NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] WA Development Foundation

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 am

Bears Armed wrote:*snip*

For the sake of accuracy, I'd like to point out that it was Glen-Rhodes, not I, who said "major investment into developing countries would have a significant impact on the world economy."
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Auralia wrote:Legality, thankfully, was never the issue. I already have one RECOMMENDS-esque clause that makes the proposal legal. The concern was whether I could submit it as Significant as opposed to Mild.

Ah, yes, I meant legality with regards to the Significant rating. Having one solid, universal mandate will make it unquestionably Significant. My own resolution provides precedent, but there is ample support for it if one searches the forums. Besides, it's good policy, and I'd like to see the clause become law anyways.

Bears Armed wrote:Even if it's investement using funds that would otherwise be invested in the lending nations' own economies instead? Even if it helps the developing nations to compete with the developed ones, and thereby hurts relevant businesses in the developed nations?

Competition may affect the bottom-line profit of monopolistic companies. But promoting competition is ultimately helpful to businesses in general. It's the entire purpose of free trade, really.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Ah, yes, I meant legality with regards to the Significant rating. Having one solid, universal mandate will make it unquestionably Significant. My own resolution provides precedent, but there is ample support for it if one searches the forums. Besides, it's good policy, and I'd like to see the clause become law anyways.

Done.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Auralia wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Ah, yes, I meant legality with regards to the Significant rating. Having one solid, universal mandate will make it unquestionably Significant. My own resolution provides precedent, but there is ample support for it if one searches the forums. Besides, it's good policy, and I'd like to see the clause become law anyways.

Done.

I agree that prohibiting member nations from defaulting on their debts is a significant act.

The slap-dash way it was included in a proposal that's supposed to be about voluntarily lending a helping hand to developing nations does not leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. The fact that it was added for the purely political purpose of making an otherwise optional proposal "significant" is equally distasteful.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Is that the smell of political capital burning up? My, but it does reek of something in here, doesn't it?
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:The slap-dash way it was included in a proposal that's supposed to be about voluntarily lending a helping hand to developing nations does not leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. The fact that it was added for the purely political purpose of making an otherwise optional proposal "significant" is equally distasteful.

No, it actually fits quite well. Nations should not be allowed to unilaterally absolve themselves of WA loan debt; the clause included is broader, but as GR pointed out, it's good policy anyways.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:*snip*

For the sake of accuracy, I'd like to point out that it was Glen-Rhodes, not I, who said "major investment into developing countries would have a significant impact on the world economy."

Oops! Fixed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:The slap-dash way it was included in a proposal that's supposed to be about voluntarily lending a helping hand to developing nations does not leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. The fact that it was added for the purely political purpose of making an otherwise optional proposal "significant" is equally distasteful.

There is nothing Auralian delegation can change that will earn your delegation's support, so your words fall upon deaf ears. We are all well-aware that your delegation's concern over this proposal's legality has always been based in your delegation's staunch opposition to the very concept of international investment.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

There is nothing Auralian delegation can change that will earn your delegation's support, so your words fall upon deaf ears. We are all well-aware that your delegation's concern over this proposal's legality has always been based in your delegation's staunch opposition to the very concept of international investment.

Perhaps the Cowardly delegation objects to what they see as illegal government interference in international investment, and would consider a differently structured proposal.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Free South Califas wrote:Perhaps the Cowardly delegation objects to what they see as illegal government interference in international investment, and would consider a differently structured proposal.

An international organization helping to facilitate development loans is not "illegal government interference." The absurdity of the opposition is astounding...

Tanular
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanular » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

Or, more likely, the Pacifistic delegation simply feels, as I myself, that this proposal has gone from being serious to being farcical because, instead of simply adjusting the proposal's strength, the author decided to patch another issue that has its own merits into this proposal for the sole purpose of justifying the strength categorization. In other words, it isn't being included because its relevant or a good idea, but SOLELY for the purpose of paperwork.

And that, quite frankly, is poppycock and insulting to the WA itself.
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby IV
Tanulari Ambassador to the World Assembly

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Perhaps the Cowardly delegation objects to what they see as illegal government interference in international investment, and would consider a differently structured proposal.

An international organization helping to facilitate development loans is not "illegal government interference." The absurdity of the opposition is astounding...

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

It's good to see that Glen-Rhodes is continuing its righteous crusade to improve the quality of debate by marginalizing others and knocking over straw men. Keep up the good work.

Your blustering aside, I was opposed to this proposal being submitted as significant based on my correct assessment that it is largely optional. Now that you've given up on your ridiculous argument about the proposal's possible effects and actually included a universal mandate, that issue is resolved.

But the fact that you included that provision simply so this proposal would be legal if submitted as "significant" is distasteful politicking that would produce shame in any respectable delegation. Of course, I'm beginning to understand that Auralia and Glen-Rhodes are not above such maneuvers if it means they can look back and guffaw about this "significant" optional loan and insurance proposal.
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:...I was opposed to this proposal being submitted as significant based on my correct assessment that it is largely optional. Now that you've given up on your ridiculous argument about the proposal's possible effects and actually included a universal mandate, that issue is resolved.

But the fact that you included that provision simply so this proposal would be legal if submitted as "significant" is distasteful politicking that would produce shame in any respectable delegation. Of course, I'm beginning to understand that Auralia and Glen-Rhodes are not above such maneuvers if it means they can look back and guffaw about this "significant" optional loan and insurance proposal.

"While I also find the distasteful politicking somewhat ... distasteful, I wish to point out that the new mandate is quite sensible and arguments against it should not be based solely on the genetic fallacy. I am also not particularly concerned with whether this proposal should be Mild or Significant, but for the record, Glen-Rhodes' arguments sound more convincing to me based on my guess at the likely impact of this 'optional' resolution. At this point, we are provisionally in favour of the proposal."
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Discoveria wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:...I was opposed to this proposal being submitted as significant based on my correct assessment that it is largely optional. Now that you've given up on your ridiculous argument about the proposal's possible effects and actually included a universal mandate, that issue is resolved.

"While I also find the distasteful politicking somewhat ... distasteful, I wish to point out that the new mandate is quite sensible and arguments against it should not be based solely on the genetic fallacy. I am also not particularly concerned with whether this proposal should be Mild or Significant, but for the record, Glen-Rhodes' arguments sound more convincing to me based on my guess at the likely impact of this 'optional' resolution. At this point, we are provisionally in favour of the proposal."

To be clear, I'm not arguing against the new debt-absolution provision based on the reason for its inclusion. I simply find it astounding that the provision was included not because it is good policy, but because the author and proponents of this legislation desperately want it to have a "significant" strength.

As always, my opposition to this is based on my philosophical disagreement with using the WA to furnish loans and provide investment insurance.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:To be clear, I'm not arguing against the new debt-absolution provision based on the reason for its inclusion. I simply find it astounding that the provision was included not because it is good policy, but because the author and proponents of this legislation desperately want it to have a "significant" strength.

So you are just going to ignore how both Auralia and I have said it's good policy (using that exact term)? It both good policy and a way to end your rules lawyering.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:So you are just going to ignore how both Auralia and I have said it's good policy (using that exact term)? It both good policy and a way to end your rules lawyering.

I'm willing to admit that it's good policy. Frankly I'm surprised something like it wasn't included earlier when I was pointing out the danger of default and the historical problem of nations failing to honor their debts. Though at the time I seem to remember that certain nations were content to pretend that would never happen.

I'm really just outraged and disappointed that Glen-Rhodes is more interested in seeing this proposal be "significant" than in making good policy. You didn't care about policy when you proposed the amendment. It was solely for your own gratification, so that you could see this proposal submitted with a "significant" strength:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:But I doubt anybody here is going to be convinced one way or the other, and at least one mod is a sure-fire "illegal" vote. So I suggest Auralia just borrow from my old resolution and say that no member state can unilaterally absolve their debt. Including one feckless mandate will unquestionably make the proposal legal. (And if you believe that words are magic in the WA, then it isn't even a feckless mandate!)

In any case, shouldn't we go further and prohibit nations from defaulting, unilaterally restructuring, or otherwise failing to honor their debts? If we did, we could remove the provision in Article IV:1 regarding "governmental failure to honour financial obligations." I don't see why we should insure against something that we could simply avoid by direct legislation.

Though I'm sure my suggestion will be dismissed as just another example of crazy opposition thinking... :roll:

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:55 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I'm really just outraged and disappointed that Glen-Rhodes is more interested in seeing this proposal be "significant" than in making good policy. You didn't care about policy when you proposed the amendment. It was solely for your own gratification, so that you could see this proposal submitted with a "significant" strength.

As a substantive matter, I don't really care what strength it is. I argued its legality as a significant resolution because I believe the interpretation of the rules the mods were about to accept was absolutely illogical and horrendous. I am interested in fighting against what I believe is a perpetual bastardization of game mechanics by a few mods who have no consistent logical understanding of what game mechanics is and why the rules actually exist. I'm interested in pushing against stupid and arbitrary interpretations of the rules, of which (no personal insult intended) your legality argument is part and parcel.

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:In any case, shouldn't we go further and prohibit nations from defaulting, unilaterally restructuring, or otherwise failing to honor their debts? If we did, we could remove the provision in Article IV:1 regarding "governmental failure to honour financial obligations." I don't see why we should insure against something that we could simply avoid by direct legislation.

Not entirely, for reasons I will expand upon once I'm not limited by my phones keyboard. I'll say now, though, that unilateral restructuring is just a creative way to say default.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:As a substantive matter, I don't really care what strength it is. I argued its legality as a significant resolution because I believe the interpretation of the rules the mods were about to accept was absolutely illogical and horrendous. I am interested in fighting against what I believe is a perpetual bastardization of game mechanics by a few mods who have no consistent logical understanding of what game mechanics is and why the rules actually exist. I'm interested in pushing against stupid and arbitrary interpretations of the rules, of which (no personal insult intended) your legality argument is part and parcel.
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:In any case, shouldn't we go further and prohibit nations from defaulting, unilaterally restructuring, or otherwise failing to honor their debts? If we did, we could remove the provision in Article IV:1 regarding "governmental failure to honour financial obligations." I don't see why we should insure against something that we could simply avoid by direct legislation.

Not entirely, for reasons I will expand upon once I'm not limited by my phones keyboard. I'll say now, though, that unilateral restructuring is just a creative way to say default.

Whatever. I'm sick of the whole business. You just keep patting yourself on the back and reminding yourself how you're always right and anyone who disagrees is just a moron.

As to that last bit, it was you who suggested earlier that restructuring and defaulting were two different things. Though as slippery as your logic is I'm not surprised to hear you say the exact opposite now.
Glen-Rhodes wrote:For what it's worth, restructuring occurs far more often than defaults. There's a lot of difficulty getting statistics on this, though, because defaults and debt restructuring are almost always grouped together. Both entail being unable to make scheduled debt payments, but restructuring means changing the debt agreements so that the debtor can continue to make payments, whereas default is actually failing to meet the agreements altogether.

Historically, all government restructuring is unilateral. Whenever the French monarchs would run out of money they would just call their creditors and explain France's new terms. Who can complain? They're a fricken nation; there's no court to sue them in. There's nothing you can do about it short of declaring war. And even then, going to war is no way to ensure that money will magically become available.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:18 am

I would not change IV.1 in any event because of the controversy over mandatory compliance.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Whatever. I'm sick of the whole business. You just keep patting yourself on the back and reminding yourself how you're always right and anyone who disagrees is just a moron.

I haven't called anyone a moron. I have a legitimate disagreement with how various mods and players believe the World Assembly works, and I engage in the debate whenever I see their interpretation gaining ground. You engaged in the very same activity, even if you don't have an over-arching goal of pushing back against a paradigm you find illogical and arbitrary. I don't think you're a moron for assuming the World Assembly works the way mods and the "Old Guard" have been saying it works. And I hope you don't think I'm a moron for having a different viewpoint.

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:As to that last bit, it was you who suggested earlier that restructuring and defaulting were two different things. Though as slippery as your logic is I'm not surprised to hear you say the exact opposite now.

No, I did not say that. No, I am not saying the opposite now. Restructuring isn't unilateral. It's an agreement between governments to establish new payment rules for debt, so that a default doesn't happen. Unilaterally deciding that you're not going to fully meet your existing payment obligations, or that you're not going to make a payment this month or this year, is called a default. That's why the term "unilateral restructuring" is just a creative way to say "defaulting."

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Historically, all government restructuring is unilateral. Whenever the French monarchs ...

A time period no longer relevant... Regardless, your scenario is not "unilateral restructuring." The French monarchy came to an agreement with their debtors, even if it was more of a coercion than a negotiation. The second party agreed to the restructuring. Unilateral entails that the second party doesn't come into play at all. Also, a developing country can't exactly tell developed states and international financial institutions to shove it.

But again, this is entirely irrelevant, because the post-19th century global financial system does not work in any way like the pre-19th century global financial system, nor does the 21st century global financial system bear much resemblance to any before it.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:54 pm

I plan to submit this within 24 hours.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:38 am

Submitted.

EDIT: Quorum.
Last edited by Auralia on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Wow that made quorum FAST! Congratulations and nice work on such a nicely written and well worded proposal. United Federation of Canada vote in favor of the resolution.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:13 pm

viewtopic.php?p=11493007#p11493007

Removed and I will be smacking people to get an answer back to you as fast as possible.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 pm

NERVUN wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=11493007#p11493007

Removed and I will be smacking people to get an answer back to you as fast as possible.

I thought they already modified the language since y'all didn't get back to them in time?

Edit: I completely oppose this piece of legislation, and will be unlikely to be persuaded to support it, but the inclusion of the line "No member nation shall unilaterally absolve itself of its sovereign debt." should make it significant in strength, shouldn't it? It was, I believe included for exactly that reason, and I'm fairly certain it passes muster on that count.

Since we're back to a drafting phase, I'll be offering some viewpoints tomorrow, but as for now, I'm completely mystified as to why this got deleted. Hopefully some light gets shed on it.

I'm not a moderator, so what do I know? As an author though, this sucks to see.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives