NATION

PASSWORD

[NSNS]Interview: Naivetry, the benevolent caffeinated despot

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
NS News Service
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

[NSNS]Interview: Naivetry, the benevolent caffeinated despot

Postby NS News Service » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:41 am

Interview: Naivetry

NSNS: Good evening, readers! Sad news reached us when we heard that Naivetry, also known as Kandarin the Younger, is resigning her post as Delegate of the Rejected Realms. Of course, this asks for an interrogation... erm, interview. So tonight, in an NSNS exclusive, we have her: Naivetry!

* Naivetry waves.

Naivetry, welcome to the studio, and thank you for allowing us to interview you.

Thank you for asking me to be here!

You are very welcome. On to our first question! How did it feel to have Kandarin entrust you with his nation and the delegacy of TRR?

Both humbling and terrifying. I'd always admired Kandarin as a player and as a friend; he was a real role model for me when I first discovered NS politics. So while I thought of it as a tremendous honor, it was one that made me more nervous than anything.

How do you look back on your term as Delegate?

I think it was a challenging time - both for me personally and for the region. In the nine months or so between when I accepted Kandarin and when I announced my resignation, we had to deal with the controversy over the delegacy transfer, the first ever election for the delegacy of TRR, writing a constitution, two serious threats to the delegacy (Neenee's endoswapping and JAL's invasion), a citizen caught plotting with outside forces to overthrow the region (Anur-Sanur), and the revelation of a number of other secret identities - from Biyah as Manetheren River to Sedge as Devonitians. There were plenty of times when I wished we could have just a month or two to settle into our new constitution as a community before the next crisis came up. But at the same time, I think dealing with those various crises gave us all a chance to get to know each other better than we would have if it had all been smooth sailing. And for better or worse, the drama has attracted all sorts of new citizens... and that's always a good thing to see.

Is there anything you would have done differently in hindsight?

Heh, where should I begin? :P Accepting Kandarin without consulting the region was a mistake in hindsight, of course. I took his word for it that there weren't people in TRR who would care what happened to the delegacy, and it turns out that just wasn't the case. Second, I would have been more forthcoming when I discovered Neenee's identity as Pristine Angel, rather than simply dropping worried hints about her nation and hoping others would take the threat seriously. As the citizens of TRR taught me, keeping confidences may be important, but my responsibility to ensure the safety of the region as TRR's Delegate ought to have come first. Third, I would have paid more attention to tension between my officers - particularly Biyah, Dali, and Sedge - and made an effort to address that tension head-on rather than ignoring it. Biyah and Dali's decision to blow the whistle on Sedge in TSP caused much more damage to the region as a community than it would have if those three Officers had agreed on the means and the timing of the information release. TRR as a whole deserved to find out about it first, and my failure to discuss the issue with Biyah, Dali, and Sedge allowed the situation to turn from 'potentially very bad' to 'seriously catastrophic'.

Oh. While we're discussing things I'd change, I'd make sure to vote earlier on WA resolutions, too, so I wouldn't miss any by mistake. I've done that with alarming frequency... those deadlines sneak up on you.

Any favorite moments you'd like to share with our readers?

I feel like saying 'that time when we caught Anur trying to get Devonitians to invade TRR', but that would be mean, wouldn't it? Let's see... pressing the banject button on my nation to see what would happen was fun. Also the TRR lolcats thread, all the insanity on IRC, and reading pretty much any post by Thought transference. As for serious favorite moments, it's been one of the most amazing experiences of my NS career to watch people getting involved in TRR. New citizenship applications are the best.

What was the hardest decision you've had to make as Delegate?

The decision to leave. Well, I'm not sure that's true. I think I was the most torn over the decision to cut back on the time I spent in Equilism... not because I wanted to, but because I simply did not have enough hours in the day to dedicate myself to two regions.

What do you feel was a defining difference between you and Kandarin the Elder?

To steal a line from Biblical Importance during elections... That's a question you should ask your parents. Though I don't think it made much of a difference for people who were used to him. ;) Honestly, I'm not sure. In some of the areas people have mentioned to me - like keeping quiet about things I was told in confidence - we were not so different in reality; there's a reason he asked me to take his nation, after all. I think I send telegrams and swap endorsements a little more diligently, while Kandy managed to be active in TEP and on the official forums in addition to his duties as delegate... though TRR was a quieter place, then.

Do you have any tips for your successor?

Oh, geez. Short answer: yes. Long answer: where do you want me to start? There's the day-to-day practicalities (endoswap daily - it's easier to keep up with it a little at a time), there's the 'things you don't realize until you're a delegate' (people send you a LOT of telegrams), and then there's the subtler side: the ethics of politics and the politics of ethics (if anyone wants to be first, he must be last of all and servant of all).

The practical things are easy enough... things like, 'try to strike up conversations when you telegram people'. But the ethics and the politics... ah. I could talk about that stuff for weeks. Best not get me started! :P

How do you envision the future of the Rejected Realms?

I want TRR to be the place where we all meet as equals - a region that welcomes players of all different origins, experiences, and ideals, bound together by common ownership of, concern for, and service to the region they have chosen to call home. I want it to be a meeting ground and a crossroads, where people who used to know each other only from opposite sides of a battlefield can come and sit at the same table and work together for the good of the region they share. That may sound silly and idealistic, but as you may have noticed, I'm a silly and idealistic person. ;)

Will you return to the Rejected Realms some day?

As long as I am able to maintain it, Kandarin will never leave. I have to keep the fridge stocked with the RR secret sauce, after all.

What will happen to the Cult of Naivetry?

*shifts uncomfortably* Well, whatever people want to do with it, I guess. That's how it got there. Honestly, I'd prefer it if people would forget all about me and just be decent to each other. That'd be nice.

Anything you'd like to add?

One thing, I guess. There's been a lot of back-and-forth over the nature of TRR lately - why the Rejected Realms Army is defender if the region itself is neutral, etc. I left this on the RMB five weeks ago, but let me share it where it's easier to find:
So as I see it, at any rate, we don't have a raider army because we want people who want to be here. We're neutral as a region because we want everyone who wants to be here to have a chance. And we have a defender army because some of us want to be sure that only the people who want to be here end up here - which, when you think about it, is probably the best way we have to ensure our own security.

Like Kandarin the Elder, I have very little problem with raids that tag and brag. Like him, too, I don't even have a problem with having a raider group in TRR, as long as that's what they do, and as long as they're doing it in a way that reflects well on us as a community - with politeness, good humor, and concern for whether or not everyone involved is having fun. It's when you start ejecting natives - griefy raids - that the security of TRR is negatively impacted, and that's why it would be a contradiction of principle for TRR to take part in such activity. Individuals - even TRR citizens - are of course free to behave as they choose as members of other regions... keeping in mind that the people they're kicking out of other regions may very well become the people voting on their Officer application in TRR in the near future. :)

I'm saying this here because I want people outside of TRR to understand how things look inside of it. When we turn NS into a grand conflict between Raiders and Defenders, we do a disservice to all of the players who are here just to have some fun. Morality may be black and white, but the NS world is in color. People - all people - are what makes this game worthwhile, and rules don't matter as much as relationships. There's a higher principle at work here than the drive for activity or the urge to protect, and that principle is love. Get that part right, and everything else will follow.

Naivetry, thank you for answering our questions, and so thoroughly too!

You're quite welcome!

This concludes our interview with Naivetry. We wish her good luck in her future endeavours. In other news, the Rejected Realms' coffee shops have announced a month of mourning. This was NSNS, reporting live from Naivetry's Temple. Good night, everyone!

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 am

I think I can speak for many people when I say that I'm going to miss Nai.
Last edited by Mahaj on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am

Quoting the epistle to the Corinthians is so cliched, Nai :P
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Andacantra
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am

I've not known her very long, but Nai is totally awesome, as was this interview. Wub all round! :hug:
Abbey
Chief Kitty of the Cat Burglars
Bi-gameplayers: Raiding and defending because both are fun and ok
Nationstates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

Biyah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Biyah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:05 pm

The Cult Will Never Die.

... so says the High Priest.

:P
-Lord Menelian, Patriarch of The House of Rahl, Reborn.

So sleep soundly in your beds tonight, for judgement falls upon you at first light. I'm the hand of God, I'm the dark messiah, I'm the vengeful one.

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:06 pm

I don't know Nai very well, but in the time I have know her she's struck me as one of the nicest people in NS. Every single time I've pissed of people in TRR (oh gods, so many times....) she's come to my help in some way or another, usually just with a kind word, and defuses the situation.

As I've said elsewhere; replacing her will be hard, if not quite impossible :(
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

-Carta-
Envoy

Founded: Apr 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -Carta- » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm going to miss Nai... :(

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:14 pm

The CS Lewis quote was a nice touch :)
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Awwww Nai! *hugs*

Ultimately I disagree on the Christian emphasis on ' Christian Love' -- it appears to be a vacuous concept without any tangible definition which is sort of worshipped dogmatically and established abductively. Those who don't worship it in some manner are seen as 'incapable of recognizing its beauty', instead of seen as having a legitimate alternative view. If one looks for acceptance or absolution from me they will receive it, but don't expect me to turn my back on those who need their rights, sovereign powers, freedoms and liberties protected.

'Friendly' tagging doesn't exist and will dishonour the Rejected Realms greatly except to the minority that 'likes' to see World Factbook Entries spammed against native community's will. Not to the mention: who is doing the detagging? Oh yeah -- volunteers. I'm sure they'll be very receptive of the Rejected Realm's spamming campaign.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Unibot II wrote:Awwww Nai! *hugs*

Ultimately I disagree on the Christian emphasis on ' Christian Love' -- it appears to be a vacuous concept without any tangible definition which is sort of worshipped dogmatically and established abductively. Those who don't worship it in some manner are seen as 'incapable of recognizing its beauty', instead of seen as having a legitimate alternative view. If one looks for acceptance or absolution from me they will receive it, but don't expect me to turn my back on those who need their rights, sovereign powers, freedoms and liberties protected.

'Friendly' tagging doesn't exist and will dishonour the Rejected Realms greatly except to the minority that 'likes' to see World Factbook Entries spammed against native community's will. Not to the mention: who is doing the detagging? Oh yeah -- volunteers. I'm sure they'll be very receptive of the Rejected Realm's spamming campaign.

Unibot, be careful when you sit down or that stick up your ass might rupture your spleen. :p

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:31 am

Some of you may have noticed TRR has a new delegate on paper and in the WFE, but not on the region page where it matters. I hope you’ll put up with my rambling for just a little longer as I apologize for the delay and try to put into words the thing that's been haunting me.

It’s easy to describe, but not so easy to admit. I've been afraid that everything I've done as Delegate has been for nothing in the end, and so I've failed the only test that mattered: the test of consequence. I’ve been afraid that what we had as a region was good while it lasted, but I couldn't make it last. So what was the point of any of it in the end?

Just a few hours ago, I was still plotting how to smooth over the transition to the new delegate - how to give TRR the best new start I could instead of just abandoning it. (Hint: my solution involved ridiculous numbers of telegrams and a delay longer than many would consider reasonable.) As I argued (with myself and others), complained, and vented, however, I kept returning to a few inexorable truths. I can't fix the mess on the forum. I can't bring people back or keep us from losing them. I can't make anyone care. And in what time remains to me, I don't even have the strength to try - because I know trying again would mean I'd never leave at all.

For a while now, I've been so tired of dealing with it that I’ve wanted to wash my hands of the whole thing, but I told myself TRR deserved more. There were people I could trust with its safety, sure; but that's never been what mattered to me about TRR. What mattered was its heart and its soul. The security of the delegacy be damned as long as we did the lonely things, the hard things, the things that were as foolish as they were right.

It's hard to give up the right to make those choices. If I were a better person, I'd trust others to make them when I can't. But at the end of the day, I'm just a woman who’s been living out a lovely dream, and it's time to wake up. God knows I don't want to. I’d hoped to find others who would join the dream with me and carry on with it when it was time for me to go. But I’ve realized that dragging this out won't make that happen any more than handpicking my successor could have guaranteed it. The future is too full of uncertainties even for the best-laid schemes.

Kandy says he felt the same way when it was his turn. He couldn't tell me then, of course, how hard it is to let go and let others hold the things you love... how impossibly terrifying. I think that's why we only do it when we have no choice.

It’s a quieter echo of the terror of death: not the fear of what does or does not lie beyond for you, but the fear of what will happen when you're gone, and the horrible rising certainty that your whole life has been meaningless. To fight that down without despairing, to say that what you did was worth doing because you loved it and the love made it worthy... that's the challenge to be met, and I have so often failed it.

But let me meet it now. For better or for worse, it’s time - with everything said and unsaid, done and undone, the projects just beginning and the dreams unfulfilled, the laughter and the tears and all that great unbounded goodness at the heart of a flawed creation... how could any of that, much less all of that, be meaningless?

So let me leave and let go, and let it pass to those who will tend it as lovingly as I ever could, and more than I can now.

Good luck, my friends, and goodbye.

Thought transference
Secretary

Founded: Aug 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Thought transference » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:56 am

Nai, plainly the time has come and some of us at least wish it could've been dragged out just that bit longer. Again. I've said it before: I wish you all that's good in your future. But that doesn't mean you're off the hook for leaving TRR. :p

And if you use leaving as an excuse for never coming back to visit, you'll find yourself hunted down, no matter where you go....

*hugs good-bye*
Peace and coffee,
--- Tt

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:37 pm

We'll miss you Nai :( You did an amazing job looking after us, we couldn't have asked for anyone more caring....or bossy :blush:

Have a good life :hug:
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Rozonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rozonia » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Nai, I think you've done a great job as TRR Delegate. Good luck with your RL stuff! :)

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:50 am

Goodbye, you'll be missed :)
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Fotar
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 am

Best of luck, Nai. It was nice to know you :)
Founder and Lord Regent of the second Council of Narnia
One-time Delegate of Balder
Progress through Respect. Power through Honor.

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Darkesia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 am

:hug:
Good bye, Nai.
May your heart carry you so much higher in RL than you could possibly soar in NS.
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Kshrlmnt
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kshrlmnt » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Nai, nooooooooo. *drags back*
Elindra Kshrlmnt Dion Diablessa
Lady of Loquacity and Archempress of Unknown

Mistress of the lolcats, Secretary of NS Disney, Author of Ask Ellie, Victim of the illustrious Flag Thief, Member of PETI
She whose name can too be pronounced

Koth - Last Monday at 9:38 AM
I get sad when I offend elindra because I don't intend to yet I will do absolutely nothing to prevent it

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:08 am

And another one of the elders leaves...

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Nai's not an elder, though also not a newbie :P

More of an in between.

If you mean Kandarin, he left several months ago.

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Take care Nai.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific
Former Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired
Punk Daddy - Citizen of TSP

In TWP, we go Commando. - Darkesia

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Crazy girl wrote:Nai's not an elder, though also not a newbie :P

More of an in between.

Hmmmmmmm? Must be thinking of someone else, but I couldve sworn Nai's been here for a long time.

Rozonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rozonia » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Crazy girl wrote:Nai's not an elder, though also not a newbie :P

More of an in between.

Hmmmmmmm? Must be thinking of someone else, but I couldve sworn Nai's been here for a long time.

Everything's relative. Compared to old-timers like CG, Nai is still a young squirt. :)

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Rozonia wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Hmmmmmmm? Must be thinking of someone else, but I couldve sworn Nai's been here for a long time.

Everything's relative. Compared to old-timers like CG, Nai is still a young squirt. :)

Well, I was thinking Nai was that old for some reason.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay