NATION

PASSWORD

TGS: Cuthroat Politics

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Wintermoot wrote:
Scissoro wrote:Actually Wintermoot, Screw my last statement.

I have a region of 30 nations with 9 nations active in the last 24 hours on the forum. Your region has 460 nations with only 21 active. That means my region is 30% active while yours is less than 5% active. By that statistic, even though we are small, even though we blow up on one another from time to time, our region is far more active than yours. Good god, we would kill for a region your size, but if it means only 5% activity, I would rather stick with my small, instable region of 30

We have done everything right, beaten the odds, and came out with a superior system.

lol, such a poor attempt at an apples to oranges comparison. Almost any small region with a community will have a higher percentage of active members than a large region. That isn't due to a 'superior system', that's due to being a small region. However, if it makes you feel better to spin it off as 'superior'', then by all means. I'll be most interested in seeing how far your spin actually carries you into the future.

It has to do with age more than size. New regions, usually small, tend to have more activity because new players are new to NS, everything looks fresh to them. They also tend to be younger in RL, having lots a time to spend online. Most are in highschool or just entering college.

Larger regions are older due to the time needed to grow. Players are less interested with NS, many are sick of approving issues. They also tend to be older in RL. For e.g. many of us who started playing the game in 2004 are now in our 30s. Of course somebody's online activity is lower if you have a real job, family to feed, and children running around.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Excuses excuses :P
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Wintermoot
Envoy

Founded: May 09, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Wintermoot » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Goddess Relief Office wrote:It has to do with age more than size. New regions, usually small, tend to have more activity because new players are new to NS, everything looks fresh to them. They also tend to be younger in RL, having lots a time to spend online. Most are in highschool or just entering college.

Larger regions are older due to the time needed to grow. Players are less interested with NS, many are sick of approving issues. They also tend to be older in RL. For e.g. many of us who started playing the game in 2004 are now in our 30s. Of course somebody's online activity is lower if you have a real job, family to feed, and children running around.

It would be interesting to see the demographics behind some of the regions, but I don't personally see how it can be an age thing if those large and old regions are still recruiting new, young players into their regions. If those larger regions didn't recruit new people, they would quickly cease to be large regions, I would think.
Inric Nordrim Kestar
Monarch of Wintreath

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:29 pm

There is a difference. Comparing Winreath and Wysteria for e.g. I expect 70 percent of yours are under 25 years old while 70 percent of their members are above 25.

Super large regions like Europeia and 10KI are more mixed due to their continuous recruitment programs. But it doesn't change the premise that a good portion of their regulars are older. The average age of the region would be higher than the op's region, for example, if I were to make an educated guess. Its not a bad thing, older regions are more stable, even though he average activity divided by player may be lower.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Scissoro
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Goddess Relief Office wrote:
Wintermoot wrote:lol, such a poor attempt at an apples to oranges comparison. Almost any small region with a community will have a higher percentage of active members than a large region. That isn't due to a 'superior system', that's due to being a small region. However, if it makes you feel better to spin it off as 'superior'', then by all means. I'll be most interested in seeing how far your spin actually carries you into the future.

It has to do with age more than size. New regions, usually small, tend to have more activity because new players are new to NS, everything looks fresh to them. They also tend to be younger in RL, having lots a time to spend online. Most are in highschool or just entering college.

I had to quote this, A large number of our members are older. Ive been playing since 2005. Am 30 years old, and just wanted to do something different for a change. While our region is a bit over a month old, I think only one nation has been recruited who actually was starting the game for the first time.
The Global Syndicate A Dynamic, Fast Paced Region

Wintermoot
Envoy

Founded: May 09, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Wintermoot » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:51 pm

You're probably right about Wintreath, although I can't speak for Wysteria.

I'm not disputing that member age may be a factor, but there are probably additional factors that play into it. For example, smaller regions offer a more personal, intimate experience. When Wintreath grew into a large region, we actually had several people leave because they wanted to be in a small region and we were no longer that. I think there's the idea that individuals can get lost in larger regions too...I see that in a lot of recruitment messages, and admitting they probably have a point there.

Still, it's an interesting topic. I try to keep a lot of statistics and comparisons at hand, but I never thought about considering demographics before.
Inric Nordrim Kestar
Monarch of Wintreath

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Wintermoot wrote:You're probably right about Wintreath, although I can't speak for Wysteria.

I'm not disputing that member age may be a factor, but there are probably additional factors that play into it. For example, smaller regions offer a more personal, intimate experience. When Wintreath grew into a large region, we actually had several people leave because they wanted to be in a small region and we were no longer that. I think there's the idea that individuals can get lost in larger regions too...I see that in a lot of recruitment messages, and admitting they probably have a point there.

Still, it's an interesting topic. I try to keep a lot of statistics and comparisons at hand, but I never thought about considering demographics before.

Maybe a few region-wide polls will be in order.
But, I think it also depends on your target audience. Our regional target audience is older nations who have been around for a while and gotten bored with "the status quo". Therefore when we recruit, we try to do so through word of mouth. Since I personally love to recruit, but have never been able to justify buying telegram stamps, (nor can complete with them), word of mouth recruiting tends to be the way we do things. That, and a player who has been around the block on NS would feel a bit more comfortable than a brand new player. Although, of the few brand new players who have come to this region, they are often "stand-offish" by this region because it seems a bit too dynamic. When they go and check out other slower-paced regions, they get bored and return. That exact situation happened with two of the guardians on the round table at the moment.

I guess we will see.

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 pm

We shall allow any citizen to run for the position of Head Recruiter, who shall be tasked with enlisting more nations to aid in recruitment; we shall establish that the election for this position shall occur on the 8th of every month and also impeach Guardian Alyekra from the Round Table, that, should this axiom be repealed Alyekra will remain as a citizen until re-appointed, selected, or elected to office.

This is the most hilarious thing I've seen all week. 10/10. good game.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 am

Here is your Second Session Award! :clap:

Last edited by Scissoro on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vrolondia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vrolondia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:35 am

From what it sounds like this is a laissez-faire government, and as such quickly fell into the laissez-faire trap: No true leader means no true rules
Last edited by Vrolondia on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
My hobbies include forming opinions about things and arguing on the internet.

Milozoldyck wrote:That's why I'm going back to RP. GP is hopeless. Have fun bringing those windmills to justice, Don Quixote.

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:51 am

Vrolondia wrote:From what it sounds like this is a laissez-faire government, and as such quickly fell into the laissez-faire trap: No true leader means no true rules

That is somewhat true. There are ten Axioms (called the Absolute Axioms which are the foundation of the region. You could call them a 'constitution' but they do not function as such. We do have many other axioms that different people draft for purposes from wanting to impose their own ideology to wanting to better the region. But, all those can be repealed just as easily by the next group of people in power.

We tend to view most of NationStates as falling into these two groups, neither of which are supported by the Absolute Axioms, but sometimes supported by various citizens and guilds within:

1. Most regions are built for unity in the belief that through unity, strength and longevity will result. They strive for regional governments that are structurally sound, with rigid and specific constitutions and laws. Their leaders hold long terms in office (3 months up to a year). The founder of the region often holds a special place in the government for the sole reason of being the founder. If most regions goal is security, safety, and community, these commonalities are relatively standard.

2. Most regions build their government around a specific ideology, and view nations with different ideologies as a threat if they gain the majority. Regions build around a Monarchy, will not succumb lightly to libertarianism. Republics or federations do not like to succumb to imperialists and dictatorships. While these regions will often recognize people of all ideological backgrounds they rarely let those people mold the government to it. This restricting policy is also nearly universally the standard practice.

---
And that is what sets us apart. This week, or this month the government may lean strongly libertarian, Next week it could be communist, the week after monarchy, the week after a republic. Nations are encouraged to change the government however they wish, and our 10 Absolute Axioms allow them to do so rather easily. Every region has that one nation who wants to overthrow the government and rewrite the constitution. We have all seen people who call for revolution from time (or have done it ourselves). This is a region where it can actually happen. Last week, I was on top of the region, dominant guild in power, this past week, I had to succumb to another group of people who hold different goals than my own. Next week, who knows what can happen. Its all about stimulating activity, because in this region, you will win sometimes and you will lose sometimes. This region isn't a PeeWee T-ball league for five year olds where everyone gets a trophy. Success comes when you fight for it and win. What is unique here is that the more power you have the harder it is to hold onto it, and every guild, every citizen, and every law but the Ten Absolutes can be replaced in an instant, with some motivation and a good strategy.
---

Our Goal is activity, not unity. The region was designed with the following things in mind:

Rethink Regional Goals: The Global Syndicate does not seek unity, stability or peace. Our primary goal is activity. The Absolute Axioms were written to stimulate activity, debate, interpretation, and discussion. They are intentionally vague. They are intentionally controversial, with a lot of missing information. If activity is the goal, and controversy creates activity, then a controversial legal foundation is required to achieve that goal.

Increase Speed: From election times to term times, the speed and pace of The Global Syndicate is fast. While it is possible to stay in office for longer than a month, nearly all government positions establish a month as the term time. Elections are short, often a day or two, and so are voting times. If you know you have a short time to get something done, it tends to get done faster. Because things are getting accomplished faster, more is getting done, and activity has increased. Speed is essential to increase activity.

Detachment from the Region: While The Global Syndicate is a region on NationStates, the government functions independently of that region. Citizens are nations from any region who register on our forum and sign our citizenship oath. Membership in the region is not required, and thus, the founder has no 'special rights or responsibilities'. He is equal to all other nations. Likewise, Nations who come from foreign regions for embassies are treated as citizens as well, with full rights and abilities. We do not believe in restricting the rights of an ambassador, that is against the goal of activity.

Unity and Loyalty: Every nation is different. Some agree with other nations, some do not. We do not force all nations to get along. Nor do we have a mechanism for discriminating against nations who the majority may disagree with. As a result, national loyalty falls toward our system of government first and the region itself second. Personal disputes are commonplace, but those disputes also creates activity, achieving our goal yet again. Nations are ultimately loyal to themselves. Asking those nations to be loyal to a specific ideology is considered 'exclusionary' and therefor not conducive of our goal of Activity.

An All-Encompassing Ideology: One interesting side effect of stripping ideology out of the Absolute Axioms is that the Absolute Axioms can appeal to any ideology. Dictators can do just as well within the Absolute Axioms as those who support democracy. By having no specific ideology, the Absolute Axioms can easily appeal to all ideologies. Not only does it put the government up for grabs, but it entices nations to want to enact their own interpretation. A federalist sees the Absolute Axioms as being a federalist document, while a dictator sees it as monarchial. The Absolute Axioms have a unique ability to appeal to any nation of any ideology.

Re-defining Strength: A strong government is one that has the ability to be stressed. A stronger government has the ability to adapt. The Absolute Axioms simply provide a framework to build a government on. If that government fails, it can easily be removed, and a new government with entirely different ideals can be built. The Absolute Axioms are not a constitution, but simply a 'framework' at which a government can be built. In this way, the framework is solid, and without the ability to collapse. Our strength lies in our ability to adapt.

Adaptability: Because dictators will see the Absolute Axioms as authoratative, and proponents of democracy will see them as very democratic, their appeal is widespread. The threat of one ideology dominating the government is ultimately in the mind of the viewers perceived vision. Often, the government can have numerous radically different ideological nations in office at the same time and feel content that their presence is helping their cause. Competition arises because people want other like-minded people serving with them, but there is no mechanism from preventing any citizen from serving in government. This hightens the perceived threat of a different ideology dominating the government, and forces those in power to act accordingly for self-preservation.
Last edited by Scissoro on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 pm

BrazC Appointed Grand Chancellor
Earlier today, BrazC became the fifth Grand Chancellor of The Global Syndicate. Statistically, BrazC is the second Grand Chancellor to be appointed by a previous Grand Chancellor both of which were from Scissoro. He is the first Grand Chancellor not to be either Scissoro or The Salaxalans. This comes at the heels of a surprise axiom ratified that seated Scissoro as the Grand Chancellor yesterday. Scissoro held true to his promise that he did not want to serve as Grand Chancellor again in the near future. The appointment of BrazC has sparked a sudden burst of activity in the region. Grand Chancellor BrazC has stated his first intended goal is to fill the Round Table to capacity.

Flag of Grand Chancellor BrazC

Communism Vs Capitalism Exploiters
Two new guilds have been proposed yet both are awaiting a second nation so they can be voted in by the Round Table. Guardian Hofe created a petition to establish of a new guild called the Communist Party. He has invited several nations to the region, but they have yet to sign up for citizenship. Meanwhile, to counteract the Communist Party Guild, another guild petition arose, the Capitalist Exploiters Party, and was proposed by Alyekra. It remains to be seen where these guilds go from here. Potentially they could plunge the remainder of the Second Session into a world of strong ideological battles.

Elections Set
Elections have been set to begin in 45 hours from the time of this news issue. Currently elections for Premier, and two Guardian positions are open. All citizens (or any nation from any region, who becomes a citizen) are encouraged to announce their candidacy on the forum, and begin harvesting votes from where ever they can get them. At the moment, only Scissoro has begun his campaign for Elected Guardian.
Last edited by Scissoro on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:43 am

Shifting Sands

With the creation of the Communist Party Guild yesterday by Hofe and Jando and the Capitalist Exploiters Party Guild today by Alyekra and Anathema Armaments, the debate is picking up as the two guilds seemed destined to oppose each-other from the start. Alyekra led the charge yesterday stating that Hofe's "not making it sound like a good thing." The two nations have been back and forth over the issue as the debate intensifies.

Meanwhile, as the election draws near, Scissoro of the Imperialist Guard Guild has been focusing on a strategy to win three of the Round Table's Six seats. Since the collapse of the Common Sense Resistance Guild, the Imperial Guard has become the largest guild in the region. Scissoro has introduced legislation to repeal the Common Sense Resistance Guild under the grounds that it has fallen below two citizens... an aggressive move as Scissoro has proposed legislation for every guild that fails to meet the requirements.

Recent discussions in the region have taken a new turn, as increasing the power of the Premier has been talked about. Currently on the Round Table: Power of a Premier is being voted on. The proposal itself grants the premier the power to lead over Immigration and Cultural Ministries (two ministries that do not yet exist), as well as requires a 24 hour 'grace period' for opening election votes. Currently the regional standard is 48 hours.

The region itself has seen a spike in activity, since the standoff between Alyekra and Scissoro ended on April 18th. The forum surpassed 5,000 posts, with forum posts averaging between 80 and 100 per day. This is a sharp increase as forum posts were usually below 30 since the start of the Second Session on April 5th.

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 am

Communist Party Fraud Discovered

April 22, 2014

The Communist Party Guild, founded by Hofe, a nation who had recently been appointed Guardian was discovered to hold multiple forum accounts to justify his guild and potentially use it to manipulate votes. Axiom 24: Third Chancelloral Decree requires the forum administrator to conduct a security check of the forum to insure that the elections and region maintain true, that no duplicate accounts are created for faudulent purposes. When Scissoro made the check, he discovered that Hofe, Ryoma, and Jando were the same person. After Grand Chancellor BrazC confirmed this he ordered all three accounts to be banned from the forum. With only Guardian Anathema Armaments serving on the Round Table, and no citizens left in the Communist Party Guild, the guild was quickly closed.

The reactions to this discovery were generally seen as disappointing. Anathema Armaments stated "That is a most unfortunate turn of events" while Scissoro commented stating: "While We all want an active and populous region, cheating is never the right answer."

Despite the drama, the elections opened on time. With Alyekra running for Premier and Scissoro for the elected Guardian, both unopposed due to the banning of Hofe due to fraud. Likewise, the Round Table took it upon itself to finish up some voting that was needed to be done, along with the establishment of the Spiritus Embassy once The Saturnian Republic. The Embassy was established, being the second embassy within The Global Syndicate at this point. Furthermore, the Executive Vacancy Act and Guardian Vacancy Act were both ratified, spelling out a procedure for what to do in the event of any government vacancy. A repeal of the Communist Party Guild also was successfully ratified.

While the region re-positions itself during this election period, several new nations are beginning to plant roots in the region. While growth is slow, it is steady.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 am

Meh, anything is permissible if you deny property rights.

Another victory for Capitalism!

65 dkp

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:22 am

Alyekra wrote:Meh, anything is permissible if you deny property rights.

Another victory for Capitalism!

Ironically, he could have gotten away with it had he repealed the 24th Axiom! (anything goes).

Robinson Jeffers
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Robinson Jeffers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Solenoc, yes? I spent some time in Stonehenge when it existed, back in the day, although I never participated much. I am curious, friend, why is it that all of your regions eventually end up looking the same. I can't speak for Iluminati, when it was not a part of ISIS, but ISIS had similar issues. I imagine that Illuminati would have as well. Have you ever considered changing it up?
-Jeffers

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 pm

huh?

Anathema Armaments
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Anathema Armaments » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Its actually quite a pity what happened. I was anticipating a grand ideological showdown between guilds. Mayhaps we will see that in the future.
The Spider or The Fly; who are you in this web?

Ragged Burnt Forest Sea
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragged Burnt Forest Sea » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Bah, there is more fun politically battling and maneuvering than there is in having an unreasonable advantage. I can't condone cheating, we are all on equal terms fighting for more for whatever reason. The entire forum would be pretty tiresome if it were the same 4-5 people playing as, say, 20 nations.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 am

Ragged Burnt Forest Sea wrote:Bah, there is more fun politically battling and maneuvering than there is in having an unreasonable advantage. I can't condone cheating, we are all on equal terms fighting for more for whatever reason. The entire forum would be pretty tiresome if it were the same 4-5 people playing as, say, 20 nations.

Shush, that's supposed to be a secret.

65 dkp

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 am

Makes me want to make a communist guild! :lol:

The Leningrad Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Leningrad Union » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:21 am

I sent my puppet over. I look forward to working with you guys.
I founded Madrigal and Confederacy of Allied States. However, I have given up my power in both. I reside in Iraq currently. Come join me!

Parody of typical NSG sig:

NSG's resident Liberal Gay Atheist because there's totally no other liberals, gays or atheists here!
Impeach GP, Legalize RP, NSG 2016!
Mallorea and Riva should resign
*Insert some uneducated statement about how I support a stupid ideology that I heard about in my middle school social studies class*
*Insert some typical liberal and/or edgy statement about Gaza and/or Ukraine*

some popular TETer wrote:Leningrad iz kewl

some dude that agreed with me on a debate wrote:Just listen to Leningrad!

Scissoro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 am

Alrighty, jump right in. To catch you up, elections close in about 8 hours, Another election starts, and the Grand Chancellor has an appointment to make.

While it is hard to predict what exactly will happen in the next, week, I can assume that foreign policy will be up on the agenda.

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Guilds = Equinox. -_-
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay