is negated by the existence of an entire backup of the 2008 status that we already have access to - however, the current nswiki.org does not include the vast majority of the articles that were on the old NSWiki even in 2008 and which should have been included in that backup. If the cause for that is that the backup was incomplete, then my files may serve to attenuate the magnitude of that problem, even if only marginally.
The nswiki.org site does not have the archive files from the old wiki on its main domain, but they are stored on a subdomain, archive.nswiki.org. However, that subdomain has been down since April.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:03 am

Zwangzug wrote:
Southfar wrote:I've not looked at all of them, but the ones I did look at seemed all to be from 2006 through 2008.
The nswiki.org site does not have the archive files from the old wiki on its main domain, but they are stored on a subdomain, archive.nswiki.org. However, that subdomain has been down since April.

Hi, I should add that I am aware (I have stated before) that the domain NSwiki.net expired last month on the 3rd, so unless Gooobergunch renews it soon it is unlikely he will be able to make a fresh data dump from what remains of NSwiki.

That said, NSindex already has an active data dump service (older data dumps have moved to the Web Archive although I continue to keep local copies), and if my poor health is to get worse then I will always make the available last version available to the public.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay