NATION

PASSWORD

Beef-Based Agriculture - Lost in Virtual Space?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Little Flowers
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Beef-Based Agriculture - Lost in Virtual Space?

Postby Little Flowers » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:48 am

This World Census Report has not occurred in years. It doesn't even have a ranking under the 'Analysis' link. Is it still there? If so why is there no indication? Orhas it been moved to agriculture? The assumption is it is still there but no ranking exists because it has come up after NS initialized the Analysis portion of he game.

A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, and Beef-Based Agriculture industries

Is it a glitch or poor editing and the BBA just means agriculture in general?
#1 in NationStates: Most Armed, Most Crime, Least Safe, Least Eco-Friendly

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:51 am

Little Flowers wrote:the BBA just means agriculture in general?

Correct.

The Grendels
Attaché

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Grendels » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:07 am

I had a thread on the missing world census category last year: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=184481&p=9667372#p9667372

Beef Based Agriculture hasn't been shown since 2004. When I brought it up years ago (on the Jolt forum) none of the Mods then even remembered the category, so I'm not certain anyone around now can do more than guess what happened to it. You're right though that there are a few nations there that still have it show as their primary industry in their descriptions, despite the category never coming up anymore in the world census report, which would make it a glitch. I suspect the only person who really knows what happened is SalusaSecondus, who was the system admin around the time of the category's disappearance, but it would be asking a lot for their memory or impeccable records to hold that bit of trivia 9 years after the fact.

I kind of liked it because it better reflected the importance of ranching in the Grendels over Brussels sprout production. I might also have been slightly biased since I was number one in the world in that category too. :twisted:
“In off the moor, down through the mist bands,
God-cursed Grendel came, greedily loping.
The bane of the race of men roamed forth, hunting for a prey."

Beowulf

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 am

Beef-based agriculture is simply the name that Max originally used for what is now referred to as the agriculture industry. Same as Uranium Mining -> Mining, Soda Sales -> Beverage Sales, Door-to-door Insurance Sales -> Insurance, Woodchipping -> Timber Woodchipping. The name was changed in the World Census reports (which have been updated reasonably regularly over the last few years), but obviously not in the nation description.

EDIT: Pretty much what I said in the previous thread The Grendels linked to.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Grendels
Attaché

Postby The Grendels » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 am

Sedgistan wrote:Beef-based agriculture is simply the name that Max originally used for what is now referred to as the agriculture industry. Same as Uranium Mining -> Mining, Soda Sales -> Beverage Sales, Door-to-door Insurance Sales -> Insurance, Woodchipping -> Timber Woodchipping. The name was changed in the World Census reports (which have been updated reasonably regularly over the last few years), but obviously not in the nation description.

EDIT: Pretty much what I said in the previous thread The Grendels linked to.

That's not exactly correct though, because Beef-Based Agriculture didn't just change its name and become Agriculture. There was already a primary Agriculture category before the loss of Beef-Based Agriculture. That's where it doesn't mesh with the name transition. I'll telegram SalusaSecondus.

Beowulf

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:57 pm

I have the code of the rankings. If both were in use at the same time, which seems unlikely, then the "Beef-based Agriculture" measure would've been removed as it measured exactly the same thing as the "Agriculture" one.

The Grendels
Attaché

Postby The Grendels » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Sedgistan wrote:I have the code of the rankings. If both were in use at the same time, which seems unlikely, then the "Beef-based Agriculture" measure would've been removed as it measured exactly the same thing as the "Agriculture" one.

Not just likely. It was what happened. Agriculture and Beef-Based Agriculture were both individual world census categories, alternating multiple times, during the same time period (2002-2004). Otherwise I'd accept the premise that it just changed its name, instead of one of the two categories disappearing.

Beowulf

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Sedgistan wrote:I have the code of the rankings.

That code is based on the current contents of the Nation Analysis feature, which was introduced long after 2004. My guess is that [violet] cleaned up an accidental duplicate at that time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay