NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Debt Collection Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Calacstein
Civilian

Founded: Dec 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Pointless

Postby Calacstein » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Aranoff wrote:
United Federation of Canada wrote:How exactly did this travesty make quorum? This is juest awful, and we oppose this in all forms.

"We have to agree with the ambassador from the UFC. This bill is severely limited in its aim, and it fails to adequately provide a reasonable solution to a problem. It certainly has a laudable goal to the treat the symptom of a larger problem; however, it's aim is very short-sighted and poorly written. When this comes to vote, the Allied States of Aranoff shall be voting against such an act. The language of the resolution is terribly written and we simply cannot, in good conscience, vote for a proposal that provides a clause for 'legally illegitimate debt collectors' without establishing rules for all nations to adhere to what a 'legitimate debt collector' would reflect." Jennifer stated slowly. "To add, we have attempted to abolish debtor's prisons in the pass through this Assembly, and were met with vehemence among this council, and we concede that part of our argument tackled too much. This proposal tackles one specific problem, but not in any specific manner and has loopholes large enough for stars to pass through."

The Minister of Foreign Affairs on behalf of the President of Calacstein and its people as its representative in the World Assembly can and will not support this Act.

We are amazed that there are nations out there in the WA who can actually allow for this to reach a voting stage.

We support United Federation of Canada and the Allied States of Aranoff that this Act is ridiculous.

We have no problem with the grammar as not every Country or Ministry has the proper support, bit we do object that we have to institute another WA Act on our people which adds no value. Within the Constitution of Calacstein we address trespassing on private property which will safeguard citizens from abusive behaviour by debt collectors.

The intention is good but ill conceived and not relevant to the WA. This is a domestic issue and should be dealt in such a way.

Regards
Department of Foreign Affairs

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:47 pm

How on earth did this proposal get to vote?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Great Nepal wrote:How on earth did this proposal get to vote?

Trigger-happy delegates.
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:49 pm

San Leggera wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:How on earth did this proposal get to vote?

Trigger-happy delegates.

Is there any provisions in WA against disenfranchising deglates?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
San Leggera wrote:Trigger-happy delegates.

Is there any provisions in WA against disenfranchising deglates?

WA administration does not eject nations for approving random bullshit if they're delegates.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Is there any provisions in WA against disenfranchising deglates?

"No, but there is a strong tradition of defenestrating delegates..."

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:11 pm

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a quality proposal ensuring fairness in debt collection, but the proposal on the floor is anything but "quality." Against.

Leonard Roku
Quelesian Minister of Foreign Affairs
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Is there any provisions in WA against disenfranchising deglates?

"Perhaps it is time to draft a proposal concerning this very issue," said Matthew. "It would even help resolve such diverse issues as the endless debates over male circumcision and abortion. I wonder if it would be a significant or strong Political Stability resolution."

"On a serious note, regarding this proposal I have little to add. We oppose it on the basis that this is not an international issue and that the language leaves much to be desired."
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Bahanesia WA Mission
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahanesia WA Mission » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Response

The Bahanesian Delegation of the World Assembly hereby motions to OPPOSE this proposal on the grounds of:

• micro-management of member-nations's legislations/provisions regarding producer-consumer relations

• unnecessary guidelines of action that resemble that of military instructions and practice on the field of war

• creates further incentive for payments to be delayed through protections granted to affiliates presented in this proposal

• creates inefficiency for collection agencies wishing to carry out their tasks

• requires the attention of several professionals to carry out and assist in the mundane and ordinary task of collecting materiels owed by disadvantaged/handicap affiliates to a collection agency.

Further commentary

This proposal is utterly unavailing and serves no definite purpose other than hurting the efficiency and practices of business wishing to re-gain their loans from irresponsible and impetuous individuals who have failed to return the favor.

Further noting that collection agencies have been required to collect from borrowers, who have failed to issue their payment back, and stressing that such action by institutions necessitates and legal justifies their visitation into their homes, etc.

- Lord Surapat Jans, BCMG

General Assembly Representative • Bahanesia
Last edited by Bahanesia WA Mission on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_____ __________________WA_______

The WA Delegation of the Grand Commonwealth of Bahanesia

Contact form

467 Diplomacy Drive
Office #46-BB, Building No.5, 3-6
Government Core, Suhatra ACA, BH
Administration

Chief Diplomat: The Hon. Derwaje Brishunt, CD
General Assembly Representative: Lord Surapat Jans, BCMG
Security Council Observer: Mrs. Thandie Wyj, BBS

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:04 am

"Aaah." Lady Malréd sighed as she followed the vote count, having a glass of her favorite scotch poured by an aide. Once again the ambassadors proved themselves more than able to halt the worst excesses of the illiterate minority of WA Delegates. Sipping her drink the ambassador-delegate relaxed and followed the debate, that seemed finally to have dropped its focus on process, with the occasional nod of approval. Sensibility would seem to prevail once again in the Festering Snakepit.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Little Tralfamadore
Spokesperson

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Little Tralfamadore » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 am

Something like bill collections should not be decided on a global nature. That is way way too big of a government. Bill collection laws are best decided with basic laws on a national scale and more detailed laws on a state level.

also the law states it covers so-called "loan-sharks" but fails to define such a vague term.
p
Bill collectors could never do their job if these laws were passed. A child who lets the person in the property makes the collection illegal? A parrent can just have the kid open up the door. Or claim that they did.

If the person who opened the door is an adult but is later found to be mentally or physically defective in some way then the collection is illegal. Are bill collectors supposed to have medical professionals with them at all time and then give the professional however many days it may take to determine their ability to open a door? Afterwards it would be child play for the debtor to find a doctor willing to testify he was disabled in someway.

There are several other problems but really just the fact that it is not a global-level issue for it to need a global-level law.

Recruiter of the Ethical
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Recruiter of the Ethical » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 am

This legislation is rather "eary-fairy". Individuals can fabricate information and stop themselves from having debt paid because they don't have to pay as a result of supposed "privacy and human rights" conditions established in this law. Second it undermines regional and national legislation.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 am

Eireann Fae wrote:

"Hwhich we can only do if they bother to meet with the rest of us on the first paw, hwhich the sort of delegates who approve proposals like this one generally don't do..."
:(
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Mesogirian WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesogirian WA Mission » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:18 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Eireann Fae wrote:

"Hwhich we can only do if they bother to meet with the rest of us on the first paw, hwhich the sort of delegates who approve proposals like this one generally don't do..."
:(

But we know where they live, right?
Kelly Rodriguez

Mesogirian WA Mission Delegate

Vagabundas
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vagabundas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Micromanegement, Confusing and it invades Domestic issues. We are against this legislation!
King Mark III

Prime-Minister: Henrique Rodrigues da Mota aka HRM

Royal Cabinet of the Constitutional Monarchy of Vagabundas:
Deputy Prime-Minister: William Layton
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Claude Vontrammp
Minister of the Economy: Júlio Montenegra
Minister of Social Security: John Bridges
Minister of Education and Culture: Julia Windelhanm
Minister of Infraestructure: Arthur Virencio
Minister of Defense: Lord H.K. Camphbell
Minister of Labor and Employment: Lady Kate Hoffmann
Minister of Transportation: Fernando Kavadiña
Minister of Environment: Luisa P. Castro
President of the UHS (Unified Health System): Dr. Jorge Varella
Secretary of Sports: Jefferson Doyle

Splanger
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Splanger » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 pm

I find two flaws in the proposed legislation:

1) as correctly identified earlier, not all nations ascribe to the age of 18 being the benchmark to adulthood;

2) requiring the owner or part owner of a property to grant access. So if the property is a rental? This could be clearer or be broadened to include tenant.

Having said that, I voted for it anyway as I believe in the responsible exercise of power. Unless it's my government wielding the power....

GO RAVENS

Terra Dans
Civilian

Founded: Feb 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Dans » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Splanger wrote:I find two flaws in the proposed legislation:

1) as correctly identified earlier, not all nations ascribe to the age of 18 being the benchmark to adulthood;

2) requiring the owner or part owner of a property to grant access. So if the property is a rental? This could be clearer or be broadened to include tenant.

Having said that, I voted for it anyway as I believe in the responsible exercise of power. Unless it's my government wielding the power....

GO RAVENS

Um, expanding on the rental question, if ownership of a property is split between multiple people, then the debt collect can't legally enter as none of the owners have the authority to let him in.

Splanger
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Splanger » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:09 pm

The legislation proposes that part owner is enough. But what if the other owners want to refuse entry? A good point.

Bonapartae
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bonapartae » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:41 pm

I must concur with my colleagues this resolution is flawed and must not pass.

President Napoleon Sinclair
Republic of Bonapartae

United Reverse Federation
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Reverse Federation » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Just then the United Reverse Federation's leaders realized they always voted with the minority

Nicer potlimitomaha
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nicer potlimitomaha » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Neo-Manchukuo wrote:Matters of reasonable debt collection are best left to individual member states and their governments, not by a large body of nation states as a whole for a World Assembly resolution. It's a poorly written resolution that's so vague and nonsensical that implementation seems unlikely should it actually pass.

What he said.

Jana Tamis
Potlimitomaha Ambassador to the WA
Joined in 2012. Recently rejoined after a 6 year pause.

Wewak
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wewak » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:59 am

There is nothing wrong with the idea of having an International Debts Collection Act for Nation States. However this proposal for resolution is not done properly or should I say without regards for Nation States consideration. I suggest a redraft of this proposal with due considerations for all member Nations prior to proposing a r :) esolution . :

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:09 am

I haven't seen this happen before. Curiously, this issue has caused 10KI's ingame vote to split right down the middle. 51% to 49%, hovering around there. (Earlier it was 50-50). For an issue to be so controversial as to cause an even split is no small feat.

:bow:

Honkong
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Honkong » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Clearly a question that is not worthy to be discussed in the amdiramle halls of the WA ..
Ashamed, we must confess to the fact , that also our Ambassador at the WA gave his blessing and his vote to this shameful Bill without reading it ...
In these minutes, The President of the Federal Republic deals with his letter of resignation... :oops:

The President himself has arranged to vote AGAINST now...
Last edited by Honkong on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Schwarznia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwarznia » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

The People's Republic of Schwarznia is apalled at all countries who oppose this piece of legislation. It essentially clarifies that those in debt to others still have basic human rights to not have their living space breached through means of force or without their/the owner's permission.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.90
(Based on a scale of -10 to 10; negative is left/libertarian)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives