NATION

PASSWORD

The United Defenders League

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sovreignry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sovreignry » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:13 am

Cormac Stark wrote:Grats to the new Chief.

So first question: Why was the UDL defending NAZI EUROPE tonight? And before you hop on the "individual UDL members" thing, bear in mind two of those "individual UDL members" are Senior Merrymen with one likely to be promoted to Lieutenant, and all three were sitting in your channel at the time.

Welcome to the Chieftaincy. Fun, ain't it?

Let's see, no mention of defending Nazi Europe besides, "Nope, we don't do that." Would seem to make your argument a bunch of bupkis.
From the desk of
William Chocox Ambassador from The Unitary Kingdom of Sovreignry
Office 50, fifth floor, farthest from the elevator
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. -Ardchoille
It would be easier just to incorporate a "Grief Region" button, so you wouldn't even need to make the effort to do the actual raiding. Players could just bounce from region to region and destroy everyone else's efforts at will, without even bothering about WA status. Wouldn't that be nice. -Frisbeeteria

Why yes, we are better looking: UDL

The United Defenders League
Secretary

Founded: Aug 06, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Defenders League » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:15 am

Greetings, members of NationStates!

I am delighted to be giving you this speech, because it means I have won the UDL Conclave election. After 8 weeks of elections, I know I started to worry that it would never end. Nevertheless, it has, and I’m glad I’ve been selected the winner. For those that are wondering how, soon we’ll publish a report, vote by vote, of how things went down in the Conclave.

First off, I’d like to thank a few people. I’d like to thank Solm for being an incredible Chief of the Band during these more than eight weeks, he’s served remarkably. I’d like to thank Ravania, for not giving up the fight to defend even when the UDL around him seemed quiet. I’d also like to thank the members of the UDL Conclave, not just for voting me, but for showing up and participating and caring about the UDL. If thats the legacy that will come out of the Conclave, that you guys will stick with the UDL and make it a better place, then the Conclave just might have been worth it.

I’d like to announce that some of my leadership picks have been determined. Every good guy has his sidekick, Batman and Robin, Abed and Troy, etc., and I’m no exception, which is why I’m delighted that Solm will be serving as my Chief Lieutenant. I’m also glad that Tim will be my Chief of Foreign Affairs, Sovreignry will be my Chief of Public Works and Major Update Head, and Ravania will stay on as Captain and Minor Update Head. I know these guys will do great in their jobs. As for the Lt Corps, I envision some changes and additions in the near future, though I’ll talk more about that when the time comes. There are still plenty of changes left to be made!

On another note, I’ve now seen two Chiefs of the Band serve the UDL, Unibot and Solm, and both have done incredibly. I look forward to following in their footsteps, and will do all that I can to make the UDL succeed. I hope to be able to take the best elements of these two fine leaders, add in my own, and use this concoction to make the UDL great. So lets talk about that.

In many fights, the factions eventually can be boiled down to, with simplification, “good guys” and “bad guys.” In this case, NationStates is no exceptions. It is obvious that the UDL and other defender groups, such as FRA and TITO and SDF and Mordor, are the good guys, whereas the raider groups, are not. Many times the good guys have to simply protect or save innocents. But oftentimes, an ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure, the good guys have to be assertive to fight the bad guys. So I, Mahaj, can promise the world, the UDL will be stronger in its fight against raiders. Gone will be the time where regions turn raider out of fear of raiders, and in will be the time where NationStates as a community fights against raiders.

The UDL, as a part of being a defender group, is a group designed to provide services to the NationStates community, to better the community. Our main service is of course our defending, but we offer others, such as our public library and our weather forecasting and our magic eight ball. The NationStates community will get to see more of these type of things from the UDL. We’ll provide more databases of information similar to our libraries, more national statistics programs such as our weather, and we’ll revive the UDL WA Mission, to prove help writing and passing WA proposals to those in need.

I’d like to keep this relatively short so I think I’ll wrap it up now. The UDL will again become the best organization in the world, working with the greatest group of organizations, to do the best job in NationStates. I know there have been concerns about my ability to lead the organization, but I hope to show you that those concerns are unfounded.

Thanks,
The Chief of the Band

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:21 am

Congrats, Tramiar...

....such as odd... speech coming from a crasher. Oh well.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:38 am

Will all posts be made under "The United Defenders League" rather than the personal account?

Guess it helps with the duality between it and "Tramiar" :)
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Tano III
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano III » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 am

Huh, a raider becoming Chief of the Band

This should make for an interesting news article. :D

PrussianEmpire
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrussianEmpire » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 am

So confused...
—« The PrussianEmpire From The East Pacific »—

The contents of the above post represent the views of Exshaw, the Imperial Legion, the United Defenders League, the Founderless Regions Alliance, the New Inquisition, the Black Hawks, the North Pacific, the Alliance Defense Network, the Atlantic Central Command, Francos Spain, Dwight Eisenhower, and the 1998 New York Yankees.

Andacantra
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:37 am

The United Defenders League wrote:In many fights, the factions eventually can be boiled down to, with simplification, “good guys” and “bad guys.” In this case, NationStates is no exceptions. It is obvious that the UDL and other defender groups, such as FRA and TITO and SDF and Mordor, are the good guys, whereas the raider groups, are not. Many times the good guys have to simply protect or save innocents. But oftentimes, an ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure, the good guys have to be assertive to fight the bad guys. So I, Mahaj, can promise the world, the UDL will be stronger in its fight against raiders. Gone will be the time where regions turn raider out of fear of raiders, and in will be the time where NationStates as a community fights against raiders.

Oooooh, where do I even start in this trainwreck of a paragraph?

It is obvious that the UDL and other defender groups, such as FRA and TITO and SDF and Mordor, are the good guys, whereas the raider groups, are not.

And where do militaries which are neutral or independent or whatever the hell you want to call them fit into this picture? It might be incredibly convenient for your rhetoric to utterly ignore their existence, but they do actually happen to exist. And do the ends always justify the means? Can "good guys" do "bad" things, and still fall within your definition of "good"?

But oftentimes, an ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure, the good guys have to be assertive to fight the bad guys.

I presume this means that the UDL are going to be aiding in more refounds. Which is all well and good, so long as they actually make a proper effort to ensure that the natives a. Want it and b. Understand the risks. And from what I've seen of defender-aided refounds in the past, that's fairly often not the case. But whatever, I might just give you the benefit of the doubt here.

And how on earth can the good guys be "assertive" to fight the bad guys, if we're going to accept for now the stupid rhetoric? Ask them pretty please not to raid? Or post strongly worded statements denouncing what they're doing (hint, a chunk of the raiders who want to do the most damage get a kick out of these things.) Or do you really mean proactive?

Gone will be the time where regions turn raider out of fear of raiders, and in will be the time where NationStates as a community fights against raiders.

As far as I was aware, those times are already long gone. I dare the UDL to provide me with recent examples of this happening. I can't recall a single example during my involvement in R/D. I strongly suspect that this is more pretty rhetoric, designed to drag people into how they think with a very flimsy grasp on reality.

Part of me, just an eensy tiny bit of me, had hoped that the UDL could use the change in leadership to fix some of the awful crap within the organisation and make themselves a positive part of the gameplay landscape. But I guess I was being just a little bit optimistic there :roll:.
(also, hint, proofreading major speeches is good.)
Abbey
Chief Kitty of the Cat Burglars
Bi-gameplayers: Raiding and defending because both are fun and ok
Nationstates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am

Oooooooooooh my god, Abbey.
You didn't.

I love you.
Last edited by Corporation de Apple on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

That describes pretty much every topic ever posted in NSG.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 am

It is obvious that the UDL and other defender groups, such as FRA and TITO and SDF and Mordor, are the good guys,

Oh keep us out of that example. FRA doesn't do the "defending because its good" thing ;)
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 am

Warzone Codger wrote:Will all posts be made under "The United Defenders League" rather than the personal account?

Huh? It says Mahaj in the speech. Is Tramiar Mahaj? Is that speech using Mahajs name incorrectly?

*sits back and enjoys his popcorn*
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:52 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Warzone Codger wrote:Will all posts be made under "The United Defenders League" rather than the personal account?

Huh? It says Mahaj in the speech. Is Tramiar Mahaj? Is that speech using Mahajs name incorrectly?

*sits back and enjoys his popcorn*

I may have forgotten if Tramiar or Mahaj won when I wrote it. My bad. :blush:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm

The United Defenders League wrote:In many fights, the factions eventually can be boiled down to, with simplification, “good guys” and “bad guys.” In this case, NationStates is no exceptions. It is obvious that the UDL and other defender groups, such as FRA and TITO and SDF and Mordor, are the good guys, whereas the raider groups, are not. Many times the good guys have to simply protect or save innocents. But oftentimes, an ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure, the good guys have to be assertive to fight the bad guys. So I, Mahaj, can promise the world, the UDL will be stronger in its fight against raiders. Gone will be the time where regions turn raider out of fear of raiders, and in will be the time where NationStates as a community fights against raiders.

Jesus "Mad Eye" Moody Christ, man. This has to be the biggest hunk of bullshit I've read out of you in a long time Mahaj, and that's saying a lot. Perhaps you really are Unibot's kid brother.

Abbey ripped apart this monstrosity well enough, so I won't bother adding onto it. What I will say is that now that you've established yourself as the beacon of moral defending, it's going to look really shitty when all of the bullshit the "good guys" won't admit to doing, or in even worse cases, will admit to doing as long as it can fall under the umbrella of good intentions, is inevitably exposed to everyone.

Kicking off your job with a bang. I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Mahaj.
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Why are you all being so mean to Tramiar? :(
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

North East Somerset
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby North East Somerset » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:28 pm

As childishly simple as this all sounds, I don't know why anyone is surprised. Because I've heard it all before. In this hilarious "Overview of Defending": (Yes, UDLers, that really is the Voice of your Leader... no further comment.)

I always used to joke Mahaj was a future leader in NS. Well, that isn't in the future anymore, it is current. Which is mildly concerning. I'm wondering if I'm really playing the same game as someone who thinks there are two sides - one of whom "destroys things recklessly" and the other (of which he belongs to) plays NS to "fix things and make them better" - like "a firefighter". I wanted to be a firefighter too. When I was about 7. It's hard to interact with someone you aren't playing the same game as, even if it's a negative interaction. I can see why DYP is already distancing the FRA from Mahaj's attempt to rope them into this puerile philosophy.

Good luck, you'll need it...
Last edited by North East Somerset on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Royal Duke, Balder
Lord High Steward, The LKE
Honoured Citizen, Europeia

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Yay! Now we should finally get more PR scandals, and hopefully they'll be even more hilarious than the ones that took place with Unibot! :D
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Andacantra wrote:

Oooooh, where do I even start in this trainwreck of a paragraph?

It is obvious that the UDL and other defender groups, such as FRA and TITO and SDF and Mordor, are the good guys, whereas the raider groups, are not.

And where do militaries which are neutral or independent or whatever the hell you want to call them fit into this picture? It might be incredibly convenient for your rhetoric to utterly ignore their existence, but they do actually happen to exist. And do the ends always justify the means? Can "good guys" do "bad" things, and still fall within your definition of "good"?

In every situation between the "good guys" and the "bad guys", you have groups that try to stake a middle ground. The UDL's relationships with these groups will depend on the individual group itself. Of course the UDL will work with these militaries on defensive missions.

And how on earth can the good guys be "assertive" to fight the bad guys, if we're going to accept for now the stupid rhetoric? Ask them pretty please not to raid? Or post strongly worded statements denouncing what they're doing (hint, a chunk of the raiders who want to do the most damage get a kick out of these things.) Or do you really mean proactive?

Indeed, the better word would have been "proactive". My thanks for this correction.

Part of me, just an eensy tiny bit of me, had hoped that the UDL could use the change in leadership to fix some of the awful crap within the organisation and make themselves a positive part of the gameplay landscape. But I guess I was being just a little bit optimistic there :roll:.

If you are ready to characterize my leadership based on one balcony speech, then no amount of actions could convince you otherwise.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

SkyDip
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Bad speech, Mahaj. But good luck anyway. :hug:
Elias Thaddeus Greyjoy, WA Ambassador of SkyDip
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

PrussianEmpire
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrussianEmpire » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Good luck to you Mahaj. You're going to need it. I enjoyed reading the replies to Mahaj's post. Quite entertaining - and true.
—« The PrussianEmpire From The East Pacific »—

The contents of the above post represent the views of Exshaw, the Imperial Legion, the United Defenders League, the Founderless Regions Alliance, the New Inquisition, the Black Hawks, the North Pacific, the Alliance Defense Network, the Atlantic Central Command, Francos Spain, Dwight Eisenhower, and the 1998 New York Yankees.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Congrats Mahaj.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:17 pm

13 minutes ago: The Best Trilogy is Best of Unibot III applied for WA membership.

Welcome Back :p
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Karputsk
Envoy

Founded: May 10, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Karputsk » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Congratulations, Mahaj.
~Commander of the Rejected Realms Army~

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:13 minutes ago: The Best Trilogy is Best of Unibot III applied for WA membership.

Unibot and Tramiar would be an odd combination.
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:13 minutes ago: The Best Trilogy is Best of Unibot III applied for WA membership.

*waves*

Hey there,

It's your friendly neighborhood UDL CoFA here too channel the words of Unibot who got repeatedly pinged until he answered this reporter's question.

He's just checking to see if he has a WA out there, since it notifies you of this if you apply while having a current WA nation. Some accounts are being re-arranged, etc. He's got no intention of coming back, and nor does this reporter have any intention of letting him come back ;)

Unibot would also like to congratulate MiniUnib *cough* Mahaj on his recent Election to Chief of the Band, and has already done so in private; as per tradition.

And now, Gameplay's latest Gameshow! Find Unibot's WA Nation! Whoever finds it gets their own secret forum! If he doesn't have one, then feel free to say that!
Telegrams with answers/guesses/speculations can go to Tim-Opolis.

Thank You and have a good night.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Karputsk
Envoy

Founded: May 10, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Karputsk » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:55 pm

That was less of a challenge than I thought it might be.
~Commander of the Rejected Realms Army~

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 am

Karputsk wrote:That was less of a challenge than I thought it might be.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner ;)

The "Unibot needs to stop losing his WA" committee would like to thank you for playing. Your complimentary shipment of Coca-Cola Fukk will arrive by the next Major Update, and your secret forum has been created. The Karputsk Multi-Regional Boardroom of Press Relations is now build. We shall use it for Party Games, and Starcraft II.

Once again, thank you for playing.
Last edited by Tim-Opolis on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay