NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Repeal "Rights and Duties of WA States"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DISCARDED] Repeal "Rights and Duties of WA States"

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Repeal "Rights and Duties of WA States"
Category: Repeal | Resolution: GAR #2

Strongly affirming the need for a World Assembly charter that clearly delineates the basic rights and responsibilities of World Assembly member states,

Regretting that the numerous flaws present in GAR #2, "Rights and Duties of WA States", necessitate its repeal,

Condemning the target resolution's morally repugnant conception of war, which is that war is permissible so long as it is consensual,

Shocked that this conception of war effectively legalizes armed conflict between two or more mutual aggressors, in which each party wishes to take control over the others’ territory, population or resources, because such a war is technically consensual,

Appalled that this conception of war also forbids most just wars, including peacemaking operations and humanitarian interventions, because not all parties consent to the conflict,

Distressed that the target resolution forbids nations from any unrequested intervention in the sovereign affairs of other nations, regardless of whether such intervention is justified, as in the case of peacemaking operations and humanitarian intervention,

Alarmed that the target resolution's requirement that resolutions be implemented in "good faith" is sufficiently vague as to permit the effective circumvention of resolutions through sincere yet invalid interpretations of resolutions, while prohibiting the World Assembly from passing a separate resolution governing the legitimate interpretation of resolutions,

Concerned that the target resolution prevents the World Assembly from taking or supporting any military action whatsoever, precluding the World Assembly from addressing violations of human rights or threats to international peace and security,

Strongly hoping that a replacement charter will soon be passed,

The General Assembly,

Repeals GAR #2, "Rights and Duties of WA States".
Last edited by Ballotonia on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 am, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: Added discarded tag in title
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Yet another idealistic crusade of which I do not approve. The previous statements are very opinionated, and I consider them to be false. Furthermore, I do not approve of the replacement document, as I find that it is somewhat lacking in the motives and idealism (within its text, of course) compared to the original document. Because of these reasons, I cannot support this resolution nor its replacing counterpart.
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:46 pm

The Remean Lordship wrote:Yet another idealistic crusade of which I do not approve. The previous statements are very opinionated, and I consider them to be false. Furthermore, I do not approve of the replacement document, as I find that it is somewhat lacking in the motives and idealism (within its text, of course) compared to the original document. Because of these reasons, I cannot support this resolution nor its replacing counterpart.

Could you be a bit more specific?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Sigh...you're not going to make WA armies legal, no matter how many founding pillars of this institution you manage to tear down. If anything the most you'll get is another Quelesh-style throwdown, with competing factions constantly putting up opposing resolutions and repeals and replacements and resubmissions, until one side finally gives up. Reason won out last time, but this time there's no guarantee...and all over something that's never going to happen, no matter how many resolutions you pass.

Besides, your replacement sucks.
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:If anything the most you'll get is another Quelesh-style throwdown

Ah yes. The Habeas Corpus shitstorm. Now that brings me back.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Sigh...you're not going to make WA armies legal, no matter how many founding pillars of this institution you manage to tear down. If anything the most you'll get is another Quelesh-style throwdown, with competing factions constantly putting up opposing resolutions and repeals and replacements and resubmissions, until one side finally gives up. Reason won out last time, but this time there's no guarantee...and all over something that's never going to happen, no matter how many resolutions you pass.

GAR #2's prescription against WA military action is 4th out of 4 in my list of repeal arguments, so I'm not sure why you think this is all about WA armies.

I think it's completely possible to repeal and replace GAR #2, if enough delegates can be convinced.

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Besides, your replacement sucks.

I disagree. Would you mind substantiating your claim on the appropriate thread?

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Auralia wrote:
The Remean Lordship wrote:Yet another idealistic crusade of which I do not approve. The previous statements are very opinionated, and I consider them to be false. Furthermore, I do not approve of the replacement document, as I find that it is somewhat lacking in the motives and idealism (within its text, of course) compared to the original document. Because of these reasons, I cannot support this resolution nor its replacing counterpart.

Could you be a bit more specific?

Section II of GAR #2 is much more specific on ideas of war; it takes into account what war is in comparison to the replacement resolution, which only brushes over topic in a way that is almost a summary of Section II.

Clause III of your repeal (Condemning...) does not take into account the fact that td under Section I, Article 3 forces nations to recognize international law (allowing the WA to intervene in unjust affairs), and the document does have clauses that show feelings against international action such as unjust wars (I,3; II,6 and II,7).

Clause IV of the repeal (Distressed...) fails to take into account I,3 also, as I,3 permits WA nations to take intervention within international law and within requests. If a nation is committing "crimes" than the international laws of the WA govern the fact of what is an international "crime." In this sense, the WA determines action for this clause.

Lastly, Clause VI (Concerned...) is the opinionated part. It basically says that the WA should have a standing army, yet that army could act in cases such as tyranny by majority. Furthermore, the clause states that the WA should have a force to mandate its resolutions in other nations, while the WA does that.

Plainly, I just don't see what the problem is with GAR #2.
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Auralia wrote:Condemning the target resolution's flawed conception of war – that war is perfectly acceptable so long as it is consensual – which completely fails to take into account that war is generally not a legitimate tool of international relations and that the World Assembly should not tacitly legitimize unjust wars, while at the same time just wars should be permitted regardless of whether or not both sides consent to war,

Except that's not what it says.

Auralia wrote:Distressed that the target resolution forbids nations from any unrequested intervention in the sovereign affairs of other nations, regardless of whether such intervention is justified, such as to prevent crimes against humanity,

Except that we have a resolution prohibiting such crimes, along with several other variations on that. So such things aren't happening in member states.

Auralia wrote:Alarmed that the target resolution's requirement that resolutions be implemented in "good faith" is sufficiently vague as to permit the effective circumvention of resolutions through sincere yet incorrect interpretations of resolutions, while prohibiting the World Assembly from passing a separate resolution governing the proper interpretation of resolutions,

Didn't you learn anything from your last tilt at that windmill? Seriously?

Auralia wrote:Concerned that the target resolution forbids the WA from taking any military action whatsoever, precluding the WA from engaging in peacekeeping operations, peacemaking operations or resolution enforcement,

Resolution enforcement? Did the Bar start serving half priced drinks?
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:Condemning the target resolution's flawed conception of war – that war is perfectly acceptable so long as it is consensual – which completely fails to take into account that war is generally not a legitimate tool of international relations and that the World Assembly should not tacitly legitimize unjust wars, while at the same time just wars should be permitted regardless of whether or not both sides consent to war,

Except that's not what it says.

Yes, it does: "War in the World of NationStates is defined as a consensual act between two or more NationStates."

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:Distressed that the target resolution forbids nations from any unrequested intervention in the sovereign affairs of other nations, regardless of whether such intervention is justified, such as to prevent crimes against humanity,

Except that we have a resolution prohibiting such crimes, along with several other variations on that. So such things aren't happening in member states.

Not everyone accepts the notion of mandatory compliance. In addition, not every potential reason for legitimate intervention in the affairs of other member states is authorized by WA resolution, and to assume that could ever be the case is rather naive.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:Alarmed that the target resolution's requirement that resolutions be implemented in "good faith" is sufficiently vague as to permit the effective circumvention of resolutions through sincere yet incorrect interpretations of resolutions, while prohibiting the World Assembly from passing a separate resolution governing the proper interpretation of resolutions,

Didn't you learn anything from your last tilt at that windmill? Seriously?

It clearly wasn't tilting at windmills, given your support of "creative compliance". In any event, I learned that GAR #2 prohibited me from passing a resolution governing the interpretation of resolutions, hence this repeal.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:Concerned that the target resolution forbids the WA from taking any military action whatsoever, precluding the WA from engaging in peacekeeping operations, peacemaking operations or resolution enforcement,

Resolution enforcement? Did the Bar start serving half priced drinks?

Again, not everyone accepts the notion of mandatory compliance. You can consider this a test to see how the mods will respond to an argument that assumes potential non-compliance. ;)

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:15 pm

The Remean Lordship wrote:Section II of GAR #2 is much more specific on ideas of war; it takes into account what war is in comparison to the replacement resolution, which only brushes over topic in a way that is almost a summary of Section II.

This criticism should really be made in the replacement thread, but I'll address it here anyways. You are right that GAR #2 is somewhat more specific about war, particularly its reference to the right of self-defence against armed attack. (I've now added that to my replacement.) However, it is also less concise and repetitive. For instance, Article 6 essentially duplicates Article 3. More importantly, its conception of war and intervention in other member states is flawed for the reasons outlined in the repeal, and these issues are fixed in my replacement. As such, my replacement can hardly be considered a "summary of Section II".

The Remean Lordship wrote:Clause III of your repeal (Condemning...) does not take into account the fact that td under Section I, Article 3 forces nations to recognize international law (allowing the WA to intervene in unjust affairs), and the document does have clauses that show feelings against international action such as unjust wars (I,3; II,6 and II,7).

Article 3, in conjunction with Article 5, only requires that wars be consensual, not that they be just. (I am assuming that Article 3 allows "unrequested intervention" in the context of military activities during a consensual war; otherwise Article 3 would conflict with Article 5.) A war between two nations in which neither have good reasons for going to war is entirely possible, and GAR #2 suggests that this is perfectly legitimate. Article 6 essentially duplicates Article 3, and so it has the same issues. Article 7 is simply about the enforcement of Articles 5 and 6, and therefore also suffers the same flaws.

The Remean Lordship wrote:Clause IV of the repeal (Distressed...) fails to take into account I,3 also, as I,3 permits WA nations to take intervention within international law and within requests. If a nation is committing "crimes" than the international laws of the WA govern the fact of what is an international "crime." In this sense, the WA determines action for this clause.

A nation that is committing crimes against humanity is unlikely to request the intervention of other nations to stop the bloodshed. Nations should be able to intervene unilaterally in other nations if their cause is just; they should not have to wait for authorization in the form of a WA resolution.

The Remean Lordship wrote:Lastly, Clause VI (Concerned...) is the opinionated part. It basically says that the WA should have a standing army, yet that army could act in cases such as tyranny by majority. Furthermore, the clause states that the WA should have a force to mandate its resolutions in other nations, while the WA does that.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "that army could act in cases such as tyranny by majority". The WA may not take any action that directly affects non-members, and any nation that believes the WA is not acting in their best interests is free to resign.

Further, not everyone accepts mandatory compliance.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 pm

I haven't gotten to do more then skim (extremely tired right now), but I just wanted to say this. Mandatory compliance is one of the actual rules, and while people can RP noncompliance in their own RPs I would expect it should be a safe assumption within the WA it's self. To assume in a resolution that nations are being noncompliant seems to defeat the point.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Except that's not what it says.

Yes, it does: "War in the World of NationStates is defined as a consensual act between two or more NationStates."

You do not need to find war acceptable to recognize that one must allow it to occur under certain circumstances. Because while war may not always be a legitimate tool of politics, it certainly can be. To claim otherwise is absurdity.

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Except that we have a resolution prohibiting such crimes, along with several other variations on that. So such things aren't happening in member states.

Not everyone accepts the notion of mandatory compliance. In addition, not every potential reason for legitimate intervention in the affairs of other member states is authorized by WA resolution, and to assume that could ever be the case is rather naive.

Ladies and gentlemen here you have it! Since this fine ambassador is delusional enough to believe that he can directly disobey WA law, his plan for rectifying this is to... write... a new... WA law... oh... The logic there is a bit off. Just a tad. Please feel free to list other examples.

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Didn't you learn anything from your last tilt at that windmill? Seriously?

It clearly wasn't tilting at windmills, given your support of "creative compliance". In any event, I learned that GAR #2 prohibited me from passing a resolution governing the interpretation of resolutions, hence this repeal.

You cannot stop creative compliance. We proved that the last time you swung at that junkball. Feel free to write up whatever you'd like though! After all you believe that WA laws are meaningless and can be ignored whenever you desire, so by all means write on bits of paper in your office. In your mind those are just as important as the serious work that we do here.

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Resolution enforcement? Did the Bar start serving half priced drinks?

Again, not everyone accepts the notion of mandatory compliance. You can consider this a test to see how the mods will respond to an argument that assumes potential non-compliance. ;)
Oh so you're asking the mods if it's ok to RP godmodding. Well mods don't generally interfere in RP, however your attempt to legislate RP conventions will fail.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Leutria wrote:To assume in a resolution that nations are being noncompliant seems to defeat the point.

I'm only assuming that nations occasionally engage in non-compliance. I am not assuming that non-compliance is the norm.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Auralia wrote:
Leutria wrote:To assume in a resolution that nations are being noncompliant seems to defeat the point.

I'm only assuming that nations occasionally engage in non-compliance. I am not assuming that non-compliance is the norm.

Doesn't matter. If I can ignore the resolution saying that I can't ignore other resolutions, then what is the bloody point?
Ideological Bulwark #253

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:You do not need to find war acceptable to recognize that one must allow it to occur under certain circumstances. Because while war may not always be a legitimate tool of politics, it certainly can be. To claim otherwise is absurdity.

Except GAR #2 does not require that wars be just. It requires that war be consensual. Consensual wars are not always just, and just wars are not always consensual.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Ladies and gentlemen here you have it! Since this fine ambassador is delusional enough to believe that he can directly disobey WA law, his plan for rectifying this is to... write... a new... WA law... oh... The logic there is a bit off. Just a tad. Please feel free to list other examples.

Defying international law carries with it numerous consequences; it is not something to be taken lightly. Auralia's foreign relations have undoubtedly suffered as a result of its policy of non-compliance with several WA resolutions. So yes, international law still carries significant weight even if non-compliance is possible.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:It clearly wasn't tilting at windmills, given your support of "creative compliance". In any event, I learned that GAR #2 prohibited me from passing a resolution governing the interpretation of resolutions, hence this repeal.

You cannot stop creative compliance. We proved that the last time you swung at that junkball. Feel free to write up whatever you'd like though! After all you believe that WA laws are meaningless and can be ignored whenever you desire, so by all means write on bits of paper in your office. In your mind those are just as important as the serious work that we do here.

No, you didn't. Not at all. You only established that (at least according to the interpretation of our current mods) GAR #2 is a barrier to the enforcement of proper interpretations of resolutions. With this repeal, I hope to remedy that.

See above for my comments on non-compliance.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:58 pm

So now the WA can intervene in war? How?
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:You do not need to find war acceptable to recognize that one must allow it to occur under certain circumstances. Because while war may not always be a legitimate tool of politics, it certainly can be. To claim otherwise is absurdity.

Except GAR #2 does not require that wars be just. It requires that war be consensual. Consensual wars are not always just, and just wars are not always consensual.

I asked for examples below and you failed to deliver them. I suppose I'll ask again.
Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Ladies and gentlemen here you have it! Since this fine ambassador is delusional enough to believe that he can directly disobey WA law, his plan for rectifying this is to... write... a new... WA law... oh... The logic there is a bit off. Just a tad. Please feel free to list other examples.

Defying international law carries with it numerous consequences; it is not something to be taken lightly. Auralia's foreign relations have undoubtedly suffered as a result of its policy of non-compliance with several WA resolutions. So yes, international law still carries significant weight even if non-compliance is possible.

The continued insanity of the Auralian delegation deeply saddens me. Compliance is mandatory.

OOC: Your RP wank is not what I asked for examples of, I asked for examples of other types of wars. Also, you have made it clear that you will seek to godmod your way out of any situation the WA puts you in, so from now on i'd personally appreciate it if you'd just leave it at noncompliance without going through a painstaking list of how you have attempted to justify it.

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:You cannot stop creative compliance. We proved that the last time you swung at that junkball. Feel free to write up whatever you'd like though! After all you believe that WA laws are meaningless and can be ignored whenever you desire, so by all means write on bits of paper in your office. In your mind those are just as important as the serious work that we do here.

No, you didn't. Not at all. You only established that (at least according to the interpretation of our current mods) GAR #2 is a barrier to the enforcement of proper interpretations of resolutions. With this repeal, I hope to remedy that.

It is almost enough for one to wish that this repeal would be successful, merely to be able to decimate such an argument again.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:53 am

Auralia wrote:Not everyone accepts the notion of mandatory compliance. In addition, not every potential reason for legitimate intervention in the affairs of other member states is authorized by WA resolution, and to assume that could ever be the case is rather naive.

Who really cares? Mandatory compliance is a direct result of the inability to write 40 page resolutions with all the enforcement mechanisms in place. If a player is going to outright ignore the mandatory compliance of WA resolutions do you seriously think that the existence of yet another WA resolution is going to result in enforced compliance? The only effective weapon against people who God Mod against the generally accepted rules is not more rules but the IGNORE CANON.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:13 am

I have only one question.

If your repeal and replace succeeds, will you suddenly adopt the laws you currently ignore?

If your answer is ANYTHING other than yes, this whole process is pointless.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:16 pm

I would write this differently. Generally, your language could use a bit more flourish!
Concerned that Rights and Duties blocks the World Assembly from addressing massive violations of human rights and does not permit the World Assembly to help bring an end to increasingly deadly civil wars and international armed conflicts,

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Marshal of the Fleet Alcon Enta leans back in his seat and steeples his fingers. "While I can agree that the rights and duties could use a sound reworking, I have serious doubts about the ability of the Star Empire to find palatable and replacement that you would put forth Ambassador."

Resting his chin on those fingertips he leans in a bit. "You have already tried to shoehorn the flawed idea of just war into it, I suspect that to be your main intent."

Scowling he continues "So it seems to me that should you actually succeed in what you intend you'd not be able to get a replacement passed, leaving this august body adrift."

Shaking his head he reaches for his flask. "The wanton destruction of this assembly is a thing no sane man would wish for, Therefore we cannot support your attempt to repeal at this time."
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Mardenstrum
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mardenstrum » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:07 pm

His Highness cannot feel the need to support this, and must agree with the other nations that-

The Mardenian ambassador stopped speaking as Prince Martius raised his hand.

"Ever heard of a simple no?" asked Martius to his ambassador.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Ainocra wrote:Resting his chin on those fingertips he leans in a bit. "You have already tried to shoehorn the flawed idea of just war into it, I suspect that to be your main intent."

Be fair, now. They also intend to put millions of people out of work.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Ainocra wrote:Resting his chin on those fingertips he leans in a bit. "You have already tried to shoehorn the flawed idea of just war into it, I suspect that to be your main intent."

Be fair, now. They also intend to put millions of people out of work.

The Marshal inclines his head in agreement "Not to mention establishing language that would inevitably lead to this body becoming a police state."
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I asked for examples below and you failed to deliver them. I suppose I'll ask again.

An example of a consensual, unjust war is a war in which two nations are at war, but both nations seek to acquire territory from the other and so neither can be considered to have been acting in self-defence.

An example of a non-consensual, just war is a peacemaking operation or a humanitarian intervention.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:The continued insanity of the Auralian delegation deeply saddens me. Compliance is mandatory.

No, it isn't. Isn't anyone else concerned for the health of the Mallorean and Rivan delegatation, given that they seem to believe that national law is automatically re-written by magical gnomes upon the passage of WA resolutions?

Mallorea and Riva wrote:It is almost enough for one to wish that this repeal would be successful, merely to be able to decimate such an argument again.

You certainly didn't the last time, so I'd be interested to see what you'll say this time.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives