NATION

PASSWORD

The Voices of Gameplay: A Series of Interviews

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kogvuron
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kogvuron » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Very interesting read, can't wait for the next one to come out :D
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. " - William Ernest Henley

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar

Oliver the Mediocre
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oliver the Mediocre » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I'd say you should interview me, except I'm kind of boring to interview. :P
Oliver Marlowe
Quote Love
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time."

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:00 am

I'd say interview me, but I'm probably too much of a Unibot-henchman to be independently interesting <_<

I mean, a high level henchman, maybe even the dragon, but still a henchman. I need to upgrade to independent supervillian superhero <_<
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:20 am

If I interview someone from the UDL, it will likely be someone less vocal than Unibot. Among the goals of this publication is to hear voices that aren't heard through already existing news organs. So who knows?
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Issue 2: Drop Your Pants

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 pm

It is my pleasure to present the 2nd issue of

The Voices of Gameplay

A series of interviews, published monthly.

This edition features the words of Drop Your Pants, the current delegate of Lazarus and four year veteran of the Founderless Region Alliance. Beloved by raiders, defenders, and neutrals alike, DYP has agreed to share his story with us this month.

The following interview took place on Saturday, February 25, 2012, beginning at 7:59 PM and ending at 8:57 PM Eastern. It is unedited and unabridged. Enjoy!

Q: Good evening! You’re on the record with The Voices of Gameplay. Thank you for agreeing to this interview.

A: Thank you for having me.

Q: Let's start off with some ancient history ;) How did you get your start in NationStates? What would you call your first home region?

A: Hmmm, let’s see....I started NS because a friend told me to play it. Took me a week to get the right web address. After that I sat in a small region for a month. That was nearly 7 years ago, I think. [DYP was founded April 17, 2005 -ed.] I'd call The Youngworld my first and main home, even now. I was recruited by TG from a pacific and decided to check it out. Back then TYW was a 600 strong region with a bustling member base. They welcomed me with open arms and I never looked back. I learnt a lot in those days. I started getting into government positions, mostly FA. Eventually was MoFA then I had a spell as delegate when the region was at 200. If these answers look like copy and paste then they are, I hate lots of typing.

Q: No worries. So, what's The Youngworld like nowadays?

A: Dead as a doornail. The remaining members are there for the chats, we've our own facebook group that we spend more time on.

Q: I see. From there, how did you get involved in defending? Did The Youngworld have a defender military?

A: TYW was big into the warzones so I learned a lot about the whole raider/defender thing from that. I knew how to sneak raid a region well before I started to defend one :P TYW has been a defender group since forever (minus a brief invasion of TRR, CG will know all about that). After a lot of poking, TYW joined the ADN and then the FRA. Then merged into TITO. We had a fine tradition of defending when we were alive.....now we have a fine tradition of defending with other people :D Personally though, I was never big into the defending. The single update days meant really late nights or early mornings. My bed was more important. I was there more for the community.

Q: Despite that, you do have a four year service award from The FRA. How would you describe your role in that organization?

A: Unassigned community manager, part time spammer and all round diplomatic nightmare. I held a few positions in my time and had Global Mod for a while...no one was quite sure why I kept it. And the 4 years thing was because I wouldn't leave. I stopped recording my defenses once I got to Sergeant....I do that a lot. If I defend I do it because I want to. Not because it’s "the right thing" or for a petty ego boosting badge.

Q: Looking back, is there anyone you see as a mentor or a role model?

A: There's two, actually: Sir Lans for his father-like ability and general leadership, and Gateborg for his Foreign Affairs skills. Two of the greatest players I've known and I'm proud to have been able to play the game with them. But not BKB, he's a boring old fart :P

Q: Haha. So, obviously you haven't defended for a while, because your WA status seems to be tied up being delegate of some small unknown region. How did you get involved there, and what events led to your becoming delegate?

A: I got involved there because i knew half the members from my region whoring days. I was originally there as an ambassador and decided to get citizenship for the craic. 5 years later and I've done every job I could do......for one term I did all the cabinet positions when they all went inactive. Now I'm admin and serving my second term as delegate. And I owe it all to chatting to people :) And being a really dirty player during elections. If I want something I'll go for it and take the piss out of my rivals till they break.

Q: Region whoring? Can you elaborate on that term?

A: It’s something you don't see that much these days. It’s basically players in multiple regions. There's a few about, but back in my day (Yes, I'm playing the old card), there was a core group of about fifteen players who'd actually follow each other around regions getting jobs. In my case, I went to a region as an ambassador, gained citizenship and became an ambassador to another region and so forth. Got confusing near the end, I was ambassador to a region from another region where I was an ambassador from the first region. Made updates really interesting.

Q: Wow, sounds like it. So, how did you "take the piss" out of your rivals in elections? Tell us your best election story.

A: Ah don't make me remember detail, I'm useless at that. It’s a miracle I can remember TYW. I'd like to consider myself as a blunt, care-free individual. I don't take anything too seriously and if I get a reaction I'll keep going till I'm warned or banned. And anyway, if I enter an election I can normally count which users will vote for me from the start. The rest is just making fun of my rivals so people see I'm easy going and a good person to elect.

Q: During your term as delegate of Lazarus, the Pan-Sinker Security Pact was signed. Some of our readers may be unfamiliar with the Pan-Sinker Security Pact. Would you mind detailing what exactly it is, and what your role in it was?

A: I don't know what it is, it seems to change depending on the sinker you’re in and who's reading it. My role was limited in its creation. I was against Balder joining for awhile, much to the annoyance of NES and other government members. I changed my mind eventually and I just nodded when I had to. It’s only a stepping stone however, I see great things ahead.

Q: Out of curiosity, why were you against Balder joining?

A: I didn't feel their community was stable enough to make a decision for the region. I was currently being flamed by a government member and there was some unfavourable characters floating around. It took a lot of poking for me to change my mind, especially since I like getting reactions.

Q: Ahh, I see. So, you described the pact as a stepping stone a moment ago - care to elaborate on what the sinkers are stepping towards?

A: Closer relations and hopefully a powerful bloc of regions....one that will retaliate against threats. The other sinkers might not know this yet but it'll happen ;)

Q: Interesting...enough about that for now, I think. Recently, Lazarus was targeted by a Condemn proposal. Initially, you expressed support for it, but later campaigned against it, and have even posted publicly that you will ban recruiters from regions that supported the resolution on sight. What factors led you to support it at first, and what made you change your mind?

A: I'd love to say something funny here but really i was just trying to troll the SC. I wanted the badge for Lazarus, what an achievement it would be!!! Especially for something so petty as a Spanish theme. But after a bit of sense (mostly from Krull) I changed my support and asked all the people I'd asked to vote (there were more than I thought there'd be) to remove their votes or vote against it. I loved every second of it. And the banning, well that’s true. If you don't like the Lazarus rules concerning adspam on our RMB then ok. Just don't expect to be welcomed with open arms. If GGR can conform then so can you!

Q: Haha, I think the SC makes itself a pretty easy target for trolling. So, while the proposal was under debate, several game-created regions required that all recruitment advertisements to be posted in Klingon. Was there any coordination behind the scenes between GCR delegates, or did it simply catch on?

A: Earthie came up with the idea, I believe. An act of GCR solidarity. All the GCR's that changed their recruitment rules to show support have my thanks. It was nice to see Lazarus has friends out there. Personally I loved it, my next choice was Greek but Klingon was better.

Q: On a lighter note, it seems like every time The Black Hawks raid a region, one of your puppets happens to live there. What’s with that?

A: Region whoring again. I used to have puppets scattered across NS, mostly in founderless regions. I knew some of them would be raided. When influence was introduced I was over the moon. Some of my puppets are the oldest nations in some regions...Including LWU till I let it die last week :P

Q: May I inquire as to the significance of the sheep?

A: Everyone needs a hobby. Mine is getting close to nature. So I might as well have a warm wool coat when I do it. That answer took 5 minutes to come up with. I'm a little sad.

Q: You get close to nature...by being a sheep?

A: Not exactly. It’s a traditional Irish pastime which only sheep farmers would know. Can't say anything else.

Q: OH. :shock: ANYWAY, BACK TO LAZARUS. Will this be your last term as delegate? If so, what do you plan to do next?

A: Yes this is my last term. I always intended to only take on term but I thought, “Why not do it again?” So I'm aiming for a year and then that’s it. Out of sinker politics. I'll keep citizenship. As for the future, well it’s not exactly a secret. I'll be trying out raiding for a bit. I've been considering it for a few months now...could have been all those raiders I've talked to about treaties with Lazarus :P I've got a list of regions to raid. So if you've ever harmed Laz or annoyed me check your founder nation because I'll be coming soon *insert evil laugh here*

Q: Well, on behalf of The Voices of Gameplay and our readership, I’d like to thank you for telling your story. I hope your voice finds willing ears in the community.

That concludes Issue #2 of The Voices of Gameplay!If you have an idea for an interview subject, telegram Crushing Our Enemies with a link to their main nation and why you think their story should be told. Look forward to our next issue, to be published on March 31!
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Nice one, good choice for a interviewee. *rambles on about how much he REAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYY wanted Condemn Lazarus to be passed* Maybe one day I'll be interview-worthy.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:15 am

Pretty much all of what ^ said.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:18 am

Was a fun interview, pity about the timezones :P
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

New New York
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New New York » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 am

Next time you should interview somebody who's not switching sides. Who's next: Falc? :P
Do not presume to know my mind. If I haven't specifically said I believe something, don't assume that I do.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:32 am

Can't get more neutral than someone in the middle :P

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:40 am

I actually didn't know he was switching when I scheduled the interview, haha. That was pure sweet sweet coincidence.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 am

Hurray for sheep delegates! Nice interview :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:I actually didn't know he was switching when I scheduled the interview, haha. That was pure sweet sweet coincidence.

No one knew really :P I wasn't even intending to come out of the closest till i was done in Laz :blush:

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Woo-hoo! I got an exclusive!

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Nice interviews :) . Good initiative.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Two interviews, two raider-switchers. XD
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

A Million Voices
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby A Million Voices » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Good stuff.
Silencing an opponent is not the same as converting him.

Spartzerium
Envoy

Founded: May 24, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Spartzerium » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Obviously COE needs to do these more often. Each time he does, someone switches. :P
NS Married to Tramiar <3
Father of Rawr, Mall, Jakker, Severisen, and Talisi
I once was a defender...
Former Chief Lieutenant - UDL
Former AC, VC (2 terms), CoDF (2 terms), RRO, General of the Alliance, and more - FRA
Former King, VC, and IA Minister - CoN
Former Vice Commander, Chief of Defense - CoJ

I once was a Forum 7'er...
Founder of The United Church of Reppy
Also started various other random forum games

And I once... had other random info I didn't know where to put...
Originally joined NationStates May 25, 2008.
Formerly known as Spartzerina/New Spartzerina.
Retired Major / Field Marshal - The Black Hawks
TBH Forum - TBH News Thread

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Spartzerium wrote:Obviously COE needs to do these more often. Each time he does, someone switches. :P

Yes, interview lots of experienced raiders.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:17 pm

This month's issue will be delayed, as I have MUCH more important things to write at the moment. Expect publication on or before April 6th. Thank you for your patience.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:This month's issue will be delayed, as I have MUCH more important things to write at the moment. Expect publication on or before April 6th. Thank you for your patience.

Understandable.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Fischistan wrote:
Spartzerium wrote:Obviously COE needs to do these more often. Each time he does, someone switches. :P

Yes, interview lots of experienced raiders.

I'm torn between saying he should interview Uni (I think the idea of raider Uni is hilarious), or being glad that he won't (it is also terrifying).

*waits for the newest one*
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Tramiar wrote:
Fischistan wrote:Yes, interview lots of experienced raiders.

I'm torn between saying he should interview Uni (I think the idea of raider Uni is hilarious), or being glad that he won't (it is also terrifying).

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Likely subjects of interviews will be players [...] who do not often post long comments or public statements.

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:
Tramiar wrote:I'm torn between saying he should interview Uni (I think the idea of raider Uni is hilarious), or being glad that he won't (it is also terrifying).

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Likely subjects of interviews will be players [...] who do not often post long comments or public statements.

Don't you quote things at me. I said you won't. :p
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

Noirdetoile
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Noirdetoile » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 am

Tramiar wrote:
Fischistan wrote:Yes, interview lots of experienced raiders.

*waits for the newest one*

Unibot Interviewed before the inception of the UDL
It might be interesting to see how his viewpoint has changed, if at all.....

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay