NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:33 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:
Admittedly I am better at Greek than Latin :blink:

But the incident?

The incident?

The great noodle incident of 2767 auc?

Doesn't ring any bells?

Oh, you sweet summer child.

No, I'm kidding, but seriously, I've never even seen a third person imperative in the wild.

You know, because the phrase that Giga wanted translated is from a motto of the Adeptus Astartes from WH40K, and it resembles what I'd call a "general maxim". Besides, the English construction "let X something" translates the Greek third person imperative.

Something like μηδεῖς ζήτω
Last edited by Themiclesia on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 am

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:
The incident?

The great noodle incident of 2767 auc?

Doesn't ring any bells?

Oh, you sweet summer child.

No, I'm kidding, but seriously, I've never even seen a third person imperative in the wild.

You know, because the phrase that Giga wanted translated is from a motto of the Adeptus Astartes from WH40K, and it resembles what I'd call a "general maxim". Besides, the English construction "let X something" translates the Greek third person imperative.

Latin does tend to prefer the jussive subjunctive for the English "let X something" constructive, to the point that the jussive subjunctive is generally the only way taught to students if one wants to translate such a phrase.

The imperative in any form other than second person is incredibly rare in Latin -- as said, I've never seen it in the wild and when you suggested it I had to look it up to make sure there actually was such a thing.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:02 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:

Latin does tend to prefer the jussive subjunctive for the English "let X something" constructive, to the point that the jussive subjunctive is generally the only way taught to students if one wants to translate such a phrase.

The imperative in any form other than second person is incredibly rare in Latin -- as said, I've never seen it in the wild and when you suggested it I had to look it up to make sure there actually was such a thing.

The jussive is, of course, impeccably used in terms of grammar, but is also morphologically identical to the optative use of the Latin subjunctive. It may easily be mistaken for "would that none survive" etc., which doesn't quite convey the force of the original statement; the tone of the original is my principal concern, but you're evidently the more experienced translator, so I'll defer to you on this issue.

My Latin professor concurs with you on that the third person imperative is quite rare, and she probably would never have taught it had I failed to ask about it during class. But, as an Indo-European language, I'd expect that Latin has a functional third person imperative, as there is in Greek and Sanskrit.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:11 am

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

The jussive is, of course, impeccably used in terms of grammar, but is also morphologically identical to the optative use of the Latin subjunctive. It may easily be mistaken for "would that none survive" etc., which doesn't quite convey the force of the original statement; the tone of the original is my principal concern, but you're evidently the more experienced translator, so I'll defer to you on this issue.

My Latin professor concurs with you on that the third person imperative is quite rare, and she probably would never have taught it had I failed to ask about it during class. But, as an Indo-European language, I'd expect that Latin has a functional third person imperative, as there is in Greek and Sanskrit.

Well, you don't usually see optative usage without utinam anyway.

Further research suggests that the third person imperative in Latin only exists in the future tense and is by and large considered archaic by the Classical period, which is the style we by and large try to emulate.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:

Further research suggests that the third person imperative in Latin only exists in the future tense and is by and large considered archaic by the Classical period, which is the style we by and large try to emulate.

I'd say that like the subjunctive, all imperatives have some sense of futurity inherent, especially in Latin where there are no perfect imperatives.

(You could argue that in the sentence τῆς γυναικός ἥκει, ὁ ἀνὴρ πεπαυκέτω the action conveyed by the imperative occurred prior)

My primary source of information is here.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:35 am

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

I'd say that like the subjunctive, all imperatives have some sense of futurity inherent, especially in Latin where there are no perfect imperatives.

(You could argue that in the sentence τῆς γυναικός ἥκει, ὁ ἀνὴρ πεπαυκέτω the action conveyed by the imperative occurred prior)

My primary source of information is here.

I'm only on my third week of learning Greek so that example sentence doesn't mean a whole lot to me yet.

However, this fairly well covers my understanding of things:

"This imperative is much less direct than the other, in that the person is not spoken to, but the force of the command is still stronger than the subjunctive. Veniat means "let him come". Venito means "He is going to come (if I have anything to say about it)", or "He shall come!" implying that the speaker's wish is very strong. This is usually restricted to legal contexts, as are the rest of the future imperatives"

In a non-legal context where the English is specifically "Let x", I definitely think the subjunctive is preferable.

Astrolinium wrote:
West Infinity wrote:Now this one's just me being cheeky:

Ubi nemo prior iit ir[proterve]e!

Ad audacter eundum quo nemo prius ivit.

Further consultation with more experienced Latinists suggests that this might be a slightly better translation:

Ad fortiter eundum quo nemo ante iit.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:43 am

What was I thinking? Of course it doesn't make sense. Use ἡκούσης in place of ἥκει.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 am

So, another one. I need the proper translation for "Defend them to the last man".
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Evolu Tanis
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 10, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Evolu Tanis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 am

I came up with this one a way, way back in the day, can't remember doing it though:

Si attinges, tuum cordem rumpemis et faciem

I think it means If you attack, we will break your heart and your face but I'm no longer remotely sure about things like future tense.
Openly acknowledged puppet of Sierra Lyricalia

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Evolu Tanis wrote:I came up with this one a way, way back in the day, can't remember doing it though:

Si attinges, tuum cordem rumpemis et faciem

I think it means If you attack, we will break your heart and your face but I'm no longer remotely sure about things like future tense.

It's mostly good grammatically speaking, although cor is neuter, but attingo means "touch" or "reach", and it should be rumpemus. The tuum is, strictly speaking, unnecessary -- the Romans often left personal pronouns to be understood. Additionally, the verb you will want, oppugno, is transitive, so needs a direct object.

All said and done I'd personally express the sentiment:

Si nos oppugnaveris, et cor et faciem frangemus.

It's perfectly acceptable to use oppugnabis instead of oppugnaveris (I just like the future perfect), and rumpemus can easily be substituted for frangemus -- I just like the alliteration. Additionally, the first et can be dropped if you'd like.

Literally, it translates out to:

"If you shall have attacked us, we shall break both your heart and your face."
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Evolu Tanis
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 10, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Evolu Tanis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Astrolinium wrote:It's mostly good grammatically speaking, although cor is neuter, but attingo means "touch" or "reach", and it should be rumpemus. The tuum is, strictly speaking, unnecessary -- the Romans often left personal pronouns to be understood. Additionally, the verb you will want, oppugno, is transitive, so needs a direct object.

All said and done I'd personally express the sentiment:

Si nos oppugnaveris, et cor et faciem frangemus.

It's perfectly acceptable to use oppugnabis instead of oppugnaveris (I just like the future perfect), and rumpemus can easily be substituted for frangemus -- I just like the alliteration. Additionally, the first et can be dropped if you'd like.

Literally, it translates out to:

"If you shall have attacked us, we shall break both your heart and your face."

Aahhhhhhhh, now I'm remembering - I wanted the sense of "If you lay so much as a finger on us, we'll..." etc. - hence attingere rather than something more forceful.

Thanks!
Openly acknowledged puppet of Sierra Lyricalia

Sacrae Portus
Civilian

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sacrae Portus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:28 pm

“Quod illustratio sit futurum.”
Is this correct? It's supposed to mean "Enlightenment is the future".

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:17 am

Sacrae Portus wrote:“Quod illustratio sit futurum.”
Is this correct? It's supposed to mean "Enlightenment is the future".

I'd say "Res futura est illustratio".

Literally, "Enlightenment is the future thing/business/matter/fact".
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:54 pm

Militias fortia, prōsunt!
(Brave militias, advance!)

Is this right?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:36 am

Ainin wrote:Militias fortia, prōsunt!

Is this right?

I would write O fortes militiai, ite!, but Astrolinium is the expert here.

If you're interested in the Greek version, I'd give ὦ στρατιῶται, προῖτε
Last edited by Themiclesia on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:09 am

Themiclesia wrote:
Ainin wrote:Militias fortia, prōsunt!

Is this right?

I would write O fortes militiai, ite!, but Astrolinium is the expert here.

If you're interested in the Greek version, I'd give ὦ στρατιῶται, προῖτε

I'd go with O fortes milites, prodite!

The Latin word militia doesn't signifiy the modern English concept of a "militia" -- it refers to the idea of military service. In fact, to the best of my knowledge -- and I could be wrong, but I don't think I am -- they didn't even have an equivalent concept to the English "militia". So it seems to me that it would be better to simply go with "Mighty soldiers, advance!"
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Could one of you translate "I'm in your base, killing your dudes"?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:42 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Could one of you translate "I'm in your base, killing your dudes"?

In castris sum, socios occidens.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Could one of you translate "I'm in your base, killing your dudes"?

In castris sum, socios occidens.

Thank you.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

New Vudnia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Vudnia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:27 pm

It's not so much that I need a new motto, I just can't remember what my current motto means!

scientia vincere tenebras

What does that mean again?
Last edited by New Vudnia on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:39 pm

New Vudnia wrote:It's not so much that I need a new motto, I just can't remember what my current motto means!

Um, well, "Knowledge to conquer the shadows". I'd suggest changing it to scientia tenebras vincit, which would be "knowledge conquers the shadows".
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

New Vudnia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Vudnia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
New Vudnia wrote:It's not so much that I need a new motto, I just can't remember what my current motto means!

Um, well, "Knowledge to conquer the shadows". I'd suggest changing it to scientia tenebras vincit, which would be "knowledge conquers the shadows".

Okay, thanks.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

Couldn't this be alternatively construed as "it is science to conquer shadows"?
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Gigaverse wrote:So, another one. I need the proper translation for "Defend them to the last man".

tegi(te) eos/eas/ea ulteriori.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:43 am

New Vudnia wrote:scientia vincere tenebras
Themiclesia wrote:Couldn't this be alternatively construed as "it is science to conquer shadows"?

Not in the modern sense of "science" as a discipline distinct from the humanities or the arts. Scientia in classical Latin is more like... 'know-how'. Also, despite how often forms of sum are omitted, I think Latin would want an est thrown in there if it were trying to define scientia. Latin doesn't normally use the infinitive to express purpose unless it's imitating Greek, but that might still be cause for some ambiguity without an est.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay