NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Researching Unique Ecosystems

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Researching Unique Ecosystems

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:30 am

Category: Educational and Creativity | Area of Effect: Educational

Encouraged by the ongoing efforts of the international community to invest in biological research,

Impressed by some of the potential technologies and cures that have developed from this research, but

Concerned by the rate at which unique ecosystems are disappearing, either to man-made activity or to natural changes in climate,

This august World Assembly hereby enacts the following, subject to any limits imposed by earlier resolutions that are still in force:

1. Defines for the purposes of this resolution:

1. 'unique ecosystem' as any area which is reasonably likely to contain flora and fauna that are unique to the larger ecosystem,

2. 'man made activity' as action or continued inaction taken by sentient beings that endangers the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem, up to and including mining, logging, construction or introduction of invasive species, but not counting acts of war,

3. 'natural changes in climate' as any foreseeable, long term natural event or change that endangers the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem, such as long term drought, rise in sea levels or global cooling;
  2. Requires nations where man-made activity may be reasonably expected to seriously compromise a unique ecosystem to make reasonable expeditions, within their abilities, into the unique ecosystem to take stock of and collect samples of unique flora and fauna within the region;
  3. Requires nations with ongoing natural changes in climate that seriously threaten unique ecosystems to make reasonable expeditions, within their abilities, into the unique ecosystem to take stock of and collect samples of unique flora and fauna within the region.
  4. Expands the duties of the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) to include:

1. Monitoring global climate changes to identify unique ecosystems under threat, and to notify nations of said threat to their unique ecosystems,

2. Storing and providing access to raw data from nations who have shared with the WASP,

3. Raising and providing funds and scientific support for nations who do not have the capacity to conduct a reasonable scientific expedition;
  5. Encourages nations to share raw data from above expeditions with the World Assembly Science Program (WASP)

Area of effect: Educational and Creativity
Educational

Whilst we are encouraged by the ongoing efforts of the international community to invest in biological research, and impressed by some of the potential technologies and cures that have developed from this research, we are concerned by the rate at which unique ecosystems are disappearing, either to man-made activity or to natural changes in climate.

For the purposes of this legislation:
Defines unique ecosystem as any area which is reasonably likely to contain flora and fauna that are unique to the larger ecosystem

Defines man made activity as action, or continued inaction taken by sentient beings likely to compromise the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem, up to and including mining, logging, construction or introduction of invasive species, not counting acts of war

Defines natural changes in climate as any foreseeable, long term natural event or change that endangers the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem, such as long term drought, rise in sea levels or global cooling

Hereby proposes the following, Subject to any limits imposed by earlier resolutions that are still in force:
1) Requires nations where man-made activity may be reasonably expected to compromise a unique ecosystem to make reasonable expeditions, within their abilities, into the unique ecosystem to take stock of and collect samples of unique flora and fauna within the region.

2) Requires nations with ongoing natural changes in climate that threaten unique ecosystems to make reasonable expeditions, within their abilities, into the unique ecosystem to take stock of and collect samples of unique flora and fauna within the region.

3) The creation of the World Assembly Biodiversity Research Committee, tasked with:

(i) Monitoring global climate changes to identify unique ecosystems under threat, and to notify nations of said threat to their unique ecosystems.
(ii) Storing and providing access to raw data from nations who have shared with the WABRC
(iii) Raising and providing funds and scientific support for nations who do not have the capacity to conduct a reasonable scientific expedition.

4) Nations are encouraged to share raw data from above expeditions with the World Assembly Biodiversity Research Committee (WABRC)

So yeah. I've had a look through - no duplication. I've been back a while in proposals and can't see anything similar. Constructive criticisms?

EDIT: Capitalisation and replacing phrasing in section to reflect that this resolution covers a serious compromise of biodiversity - not, for example, felling a single tree.

EDIT: Made use of the formatting kindly supplied by Imperium. (Thanks!)

EDIT: Clarified to remove acts of war as man-made activity (This legislation shouldn't cover warfare), highlighted defined terms and re-ordered points 3 and 4.

EDIT: Clarified some points on recommendations of nations to include "within their abilities"

EDIT: Clarified responsibilities of committee

EDIT: Clarified first reccomendation (nations where man-made activity may be reasonably expected to compromise a unique ecosystem)

EDIT: Boilerplate added "Subject to any limits imposed by earlier resolutions that are still in force"

EDIT: Changed recommended to urges

EDIT: Changed plants and animals in one instance to flora and fauna, changed urges to requires

EDIT: Changed Preserving scientific knowledge of unique ecosystems to Researching unique ecosystems.

EDIT: Removed WABRC in favor of expanding duties of existing WA committee - WASP
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 20 times in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:15 am

Two little nitpicks: Firstly, underlining or italicizing the terms you are defining would make the document read easier and look more polished. Secondly, you may want to switch the order of clauses 3 and 4, as when I read the document, seeing clause 3 first made me assume the committee already existed. This may confuse some people.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:56 am

Don't see any major problems with resolution as of yet. Support.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:11 am

We accept your point regarding swapping clauses 3 and 4, and will make amendments in time. The only problem we could see is if warfare was counted as a man-made problem. Perhaps a clause specifically barring warfare from this would be useful.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 am

Caracasus wrote:We accept your point regarding swapping clauses 3 and 4, and will make amendments in time. The only problem we could see is if warfare was counted as a man-made problem. Perhaps a clause specifically barring warfare from this would be useful.

We think warfare should be considered a man made problem. It seems to fit your definition of "action, or continued inaction taken by sentient beings likely to compromise the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem" Warring sides have been known to kill off forests to try and expose the enemy.
Last edited by Whovian Tardisia on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:50 am

Maybeso you should open the operative section with the fairly standard boilerplate about "Subject to any limits imposed by earlier resolutions that are still in force", so that people can't argue that anything in the the earlier resolutions about endangered species, sustainable forestry, fishing, hunting, and so on, would make it illegal?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Caracasus wrote:We accept your point regarding swapping clauses 3 and 4, and will make amendments in time. The only problem we could see is if warfare was counted as a man-made problem. Perhaps a clause specifically barring warfare from this would be useful.

We think warfare should be considered a man made problem. It seems to fit your definition of "action, or continued inaction taken by sentient beings likely to compromise the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem" Warring sides have been known to kill off forests to try and expose the enemy.

We agree, however we know that this resolution will crash and burn if it could conceivably curtail people's rights to blow each other into smithereens in the slightest.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Maybeso you should open the operative section with the fairly standard boilerplate about "Subject to any limits imposed by earlier resolutions that are still in force", so that people can't argue that anything in the the earlier resolutions about endangered species, sustainable forestry, fishing, hunting, and so on, would make it illegal?

An interesting idea ambassador, we will wait and see if anyone thinks this is illegal and comb through legislation on proposals to find an answer.

Sobaira
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sobaira » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Caracasus wrote:
Area of effect: Educational and Creativity
Educational

Whilst we are encouraged by the ongoing efforts of the international community to invest in biological research, and impressed by some of the potential technologies and cures that have developed from this research, we are concerned by the rate at which unique ecosystems are disappearing, either to man-made activity or to natural changes in climate.

For the purposes of this legislation:
Defines unique ecosystem as any area which is reasonably likely to contain plants or animals that are unique to the larger ecosystem

Defines man made activity as action, or continued inaction taken by sentient beings likely to compromise the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem, up to and including mining, logging, construction or introduction of invasive species

Defines natural changes in climate as any foreseeable, long term natural event or change that endangers the biodiversity of a unique ecosystem, such as long term drought, rise in sea levels or global cooling

Hereby proposes the following:
1) It is recommended that nations planning to undertake actions within a unique ecosystem make reasonable expeditions into the unique ecosystem to take stock of and collect samples of unique flora and fauna within the region.

2) It is recommended that nations with ongoing natural changes in climate that threaten unique ecosystems make reasonable expeditions into the unique ecosystem to take stock of and collect samples of unique flora and fauna within the region.

3) Nations are encouraged to share raw data from above expeditions with the World Assembly Biodiversity Research Committee (WABRC)

4) The creation of the World Assembly Biodiversity Research Committee, tasked with:

(i) Monitoring global climate changes to identify unique ecosystems under threat
(ii) Storing and providing access to raw data from nations who have shared with the WABRC
(iii) Raising and providing funds and scientific support for nations who do not have the capacity to conduct a reasonable scientific expedition as outlined above.

So yeah. I've had a look through - no duplication. I've been back a while in proposals and can't see anything similar. Constructive criticisms?

The ambassador from Sobaira spoke up, "Honourable legislator, while I am of uncertainty if my concern is valid, I will express it anyway. The active text of your proposal merely suggests that nations do things, and then is of making a committee to do things but no nation is required to do anything with said. So... other than creating a committee that can be of entirely ignoring, it does not be feeling that this does anything, unfortunately, which may be of problem." She pursed her lips, "I apologise if I am of misunderstanding your proposal, or worrying over nothing. Perhaps including something on if they are confronted with a sample that they must take reasonable action to preserve a sample of it, within their means and abilities? I do not know. However, thank you for your time, honourable legislator. I wish you luck with your drafts."
Pro: Liberation, Solidarity, Self Defence, Veganism, Environmentalism, Scientific Exploration, GRSM, Proletarian Feminism, Communism
Anti: Colonialism, Imperialism, Racism, Sexism, Transphobia, Homophobia, Cissexism, Binarism, Audism, Ableism, Heteronormativity, Carnism, Religious Bigotry, Islamophobia, Hate Speech, Slavery, Feudalism, Liberalism, Neo-Liberalism, Fascism, Capitalism

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:11 pm

We recognise your concerns ambassador, and thank you for voicing them. We used "encourage" to ensure that nations who did not wish to share base data did not have to do so. We feel that the committee's main purpose would be cataloging data from nations that did wish to share data, and monitor natural global climate change to better inform nations of potential dangers to unique ecosystems. The committee would also provide funding and expertise to nations lacking the capability to conduct scientific expeditions.

Perhaps we should re-word parts of the proposal.

We believe however, that nations with ongoing natural changes in climate that threaten unique ecosystems make reasonable expeditions into the unique ecosystem to take stock of and collect samples of unique flora and fauna within the region. should alleviate your concerns regarding your last point.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Thank you ambassadors. Some changes have been made.

Sobaira
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sobaira » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:09 pm

Caracasus wrote:Thank you ambassadors. Some changes have been made.

OOC: May just be my end, but it looks like 4. is outside of the box coding bit.
Pro: Liberation, Solidarity, Self Defence, Veganism, Environmentalism, Scientific Exploration, GRSM, Proletarian Feminism, Communism
Anti: Colonialism, Imperialism, Racism, Sexism, Transphobia, Homophobia, Cissexism, Binarism, Audism, Ableism, Heteronormativity, Carnism, Religious Bigotry, Islamophobia, Hate Speech, Slavery, Feudalism, Liberalism, Neo-Liberalism, Fascism, Capitalism

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:16 pm

Sobaira wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Thank you ambassadors. Some changes have been made.

OOC: May just be my end, but it looks like 4. is outside of the box coding bit.

OOC: Nope - that was me alright! Thanks for the heads up.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 am

Bears Armed wrote:Maybeso you should open the operative section with the fairly standard boilerplate about "Subject to any limits imposed by earlier resolutions that are still in force", so that people can't argue that anything in the the earlier resolutions about endangered species, sustainable forestry, fishing, hunting, and so on, would make it illegal?

On balance - got to be done - added. We thank you for your help.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 am

Will definitely support this. Our environment is failing and our beloved llamas are endangered. Will benefit us and the rest of the world greatly.

Invasive Species
Political Columnist

Founded: May 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Invasive Species » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:24 am

You, Sir, seek to destroy our livelihoods! I must object!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 am

Invasive Species wrote:You, Sir, seek to destroy our livelihoods! I must object!

No we don't. This proposal does not seek to stop destruction of unique ecosystems. It seeks to preserve scientific knowledge that would otherwise be lost to man-made or natural incidents.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 am

Whovian Tardisia wrote:Will definitely support this. Our environment is failing and our beloved llamas are endangered. Will benefit us and the rest of the world greatly.

Whilst we note your support with enthusiasm, please bear in mind this is not an environmental proposal. It seeks to broaden scientific knowledge by cataloging and researching unique ecosystems before they are lost.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 am

Caracasus wrote:
Whovian Tardisia wrote:Will definitely support this. Our environment is failing and our beloved llamas are endangered. Will benefit us and the rest of the world greatly.

Whilst we note your support with enthusiasm, please bear in mind this is not an environmental proposal. It seeks to broaden scientific knowledge by cataloging and researching unique ecosystems before they are lost.

Of course, of course. It does mean, however, that if our beloved llamas wind up extinct, we will have hopefully gathered enough data on them that we may be able to use cloning technology to bring them back.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:57 am

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

Of course, of course. It does mean, however, that if our beloved llamas wind up extinct, we will have hopefully gathered enough data on them that we may be able to use cloning technology to bring them back.

"Nothing would stop you from doing that in the first place."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:04 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Whovian Tardisia wrote:Of course, of course. It does mean, however, that if our beloved llamas wind up extinct, we will have hopefully gathered enough data on them that we may be able to use cloning technology to bring them back.

"Nothing would stop you from doing that in the first place."

True enough, Ambassador Bell.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:36 am

We are considering changing
it is recommended
to something slightly stronger - perhaps
urges nations to
. Thoughts?

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:41 am

Caracasus wrote:We are considering changing
it is recommended
to something slightly stronger - perhaps
urges nations to
. Thoughts?

A wise decision. Will make it much less likely to be canned for optionality.

Flamels Stone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Flamels Stone » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:44 am

This looks optional to me.
Ambassador and Prince Kenneth Flamel.
Representing Flamel's Stone in the WA.
[OOC: My nation is not religious, the symbol on the flag is Flamel's Cross representes the presence of alchemy on my contry's history.]
_[' ]_
(-_Q) I'm not a capilatist, I'm just really posh. Tally ho!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:46 am

Flamels Stone wrote:This looks optional to me.

We thought that urges would be strong enough. What would you recommend? Requires?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives