NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Debt Collection Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Debt Collection Act

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 am

Well, since the author of this hasn't seen fit to start a debate on this proposal, and it's coming up for vote in a few hours, I guess I'll do it.

Debt Collection Act

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Aclany

Description: ACKNOWLEDGES that many people on low incomes turn to legitimate money lenders as a means of meeting living costs.

RECOGNIZES that legal monetary agreements must be respected by both parties with regards to the law in given nations.

STRESSES that the collection of debt must be enacted in a means respecting basic personal rights.

'Lender' herein refers to any non-governmental money lending institution representative, enacting collection of debt, either via money or property repossession, upon entering indebted individual’s place of residence. Governmental equivalents (revenue and customs officials, etc.) being assumed subject to national governmental law. In the case of 'Loan Sharks' the following restrictions apply if such organisations are permitted by the law to function. If considered legally illegitimate debt collectors, they then fall under relevant national legislation against such practice.

This act hereby mandates that all governments must impose the following restrictions.

On collection of debt from individuals living on private property

Lenders may not enter private property to receive debt payments:

If admitted into the property by an individual of 18 years or younger (or equivalent age of consent in given nation).

When admitted by an individual who does not own, or partially own the property.

Via means of force, including the breaking down of doors and windows, as well as physical intimidation of indebted individuals to pay debt.

If property is entered by other non-consensual means, for example lock picking the door, entering under false pretences, etc.

On collection of debt from an individual living in a non-private residence (retirement homes, hospices etc.)

Lenders may not enter said residences under the above conditions in addition to the following:

If admitted into the property outside of visiting hours or equivalent time restrictions.

When admitted by the indebted individual when not considered mentally capable of permitting the transaction (as judged by a relevant medical professional).

If the indebted individual is not in a physically healthy state to permit and/or enact the transaction. (as judged by a relevant medical professional)
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 am

Terrible, terrible. Excessive micromanagement, not an international issue and just badly written besides. We really need to raise the bar on WA proposals.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 am

Why not do what my bookie does and send Fourteen Week Freddy out to collect? I'm told Freedy has an excellent success rate, old bean. And its much simpler and efficient.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:26 pm

How exactly did this travesty make quorum? This is juest awful, and we oppose this in all forms.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:How exactly did this travesty make quorum? This is juest awful, and we oppose this in all forms.

How? Because of two reasons:
1.) Some delegates approve everything, regardless
2.) It has a nice touchy-feely feelgood title, and a significant number of delegates, the ones who don't approve everything automatically, approve anything that has a feelgood title without reading the text.

I swear sometimes that it would be possible to reach quorum with a feelgood title and the text nothing but Ramones lyrics. (if one of the ever watchful mods didn't delete it first as completely illegal.)
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:I swear sometimes that it would be possible to reach quorum with a feelgood title and the text nothing but Ramones lyrics. (if one of the ever watchful mods didn't delete it first as completely illegal.)

Ensuring Humanity in Medicine
Proposed By: Eireann Fae
Description: Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated
Just get me to the airport put me on a plane
Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane
I can't control my fingers I can't control my brain
Oh no no no no no
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go....
Just put me in a wheelchair, get me on a plane
Oh no no no no no
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-o I wanna be sedated
Just put me in a wheelchair get me to the show
Hurry hurry hurry before I go loco
I can't control my fingers I can't control my toes
Oh no no no no no
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go...
Just put me in a wheelchair...
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated

"Let's make it happen!" Alexandra pulls out a stereo and puts on the relevant song at full volume and begins dancing around the chamber.
Last edited by Eireann Fae on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aranoff
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aranoff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:How exactly did this travesty make quorum? This is juest awful, and we oppose this in all forms.

"We have to agree with the ambassador from the UFC. This bill is severely limited in its aim, and it fails to adequately provide a reasonable solution to a problem. It certainly has a laudable goal to the treat the symptom of a larger problem; however, it's aim is very short-sighted and poorly written. When this comes to vote, the Allied States of Aranoff shall be voting against such an act. The language of the resolution is terribly written and we simply cannot, in good conscience, vote for a proposal that provides a clause for 'legally illegitimate debt collectors' without establishing rules for all nations to adhere to what a 'legitimate debt collector' would reflect." Jennifer stated slowly. "To add, we have attempted to abolish debtor's prisons in the pass through this Assembly, and were met with vehemence among this council, and we concede that part of our argument tackled too much. This proposal tackles one specific problem, but not in any specific manner and has loopholes large enough for stars to pass through."
Ambassador to WA: Ms. Jennifer S. Schlachter
Executive: Swenson Von Strüpengard
The Allied States of Aranoff
Aranoff Factbook

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 pm

While I don't like to label myself as IntFed or NatSov, I do of course take into consideration whether or not the issue presented before us is deserving of international legislation. I would usually like the author to specify why exactly the issue does warrant such legislation. However, I can see no correlation between debt collection and international affairs. For this reason alone, this resolution is not worthy of quorum. Further, it is far from fitting under the scope of the chosen category, and is disastrously written.

I expect much better of my colleagues in the World Assembly.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Kulaloe WA
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kulaloe WA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Ossitania wrote:Terrible, terrible. Excessive micromanagement, not an international issue and just badly written besides. We really need to raise the bar on WA proposals.

I agree with you completely. Also not to mention that the Ambassador submitting this doesn't seem to be aware that not all nations have 18 as the age of majority (my nation has it at 17) and that there are some species in the nations of this Assembly whose lifespans make this quite trivial.
Lady Samantha Doogle, Narfolosh (Duke) and Tapakkukopi (Ambassador) of the Kulaloe Ton Hasaikukop (Kulaloe World Assembly) Delegation and Commander of the Kulaloe'hi Pagai Bavei Rik (Kulaloe'hi Region Liberation Force) - a UDL Merryman-ranked force

(Please note that she is often drunk or high during debate)

Kulaloe WA
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kulaloe WA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:I swear sometimes that it would be possible to reach quorum with a feelgood title and the text nothing but Ramones lyrics. (if one of the ever watchful mods didn't delete it first as completely illegal.)

Oh no no no no no
Oh no no no no no
Oh no no no no no

"Let's make it happen!" Alexandra pulls out a stereo and puts on the relevant song at full volume and begins dancing around the chamber.

I love this song! *lights a joint* I'm getting sedated right now...
Lady Samantha Doogle, Narfolosh (Duke) and Tapakkukopi (Ambassador) of the Kulaloe Ton Hasaikukop (Kulaloe World Assembly) Delegation and Commander of the Kulaloe'hi Pagai Bavei Rik (Kulaloe'hi Region Liberation Force) - a UDL Merryman-ranked force

(Please note that she is often drunk or high during debate)

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 pm

"The resolution doesn't discuss what would happen if individuals were not willing to negotiate a debt settlement with their lenders."

WA Ambassador Gerhard Schauble
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 am

This is indeed terrible micromanagement, and the issue is not one which is worthy of the World Assembly's time. I hope this Assembly votes down this misguided legislation, and we can all move on with our daily lives without having this shoddy resolution on the books.

Francis Johannson,
Ambassador to the World Assembly,
Welsh Cowboy
Champions, 53rd Baptism of Fire

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 am

Oh no no no no no
Oh no no no no no
Oh no no no no no

Placing a big impossing APPROVED stamp on 'Ensuring Humanity in Medicine' while she distracted read through 'Debt Collection Act' Lady Malréd, confident that the EHM was a wonderful resolution, cleared her throat with one of her trademark coughs. "The Quendi WA Embassy and the Pardesi WA Delegation concurs with the various representations of this most august assembly that has spoken before us. To reiterate; we agree, in full, with every single previous speaker. The occurrence of unanimity in this most august assembly is such a rarity that it, to my knowledge, only happens when the most abhorrently dreadful proposals, which defies all political divergence by their indisputable infamy, are presented for the consideration of the General Assembly. Yet though I find this proposal to be just such an indiscutable piece of crap somehow 106 WA Delegates approved it." Lady Malréd, with growing fury, spoke.

"When I have taken the stand here today it is therefore not as much to join my fellow colleagues in uttering shock and dismay at the content of this proposal, as to comment on the general lack of sensibility that far to many of my fellow Delegates seem to display in their approvals." The ambassador continued, waving the DCA like a rallying banner for all to see. "Honored colleagues. Enough with the endless approving of utter nonsense. As Delegates we are supposed to act like gatekeepers shielding this most august assembly from the worst absurdities produced, not like agents of point- and meaningless legislature. My fellow Delegates, I besiege thee, let us end this tl;dr approach to our role as leaders of the assembly. From now on let us read the bloody things, so I plead to you. Thank you." Resuming her seat the Delegate sighed, depressed by the seeming ineptitude of a sizable portion of WA Delegates. How difficult could it be to read a bloody proposal, she pondered before reaching for 'Ensuring Humanity in Medicine'. "Oh." She gasped, reading it.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 am

We are actually a bit surprised that nobody is preparing a preemptive repeal draft in case this travesty manages to gather sufficient votes from the yes-lemmings to pass.

Not Ta'veren

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 am

My god, this is awful. Definite No.
~Ambassador Hardcastle
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:56 am

The Palentine wrote:Why not do what my bookie does and send Fourteen Week Freddy out to collect? I'm told Freedy has an excellent success rate, old bean. And its much simpler and efficient.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

If you could somehow manage to stay away from the tracks for five minutes you wouldn't have to worry about "Freddie". Just stay in the bar like we do, then submit your bartab to your government as "ambassadorial negotiations and entertainment expenses".

Hopefully, our Foreign Minister isn't reading this.

Not Ta'veren

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 am

Grays Harbor wrote:We are actually a bit surprised that nobody is preparing a preemptive repeal draft in case this travesty manages to gather sufficient votes from the yes-lemmings to pass.

"I for one am confident that the body of Ambassadors is able to tell Gold from Pyrite better than the body of Delegates, even if it ought be the reverse." Lady Malréd replied, throwing 'Ensuring Humanity in Medicine' in a trash bin. "If no preemptive repeal is written, the Quendi WA Embassy will however draft a such in the event that DCA passes."
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

United Bobtopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Bobtopia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 am

I think we all agree that the debt collection act is a travesty, and veers far from the noble goals of this organization.

Moving to more important matters, Bobtopia does applaud the Ensuring Humanity in Medicine resolution, and we will go as far as to say that we are already currently sedated, and we wish merely for another Representative to help get us to a plane.

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:We are actually a bit surprised that nobody is preparing a preemptive repeal draft in case this travesty manages to gather sufficient votes from the yes-lemmings to pass.

This entire delegation is praying profusely for the failure of this resolution, particularly our secretaries. They must send a report back to the Foreign Affairs Minister on every passed resolution of at least 3 pages. Particularly annoying for them would be sitting and typing a report while their friends attend the premier fashion show in Welsh Cowboy.

In Hope for Failure,
Delegation to the WA,
Republic of Welsh Cowboy
Champions, 53rd Baptism of Fire

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 am

Welsh Cowboy wrote:

This entire delegation is praying profusely for the failure of this resolution, particularly our secretaries. They must send a report back to the Foreign Affairs Minister on every passed resolution of at least 3 pages. Particularly annoying for them would be sitting and typing a report while their friends attend the premier fashion show in Welsh Cowboy.

In Hope for Failure,
Delegation to the WA,
Republic of Welsh Cowboy

Having just read this nonsense, I'll be drafting it tonight.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Mesogirian WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesogirian WA Mission » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:18 pm

Abacathea wrote:Having just read this nonsense, I'll be drafting it tonight.

Acknowledging the positive motives of the Debt Collection Act,

Recognizing, however, that this resolution was passed with numerous flaws and imperfections,

Noting, especially, the poor grammar, the ambiguity of which prevents the resolution from being enforced in any way,

Appalled that any resolution so badly drafted could pass this august assembly,

Disappointed that the resolution was proposed without international consultation or revision,

and Hoping that future international legislation is handled with greater care and deliberation

the WA hereby repeals the Debt Collection Act.

Short and to the point, no?
Kelly Rodriguez

Mesogirian WA Mission Delegate

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 pm

Mesogirian WA Mission wrote:

Recognizing, however, that this resolution was passed with numerous flaws and imperfections,

Noting, especially, the poor grammar, the ambiguity of which prevents the resolution from being enforced in any way,

Unfortunately lacking in surprise that such drivel could make it in the Festering Snakepit,

Disappointed that the resolution was proposed without international consultation or revision,

and Hoping that future international legislation is handled with greater care and deliberation

"Fixed that for you," Alex grins.

Mesogirian WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesogirian WA Mission » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:

Unfortunately lacking in surprise that such drivel could make it in the Festering Snakepit,

That may not be the most politic thing to say, and it would be a shame it if sunk the resolution for its bluntness.
Kelly Rodriguez

Mesogirian WA Mission Delegate

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 pm

I propose a copy of that repeal be kept on file somewhere just in case we need to augment it for future bonehead resolutions.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:

That may not be the most politic thing to say, and it would be a shame it if sunk the resolution for its bluntness.

You've never read World Assembly Headquarters, have you?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives