NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend The NationStates Community

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Azerzia
Attaché

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Azerzia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm

In the context of the proposal, it would not be the owner of the game but the owner of the communication company. Since a company has an owner I didn't feel his would be an issue. Theirs is fine since it can be interpreted as either a nation or gender neutral.
Again, I don't think either change is of enough importance to deserve a switch. Thank you to the Mods for checking this for me
With regards,
Marc Crayik, Prime Minister of Azerzia,
serving the people of Azerzia and his Majesty, King Maxius Rotae, Regent of the Realm, King of Stegol, High King of Nymela.
President of the Union of Democratic Leftist States

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:43 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course companies have owners; to contend that acknowledging this amounts to an R4 violation because the owner in this case doesn't have a nation is profoundly silly. And just because something says "rules" does not mean it's an illegal game reference. It wasn't talking about game rules at all (or was it?).
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Azerzia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Azerzia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:54 pm

In this case, it was the rules of the IPO which would be changed. I don't object to the change from rules to conditions one since conditions and rules are synonymous in this case; that said, I would assume IPO's have rules and conditions which can be altered.
With regards,
serving the people of Azerzia and his Majesty, King Maxius Rotae, Regent of the Realm, King of Stegol, High King of Nymela.

Azerzia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Azerzia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Submitted the proposal, and am now sending out TGs to delegates to endorse it
Last edited by Azerzia on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With regards,

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Yeah, I agree that ruling represents a pretty serious expansion on Rule 4. It sounds like now we've basically banned certain words entirely, without worrying about whether it violates the nation-simulation language guideline whatsoever.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Yeah, I agree that ruling represents a pretty serious expansion on Rule 4.

I had no intention of expanding Rule 4 - my comments were extemporaneous, not authoritative. I was simply trying to help explain what I thought Sedgistan was stating. Perhaps he (the Rule 4 expert) can come back and give a better explanation.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:29 pm

A mean old man wrote:Meh. April Fools was fun, but nah.

AMOM's statement essentially echos my thoughts on this proposal.
Retired

Azerzia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Azerzia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 am

With this submitted and getting fairly close to being in the queue, could I ask any of the mods to relook over the change in wording? Again, in this context, it was not a big deal since it was changing two words to synonymous words. But, as Crushing Our Enemies stated,
Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Yeah, I agree that ruling represents a pretty serious expansion on Rule 4. It sounds like now we've basically banned certain words entirely, without worrying about whether it violates the nation-simulation language guideline whatsoever.

So I am wondering if we could get someone to relook over this and make a ruling on if the original word choice of "rules" and "his" in this specific context, when used in reference to a change in rules for an event in the game, not game rules, and an individual within the game universe and not a nation?\.
With regards,

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:27 am

Specific words are not banned entirely from proposals - what matters is how they're used. The word "rules" was not acceptable in this case, as it was referring to site rules (either rules that players have to obey, or rules about how the game works). 'His' was not acceptable in this case, since it referred to Max Barry the person. The suggested changes, which you adopted, suitably 'fudged' the language so that the proposal was written in nation-simulation language.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:24 pm

http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_pas ... /start=224

Repeal 'Max Barry Day' wrote:Duly congratulating this resolution's intended honoree on his many titles from coed beauty pageants throughout the NS world;

If the GA allows it, why not the SC?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Clear references to Max Barry the site owner might've been allowed in the UN five years ago, but this is the WA Security Council, an entirely different body, and the rules are different.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Holy shit, OMGTKK, where the hell were you during Summer 2010? Remember when we were all arguing over Rule 4? What in God's name would make you think that referencing a resolution from a time when the rules were so different and from a defunct international body could possibly be a relevant argument in the WASC today?
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Azerzia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Azerzia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:10 pm

10 endorsements still needed. Hm, do my ten page paper due on Monday or get people to endorse this? :unsure:
With regards,

Azerzia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Azerzia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:48 pm

3 more, almost a day left. I think It'll reach quorum
With regards,

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:47 am

Sedgistan wrote:Clear references to Max Barry the site owner might've been allowed in the UN five years ago, but this is the WA Security Council, an entirely different body, and the rules are different.

So far as I was aware, R4 was instituted to prevent overt game references, not harmless metagaming. Ard said repeatedly that her intention was not to turn the SC into another bickering morass of pointless legalism like the GA. You're right: the SC and the GA are different bodies, but the SC is supposed to be the more lenient one.
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:15 am

I've posted a request for clarification on Rule 4 in Moderation, in light of the recent ruling.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:24 am

I think it's the fact that the "leader" of this company was player behind a nation. If this was an RP proposal or a GP/RP-confused proposal, and a "leader" could be referenced whose actions appeared separate from those of the "player behind the nation," I'm guessing it wouldn't be considered a R4 violation.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Quick question: I'm pretty sure the ownership of the nation The NationStates Community has changed hands since, but was The NationStates Community involved in raiding when it was located in The Black Hawks (NSHistory link)?
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:14 pm

As I understand it, NSC originally belonged to Mahaj who then gave it to Lyanna Stark on April Fool's Day. One of them can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it every belonged to anyone else, and I can say with certainty that it was never involved with The Black Hawks in a military capacity. Frankly, I have no clue what it was doing in our region.

EDIT: I did a little RMB research. This is the only post by that nation on The Black Hawks RMB: http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=515546. Sunrawr replied to it here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=515919. Clearly, it was under Mahaj control, as I assume above, and was just visiting.
Last edited by Crushing Our Enemies on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunRawr
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SunRawr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:EDIT: I did a little RMB research. This is the only post by that nation on The Black Hawks RMB: http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=515546. Sunrawr replied to it here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=515919. Clearly, it was under Mahaj control, as I assume above, and was just visiting.

If I remember correctly, I was just guessing it was Mahaj.

But yeah, never raided with us.

Azerzia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Azerzia » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:11 am

At vote now everyone. I encourage everyone to vote for this proposal or at least to read through the arguments for voting for it on this thread
With regards,

Delegate Vinage
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delegate Vinage » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:59 am

I, Lothar Prolark, World Assembly Delegate and Media Minister of Europeia am voting AYE on this Commendation after a 6/3 internal vote. What happened took time to organise and kept those not involved on the edge of their seat, wondering what was coming next. A commendation is appropriate given that The NationStates Community fully embraced the spirit of NationStates, made a positive contribution to the community as a whole as well as in-keeping with the spirit of the World Assembly.

Last edited by Delegate Vinage on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vinage V. Grey-Anumia
World Assembly Delegate &
Former President of Europeia

"The Delegate Wipes What The Region Spills"
"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:21 am

I will be voting AGAINST this commendation, because NS Community has not done anything worthwhile (let alone commendation worthy) in NS.

The IPO was fun, and that's about it. To commend this NS Community cheapens the commendations that have been issued to the more deserving nations before it.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43 am

Eist wrote:I will be voting AGAINST this commendation, because NS Community has not done anything worthwhile (let alone commendation worthy) in NS.

The IPO was fun, and that's about it. To commend this NS Community cheapens the commendations that have been issued to the more deserving nations before it.

The nation is symbolic to the whole community that worked behind the scenes to make April Fools what it was... the spirit behind their cause and the coming together of people was certainly commendable.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

The Asylum Manager
Attaché

Founded: Aug 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Asylum Manager » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:41 pm

We did not partake in this event, but we read part of the transcript of the talks and were surprised at the professionalism and the scope of it. This means we vote FOR and if we find our delegate voting NO will post a query concerning his/her motivation doing so. The voting system that was installed in our region has gone defunct and nobody has bothered to fix it so we are now unable to give instructions by majority.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives