NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ethics in International Trade

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Ethics in International Trade

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 am

Ethics in International Trade

Frequently Asked Questions

What does this proposal do, exactly?

It establishes a ‘tariff’, an additional cost to any product manufactured or whatnot by an employee who doesn’t have some of the basic comforts that employees in member-nations take for granted, such as clean water, sanitation and rest. As a result of this ‘tariff’, businesses are discouraged from treating their employees poorly, and member-nations have a financial reason to enforce human rights in their nations.

Why should I support?

The World Assembly has set out to make the world a better place by securing labor rights, wage entitlements and civil liberties. However most member-nations do not trade exclusively with other member-nations, thus producing the contradicting circumstance of a member-nation with all of its rights and freedoms, capitalizing off trade with a nation that has no labor rights, no wage entitlements or civil liberties. If one individual nation sanctions or imposes trade barriers for rights-abusing nations, their economy will generally suffer, but if 1/5 of the world population does so, an extreme international disincentive is established for the abuse of civil rights. Some capitalists may also take comfort in the ‘balancing’ of the market, with WA economies made competitive against economies without human rights. This proposal will encourage trade and commerce between member-nations.

What was the inspiration for this proposal?

In all my days here at the World Assembly forum, I've never actually written a proposal that I'm passionate about, I mean, I wrote "Nautical Pilotage Act" in response to a friend of mine's father who recently went missing at sea.. but I've never written a proposal for a social cause before, so this is a little foreign to me. It feels good, actually.

Can a nation reimburse a trading partner for the money they lose with the tariff?

Yes. This was a decision I corrected recently, as I think the debt that will be accumulated from this reimbursement will deter nations from reimbursing often.

Will this proposal harm my economy?

There are suggestions from some loud minorities that this proposal will ‘wreak havoc and doom’ to the economy of member-nations, but mostly this assumption is based on a false correlation between the terrible effects of sweeping sanctions and targeted sanctions -- which, on the other paw, have been shown to be quite effective. Tariffs have been given a bad name in our current times by many freemarketists, but tariffs were never used in the way that this resolution uses them.

Do you like cheese?

Sure.

IC:

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
A resolution to develop industry around the world.

Category: Advancement of Industry | Area of Effect: Protective Tariffs | Proposed by: Unibot

The General Assembly,

Recognizing that an economic disincentive will discourage extreme risks (see c.1) to national populations,

1. Imposes an ethical and ad valorem tariff on any imported good that features one or several of the following criteria:

Said imported goods were manufactured, recovered or generated by those (excluding non-sentient employees, ex. Automata) who do not have,
1.a) The capacity to complete the workload of their occupation, while continuing to actively pursue an education and/or remain in a dignified state of mental and physical health;
1.b) An entitlement to,
  • Clean water, sanitation and/or nutrition;
  • Assured security --while at their workplace-- from violence, rape, abuse, poisoning and torture from people related to their workplace;
  • Sleep, recovery, leisure and rest;
  • Fair and just remuneration for the work they provide (unless their work is voluntary and entered into without being pressured, mislead or coerced), that will ensure them and their dependents a dignified existence, if no social protection exists for them otherwise;

2.a) Declares that the set percentage of an ad valorem tariff on each specific imported good’s market value (relevant to c.1), shall be decided by the International Trade Administration (ITA), with consideration from input by any nation or commercial entity;
2.b) Requires the ITA to also consider the following details of each product and their source when finalizing the set percentage:
  • The product’s fulfillment of the aforementioned criteria that were stipulated in c.1;
  • The source’s current economic strength and development and its reasonable capacity to provide laborers with the rights, entitlements and securities that were stipulated in c.1;
  • The competitiveness of the international market, concerning said product;
  • The market value and demand for said product;
  • Price elasticity of demand, and consumer necessities for said product;
  • Any existing past transgressions by the source, regarding attempted circumvention of tariffs;
2.c) Reaffirms that the ITA can rule a zero-percentage of a product's market value as being an acceptable tariff if their considerations (ex. necessity goods) suggest that a robust tariff would be unethical and/or unfair;

3.a) Affirms the freedom of all nations, as well as corporate or commercial entities to request an appeal for any decision made by the ITA;
3.b) Further Affirms the duty of the ITA to consider any legitimate request for an appeal, and in a timely fashion, reevaluate the contested decision;
3.c) Entrusts the ITA with the duty to store all collections from this ethical tariff in the 'WA Humanitarian Fund' for allocation (without running a deficit) to the various social justice and humanitarian programs of the World Assembly;

4. Obligates all member-nations -- within their own borders -- to make a coordinated effort to report to the World Assembly and prevent any distribution and/or sale of goods that have circumvented this ethical tariff, or otherwise were in the process of circumvention.

For those who like markup (you know who you are) ...

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
A resolution to develop industry around the world.

Category: Advancement of Industry | Area of Effect: Protective Tariffs | Proposed by: Unibot

Image (The World Assembly),

Recognizing that the World Assembly has set out to make the world a better place by securing labor rights, wage entitlements and civil liberties,

Understanding that most member-nations do not trade exclusively with other member-nations, thus producing the contradicting circumstance of a member-nation with all of its rights and freedoms, capitalizing off trade with a nation that has no labor rights, no wage entitlements or civil liberties,

Noting that if one individual nation sanctions or imposes trade barriers for rights-abusing nations, their economy will generally suffer, but if 1/5 of the world population does so, an extreme international disincentive is established for the abuse of labor rights,

Aware Recognizing that an economic disincentive could help to influence a part of humanity that the World Assembly otherwise has no power to protect from extreme hazards (def. dfn. ex. threats to life, health, property, or one's dignity),

Hereby,

1. Imposes an ethical and ad valorem tariff -- in all member-nations -- on all imported goods or resources any imported good or resource that have has been discovered by member-nations with or without the assistance of non government-funded organizations (NGOs) to feature one or several of the following criteria:

Said imported products or resources goods or resources where were manufactured, recovered or generated by those (excluding non-sentient employees, ex. Automata) who have no entitlement (or access) to, who do not have,
1.a) The capacity to complete the workload of their occupation, while continuing to actively pursue an education and/or remain in a dignified state of mental and physical health;
1.b)
  • No entitlement and/or access to An entitlement Clean water, sanitation and/or nutrition;
  • No Assured security --while at their workplace-- from violence, rape, abuse, disease, poison, poisoning,and tortureor mutilation color=#4040FF]that could be committed by a fellow employee or an employer[/color] while they are attending their workplace from people related to their workplace ;
  • No entitlement to Sleep, recovery, leisure and rest and/or a life that is not entirely devoted to the undignified and mechanical function of laboring;
  • No right to Found, promote and/or to join trade unions for the defense of their wellbeing;
  • No right to Equal treatment and/or income, regardless of gender, citizenship, birthplace, appearance, religion, and/or sexual orientation;
  • No entitlement to Fair and just remuneration for the work they provide, that will ensure them and their dependents a dignified existence, if no social protection exists for them otherwise;

2.a Excludes products and resources from this ethical tariff that can be confirmed by member-nations with or without the assistance of non government-funded organizations (NGOs) to have been produced before the passage of this legislation;
2.b Excludes products and resources from this ethical tariff that are used for the recreational consumption of mind-altering substances that do not directly rendered death;

21/2. Drugz are aLLOWed, no tariFFs on DRUgz, cool?

2. Establishes the World Assembly Ethical Labor Trade Commission (ETC) as a subsection of the International Trade Administration (ITA), to manage this ad valorem tariff that is to be collected by the World Assembly;

3. Demands that this ethical tariff be an ad valorem tariff that is collected by member-nations that is collected by the World Assembly, where there is a set percentage of the market value on an imported good that is being levied;

Endeavoring to prevent a competitive nature between member-nations regarding the amount of said tariff, that would undermine the spirit and intent of this legislation,

3.a) Declares that the set percentage of an ad valorem tariff on each specific imported good or resource’s market value (relevant to c.1), that is to be implemented in unison by all member-nations shall be decided by a special review board,the World Assembly Ethical LaborTrade Commission ETC, with consideration from input by member-nations, any nation or commercial entity;
3.b) Requires the World Assembly Ethical Trade Commission ETC to also consider the following details of each product and their source when finalizing the set percentage:
  • The product’s fulfillment of the aforementioned criteria that was were stipulated previously in c.1;
  • The source’s current economic strength and development and its reasonable capacity to provide labor’s laborer's laborers with the rights, entitlements and securities that were stipulated previously in c.1;
  • The competitiveness of the international market, concerning said product;
  • The market value and demand for said product;
  • Price elasticity of demand for said product;
  • Any existing past transgressions by the source, regarding attempted circumvention of tariffs;
3.c) Outlaws member-nations from partially, fully or superfluously reimbursing exporters for complying to this ethical tariff;
3.d) Reaffirms that the Ethical Commission can rule a zero-percentage of a product's market value as being an acceptable tariff if all concerns their considerations (ex. necessity goods) suggests that a robust tariff would be unethical and/or unfair;

4.a) Affirms the freedom of all nations, as well as corporate or commercial entities to request an appeal to the [Strike]World Assembly Ethical Trade Commission ETC, for any decision made by the World Assembly Ethical Trade Commission ETC , or a member-nation in regards to imposing an ethical tariff;
4.b) Further Affirms the duty of the World Assembly Ethical Trade Commission ETC to consider any legitimate request for an appeal, and in a timely fashion, reevaluate the contested decision to either impose a tariff on a certain imported good or resource and/or the set percentage of the market value being levied on said product;
4.c) Entrusts the World Assembly with the duty to store all collections from this ethical tariff in the 'WA Humanitarian Fund' for allocation (without running a deficit) to the various social justice and humanitarian programs of the World Assembly;

Understanding that circumvention of a tariff may come through either blatantly illegal methods, such as smuggling, or exporters may resort to corporate dishonesty (ex. "nation hopping" or "tariff jumping") such as labeling, reassembling and/or exporting a product from a workplace that does not quality qualify for a levy -- having manufactured it elsewhere in disreputable working conditions,

5. Obligates all member-nations -- within their own borders -- to make a coordinated effort to report to the World Assembly and prevent and the any distribution and and/or sale of goods that have circumvented this ethical tariff, or otherwise were in the process of circumvention.

Additions in blue .
Edits are represented with strikethroughs and red font.
Last edited by Flibbleites on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:35 am, edited 50 times in total.

Magthere
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Magthere » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:13 pm

The Armed Republic of Magthere is in full support of this.
Atomosea wrote:I swear, the only people more patriotic than Texans are Bostonians during a good season...

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Magthere wrote:The Armed Republic of Magthere is in full support of this.

Eduard waved, and scratched a name off a hidden list in his red little book.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:12 pm

As with every proposal which tampers with trade in any way, I will not support this.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Unfortunately, the World Assembly, while suffering through an ongoing bout of temporary insanity, wrote this gem into National Economic Freedoms:

REQUIRES that no commerce be generally restricted by the WA unless:

1. Restricted by prior legislation, or
2. The enterprise causes an extreme hazard to national populations

I'm having a hard time reconciling this proposal -- one which I agree with and do not see any immediately apparent flaws (though, just you wait for the Antarctic Oasis crowd to find this) -- and the ill-conceived proscription on the regulation of commerce. I don't think this can be submitted without first rightly repealing National Economic Freedoms.

You could try arguing that 'national populations' covers all nations, and not simply World Assembly members. That way, there would be no violation, since the requisites for this 'ethical tariff' certainly are hazardous to populations. I'm assuming, of course, that this legislation is targeted towards economic dealings with non-member nations. Anyways, this will undoubtedly require a ruling by the Secretariat, especially if the Krioval delegation steps in, so I would get your arguments ready now.

- Dr. B. Castro
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Unfortunately, the World Assembly, while suffering through an ongoing bout of temporary insanity, wrote this gem into National Economic Freedoms:

REQUIRES that no commerce be generally restricted by the WA unless:

1. Restricted by prior legislation, or
2. The enterprise causes an extreme hazard to national populations

I'm having a hard time reconciling this proposal -- one which I agree with and do not see any immediately apparent flaws (though, just you wait for the Antarctic Oasis crowd to find this) -- and the ill-conceived proscription on the regulation of commerce. I don't think this can be submitted without first rightly repealing National Economic Freedoms.

You could try arguing that 'national populations' covers all nations, and not simply World Assembly members. That way, there would be no violation, since the requisites for this 'ethical tariff' certainly are hazardous to populations. I'm assuming, of course, that this legislation is targeted towards economic dealings with non-member nations. Anyways, this will undoubtedly require a ruling by the Secretariat, especially if the Krioval delegation steps in, so I would get your arguments ready now.

- Dr. B. Castro

OOC: That's .. er.. that's illegal? Isn't it? It blocks an entire category!? Tariffs are "general restrictions on commerce".

IC: We will ask for a ruling from the secretariat, I do believe that 'extreme hazard' does cover the criteria of what this ethical tariff would apply to, and 'national populations' does not specify populations in only member-states. Thank you, Dr. Castro. We do realize that the Krioval delegation submitted that resolution to block us from submitting a proposal with a different aim in mind, but blocking all tariffs regardless of intention is utterly wrong and an abuse of the World Assembly's influence.
Last edited by Unibot on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Hathradic States wrote:As with every proposal which tampers with trade in any way, I will not support this.

"At least he's consistent." Eduard said as he stuck out his tongue.

Ille-Povrois
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ille-Povrois » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Dear Minister of Unibot

We are happy to see your concern regarding the situation of employees in the less wealthy countries of our world, but we do believe that this proposal will not be effective in dimishing the bad situation people have to cope with in those countries.

Simply stablishing a tariff sounds empty for us. What is the point? If we stablish a tariff in the products from the countries with no security laws for the empolyees we will certainly NOT stop them from producing and selling their stuff. If a nation decide to continue their trade relations with another nation, despite the treatment they give to their workers, that nation will be free to do so.

We believe that in this matter, if the WA nations are really concerned about the situation of workers in countries outside WA, we should create an International Standard, given exclusively to nations whose employees are treated in human conditions of welfare and development. And we believe that all the nations should be free to decide if they would like to buy products from countries without the International Standard.

Best regards

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Unibot wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:As with every proposal which tampers with trade in any way, I will not support this.

"At least he's consistent." Eduard said as he stuck out his tongue.

"Absolutely," Samuel J. Malcolm says, "We vote 'No' on everything."

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Ille-Povrois wrote:Simply stablishing a tariff sounds empty for us. What is the point? If we stablish a tariff in the products from the countries with no security laws for the empolyees we will certainly NOT stop them from producing and selling their stuff. If a nation decide to continue their trade relations with another nation, despite the treatment they give to their workers, that nation will be free to do so.

They will not remain competitive in the international market without treating their employees fairly, thanks to this ethical tariff. Because of the nature of compliance, they will always be 'free' to do so, this resolution just aims to limit the value of that 'freedom'.

Ille-Povrois
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ille-Povrois » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:07 pm

We believe that a International Stardard Certification would be more effective in this aim.
And the nation should decided by itself if it is important to trade only with nations which posses this certification.

Magthere
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Magthere » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Unibot wrote:

Um, The Ambassador of the Armed Republic of Magthere, asks did he or his nation do something to get into that little red book or is that just a list of all nations you have yet to get to endorse a bill your working on?
Atomosea wrote:I swear, the only people more patriotic than Texans are Bostonians during a good season...

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Unibot wrote:OOC: That's .. er.. that's illegal? Isn't it? It blocks an entire category!? Tariffs are "general restrictions on commerce".

OOC: The thing is that it didn't completely ban regulation. Just 'general' regulation. So, the World Assembly could pass a tariff for, say, non-military purchase of machine guns, but it couldn't, in my reading, pass a tariff for all arms. I want to say there was a discussion/ruling on the legality of the clause, but I'm not sure. You could check the debate thread, if you're interested in that. Doesn't have much bearing on the legality of this proposal, though, and the mods can't remove NEF even if the clause wasn't legal.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Unibot wrote:OOC: That's .. er.. that's illegal? Isn't it? It blocks an entire category!? Tariffs are "general restrictions on commerce".

OOC: The thing is that it didn't completely ban regulation. Just 'general' regulation. So, the World Assembly could pass a tariff for, say, non-military purchase of machine guns, but it couldn't, in my reading, pass a tariff for all arms. I want to say there was a discussion/ruling on the legality of the clause, but I'm not sure. You could check the debate thread, if you're interested in that. Doesn't have much bearing on the legality of this proposal, though, and the mods can't remove NEF even if the clause wasn't legal.

But this isn't a general 'you have to tariff toliet-paper' resolution, its talking about specific imports that follow a specific criteria?

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Unibot wrote:But this isn't a general 'you have to tariff toliet-paper' resolution, its talking about specific imports that follow a specific criteria?

It's across-the-board, in my opinion. You aren't targeting any specific type of product, but rather all products produced under a plethora of conditions. There hasn't ever been a ruling on how broad NEF's clause is, but I wouldn't be surprised if a mod finds this proposal well within the 'general' category. Though, I personally think it's legal because of the interpretation I provided in my first post.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Ille-Povrois wrote:We believe that a International Stardard Certification would be more effective in this aim.
And the nation should decided by itself if it is important to trade only with nations which posses this certification.

"... Nations already do openly trade with nations that wouldn't get such a certification even if they were banging the Secretary-General in her office. " Eduard said as he looked around, boyishly grinning, "What are you looking at?"

"Heh. Anyway, your suggestion is a violation of the World Assembly's rules, because it is completely optional."

Magthere wrote:
Unibot wrote:

Um, The Ambassador of the Armed Republic of Magthere, asks did he or his nation do something to get into that little red book or is that just a list of all nations you have yet to get to endorse a bill your working on?

"Eh, yeah.. something like that." Eduard said, coughing with dishonesty.

Last edited by Unibot on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ille-Povrois
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ille-Povrois » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Dear Ambassador of Unibot

Our proposal it is not illegal because it is not totally optional. We have proposed the certification, and that would be granted to all nations in the WA who support their workers with human conditions. What is optional is the decision to trade with countries without that certification.

Best regards

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Ille-Povrois wrote:Dear Ambassador of Unibot

Our proposal it is not illegal because it is not totally optional. We have proposed the certification, and that would be granted to all nations in the WA who support their workers with human conditions. What is optional is the decision to trade with countries without that certification.

Best regards

"That makes the proposal optional. " Eduard said while eying a nubile ambassador across from him and making inappropriate sexual gestures.

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:36 pm

I support this proposal as even though my nation generally opposes tariffs we do not trade with any nation or corporation who does not respect certain civil rights.
Economic Left/Right: 6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28

Ille-Povrois
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ille-Povrois » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 pm

American Capitalists

That's why we think that a certification would be more effective. We do not believe in this tariff. And how this tariff would be managed? There is no details about that in this proposal.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Ille-Povrois wrote:And how this tariff would be managed? There is no details about that in this proposal.

Did you read the proposal? Specifically c.4 & c.5?

Ille-Povrois
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ille-Povrois » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Yes, we read and we still think it is vague.

And we do not believe at all in this tariff. Have you ever considered about the possibility of this tariff to increase tremendously smuggling?
We here at the Ille-Povrois are happy to say that we are free of this hedious practice, but we strongly believe that we will start to see it knocking in our doors if this proposal would be accepted.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Ille-Povrois wrote:And we do not believe at all in this tariff. Have you ever considered about the possibility of this tariff to increase tremendously smuggling?

"We already had an anti-smuggling regulation fail at vote, if you think we need more protection from smuggling.. go submit a resolution on it. If you think our clauses are vague, you could start by elaborating on how they are vague. Your constructive input could really benefit this draft. My delegation has no interest in certification and optional legitimacy, that plan would accomplish nothing. " Eduard said.

Eduard paused, "Hey you know what? Smuggling was a good idea to bring up! Thanks!"
Last edited by Unibot on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ille-Povrois
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ille-Povrois » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Dear Minister of Unibot

Our nation would be very pleased to propose a regulation about smuggling, but I am affraid it is not possible since we are a new nation in the WA and have not enough endorsements to do that.
So we still believe in the possibility of smuggling increase with this tariff, despite all the laws that could be created against it. Laws were made to be ignored by people who live away from human rights interests.
Having said that, we firm our position against this tariff.

Best regards

Magthere
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Magthere » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Unibot wrote:
Ille-Povrois wrote:We believe that a International Stardard Certification would be more effective in this aim.

"... Nations already do openly trade with nations that wouldn't get such a certification even if they were banging the Secretary-General in her office. " Eduard said as he looked around, boyishly grinning, "What are you looking at?"

"Heh. Anyway, your suggestion is a violation of the World Assembly's rules, because it is completely optional."

Magthere wrote:
Unibot wrote:

"Eh, yeah.. something like that." Eduard said, coughing with dishonesty.

Does the ambassador wish to have a cough drop? And the ambassador of Magthere asks if there is indeed some way he originally angered the nation of Unibot?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives