NATION

PASSWORD

[H.A.N.N. SOLO] Awesome News

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Harem of Awesome News Network Solo
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

[H.A.N.N. SOLO] Awesome News

Postby Harem of Awesome News Network Solo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Solo Writer: Mekhet
Solo Editor-In-Chief: Mekhet

H.A.N.N. SOLO

"Bringing you the Harem of News"

Brought to you by the region Harem of Awesome, member region of the Founderless Raiding Alliance.

NOTE: This work is a product of satire and parody. The news will still be delivered with Awesome.

Gameplay Embraces Roleplay, though No one knew

S.P.I.N.N announces that Gameplayers should not learn their place. In reality though everyone knows that Gameplayers are in fact Roleplayers whether they like it, know it, or not. Gameplayers roleplay a simulation that's somewhere between based on real life and utter fiction. Just like in roleplaying they write all the time, usually things such as this snippet from Glen-Rhodes:

Glen-Rhodes wrote:So SPINN isn't going to allow members of government to write for it? What happens if you run for delegate or a Cabinet position? Do you resign as editor in chief?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the process of Gameplaying, on the forums this time, GR uses the process of writing and imagination to create this beautiful piece of literature. Interestingly enough, the qouted text even mentions 'writing'. Oh my!

Even in the game they write! Check out these raiders roleplaying and writing while gameplaying: Ixnay, couple with this roleplay on the forum to enhance the immersion: viewtopic.php?p=20870298#p20870298.

If that ain't roleplaying, then it's not gameplaying. Also a fact, Roleplayers are indeed Gameplayers. By having a nation they exist in gameplay, they sometimes have WA status, are delegates, are always in some region somewhere unless they got the DEAT.

What S.P.I.N.N. fails to realize, is that there is no difference between Gameplay and Roleplay. It's all imaginary!

The Gossipal of Rach

In a very quick interview with the widely known Nordic Dragonborn (Ex?)-Queen of Balder, Rachel was very chatty about the latest rumours, gossip, conjecture, and hearsay. Here's the transcript:

<Mek>: Just a question: got any goods news/rumours lately?
<Rach>: yes
<Mek>: I'd love to hear them :D
<Rach>: ;)
<Rach>: tbh, no idea really
<Mek>: I can work with this

Fascinating! I know Rach is very knowledgeable and informative on various NS topics. Though to the gameplay layman this little interview might seem like that's false in this instance, but that is a fallacy on their part. This signifies one of two things, Rach was talking about The Black Hawks but was making a riddle to make me work hard in figuring it out cause she's silly OR that recently gameplay has been pretty lame and boring (Aside from the RP Controversy Mark XXXXIIIIXIXI)

Sheesh, come on Gameplay work harder, we need moar drama and rumours that are probably mostly untruthy, maybe.

The Gameplayers Guide to Roleplayers: A How To On Roleplaying A Gameplayer
Written by Mekhet

Hey you! Yeah, you! Roleplayer!

Wanna know how to roleplay being a gameplayer? Well it's easy if you ignore the first piece in this article or take it to heart, either works. First off the Basics:

• Someone's always gonna give you shit about something, Generalites will understand this concept.
  • You exist in the game, so you are in fact a Gameplayer
  • Gameplayers are in fact Roleplayers. They periodically roleplay as the written and mouse-clicking version of arsonists. Like Trogdor the Burninator, biggest asshole arsonist dragon terrorist.
  • If Trogdor actually existed in this game, we're all doomed. Shit, he actually exists Trogdor The Burninator
  • We're all fucked... ;_;

Srs Bsns Opinion of the GP/RP Divide
Opinion by Mekhet

This one will be some srs bsns.

I've been in this game for about 7 years now. Most of that time was as a defender, which I defended for the fun of fighting against opponents I knew were relentless (Think Dark Souls). I didn't pay any heed to what I think is Moralistic crap. That's not to say I have no morals or feelers. I do.

First and foremost I am a Gameplayer (Thus a Roleplayer by extension of them being the same). I love the simulation, politics, psuedo-warfare, and all that bullshit. Seriously, I Fucking love it as much as it pisses me off sometimes. To me this is a game, I'm not going to get in any (bullshit :P) analogies with vidya games and real life stuf.

As that maybe, I am and have been for months now a raider and I consider myself and Imperialist rather than a Raider Purist. Despite all of that so far, I do have empathy and feelers. I just happen to be a glass half-empty & glass half-full type of guy (who has been known to have worn a dress/makeup and randomly skype video NS friends, true story I have witnesses that can attest in a court of law or fallen off a boat retrieving my hat from it in the middle of one said skype video call. Concrete hurts donkey, fellows)

Okay, I'm veering off an ranting about bullshit that happens to be true. Anyways, while I enjoyed the D (no homo) and enjoy the R I do feel sometimes things do go too extreme. While I do believe that absolutely everything in this game can and should be a target to arsonssinate, I also believe in a degree of self-restraint. I'm a creature on balance you see. If the scales tilt one way for too long things get broke or just become a clusterfuck.

I do wish though that Roleplayers do take more precautions, I know you all don't want to get involved in certain things as much as possible, but being a little involved isn't that bad. Just like I have seen you all band together on the forum, sometimes I wish I could see you all band together on the gameplay side every rare occasion that it's necessary in-game wise. I'm not saying you should dive head first into the depths of snakepit viper venom hell island, but just stand up for yourselves as a fucking force to be reckoned with not just on the forums but in game.

I think that it will show that you guys can in fact lash out in game. Gameplayers respect what you can do in the game, not on the forum (Unless it's propaganda, chest beating, dead horse flogging (Exception is RPer complaints about R), or bullshit)

While in-game I cannot lend you a hand and in fact am an enemy, do know that I do have feelers and think the R doesn't have to be always harsh on the RP.

This article in no way is meant to offend or hurt any feelers.

MEKEDIT: Typo fixies
Last edited by Harem of Awesome News Network Solo on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Next time I'll try to have a better rumour, promise :)
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Harem of Awesome News Network Solo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Solorni wrote:Next time I'll try to have a better rumour, promise :)

I know <3

Xoriet
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:02 pm

:lol: I'm still laughing at some parts. Rather loved it, Zao.
Senator of Diplomatic Affairs of the New Pacific Order

This flame we carry into battle
A fading memory
This light will conquer the darkness
Shining bright for all to see

Vaculatestar4
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaculatestar4 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Some of the funniest stuff I've read on GP (outside of RPers whining :P ), and Rach, you must teach me your ways of picking up all of those wonderful rumors. :P

Joe Bobs
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 21, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Joe Bobs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Lol Mekhet. Reminds me of gonzo journalism. I have a curious type of wub for you. I think Jonewest infected me.
Old Zertaxia: You crazy, drunk penguin.

GRA: Forum Administrator and Architect of the GRA Archives. Formerly: President; Speaker; First Minister; High General of the GRADF; Foreign Affairs Minister; Senator; Congressman; Ambassador Plenipotentiary; First Lieutenant of the GRADF.

FRA: Formerly: Arch-Chancellor; Vice Chancellor; Regional Liaison Officer; GRA Representative; Ranger.

Q102: Formerly: Delegate; Deputy Delegate; Foreign Affairs Minister; Immigration & Officials Minister; Judge; Ambassador.

ARC: Formerly: Founder; Chairman.

Other Former Citizen of The Rejected Realms, The West Pacific, 00000 A World Power, Lazarus, Europa, Scroll Islands. Former Correspondent for The Rejected Times. Regular visitor everywhere.

Trogdor The Burninator
Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby Trogdor The Burninator » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Burninate all the peoples!

I Am Guy Fawkes
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby I Am Guy Fawkes » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:11 pm

This is much better than anything I've ever read. You rival AMON and your interviews, especially the one with Rachel, are much more informative.
You have a bright career ahead of you.

-Sap

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:27 pm

I have all sorts of nasty not-rumors. I'm literally the guy that is always the last to know.

And groovy stuff :hug:
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

Mekhet
Envoy

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mekhet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Tano wrote:I have all sorts of nasty not-rumors. I'm literally the guy that is always the last to know.

And groovy stuff :hug:

Noted for future reference. :)

Equinox
"Join the Church of Hat-thiesm. ALL THINGS THAT COVER YOUR HEAD IS A HAT! HATS!!!" - Pope Hatchard I

Cormac A Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac A Stark » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:41 pm

This was a fun read!

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:05 pm

:eek:
Gameplayers are Roleplayers??
Nu-uh...when my nation moves via black choppers it actually happens....ITS REAL DAMMIT.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

An Obvious Spy
Secretary

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby An Obvious Spy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:23 pm

More gossip; less talking about about GP/RP stuff. >:(
Head of Intelligence
The Black Hawks

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:54 pm

Harem of Awesome News Network Solo wrote:I do wish though that Roleplayers do take more precautions
What more precautions should we take, Mek, to avoid playing your game?

We have founders, which we were always told were one of our opt-outs by moderation.

When our founders dies we password our regions, again, another one of our opt-outs as told to us by moderation and admin.

When we decide we want to be even safer we go for refounds. And almost every time, some gameplaying dick is there to snipe it.

It happened Pardes, it happened with Oceania. It happened with Voxia. And I guarantee that if Ixnay had gotten to that point, some gameplayer would've been there to try and snipe it.

What precautions, exactly, should roleplayers will be taking so as to not to have raiders shitting all over their region?

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:15 am

I think that it will show that you guys can in fact lash out in game. Gameplayers respect what you can do in the game, not on the forum (Unless it's propaganda, chest beating, dead horse flogging (Exception is RPer complaints about R), or bullshit)

I totally support RPers taking part in the Security Council as a way to influence Gameplay without actually having to Gameplay or otherwise act as pillars for a crumbling one-sided establishment.

It has been asserted time and time again that the current crop of raiders are entirely dependent on opposition in order to function - Coraxion's neverending affair with DYP, the raid on Anarchy, and countless numbers of pleading messages begging the UDL to become active again.

It is frankly shameful that the current state of Raiders is to depend on an active part of NationStates to try and prop up their own failing game, so that they can continue to argue Gameplay adds something to NS.

I for one have always argued that Roleplayers need to stop being so elitist - NSSports, NSG, P2TM all have a lot to offer the RP community, and vice versa. The historic divide between these lively and active forums is a disappointing state of affairs. To an extent, the General Assembly and even the Security Council (through C&Cs) have much to offer all these groups (for example, the NSG Senate, while illfated, did show some interest from that community and the F7 Community in a GA-style forum devoid of the influence of traditional Gameplayer organizations tied closer to GCR and the UCR Politics than any sort of commitment to the GA).

The orphaning of Gameplay by active RPers and NSGers is intentional and deserved.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:18 pm

This was a fun read! :clap:

Please, lets not devolve it into another argument guys....
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Harem of Awesome News Network Solo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:20 pm

The Grim Reaper wrote:
-snip-

I support balance, so with that in mind I support anything written out well that gives pros and cons for everything that meshes well. All groups to an extent are elitist. I've wondered if this has to do with starting out as a newbie in this game. You aren't given much information, and as we can see on the forums a lot of people ignore the faqs and stickies.

I think I had mentioned this to Kringalia last night, as a result newbies become frustrated figuring things out and/or they tend to find one sort of group. For me it was first government simulation on offsite forums and then I was quickly introduced to the D of Military Gameplay. Others are introduced to other things; the R, General, RP, etc.

My bias as such is Gameplay. While I'd like to believe I'm not elitist about it, I am honest about my biases. This may apply to others or they may be more elitist. I personally want to see less of a divide, and even if you're like me who can't write RP stories worth shit, you can still communicate with them.

To each their own though, not everyone agrees nor cares.

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Harem of Awesome News Network Solo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Nierr wrote:
Harem of Awesome News Network Solo wrote:I do wish though that Roleplayers do take more precautions
What more precautions should we take, Mek, to avoid playing your game?

We have founders, which we were always told were one of our opt-outs by moderation.

When our founders dies we password our regions, again, another one of our opt-outs as told to us by moderation and admin.

When we decide we want to be even safer we go for refounds. And almost every time, some gameplaying dick is there to snipe it.

It happened Pardes, it happened with Oceania. It happened with Voxia. And I guarantee that if Ixnay had gotten to that point, some gameplayer would've been there to try and snipe it.

What precautions, exactly, should roleplayers will be taking so as to not to have raiders shitting all over their region?

Well, I'm not arguing who is right or wrong here. I think it's plainly clear that I support the RPer overall argument to an extent, with the exception I want Military Gameplay to exist nearly the same as it is now.

My favourite idea I could get behind is Esternial's idea in Technical: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=303696

It needs a lot of working on to be something that is feasible and will be supported by players of NS and MOD/ADMIN. I can get behind the concept of it.

On another note though: Georgie, let's not let my thread turn into something that will get locked.

The Sapientia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2013
Corporate Police State

Postby The Sapientia » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:33 pm

1) Can someone apply for this newspaper?
2) When is the next article coming out?
BoM Veteran Assassin | Former MoMA of the South Pacific | Former Chief Justice of the West Pacific | TNP Security Officer
Obvious Threat to Regional Security

Mekhet
Envoy

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mekhet » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:30 pm

The Sapientia wrote:1) Can someone apply for this newspaper?
2) When is the next article coming out?

1. Define apply?
2. When Wordy allows me to.

Equinox
"Join the Church of Hat-thiesm. ALL THINGS THAT COVER YOUR HEAD IS A HAT! HATS!!!" - Pope Hatchard I

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay