NATION

PASSWORD

Flag Crafters' Guild [Shoppe/Critique]

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nistertal
Secretary

Founded: Mar 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Nistertal » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:41 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Just to add a modly note:

I've seen a ton of these flag making threads, and it's very disheartening to the artists when they deliver a bang-up job to a new nation, only to see that nation die 28 or 30 days later. If it were me, I'd limit my flag-making to nations over 1 billion, a commitment of 6 months to the game. Since these guys don't have such a limit, you should just thank them when they've helped you and NEVER complain.

A very good post. It might be a good idea to take a closer look at the nation before making one of the more time consuming flags.

A short information on how i chose which flags to make:
As I stated earlier I can only contribute on an irregular basis as I'm pretty busy with real life stuff, so I do this mainly for my own fun :D
I much prefer the simpler Flag designs which make sense vexillologically. And of course I chose the design ideas that I personally like.

Under the following link you find some principles of good Flag design:
http://www.nava.org/Flag%20Design/GFBF/
In need of a new flag? Visit the F L A G | C R A F T E R S' | G U I L D

Sentinel XV
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:40 am

@The Anglo Saxons: Please fill out a form! :P

@Frisbeeteria: Thanks for the insight. I might definitely do that for flags that are very elaborate, because I hate to see my hard work go to waste.

@Nistertal: Just keep up the good work, bro.
‹ all genius is a conquering of chaos and mystery

Nistertal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nistertal » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:42 am

The Anglo Saxons wrote:Hello, I'd like you to imagine the Dutch were the first to colonise Australia, could you make a flag to represent the Dutch in this large dusty red land?

Thanks

What about this? I couldn't decide how to color the Stars so here are three Ideas (In Spoiler 'cause they are big)

Tell me what you think!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:39 am

The Anglo Saxons wrote:If you mean over 1 billion population, that just isn't fair.

If I was a flag-maker (I'm not) and it was my time that was being spent on making the flags (it is), I could set any conditions I wanted to set. I wouldn't take the time doing the online research that flag requesters are too lazy to do on their own, and the additional time working in an art program I'd mastered, just to have the nation CTE afterwards.

You're asking for a gift from a talented person. It's entirely appropriate for that person to decide whether you're worthy of his gift.

Raxion
Envoy

Founded: Jan 01, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Raxion » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:47 am

Frisbeeteria wrote: just to have the nation CTE afterwards.

Nooby curiosity, but what's CTE? Google thinks I'm talking about Churches Together in England, Common Table Expressions, Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, and Center for Technology in Education. I don't think it's any of those.
الله أكبر

Kanslavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanslavia » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Raxion wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote: just to have the nation CTE afterwards.

Nooby curiosity, but what's CTE? Google thinks I'm talking about Churches Together in England, Common Table Expressions, Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, and Center for Technology in Education. I don't think it's any of those.

Just a guess but: Cease To Exist.

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 pm

This is the internet, so I'll throw in my two cents on the "criteria" idea:
If I was a flag-maker (I'm not) and it was my time that was being spent on making the flags (it is), I could set any conditions I wanted to set.

This.^

But if a flag maker does opt to have requirements, perhaps having a certain number of posts on the forum would allow some new-but-active nations to still get flags.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Finished up Danatha's flag. Made one grunge and one non-grunge, as usual.

@Danatha: This was just a quick design. If you don't like it or want something added, tell me.

Non-Grunge

Grunge

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Okay, I promise that this will be the last time you hear from me, but could the stars in the black sections be made white?
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Nistertal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nistertal » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Icamera wrote:Okay, I promise that this will be the last time you hear from me, but could the stars in the black sections be made white?

Yeah, looks much better with the higher contrast:

and one with black stars for a symmetrical design:

@Sentinel XV: Your grunge effect gets better and better, great work! Do you have a premade overlay or how do you get it to look so cool?

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Nistertal wrote:
Icamera wrote:Okay, I promise that this will be the last time you hear from me, but could the stars in the black sections be made white?

Yeah, looks much better with the higher contrast:

and one with black stars for a symmetrical design:

@Sentinel XV: Your grunge effect gets better and better, great work! Do you have a premade overlay or how do you get it to look so cool?

I use Photoshop, so it's actually quite simple. I wish that I knew how to make my own grunge layers (it probably wouldn't be that hard, but honestly I don't have the time to learn), but all I do is Google "grunge textures", pick one I like, resize it on a new layer above the flag and reduce the opacity to the level I feel it looks best at. But thanks! I appreciate the praise, and your grunge textures look quite nice as well!

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:01 pm

These flags are for Ikruchystan. I really liked making this commission, because it took a lot of hands-on work and it was very fulfilling as a flag maker to see something that I wasn't sure about artistically come to life like these did.

@Ikruchystan: I made 2 versions, as I was unsure about the placement of the stripes.

Left-Aligned Stripes

Split Stripes

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:15 pm

The night is dragging on, but I decided to skip down to a simple commission (notably because the one preceding it has a broken link to its reference, making it nigh impossible to create at a quality level). Here is Kanslavia's grunge-layered flag.

The 100% Size Version (for Kanslavia):
http://i.imgur.com/Pgph6.jpg (linked to it instead of displaying in-thread to reduce picspam)

Scaled-Down Version (for this thread):

Nistertal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nistertal » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Mine are more like a bit of texture/depth than a real grunge effect. I just render some clouds^^. I'll definitely google for real grunge textures.
The Ikruchystan fllag looks awesome! I prefer the second version, as the motto doesn't overlap with the red stripe there.

One really really small issue: It looks like the barbed wire is behind the hand on the left side. Maybe you could expand it a bit into the hand. Possibly by copying a small part of the wire to this area, or just by darkening it.
A picture says more than a thousand words:

Otherwise it's perfect, and again cool grunge :)

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks for the advice, Nistertal. I went ahead and edited them.

Kanslavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanslavia » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:50 pm

Sentinel XV wrote:The night is dragging on, but I decided to skip down to a simple commission (notably because the one preceding it has a broken link to its reference, making it nigh impossible to create at a quality level). Here is Kanslavia's grunge-layered flag.

http://i.imgur.com/Pgph6.jpg (linked to it instead of displaying in-thread to reduce picspam)

(Image)

That is perfect, exactly what I wanted. Thank you kind sir and/or madam. :bow:

Also is there a tutorial for adding a grunge effect to images anywhere? I might need to do some in the future and it would help lighten the load on threads like this if I could figure out how to do it myself.

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Kanslavia wrote:
Sentinel XV wrote:The night is dragging on, but I decided to skip down to a simple commission (notably because the one preceding it has a broken link to its reference, making it nigh impossible to create at a quality level). Here is Kanslavia's grunge-layered flag.

(Image)

That is perfect, exactly what I wanted. Thank you kind sir and/or madam. :bow:

Also is there a tutorial for adding a grunge effect to images anywhere? I might need to do some in the future and it would help lighten the load on threads like this if I could figure out how to do it myself.

I'll give you my own tutorial. This is assuming that you use Photoshop.
  • Layer > New Layer
  • Select the new layer in the layer palette
  • Find your grunge texture (Google: "Grunge Texture")
  • Copy it and paste the image into the new layer
  • Slide the "Opacity" slider down to around 25% on the layer palette, or to whichever value you think looks best
  • ???
  • Profit

The Anglo Saxons
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo Saxons » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:59 am

Nistertal wrote:
The Anglo Saxons wrote:Hello, I'd like you to imagine the Dutch were the first to colonise Australia, could you make a flag to represent the Dutch in this large dusty red land?

Thanks

What about this? I couldn't decide how to color the Stars so here are three Ideas (In Spoiler 'cause they are big)

Tell me what you think!

Firstly, they look fantastic! I think maybe the first one is the better out of the three. Thank you very much for your time and effort.
Never, before this,
were more men in this island slain
by the sword's edge--as books and aged sages
confirm--since Angles and Saxons sailed here
from the east, sought the Britons over the wide seas,
since those warsmiths hammered the Welsh,
and earls, eager for glory, overran the land.-Battle of Brunanburh 937 AD

The Anglo Saxons
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo Saxons » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:05 am

[quote="Sentinel XV";p="8598069"]@The Anglo Saxons: Please fill out a form! :P

I'm sorry, call me simple if you'd like but I couldn't interpret the fill out form very well.
Never, before this,
were more men in this island slain
by the sword's edge--as books and aged sages
confirm--since Angles and Saxons sailed here
from the east, sought the Britons over the wide seas,
since those warsmiths hammered the Welsh,
and earls, eager for glory, overran the land.-Battle of Brunanburh 937 AD

Kengrieland
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kengrieland » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:16 pm

I'd like to be considered as a member of the Guild. I'm quite new to flag creating (only really started today!) so I haven't much in the way of a portfolio but please have a look at what I've created so far for myself and others (including coat of arms):

Kengriëland - Jega se Kengria || Flag of Kengriëland || Map of Kengriëland

Hör Hynëgsda Süpremska Rjöélą, Konegą Agnita XIX vąm Hüs vą Göthebiech-Völenten vą Kengriëland, Serenska Gröuta Iësogą vąn Olbug ân Örelien, Prinćessą vą Godland, Süpremska Örsaarą vąm Këngränske Vorsen.

Hia Myśtë Roielë Supremmë Hokenhyt, Kanikin Aknita XIX van da Huusu van Godabijś-Bulentu van Keńrilantu, Serennë Krassë Dućetin van Albuku i Orlěu, Prinćesin van Godlandu, Supremmë Obasejrin van da Keńrikë Armeju i Navyu.

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Kengrieland wrote:I'd like to be considered as a member of the Guild. I'm quite new to flag creating (only really started today!) so I haven't much in the way of a portfolio but please have a look at what I've created so far for myself and others (including coat of arms):

Excellent quality work, especially for someone this new to graphic design. Accepted with honors, sir.

Kengrieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kengrieland » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks very much. I'll check back when there are new projects to be done :) I like some of the textures you've used before... but I would never ask an artist to reveal his sources :P

Hör Hynëgsda Süpremska Rjöélą, Konegą Agnita XIX vąm Hüs vą Göthebiech-Völenten vą Kengriëland, Serenska Gröuta Iësogą vąn Olbug ân Örelien, Prinćessą vą Godland, Süpremska Örsaarą vąm Këngränske Vorsen.

Hia Myśtë Roielë Supremmë Hokenhyt, Kanikin Aknita XIX van da Huusu van Godabijś-Bulentu van Keńrilantu, Serennë Krassë Dućetin van Albuku i Orlěu, Prinćesin van Godlandu, Supremmë Obasejrin van da Keńrikë Armeju i Navyu.

Sentinel XV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentinel XV » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Kengrieland wrote:Thanks very much. I'll check back when there are new projects to be done :) I like some of the textures you've used before... but I would never ask an artist to reveal his sources :P

Google Images.

There are plenty of commissions waiting to be done, most of them on the 2nd and 3rd pages. Try your hand at one of them if you'd like. The gallery of finished commissions is at the bottom of the OP, so check it to make sure you're not making a commission that has already been finished.

Nistertal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nistertal » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Kengrieland, I'm impressed! You are setting new standards with the weaving flags. I gotta google how to to do that ASAP :D
Glad to have you here!

@Anglo Saxons: I cleaned the flag up a bit:

Image Image

Larger Versions in the Spoiler:

Image Image

Kengrieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kengrieland » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Greater Iceland wrote:Form
[list][*]Nation Name: Greater Iceland
[*]References:Well Kinda like the Austrailian flag but with icelandic flag instead of BRitish
[*]Color Scheme:Blue,White,Red
[*]Specifics:The Icelandic Flag,The Icelandic coat of arms and maybe some Stars
[*]Preferred Image Size:I dont Care
[*]Extras: i dont care

I hope you like this. I used the same blues and reds as in the Icelandic flag and used the New Zealand flag as the basis for this flag. If you would like any other alterations, don't hesitate to ask ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay